Metal Storm logo
Symphony X - Bordeaux, France, 02.03.2008

Event: Symphony X: European Tour 2008
Written by: Jeff
Published: 25.03.2008

Galleries:

Symphony X - Bordeaux, France, 02.03.2008 by Jeff (20)

It's been a while that Symphony X didn't play in France. Well of course they were the opening act of the last Dream Theater's tour but all the people who have attended this concert will tell you that it was too short, and that the sound was horrible (they are right!). Symphony X promised to come back in France at the beginning of the year and the "Paradise Lost tour" was organized all across Europe last month with SX as headliner. I can tell you that this show was a lot different than the one with Dream Theater, Symphony X as a headliner just kicks ass! This night at the Krakatoas venue of Bordeaux was more than memorable!

During their tour, SX was accompanied by two other Progressive combos. The first one was Dreamscape, a German band which is not a newcomer but which is not so famous unfortunately. Their show was not so long, approximately 35 minutes but it was really good. The music of Dreamscape is pure complex Progressive Metal (not something powerful a la Symphony X) and it was obvious that the guys weren't newbies. Their performance was full of energy their songs were good and groovy (even if I didn't know them) and it was a good way to begin the evening. I know that some people didn't liked Dreamscape's show, they were all complaining that it was too "Prog" but it was a Prog Metal night and it was logical to see Dreamscape before Symphony X.

Circus Maximus came on stage after Dreamscape and before Symphony X. A lot of people talk about this band and obviously a lot of people were there to see them. I will be honest, I didn't like this show. It was boring as hell and if I can believe that Circus Maximus is a good band on CD, their live performances are a bit average (probably in reason of a lack of experience). I cannot say that the music of Circus Maximus is bad but it's just some kind of classic European Progressive Power Metal and it was not transcending for me. Sure it's a bit powerful sometime and they guys aren't bad musicians but it was just so-so. Not terrible, not good too, just really average, classic and finally a bit boring. Unfortunately this show was too long for me but I will try to listen to Circus Maximus because I'm sure that some of their songs are good. Let's hope that they will be able to be a bit more communicative and active on stage the next time that I will see them.

After a great introduction with "Oculus Ex Inferni", Symphony X started to play on the stage of the Krakatoas (which is a really classy venue by the way). This show was memorable; Symphony X was excellent during this evening. It was long but never boring and without any breaks. Symphony X played a lot of new songs (it was the only reproach of some metalheads who have attended the show) which were all really good and catchy live. The great thing was that Russel was really communicative with a really nice sense of humor, it was a funny show on a side and it was not boring. Sure some old songs like "Evolution" were missing but the set list was well done nonetheless and it was great to listen to songs like "Egypt", "Smokes And Mirror" and finally "Of Sins And Shadow" for the encore.

Symphony X's shows are full of power and energy and even if it will maybe be curious for some of you, this band has a real rock n roll attitude (a Jack Daniel's bottle was on stage too!), they're real rockers and not starlets. My only regret actually came from the really bad lights (it was the same with Dream Theater), I don't know if this problem came from the venue but unfortunately it was a little bad and a bit sad but really it was the only problem of the show! All in all it was a great concert really, and the band which is really friendly came in the venue to meet their fans after the show. I missed it unfortunately but I got a drum stick at least lol.

Symphony X is a great band live, and this night in Bordeaux was a great event for me and all the people who came there to see this show! Now I really hope that Symphony X will have the chance to play in big summer Festivals. It seems that the new album is really popular in the countries which were not really interested by their previous releases so I hope that they will not have to wait anymore, they deserve it! Symphony X live just rocks, don't miss it if they come in or near of your city!

Symphony X Set List:
Oculus Ex Inferni
Set The World On Fire
Domination
Serpent's Kiss
Masquerade
Paradise Lost
Egypt
Death Of The Balance
Inferno
Smoke And Mirrors
Sea Of Lies
Revelation / Divine Wings Of Tragedy

Encore:
Eve Of Seduction
Out Of The Ashes
Of Sins And Shadows

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 112 users
26.03.2008 - 09:49
GT
Coffee!!
Too bad you didn't liked Circus Maximus. When I saw them last year the gave a really good show, not boring at all, so they might just have had a bad day. Anyway good pictures and a nice report
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
26.03.2008 - 11:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
i like Jack Daniels but whan Odissey will hellenized France?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.03.2008 - 06:02
DoomGuard

I can't believe im going to have to miss these guys on the N.A. tour :'(

God i wish i didn't have to miss it...
29.03.2008 - 14:23
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yes we deserve a Symphony X headlining concert!
----
29.03.2008 - 16:04
wrathchild

Quite the same in Paris, though I missed Dreamscape. I was eager to see Circus Maximus but their show was boring, although I wouldn't know what it is they have to work on. Their CDs sound damn cool, but it seemed to me that their music just doesn't work on stage...
As for SX, hum, I'm not that fond of the last album but it was good. What was great on that day was that all the bands were happy playing tricks at each other, as it was the last date with those bands. They ll went on stage during SX' encore (along with two very hot chicks from the crowd).
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
07.04.2008 - 05:32
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Good review. I'd really like to see these guys live but, as expected, they don't come anywhere near where I live. All the more reason for me to move to Arizona for graduate school and life in general.
----
The force will be with you, always.
08.04.2008 - 01:21
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Just saw them last night in Philly, amazing show. I even saw the bottle of Jack Daniels... Romeo took a swig after he screwed up! He started playing Inferno when the rest of the band was playing Babylon, it was pretty funny. Glad they finally played Eve Of Seduction too...
18.04.2008 - 22:07
subprime jim
Account deleted
Saw Symphony X with Epica and Into Eternity last night in Portland. Of course Symphony X was incredible as usual. Epica was the surprise hit for me. Would like to thank all 3 bands for a top notch show. Looking forward to seeing you all again.

Hits total: 9016 | This month: 10