Metal Storm logo
Metal Magazines?

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 30.03.2008 - 10:13
I can't be alone on this one. You come home from a long day at work/school, to tired to stay up, but to awake to sleep, and not exactly in the mood or energy to read anything to complex or deep. So you pull out a copy of your Metal Magazine of choice, or perhaps when your on the bus, or have dead time to kill at work, who knows. For all you magazine readers out there, I want to know your choice of metal magazine to read. Possibly some recommendations.

Metal Hammer-My current choice. But unfortunately they have pretty bad reviews and there articles tend to focus on bands for issues and issues on end without changing. On the upside that magazine is responsible for helping me discover a few cool new bands in the "Incoming" and "Subterranean" sections. And I like the interviews and articles. And it always comes with a sampler CD.

Revolver-One I used to read a lot then it just went downhill to the point where its not even a metal magazine anymore, more on the same wavelength as AP (alternative press).

Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles
Kind of boring sometimes, a little more consistent then a lot of what Ive read, not bad at all.

*Note to mods: Im surprised there already isn't a discussion on this already, but I searched and I didn't see anything, will delete this topic if needed.
11.06.2010 - 22:15
busta5000
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.06.2010 at 22:12

Written by Guest on 11.06.2010 at 22:10

Wow if there was a metal magazine that would be so awesome.

Umm... what?

I SAID IF THERE WAS A METAL DEDICATED MAGAZINE THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME CAN YOU READ THIS TEXT NOOOOOOOOOOW
11.06.2010 - 22:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.06.2010 at 22:15

Umm... what?

I SAID IF THERE WAS A METAL DEDICATED MAGAZINE THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME CAN YOU READ THIS TEXT NOOOOOOOOOOW

I give up.
11.06.2010 - 22:52
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Umm... what?

There are dedicated metal magazines...That's kind of what this whole topic is about.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.06.2010 - 23:03
busta5000
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 11.06.2010 at 22:52

Umm... what?

There are dedicated metal magazines...That's kind of what this whole topic is about.

but they are unpurchasable in a way I mean they are not available in every store or else I would have bought them plus even in the internet its hard to find them I mean I did find national geographic magazines downloadable on the net but no metal magazines.

so if you have an idea where I can find metal magazines & download them as PDF then please speak but if you don't then you didn't understand my point which is that they are not available in stores not to me I mean.
02.12.2011 - 06:56
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
The only metal magazine worth buying right now, and I subscribe to it, is Decibel. If you can get your hands on it, the magazine is simply the best English language magazine. Not only do they cover many extreme and lesser-known bands, but they have great writers, a monthly album hall of fame feature that goes in depth about the making of the month's featured album, great reviews, articles about the scene (some of the recent ones I recall were about neofolk and it's impact on metal, and one about metal in comics), they have a cool monthly feature called "metal muthas" where they interview a musician's mom and ask her some questions about what it's like having a kid in a metal band, plus a lot more. Not to mention you get a flexi-disc (single record) each month if you are a subscriber. This year's flexi-discs have included tracks by Napalm Death, The Gates of Slumber, Wormrot, Krallice, Skeletonwitch and Goatwhore.

I used to read BW & BK when it was still going strong, but I noticed a lot of the stuff in there was press releases/ submitted copy that I had already seen online somewhere. I have picked up some of the European mags at Barnes & Noble and they just don't come close to Decibel.
05.12.2011 - 03:29
Kennoth
Written by Guest on 02.12.2011 at 06:56

The only metal magazine worth buying right now, and I subscribe to it, is Decibel. If you can get your hands on it, the magazine is simply the best English language magazine. Not only do they cover many extreme and lesser-known bands, but they have great writers, a monthly album hall of fame feature that goes in depth about the making of the month's featured album, great reviews, articles about the scene (some of the recent ones I recall were about neofolk and it's impact on metal, and one about metal in comics), they have a cool monthly feature called "metal muthas" where they interview a musician's mom and ask her some questions about what it's like having a kid in a metal band, plus a lot more. Not to mention you get a flexi-disc (single record) each month if you are a subscriber. This year's flexi-discs have included tracks by Napalm Death, The Gates of Slumber, Wormrot, Krallice, Skeletonwitch and Goatwhore.

I used to read BW & BK when it was still going strong, but I noticed a lot of the stuff in there was press releases/ submitted copy that I had already seen online somewhere. I have picked up some of the European mags at Barnes & Noble and they just don't come close to Decibel.

That sounds like a rather awesome magazine. I'd actually like to read a few metal-based magazines, and am even willing to pay for a subscription, but I don't think they're very popular here.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
17.03.2013 - 22:03
Capt. Fluntas
I think Terrorizer is a good magazine. I used to read Metal Hammer some time ago but the amount of attention given to metalcore bands just got to me. The overall style they have is good, just the content does not suit my taste.
----
Life is one big meme.
18.03.2013 - 12:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Capt. Fluntas on 17.03.2013 at 22:03

I think Terrorizer is a good magazine.

Terrorizer used to be good a couple of years ago, but now they are just an average metal mag. I suggest you check out Iron Fist for a good magazine. Btw Iron Fist is done by the people who used to write for Terrorizer when that mag was still good.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.03.2013 - 22:31
Capt. Fluntas
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2013 at 12:36

Terrorizer used to be good a couple of years ago, but now they are just an average metal mag. I suggest you check out Iron Fist for a good magazine. Btw Iron Fist is done by the people who used to write for Terrorizer when that mag was still good.

Thanks, I'll check it out
----
Life is one big meme.
28.04.2013 - 14:38
Nefarious
Doom Knight
Staff
I just came across Ghost Cult magazine which doesn't seem too shabby, especially for a free mag. They are only up to issue #7 so far & seem to release a new one on a monthly basis.

http://www.ghostcultmag.com/

Or you can view/download their past issues here.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
29.04.2013 - 20:44
Sinfonia
Hmm, I read 'Aardschok' but it is a dutch magazine..
----
When there is a voice recalling, when a whisper is resounding
When a feather's grazing you again, you start traveling with your mind.
11.05.2013 - 04:07
Rasputin
I wish Metal Maniacs would rise from its grave, that was an amazing magazine. Decibel does not come even close to what they had.