Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden

Original post

Posted by GT, 25.03.2008 - 21:26
Since the old topic exceded its post limit here's the new topic about the band many of us like.

Last discussion in the old topic was about these shoes.

Post your thoughts and comments

EDIT: link to the old topic here
23.05.2014 - 03:06
Mattybu

Written by Angelic Storm on 19.05.2014 at 11:08

The Final Frontier is probably the weakest Maiden album with Bruce. More than half of that album is dull as dishwater.

I haven't heard every song off every one (of the Bruce albums, I mean), but I agree with that to an extent. I would go as far as to say there are maybe 2 complete minutes of fulfilling/interesting music on it. Not that there was any reason to expect greatness by 2010 in Iron Maiden's career but that album was very lackluster.

I think Fear of the Dark is the only worse album with Bruce involved, which is why I said "to an extent" above.
23.05.2014 - 07:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Mattybu on 23.05.2014 at 03:06
I haven't heard every song off every one (of the Bruce albums, I mean), but I agree with that to an extent. I would go as far as to say there are maybe 2 complete minutes of fulfilling/interesting music on it. Not that there was any reason to expect greatness by 2010 in Iron Maiden's career but that album was very lackluster.

I think Fear of the Dark is the only worse album with Bruce involved, which is why I said "to an extent" above.

I wouldn't go that far, but less than half of the album is appealing to me. "Fear Of The Dark" is a very patchy album, but I prefer it over TFF. There's more songs I like on FOTD than I do on TFF.
24.05.2014 - 01:42
Mattybu

Written by Angelic Storm on 23.05.2014 at 07:47

Written by Mattybu on 23.05.2014 at 03:06

I wouldn't go that far, but less than half of the album is appealing to me. "Fear Of The Dark" is a very patchy album, but I prefer it over TFF. There's more songs I like on FOTD than I do on TFF.

I can sort of see why people like Fear of the Dark. Of both of those albums the title track is the only song I could honestly say I like enough to listen to a few times every now and then. My main problem with FotD is it has some moments that go past "meh" and into "it would be embarrassing if I got caught listening to this" bad level
24.05.2014 - 09:26
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Mattybu on 24.05.2014 at 01:42
I can sort of see why people like Fear of the Dark. Of both of those albums the title track is the only song I could honestly say I like enough to listen to a few times every now and then. My main problem with FotD is it has some moments that go past "meh" and into "it would be embarrassing if I got caught listening to this" bad level

I'm assuming you mean Fear Of The Dark's title track, and not The Final Frontier's? hehe

I like Hysteria by Def Leppard, and I'm not embarrassed to say that I like it, so I definitely wouldn't be embarrassed to be caught listening to anything from FOTD. There are some songs on there which are certainly "iffy" though, let's just say that.
24.05.2014 - 14:53
raveneffect

Be Quick or be Dead
Waisting Love
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Childhood's End
Judas be My Guide.

yep, all bad songs
24.05.2014 - 17:14
Sang Dalang Abu

Written by raveneffect on 24.05.2014 at 14:53

Be Quick or be Dead
Waisting Love
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Childhood's End
Judas be My Guide.

yep, all bad songs

Be Quick or be Dead is good song dude. Just for me
24.05.2014 - 17:31
raveneffect

Forgot my [Irony][/irony] code
24.05.2014 - 17:32
Mattybu

Written by Angelic Storm on 24.05.2014 at 09:26

I'm assuming you mean Fear Of The Dark's title track, and not The Final Frontier's? hehe

I like Hysteria by Def Leppard, and I'm not embarrassed to say that I like it, so I definitely wouldn't be embarrassed to be caught listening to anything from FOTD. There are some songs on there which are certainly "iffy" though, let's just say that.

Yeah I probably should have been clearer on that, Fear of the Dark's title track is the one I like. I can honestly say I haven't listened to any song from the Final Frontier in years and really don't remember any details from it.

The first concert I ever went to was Iron Maiden actually, and they played Fear of the Dark (amidst mostly a crappy setlist, which I didn't care about cause I was seeing IRON MAIDEN ) and I remember enjoying it. But they also played Hallowed Be Thy Name which put into perspective how good it actually was.
17.06.2014 - 22:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.06.2014 - 04:30
Mattybu

Written by deadone on 18.06.2014 at 02:33

I had to wait for a very long time for Iron Maiden to get to Australia thanks to low Aussie dollar (how times have changed) and virtually no interest in metal in Australia in mid-late 1990s and early 2000s.

Well, at least you got to see them eventually. They are one of those bands that I think a huge majority of metalheads can enjoy live. They just bring it. Even their crappy material can be made to sound okay when they do it live.
18.06.2014 - 05:41
Mattybu

Written by deadone on 18.06.2014 at 05:09

One of three best concerts I've seen - other 2 were Metallica and a symphony orchestra in Vienna.

I still need to see Metallica, badly. They are coming to Montreal this summer but I have a feeling I won't get to make it out. I also have a feeling they won't be coming near too many more times though, so I'm really gonna try.

I've seen every other big band I wanted to, Slayer (original line-up and all), Megadeth, Anthrax and Iron Maiden. Just no Metallica yet.

Mind you, that is sort of a "first world problem", I am very thankful to have gotten to see all those bands
20.06.2014 - 15:49
Ganondox

I love Iron Maiden, they were one of the first metal bands I got into. While living in Brasilia they came to play a concert, and my dad interviewed Adrian Smith for his visa. They offered us tickets to the show, but my dad had to decline. I've now got their albums Brave New World and The Number of the Beast, and plan on getting Seventh Son.
22.07.2014 - 14:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by deadone on 22.07.2014 at 04:11

Damn just noticed Bruce and co put on an airshow over Sonisphere with recreation WWI air battle.

So this covers a lot of my interests - Iron Maiden + war + aircraft.

I

'
don't tell me you can fly ??
he also read books, IMO write as well and same time do sword fighting

o yes likes beer as well
----

apos;'
[image]
22.07.2014 - 20:34
raveneffect

Sounds like you're setting them up.
04.08.2014 - 21:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----

apos;'
[image]
21.04.2015 - 20:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Stolen idea from Apocaliptica ... maiden Chellos

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maidens-alexander-the-great-covered-using-classical-instrumental/
----

apos;'
[image]
07.02.2016 - 13:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What band is this?

----

apos;'
[image]
09.04.2016 - 06:01
UPDIRNS

Book of Souls is a solid album,. Best since Dance of Death. Just saw them at Madison Square Garden and Bruce can still sing. The band was flawless. However, the stage show was ho-hum.

Up the Irons baby!! I will buy any album they ever put out even if they are 80.
10.04.2016 - 11:16
Tale

Sepaking about Maiden's live shows I must admit I'm quite dissapointed..

Seen them for 3 times, 1 was excellent, another one was bad and the third was disastrous.

I just couldn't believe how a band this big and important in heavy metal history can neglect so much their live sound...if you are Iron Maiden you must spend the 85% of your cash in outstanding sound techinicians for the live gigs.. it has to sound cristal clear

At least this was my experience (in fact one of those times was a Sonisphere, and when later Avantasia came to stage, they just whipped their face sound speaking...)
11.04.2016 - 00:08
Lord_Regnier

Written by Tale on 10.04.2016 at 11:16

Sepaking about Maiden's live shows I must admit I'm quite dissapointed..

Seen them for 3 times, 1 was excellent, another one was bad and the third was disastrous.

I just couldn't believe how a band this big and important in heavy metal history can neglect so much their live sound...if you are Iron Maiden you must spend the 85% of your cash in outstanding sound techinicians for the live gigs.. it has to sound cristal clear

At least this was my experience (in fact one of those times was a Sonisphere, and when later Avantasia came to stage, they just whipped their face sound speaking...)

Well, they have to pay for their 747-400. (joke)

I heard many times throughout the years about the sound being often too loud and not very good at Maiden shows.
And while "Live After Death" sounds excellent, I remember that "A Real Live/Dead One" and "Live At Donington" sounded quite bad.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
16.08.2016 - 23:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
New Iron maiden song ... damn awesome

----

apos;'
[image]
26.03.2017 - 08:32
Winter Heathen

Written by Bad English on 16.08.2016 at 23:17

I have no words... except... \m/
----
Power metal incarnate.
26.03.2017 - 08:35
Winter Heathen

Written by Nucky on 18.05.2014 at 17:07

Well they will probably never make legendary albums like they did in the 80s but still after Bruce got back in 1999 they haven't made a shit album..

Even The Book Of Souls was awesome. Powerslave FTW though.
----
Power metal incarnate.
26.03.2017 - 08:36
Winter Heathen

Fear of the Dark is a great album through and through! GIve it a few more listens and eventually it becomes natural to listen to. Although, Fear of the Dark is the best song on the album.
----
Power metal incarnate.
11.10.2017 - 17:14
Metal_Elle

Written by Winter Heathen on 26.03.2017 at 08:32

Written by Bad English on 16.08.2016 at 23:17

I have no words... except... \m/

This song was written and interpreted by Attick Demons, a band from Portugal...

No Maiden in it...
11.10.2017 - 17:19
Metal_Elle

Written by Winter Heathen on 26.03.2017 at 08:35

Written by Nucky on 18.05.2014 at 17:07

Well they will probably never make legendary albums like they did in the 80s but still after Bruce got back in 1999 they haven't made a shit album..

Even The Book Of Souls was awesome. Powerslave FTW though.

More than The Book Of Souls, I think that Brave New World is much more better, even though The Book Of Souls contains some really solid tracks as "If Eternity Should Fail", "The Red And The Black", the title song, "Tears Of A Clown" and "Empire Of The Clouds", for example...

But, you're absolutely right on Powerslave, it's the best Maiden album ever, and maybe the best metal album of all times (at least for me).
11.10.2017 - 17:22
Metal_Elle

Written by Winter Heathen on 26.03.2017 at 08:36

Fear of the Dark is a great album through and through! GIve it a few more listens and eventually it becomes natural to listen to. Although, Fear of the Dark is the best song on the album.

About Fear Of The Dark, it's complicated, because No Prayer For The Dying is heavier and more guitars oriented than FOtD, which is too cheesy for me, except the title song and three other songs ("Be Quick Or Be Dead", "Judas Be My Guide" and "Weekend Warrior").
12.10.2017 - 21:29
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Metal_Elle on 11.10.2017 at 17:22

FOtD, which is too cheesy for me, except the title song and three other songs ("Be Quick Or Be Dead", "Judas Be My Guide" and "Weekend Warrior").

"Afraid to Shoot Strangers" is conspicuously absent from your picks.
13.10.2017 - 11:33
tominator
At best deranged
I found Weekend Warrior to be one of their worst songs ever (I only dislike Holy Smoke and The Angel And The Gambler more) and imo it's easily the most cheesiest song on Fear Of The Dark.

The Only songs on Fear Of The Dark that I really like are: Fear Of The Dark, Afraid To Shoot Strangers, Be Quick Or Be Dead, Fear Is The Key, Childhood's End and Judas Be My Guide (so basically half the album). Wasting Love is decent and the 5 other songs are some of their weakest they've ever made imo.
22.01.2018 - 02:49
Bruce has had some kind words to say about Blazes's material. Maybe we'll see some of it on the 2018 tour? Hoping for Sign Of The Cross or Blood On The World's Hands myself, but I'm not sure Bruce would sound good on the second one. It's the song that was written for Blaze imo