08. The Chosen Pessimist
09. Sober And Irrelevant
10. Condemned
11. Drenched In Fear
12. March To The Shore
13. Eraser [bonus]
14. Tilt [bonus]
15. Abnegation [bonus]

Over the past few years In Flames have been wandering down questionable paths as far as long-time fans are concerned, some abandoned the band completely and the others decided that the new In Flames isn't really all that bad after all, and stuck with them. "A Sense Of Purpose" is a shockingly low blow to the second group of people here as In Flames continue to push towards the twelve-year-old, black dyed fringe bearing individual market - and this time do it in a way that indefinitely is the straw that breaks the camel's back and will not be tolerated by long-running fans.

One month ago "The Mirror's Truth" EP although brandishing a very Korn-esque cover, showed a promising outlook with four heavier, faster and generally better songs. This however has shown to provoke false hope of a good album from the band. Song "The Mirror's Truth" kicks off the album in mediocre form and for about the first minute into "Disconnected" we have that higher tempo and intensity that is frankly one of the only things In Flames do well these days, but just as the once loyal fans of the band will after hearing this, the tempo and attraction the band had runs to the hills to never be seen again.

"I'm The Highway" has a slight kick in it, but generally "A Sense Of Purpose" is an album laden with mediocrity and annoyance. Guitar riffs sound as uninspired as uninspired gets, usually plodding along at some mind-numbingly dull tempo. Anders' vocals are as unique and distinguishable as they always have been, just with an extra edge of whine and angsty teenager thrown in there - lyrics fit the vocal style used, but that is like saying excrement is fitting for a toilet when the audience are hoping for an album of quality, intense modern metal. Both most laughable and representative of In Flames' direction is "The Chosen Pessimist" with its pretentious title, long duration, lyrics that are supposed to be deep and meaningful but come across as plastic and fake, and predictable structure turning up the heaviness towards the end.

So long-time fans will not be impressed with the latest offering of "A Sense Of Purpose", but the direction taken does expose the band even more to the mainstream popular rock and metal scenes. "A Sense Of Purpose" is a very polished album, produced immaculately and sounds very professional - it will be certain to pick up more followers but from a different area to before. Most tracks have melodies running throughout, there is no doubting that In Flames have that charm a band needs in order to acquire a vast following.

With an album of anguish and inner struggles "A Sense Of Purpose" takes on further the direction the band were already taking but just to an extra degree. It has what it takes to become a popular hit among the fringe-wearing community, but for the people who like their metal hard, fast, loud and real, this one is best avoided.

Written on 26.03.2008 by Member of Staff since 2006

Guest review by
WayTooManyCDs
Rating:
What a tragedy A Sense Of Purpose is; not because it's hopelessly awful, but because it's been unfairly lambasted for years. Unfortunately, there is no way to correct the damage already done or to change the minds of those who are still mourning the loss of the "Jester Race/Whoracle" era twenty years after the fact, but at least some just dues can finally be given.

Read more ››
published 10.05.2018 | Comments (17)

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 128   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 895 users
05.05.2008 - 20:23
Glabrezu
I have always preferred At The Gates and Dark Tranquillity rather than In Flames but this cd sounds very slow... In some parts the voice sounds so emo (An example is 'The Chosen Pessimist')..
My vote: 5/10
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
05.05.2008 - 21:50
BlankFile
Its the decadence of a "once phenomenal band of Melodic Death". No Words to describe that.
08.06.2008 - 18:13
helsaint
Account deleted
Well I am now listening to this salbum for the first time, and I think it is good. It's not hard core metal but then they never were. In Flames experiments, I am sure many people here didn't like Reroute to Remain, and Only For the Weak isn't your favorite song either. But that is what has kept me hooked to this band, the melody they create is fantastic, the hard edges seperate it from classical music. The band experiments and evolves always keeping melody at the core, and thats what has kept me a fan. But then I wouldn't classify myself as the typical Metal fan either. I really enjoy this album. Oh and The Chosen Pessimist does have a Radiohead feel to it.
10.06.2008 - 10:57
Rating: 6
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Just look at the number of answers to this review. In Flames is certainly popular these days or at least everyone has something to say about them. They've become one of those bands that sells because of their controversy as well.

I listened to the album and I really didn't like it to be honest, I said it in their thread. New In Flames doesn't work for me and there's no way people are gona convince me that Come Clarity is worse than this.

I'm not gona bash them at all, I think the new album is very weak but it was what they wanted to do.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.06.2008 - 12:58
Desertman
Account deleted
all in flames albums are great only the last two!
dont know what happen to them and children of bodom joined them
13.06.2008 - 06:09
Rating: 3
Martin_metal
Some of their earlier albums is good, but this and the album before this one is terrible. Like I read somewere, that In flames aren´t metal. They are pop with heavy production =)
17.06.2008 - 03:50
megamegadethfan
Account deleted
I haven't listened to many In Flames but this CD and I really don't think it's all that bad. I haven't heard the older stuff so...but I enjoyed it and think it's pretty good. Alias is really good and the lyrics are pretty...real. Like they talk about pretty dark and depressing feelings so they sort of touch me at a greater level than other people maybe. But...I'd rate it out of 10...6.7. Not the greatest but still pretty good.
08.08.2008 - 11:17
wordvoice
Account deleted
sorry but one more site with this review copied onto it gets this comment sorry

Kain_686 um first thing "no offense Im sure this is going to come off bad but" mabe you should go to school and study a little music theory. Someone like yourself who has alot to say, but
lacks in experience with song writing and producing
should understand the facts about music. The tempo in Disconnected
remains the same as it did in the beginning of the song. The drummer uses a click track. following it throughout the song somewere around
210 bpm. The Chosen Pessimist. First thing I think your the one whos attempting to impress us with your tendency to see the worst aspect of things. which in turn would make you The Chosen Pessimist!
Sorry Kain but you contradict yourself many times and further more
im affraid you would sound more like the whiner....
I cant respect a complainers review who I believe might never understand performing, the difficulties of maintaining long term songwriting, recording, engineering, producing. just the process of
repeating the process.
do you really think you would review this album any differently if it was
exactly the same as the others?

what would you sound like on any metal album if you sang on it?
would your screams come out thin or would you be surprised how bad you sound, if it was a struggle that you punished yourself with for hours. and at the end of the day your pupils were full of blood attempting to get that part right over and over....... until you finially got it .

would you still be reviewing Albums with the same tone?
what happened to your heart?
08.08.2008 - 11:19
wordvoice
Account deleted
P.s.By the way I love A Sense of Purpose im 32 and have been playing metal since I was around 15. im not a twelve-year-old, black dyed fringe bearing adolecent
but I was when I started playing music.
lOl
10.08.2008 - 21:19
Rating: 7
DJCynic
yeah i'm really disapointed about this album.I thought it would be nice but no
----
DJCynic
14.08.2008 - 06:57
konstans
Account deleted
I'm not not a musician I'm not here to play smurt or anything else I am 44 years old and Metal music it's my passion and doesn't mean I did not listen anything else I grow up with Led Zeppelin Pink Floyd deep purple and own and own but for the last 10 years that was the first time I discover metal finally this it was the end from every other type of music if you seem on the street not you going to be able to tell that I listened metal specially black death because this is my favorite i have more and 1000 CD plus over 200 DVD what I'm trying to say I have some experience to see something so but in the market I don't think a sense of purpose if so but I don't think four points is that I'd place to be 7 maybe 8 actually I believe this one is a hundred times better from the previous cd I don't even remember the name but I listen to it and I never bother this is my opinion
26.08.2008 - 19:05
devildriver86
Personally its probably the worst CD that In Flames has put out so far, this band brought me into the metal world, so I have all of their CD's except for this one, I listened to a few of the songs and just refuse to go get the CD it just doesn't seem the same. Before In Flames left RRR you could see the slight down fall in the way they played their music, but when they joined Nuclear Blast just seemed like they hit rock bottom, and now they are trying to bring themsevles back up. At the rate they are going this isn't going to happen very soon, I think Baz did a good review on this album and i agree with his rating of 4.5, but then again this could be due to the fact that I'm used to the old In Flames (Pre Colony)
12.11.2008 - 20:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Lucas on 27.03.2008 at 00:38

Just managed to get through half of the new album on MySpace. And damn, this is so ridiculously bad. Sure, people may like it, but fuck that. I think it's horrible.

Almost the same thing happened to me today. I went to the librery and they had some cds to borrow. And they had this one and I said to myself: "Meh... let's try this and see if it's as bad as some pleople think it is"

And I really really like the opening. it's a nice beginning, a little cheesy on the chorus but good anyway.
But when I was in the half of the album I was like "O man... this is just waaaaaaaaaaaaay to cheesy"

I wasn't reading the lyrics, but when I heard a line in the chorus, something like "I feel like shit, but at least I feel something"

At that point I just throw the cd-player and said: "Fuck this,... It's to much. Gotta listen Hjarnidaudi's myspace instead "
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.11.2008 - 23:49
Rating: 4
I don't think this album is quite as rancid as everyone seems to think, but i agree its not very good. I like the fact that the acoustic interludes are back, and some of the riffs (Move through me) are quite cool, they just sound pussy due to the snivellingly weak guitar sound that this album has. Basically, this is an ok album, apart from the shit guitar sound, questionable songwriting, flat sounding drums, and the fact that Gelotte has ditched his mo. Why would he ruin that beard?
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
26.11.2008 - 19:33
Luciferion
So many people against it, I don't get it. After come clarity this was the clear direction they we're headed. Obviously it can't stand up to older in flames like jester, but in regards to teh new direction and sound they are going with I think they did a good job. Even if the album has a solid start and slowly looses momentum over the course, stilla solid release IMO.
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
08.12.2008 - 23:31
Account deleted
Come clarity is sooo much better then this cd. they have some good riffs and parts in the songs but thats about it.
23.12.2008 - 16:02
maconsid
Account deleted
Had this album quite a while and I've liked all albums up to this point (more or less!). This is a serious step-down in quality. I listen to music across the metal spectrum and don't get too excited when a band "mellows" or brings in non-metal influences. I had hoped this new direction would grow on me. it hasn't. This album has some strong points. Its all relative though. Relative to In Flames back catalogue, this is poor, relative 80% of metal out there this is good album. Drop the chosen pessimist and roughen up the production a bit and it would've been a very good album.

4.5 - Harsh man, harsh.
25.01.2009 - 13:30
ioannisk
Sooooo true. damn, i was expecting for sthing much better...
09.02.2009 - 07:12
Rating: 4
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Definitely I can't listen to the whole album without falling asleep, this is boring and uninspired just as Metallica's "St. Anger" this is a really bad album.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
13.03.2009 - 12:55
DarkMoor99
Account deleted
Am I the only one who LOVES this album? It seems so.
18.03.2009 - 14:15
Rating: 5
Slayer666
This certanly isn't as good as the old stuff, but doesn't actually deserve a 4.5.... Maybe a 6.5 - 7?
20.03.2009 - 17:35
devouredbymetal
Account deleted
This album's not worth mentioning one bit.....crappy album....over produced...forgot who they really are and made some half-poppish album
01.04.2009 - 00:39
T_s_T
It just doesn't get to me how deaf can some people get just to fit into the "true" stereotype!!!It's true that along with Clayman the group has underwent some changes,but that is called "evolvig" and
"progress" - Anders and co. are trying to break all the boundaries of melodeath as we know it,and are being as innovative as possible.Sure,it's not the Jester Race they're playing all the time and I've come to accept and deeply support that decision of theirs.In Flames have not become a second "boring" and "monotonous" in their albums in my opinion and I'm sure that they will always be that way.But reading all these negative reviews and feedbacks it all just leaves me with one fact out of this whole story - In Flames have become more openminded,but some of their fans haven't!!!
12.05.2009 - 02:22
DreadfulYgg
It's better than a 4.5. That is definitely kind of harsh, I agree. I really liked Come Clarity since it was nearly a return to their glorious middle era. So I was very bummed when I heard "A Sense of Purpose". I do think the production really hurts this album, much too underproduced, which is also why I didn't care much for Reroute to Remain. When they have good production, their albums sound good (look at Clayman too). This isn't their worst in my opinion. It has the potential to be good but the production, and a lack of inspiration for the most part, really is a shame. This is likely the last album I will bother getting from them. =/
23.05.2009 - 09:37
Rating: 2
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Yep.. a horrible album even for new In Flames patterns... ''Condenmed'' is a pretty nice song thou.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
18.06.2009 - 18:50
Disruptard
Account deleted
Indeed their worst album to date.
However, I am and will always be true to In Flames because they are one of my favorite bands of all time!
Their older stuff, like Clayman (<3), Colony, The Jester Race and Whoracle are their best imo. However I also like Reroute to Remain, and to a certain extent, Soundtrack to your Escape.
30.06.2009 - 16:53
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I agree the vocals and lyrics on this album are pretty cheesy, but i always see In Flames's lyrics as cheesy and forced "omg my life stinks so much right now".

what i love about In Flames, and this applies also to this album, is the guitar work. the melodies and riffs are still there imo, Delight and Angers has some excellent guitar riffs(as just about any In Flames track i've heard so far).
07.07.2009 - 11:26
chrisjoel
They should play in Japan. There they will find hordes of ppl willing to give this album an 8 rating, perhaps even a 10! Seriously though they lost me as a fan with Come Clarity....this album seems to be a paycheck.
16.08.2009 - 21:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Imo the only problem with new In Flames is that their lyrics are getting more and more cheesy and emo. that's all, the guitars are excellently awesome as usual and generally spell hook after hook after melodic hook. In Flames = one of the best guitar-driven bands of them all.
18.08.2009 - 09:25
Lachy
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.03.2009 at 12:55

Am I the only one who LOVES this album? It seems so.

Na man i enjoyed the album to. But I'm not really a death metal fan the later In Flames albums are an exception. They are most likely moving away from this genre. That's just my thoughts on them though. I haven't listened to them that long so don't take my word on that

Hits total: 26647 | This month: 22