Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden

Original post

Posted by GT, 25.03.2008 - 21:26
Since the old topic exceded its post limit here's the new topic about the band many of us like.

Last discussion in the old topic was about these shoes.

Post your thoughts and comments

EDIT: link to the old topic here
18.08.2011 - 07:12
kool7878

Somewhere in time FTW
18.08.2011 - 16:50
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by kool7878 on 18.08.2011 at 07:12

Somewhere in time FTW

Great album, underrated but not their best.
23.08.2011 - 14:42
Jirpo

Written by Guest on 18.08.2011 at 16:50

Written by kool7878 on 18.08.2011 at 07:12

Somewhere in time FTW

Great album, underrated but not their best.

Kinda contradictory, its usually considered one of their best if not their best
24.08.2011 - 02:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Jirpo on 23.08.2011 at 14:42

When you hear talk of Maiden's most classic albums, or a list of their classic albums, just about all of their other 80's albums are listed above Somewhere In Time. So I think it's perfectly reasonable to class it as underrated. lol
24.08.2011 - 05:35
Richard

Written by Angelic Storm on 24.08.2011 at 02:35

Written by Jirpo on 23.08.2011 at 14:42

When you hear talk of Maiden's most classic albums, or a list of their classic albums, just about all of their other 80's albums are listed above Somewhere In Time. So I think it's perfectly reasonable to class it as underrated. lol

Yes, Somewhere In Time was the awkward album between Powerslave and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and perhaps SiT gets overshadowed by those albums. SiT had the synths and cleaner sound coming in, but Seventh Son took it to the next level with some excellent songs.. some of Maiden's best songs are on Seventh Son, IMO.
----
24.08.2011 - 09:58
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Listened to their whole last album for the first time at a friend's birthday party. someone had the nerve to give it to him as a present, i was semi-drunk so i even threw caution to the wind and said something like "What the hell? why THIS album?" Iron Maiden... y u no keep it simple?

The Final Frontier (the actual song) is a decent melodic rock song, and El Dorado would be much better if it had a few minutes cut out of it, but the rest of the album is... even worse, Dickinson now thinks that the response to this album has been positive and they'll continue in the same direction in the future, thank you to all the fanboys for that.
24.08.2011 - 10:38
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Richard on 24.08.2011 at 05:35
Yes, Somewhere In Time was the awkward album between Powerslave and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and perhaps SiT gets overshadowed by those albums. SiT had the synths and cleaner sound coming in, but Seventh Son took it to the next level with some excellent songs.. some of Maiden's best songs are on Seventh Son, IMO.

Exactly! Maiden's other 80's albums are consistently listed in many "classic metal albums of all time" - type lists, whilst SIT rarely ever is. So I think it can be rightfully called underrated.

@Valentin: Well, even if you like Maiden's latest, it's not exactly party type music! (aside from maybe "El Dorado" lol) So it seems like a strange choice of Maiden album to throw on at a party...
24.08.2011 - 10:41
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.08.2011 at 10:38

@Valentin: Well, even if you like Maiden's latest, it's not exactly party type music! (aside from maybe "El Dorado" lol) So it seems like a strange choice of Maiden album to throw on at a party...

I forgot to mention, we were playing Mario Kart and Street Fighter all the way through it, so it's not like there was nothing else to do but listen to the music.
24.08.2011 - 10:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Valentin B on 24.08.2011 at 10:41
I forgot to mention, we were playing Mario Kart and Street Fighter all the way through it, so it's not like there was nothing else to do but listen to the music.

Well yep, I'd much rather be slamming around Mario Circuit and Waluigi Stadium (or giving out dragon punches ) to "Invaders" or "2 Minutes To Midnight", rather than "Where The Wild Wind Blows... hehe xD
25.08.2011 - 12:52
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.08.2011 at 10:48

Written by Valentin B on 24.08.2011 at 10:41

Well yep, I'd much rather be slamming around Mario Circuit and Waluigi Stadium (or giving out dragon punches ) to "Invaders" or "2 Minutes To Midnight", rather than "Where The Wild Wind Blows... hehe xD

Funny you should mention that, I always used to play Double-Dash with a strict playlist which I designated my mario kart playlist on my itunes. "Invaders" & Ensiferums "One More Magic Potion" + Wario Coliseum was probably my favourite combo.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.08.2011 - 10:45
Jirpo

I really hope they continue in the vein of the last albums. Songs like "Isle of Avalon" and "When the Wild Wind Blows" are masterpieces.

Also, I go on an Iron Maiden forum, we did an album survivor and Somewhere in Time won, so I would actually say its considered the best album from them, or maybe Seventh Son/Powerslave (the other two from the top 3).

Wtf is up with the Invaders love? That song is terrible. A bottom 10 Maiden song for me.
26.08.2011 - 12:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Jirpo on 26.08.2011 at 10:45

Also, I go on an Iron Maiden forum, we did an album survivor and Somewhere in Time won, so I would actually say its considered the best album from them, or maybe Seventh Son/Powerslave (the other two from the top 3).

Wtf is up with the Invaders love? That song is terrible. A bottom 10 Maiden song for me.

somewhere In Time is indeed not an underrated album at all. Imo, it gets way too much love. For me it's by far their worst of the first seven.

Totally agreed with you on Invaders. It is indeed a terrible song. Not bottom 10 for me cause it's still vastly superior to anything on their last three, but it certainly is one of the worst off the first seven albums.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.08.2011 - 19:37
HoleInTheSky1985

Couldn't agree more
27.08.2011 - 04:30
Richard

Written by HoleInTheSky1985 on 26.08.2011 at 19:37

Couldn't agree more

Then clearly you are an intelligent and decent fellow!

With regards to the other posts about 'Invaders' from 'Number of the Beast', why do some people dislike it? Maybe the chorus is a bit 'happy' and simple, but overall it's a pretty good song IMO.
----
28.08.2011 - 22:03
Storchillarn

SiT's got Alexander the Great. One of my favorites.. almost up there with To Tame a Land.
29.08.2011 - 10:29
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Storchillarn on 28.08.2011 at 22:03

SiT's got Alexander the Great. One of my favorites.. almost up there with To Tame a Land.

not to mention deja vu, SWEET JESUS
29.08.2011 - 17:16
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Imo Somewhere is, along with Killers and Piece of Mind, the most underrated Maiden albums of the 80s. i still know most of Seventh Son by heart but then again i haven't listened to it in years.
29.08.2011 - 20:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Doc G. on 25.08.2011 at 12:52
Funny you should mention that, I always used to play Double-Dash with a strict playlist which I designated my mario kart playlist on my itunes. "Invaders" & Ensiferums "One More Magic Potion" + Wario Coliseum was probably my favourite combo.

I always play games with the in-game music. (aside from certain games on the xbox, where I was able to incorporate my own music as proper in game music) But "Invaders" seems like a perfect choice to me if you're hurtling round Koopa Beach lobbing shells at other karts! lol

@Valentin: I totally agree with SIT being underrated. But not "Piece Of Mind", as I see it as the only 80's album with Bruce to contain a filler. ("Quest For Fire") "Killers", I dunno... it does have filler, but also has amazingly underrated songs like "Innocent Exile" "Murders In The Rue Morgue", and "Purgatory". On balance, I would agree that the majority of it is very underrated! xD
01.09.2011 - 00:48
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
I actually got into an argument with my friend last weekend because he dared to call Iron Maiden G.L.A.M. Metal... Saying that while they weren't from LA, they did start using that same look/feel to their music when they became mainstream. I had to get on a smart phone to show him the difference between 80's Heavy and GLAM

Then again a lot of people I know are very biased to anything that isn't American Thrash or stuff that sounds like it. Especially the Melodic stuff.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
01.09.2011 - 10:12
Fat & Sassy!

Nothing "bias" about that. Just straight-up ignorance is what that is.
01.09.2011 - 17:40
Storchillarn

I would be seriously irritated if someone I knew insisted that Maiden is a Glam Metal band. It's the same as when Opeth was listed under Goth Metal in the documentary 'A Headbanger's Journey'. Pissed me off. ^^
01.09.2011 - 18:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Storchillarn on 01.09.2011 at 17:40

I would be seriously irritated if someone I knew insisted that Maiden is a Glam Metal band. It's the same as when Opeth was listed under Goth Metal in the documentary 'A Headbanger's Journey'. Pissed me off. ^^

Ijust like it pisses me off when people classify Opeth as doom or death metal
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2011 - 23:47
Storchillarn

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2011 at 18:12

Written by Storchillarn on 01.09.2011 at 17:40

Ijust like it pisses me off when people classify Opeth as doom or death metal

Yep. We all know they're one of a kind.

But Maiden as a Glam band.. that is seriously wrong. Glam is basically the shittiest shit ever and by that standard, Maiden's the opposite of Glam.
01.12.2011 - 16:23
StRicardo6

I'm old Maiden fan and this band pull me in to Metal but...New albums let me feel this is not the same way of thinks...Whats wrong people..The band going transform to some not understandable (for me)this last epic albums with long not consumable starts of the songs,repeatable riffs with regulars tempo changes in all songs .... but with very good soloing and amazing singing of Bruce...Nothing wrong with Nicko but also he do copying and repeating himself ....I always waiting for something close to something what they do in the past,shortest songs with full of energy power ...Maybe next time i really dont know....make me feel i'm wrong but i think i'm not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Up The Irons !
01.12.2011 - 19:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Why would you wait for them to meet the quality of their past releases? They released classics what, 20+ years ago? There are too many issues with a band like Maiden for them to release anything worthwhile in this day and age. Everything they do is just a stripped down version of what they helped pioneer.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.12.2011 - 19:43
StRicardo6

I understand,but i know they have this power also today,but they dont think this way anymore and this is so sorry....They lose creatyvity for this kind of music or somethink,what they do is some kind of hard rock with heavy metal influences....good example is Judas Priest,after few good albums they throw out Painkiller,more heavy and powerful album ...
12.12.2011 - 06:15
Sacrificial

I am glad they don't try to do any "Number of the Beast II" or something like that these days, instead they want to discover new paths which could both turn out good and bad. And in Maiden's case (especially "A Matter of Life and Death") I think it's good.
12.12.2011 - 07:13
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by StRicardo6 on 02.12.2011 at 19:43

Good example is Judas Priest,after few good albums they throw out Painkiller,more heavy and powerful album ...

This is my favorite example....They put out my favorite album of theirs damn new 20 years into their career. I am very confident that Maiden will never top their 80's releases, but we can still hope for sometthing great.
12.12.2011 - 10:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Sacrificial on 12.12.2011 at 06:15
And in Maiden's case (especially "A Matter of Life and Death") I think it's good.

In the case of "A Matter Of Life And Death", yes. But not in the case of "The Final Frontier". That wasn't a very good album at all...
12.12.2011 - 18:11
StRicardo6

I think "A Matter of Life And Death" "Dance Of Death" "Final Frontier" have good moments too(in the global cases they fail),but not so good moments like "Brave New World",this was really good comeback 'Dickinson/Smith' album!!! all newer albums get some nice sold tops(but this not say nothing to me)..Dickinson did "Chemical Wedding" + "Accident Of Birth" and this albums can simply crash all after 2000 Maidens albums down easy !!!! The Energy in Maiden goes to minuses....Live shows is always very good like in old days,even new songs(this is not cased here...) i dont want The Number Of The Beast pt.II ,i just want some progress in looking forward = be more Metal not Hard Rock!!!!!!