Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden

Original post

Posted by GT, 25.03.2008 - 21:26
Since the old topic exceded its post limit here's the new topic about the band many of us like.

Last discussion in the old topic was about these shoes.

Post your thoughts and comments

EDIT: link to the old topic here
20.07.2008 - 07:53
mortjoyeux

Sigh.
Bruce already hinted about a new and upcoming album.
20.07.2008 - 11:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 20.07.2008 at 01:02

I just might be crazy... but I sense another concept album a la Seventh Son of a Seventh Son being released by Maiden before they stop making music...

i hope so too, they should make another concept album, maybe something along the lines of the davinci code conspiracy or something, i'd really like to hear maiden do that(well, they already kind of did with the song Montsegur).
20.07.2008 - 21:38
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
For god sakes enough with the concept albums. Whatever happened to creating a collection of great rock n roll songs with great riffs and cramming that greatness into under 7 minutes. Instead of this concept/were going to write 12 minute epics with no memorable riffs *cough cough* AMOLAD *cough*. I mean, Im not saying it was a concept album, but these concept albums generally tend to spawn those types of songs.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.07.2008 - 22:01
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Doc G. on 20.07.2008 at 21:38

For god sakes enough with the concept albums. Whatever happened to creating a collection of great rock n roll songs with great riffs and cramming that greatness into under 7 minutes. Instead of this concept/were going to write 12 minute epics with no memorable riffs *cough cough* AMOLAD *cough*. I mean, Im not saying it was a concept album, but these concept albums generally tend to spawn those types of songs.

AMOLAD is a fairly conceptual album. I think that you are judging conceptual albums a little unfairly. I think they should be looked at as albums with "great moments" (if the albums good to begin with), not just as good song/bad song. Personally, I'd rather have a good 60 minute experience instead of poppin' in a Cd and skipping around to the "good" tracks.
20.07.2008 - 22:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 20.07.2008 at 22:01

Written by Doc G. on 20.07.2008 at 21:38

AMOLAD is a fairly conceptual album. I think that you are judging conceptual albums a little unfairly. I think they should be looked at as albums with "great moments" (if the albums good to begin with), not just as good song/bad song. Personally, I'd rather have a good 60 minute experience instead of poppin' in a Cd and skipping around to the "good" tracks.

Oh believe me, I do enjoy long ass songs, I enjoy most Opeth songs as probably the biggest example. I just found AMOLAD really dry, like they were simply using the music as a tool to get whatever message they wanted across, rather than writing good music with a message on top. Dont get me wrong, I do think lyrical content can be a very crucial thing in a lot of cases, but I believe it should take the backseat behind good song writing, and thought the writing for AMOLAD was like I said....dry.
----
- George Carlin
20.07.2008 - 22:28
Fat & Sassy!

Quote:
Written by Doc G. on 20.07.2008 at 22:08

Oh believe me, I do enjoy long ass songs, I enjoy most Opeth songs as probably the biggest example. I just found AMOLAD really dry, like they were simply using the music as a tool to get whatever message they wanted across, rather than writing good music with a message on top. Dont get me wrong, I do think lyrical content can be a very crucial thing in a lot of cases, but I believe it should take the backseat behind good song writing, and thought the writing for AMOLAD was like I said....dry.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. AMOLAD is definitely one of my least listened to Maiden albums. And lyrics... are like icing on a cake. I think Bruce's vocals on the album are top notch though.
20.07.2008 - 22:30
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Quote:
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 20.07.2008 at 22:28

Written by Doc G. on 20.07.2008 at 22:08

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. AMOLAD is definitely one of my least listened to Maiden albums. And lyrics... are like icing on a cake. I think Bruce's vocals on the album are top notch though.

Definitely, you could really hear his age without sounding like a has-been.
----
- George Carlin
20.07.2008 - 22:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
For Maiden fans here is a very good cover of Remember Tomorrow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZZBnZexM6E&feature=related
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.07.2008 - 23:24
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.07.2008 at 22:42

For Maiden fans here is a very good cover of Remember Tomorrow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZZBnZexM6E&feature=related

Good but kinda boring in comparison with Maiden...
Hey, what do you think about Sadus' cover of Invaders???
----
15.09.2008 - 00:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
LoL I jsut bought Classic rock magazine and there was CD and obe band whit ugly female vocals Deamone made cover to Wasted Years it was so ugly and anoying, realy it piss me of when people who are not talanted and wanna be BIG like IM are, cover them songs ,its blaspemy

oh band also looks like emo realy anoying werse of this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1dfiWnErdM

REAL verese much better and Bruce looks sexy in 80's clotes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwB9zg7Tbx8
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.10.2008 - 02:16
Guib
Thrash Talker
Ok guys... Iron Maiden is probly one of my fav band ever

but seriously.. the last album fucking PISSED ME OFF !

I mean wtf... is happening to Iron Maiden ? I liked Dance of Death alot.. but wow
this one, in my opinion, was a fucking waste of money !

Anyways what do you guys think about that ?

IMO Piece of mind .. was the best Maiden work Ever.. and i don't think they could ever
beat that album in any possible way.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
02.10.2008 - 04:09
totaliteraliter

Written by Guib on 02.10.2008 at 02:16
I mean wtf... is happening to Iron Maiden ? I liked Dance of Death alot.. but wow

No way, I think if anything BNW and DOD were disappointing, AMOLAD was the first reunion album where they got it all right. It takes the simple familiarity of BNW and finds a middle ground between that and the experimental ambition of DOD. It is one of their most consistent albums thematically and musically, it remains structurally interesting while avoiding the obvious repetition of the previous two as well as the jarring transitions of DOD. The dark tone gives it a unique feel as a standalone album rather than a collection of songs, the production sounds natural, Bruce's voice is restrained and he shows he is aging gracefully, the riffs are nothing to complain about. Lyrically it is definitely one of their best, and it lacks any generic filler track. Personally it makes my top five Maiden albums easily, maybe even top three, and easily beats out Piece of Mind ("Quest For Fire" really drags that one down in my view).
02.10.2008 - 04:25
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by totaliteraliter on 02.10.2008 at 04:09

No way, I think if anything BNW and DOD were disappointing, AMOLAD was the first reunion album where they got it all right. It takes the simple familiarity of BNW and finds a middle ground between that and the experimental ambition of DOD. It is one of their most consistent albums thematically and musically, it remains structurally interesting while avoiding the obvious repetition of the previous two as well as the jarring transitions of DOD. The dark tone gives it a unique feel as a standalone album rather than a collection of songs, the production sounds natural, Bruce's voice is restrained and he shows he is aging gracefully, the riffs are nothing to complain about. Lyrically it is definitely one of their best, and it lacks any generic filler track. Personally it makes my top five Maiden albums easily, maybe even top three, and easily beats out Piece of Mind ("Quest For Fire" really drags that one down in my view).

Wow man i hope you're joking about the Top Three
and i'm damn Serious LOL... it might be your opinion but putting such a disgrace in your
top 3 Maiden album makes me feel weird inside lol

How can you say that AMOLAD could beat up an album like Piece of Mind ? I MEAN WTF ? are you kiddin ?

If you take.. Iron Maiden, Killers, Number of the beast, Piece of mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, Seventh son of a seventh son, No Prayer and Fear of the dark.. LOL and compare it to AMOLAD
its clear that they're just not making the cut on this album... lol what they did before was simply epic and theres no way that this album can match this.. not even close, sorry but this just hurt my Maiden feelings...
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
02.10.2008 - 05:54
totaliteraliter

Written by Guib on 02.10.2008 at 04:25
and i'm damn Serious LOL... it might be your opinion but putting such a disgrace in your

How can you say that AMOLAD could beat up an album like Piece of Mind ? I MEAN WTF ? are you kiddin ?

If you take.. Iron Maiden, Killers, Number of the beast, Piece of mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, Seventh son of a seventh son, No Prayer and Fear of the dark.. LOL and compare it to AMOLAD
its clear that they're just not making the cut on this album... lol what they did before was simply epic and theres no way that this album can match this.. not even close, sorry but this just hurt my Maiden feelings...

Well, I'd love to continue this discussion but you seem to have offered nothing of substance upon which to build (opinions are nice, but explanations of them are better). For now I'll just assume AMOLAD went over your head.

Although I'll offer this for the POM vs AMOLAD debate:

We are not the sons of God
We are not His chosen people now
We have crossed the path He trod
We will feel the pain of His beginning

In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth
When the land was swamp and caves were home
In an age when prize possession was fire
To search for landscapes men would roam.
02.10.2008 - 09:49
GT
Coffee!!

I think I for the fist time agree with you on something Maybe not in the top three thing, but in all other statements you just made. As many I didn't like the album at first listen, but it slowly grew on me and especially after seeing the album performed live. So maybe not top three or five, but definitately high on the list.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
02.10.2008 - 10:10
Valentin B
Iconoclast
from the newest album i really like only "Different World"(The video is pretty good too) and "These Colours Don't Run"
02.10.2008 - 12:43
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by totaliteraliter on 02.10.2008 at 05:54

Well, I'd love to continue this discussion but you seem to have offered nothing of substance upon which to build (opinions are nice, but explanations of them are better). For now I'll just assume AMOLAD went over your head.

Although I'll offer this for the POM vs AMOLAD debate:

We are not the sons of God
We are not His chosen people now
We have crossed the path He trod
We will feel the pain of His beginning

In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth
When the land was swamp and caves were home
In an age when prize possession was fire
To search for landscapes men would roam.

Well Actually... theres not some much to say ... its just an evidence that POM is way better than AMOLAD
They were agressive... they played with their heart and soul. Now they just seemed to be old guys
trying to do something worth my money... wich wasn't worth it at all. Even after few listens i still find the
album dull. They haven't brought anything we haven't heard or anything enought agressive that i could
call a Maiden work. To me, on AMOLAD they seemed like a fatigued band. Nothing personal... i always liked Maiden its just... I can't stand this album.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
02.10.2008 - 20:45
marillionfan
Account deleted
I loved AMOLAD - I found it to be very good, almost progressive, different from their previous works, although recognizable. i enjoyed it maybe because i listen to too much progressive rock and prog-metal anyway, the length of songs did not bother me. I'll listen to it today, haven't listened to maiden in quite a while.
02.10.2008 - 21:03
totaliteraliter

Written by Guib on 02.10.2008 at 12:43
Well Actually... theres not some much to say ... its just an evidence that POM is way better than AMOLAD
They were agressive... they played with their heart and soul. Now they just seemed to be old guys
trying to do something worth my money... wich wasn't worth it at all. Even after few listens i still find the
album dull. They haven't brought anything we haven't heard or anything enought agressive that i could
call a Maiden work. To me, on AMOLAD they seemed like a fatigued band. Nothing personal... i always liked Maiden its just... I can't stand this album.

I don't think Maiden was ever defined by aggression. Are you talking about speed? There's plenty of power on the album coming from the vocals alone, the production is huge, the riffs range from familiar to progressive, the lyrics are specific and interesting (better than 'aggressive' songs about some stereotypical character.... the fugitive, the pilot, the tail gunner, the trooper... they've done enough of those). I think it's important that they aren't repeating themselves any more, they weren't really trying to please anyone with this album, they just made the album they wanted to make (and they all happened to be on roughly the same page... go watch the making of).
02.10.2008 - 22:03
Bas
Retired Staff
i for my part enjoyed AMOLAD really much as well.
some of the long, dark and progressive tracks are really great

admittedly there aren't any really simple, uber-catchy nobrainers on here like the trooper for example, and even though i like the trooper a lot, i think these new songs are at least just as good, but in a different way. iron maiden just make different music by now it's as simple as that, i mean, all of their last few albums were already pointing in this direction and AMOLAD is only the logical next step in their evolution...

my personal favourite is Brave New World
Blood Brothers and Ghost Of The Navigator for example are two of the best songs in Maidens discography for me
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
03.10.2008 - 03:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Bas on 02.10.2008 at 22:03

admittedly there aren't any really simple, uber-catchy nobrainers on here like the trooper for example, and even though i like the trooper a lot, i think these new songs are at least just as good, but in a different way. iron maiden just make different music by now it's as simple as that, i mean, all of their last few albums were already pointing in this direction and AMOLAD is only the logical next step in their evolution...

Maybe thats my problem with it I suppose, when I listen to heavy metal (the sub genre) I prefer simpler songs, fast, heavy, catchy and fun to chant along to. AMOLAD is the type thing I'd look for a prog band to do, but unfortunately a lot of prog bores me except for a select few bands.

Kind of ironic consider 'Fear Of The Dark' is probably my favorite song.
----
- George Carlin
03.10.2008 - 04:15
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Doc G. on 03.10.2008 at 03:46

Maybe thats my problem with it I suppose, when I listen to heavy metal (the sub genre) I prefer simpler songs, fast, heavy, catchy and fun to chant along to. AMOLAD is the type thing I'd look for a prog band to do, but unfortunately a lot of prog bores me except for a select few bands.

Well you see.. i damn agree with you. When im listening to Heavy Metal like Maiden i prefer
Fast, Clear and Catchy songs like Trooper, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Fear of the Dark, Invaders, Holy smoke... anyways theres 2 different types of Maiden fans i guess lol
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
03.10.2008 - 04:16
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guib on 03.10.2008 at 04:15

Well you see.. i damn agree with you. When im listening to Heavy Metal like Maiden i prefer
Fast, Clear and Catchy songs like Trooper, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Fear of the Dark, Invaders, Holy smoke... anyways theres 2 different types of Maiden fans i guess lol

Lol, yeah, I guess you and I aren't one those "intellectual" metal heads.
----
- George Carlin
03.10.2008 - 04:19
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Doc G. on 03.10.2008 at 04:16

Written by Guib on 03.10.2008 at 04:15

Lol, yeah, I guess you and I aren't one those "intellectual" metal heads.

Well seriously.. my ''Intellectual'' part is more towards.. Technical Death Metal.. or even Prog Metal but yeah.. i love simple Maiden ^^.. anyways we rock lol
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
03.10.2008 - 05:24
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Bad English on 15.09.2008 at 00:15

(...) and Bruce looks sexy in 80's clotes

That's oen of the gayest things I've read here.
But I think it's fairly normal, you know, everyone whants to make a IM cover...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
04.10.2008 - 08:17
Fat & Sassy!

("Quest For Fire" really drags that one down in my view).

WHAT? That is the bestest Maiden song eva!

putting such a disgrace in your

It makes you feel weird inside? Hahahahaha! What the hell does one mean when he says this?.. Wait... I don't want to know.
04.10.2008 - 11:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 03.10.2008 at 05:24

Written by Bad English on 15.09.2008 at 00:15

(...) and Bruce looks sexy in 80's clotes

That's oen of the gayest things I've read here.
But I think it's fairly normal, you know, everyone whants to make a IM cover...

watch a video and you will understand :p
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.10.2008 - 20:09
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 04.10.2008 at 08:17

("Quest For Fire" really drags that one down in my view).

WHAT? That is the bestest Maiden song eva!

putting such a disgrace in your

It makes you feel weird inside? Hahahahaha! What the hell does one mean when he says this?.. Wait... I don't want to know.

Well i meant.. it makes me want to vomit my guts on the ground and drown in blood...
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
05.10.2008 - 17:10
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Guib: I think that quest for Fire kinda sucks as well....I dunno, just sort of a filler track imo.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
05.10.2008 - 18:24
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Arian Totalis on 05.10.2008 at 17:10

@Guib: I think that quest for Fire kinda sucks as well....I dunno, just sort of a filler track imo.

Ok now explain to me.. why you would judge an Album only for ''ONE'' damn track ? Seriously...

ok Quest for fire sucked.. so what ? Think about.. Revelation, Trooper, Flight of Icarus, Die with your boots on, Still life, Where eagles dare... like wtf

By the way.. for the concept albums fans.. No other Conceptual Maiden albums will ever beat Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son.. sorry there.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here