Metal Storm logo
What philosophy do you base your life on?

Original post

Posted by , 17.06.2006 - 15:26
As the topic indicates... What is the philosophy, quote, saying etc... that you base you life mostly on and use basicly every day in your life with yourself and your surroundings?
I mainly follow the quote : "To be or not to be? That is not the question! To BE! But to be what?" it kind of makes me think about every choice i make in my life and every path i choose to take with myself and my surrounding.
20.05.2011 - 18:01
Razorback

I agree about "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself" i would also add "It's better to regret something you did, than something you did not do",hate when after some time ask myself what would be if i done something i didn't.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
20.05.2011 - 19:11
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
I have learned over the years of my life that you always go with where your initial instincts lead you. Usually the better route.
13.06.2012 - 14:11
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
I used to believe that life can be made beautiful by finding passion and love..
But as i am going on through this life all hope is lost and i am left with this music form that tells me its OK there are thousands of people like you going through the same thing.

So for me metal is my philosophy
16.06.2012 - 20:47
Zealot644

Written by Guest on 13.06.2012 at 14:11

But as i am going on through this life all hope is lost and i am left with this music form that tells me its OK there are thousands of people like you going through the same thing.

Interesting.

I understand your point though, mostly due to metal have a lot of meaning behind the lyrics and presentation.
16.06.2012 - 21:03
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
Written by Zealot644 on 16.06.2012 at 20:47

Written by Guest on 13.06.2012 at 14:11

Interesting.

I understand your point though, mostly due to metal have a lot of meaning behind the lyrics and presentation.

Its when the music combines with lyrics and youre true feeling...Magic happens and that cannot be lost.
I have found myself crying when i hear some metal lyrics
31.03.2013 - 08:03
Monolithic
♠♠♠
I don't really know if I am following any certain, definitive philosophies in my life. At times I seek respect by respecting others, and at other times I'm really friendly towards others withou seeking respect. As for what's going on in the society, I just have a dark image of tomorrow. It's not a bleak future filled with agony, but even if it's gonna be a better future, we'll all share a common pain psychologically.
31.03.2013 - 09:57
Fritillaria
Account deleted
A friend in MS told me once if something huge hit earth and everything ruins at once , then nothing really matters after that, so always I always imagine everything may end suddenly with no clear reason and it's not predictable but it will , so I should enjoy of things I can enjoy.
31.03.2013 - 16:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 31.03.2013 at 09:57

A friend in MS told me once if something huge hit earth and everything ruins at once , then nothing really matters after that, so always I always imagine everything may end suddenly with no clear reason and it's not predictable but it will , so I should enjoy of things I can enjoy.

true world ... well I learned once thimnk how brake dead. I am not afraid of dying realy I am not
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.03.2013 - 20:21
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 31.03.2013 at 16:01

Written by Guest on 31.03.2013 at 09:57

true world ... well I learned once thimnk how brake dead. I am not afraid of dying realy I am not

well I don't either, but the problem is that, I can't really find the real enjoyment,hmm I mean it's not easy, there are things that make enjoyment for sure , but they all leave me with the feeling of emptiness and most of them last so short. None of them last that long they can be really named enjoyment,so mostly I try to be indifferent even to the enjoyments, ugh! a bit confusing.
01.04.2013 - 05:30
helofloki

I can find philosophies that I relate to and find interesting. Many speak to various truths about our world. However, I think the world is too complex and each human so unique, that really the only philosophy anyone can follow is their own. Perhaps it is based mostly off of a religion or someone else's teachings. But in the end we all interpret on some level.
01.04.2013 - 18:00
feichacha

I'm always live with myself,I mean I think everyone will leave me in the end,I can't imagine how it hurts.so I always been lonely ,I know its weird,and someone maybe think im too cold,but no one can stay with me all the time.I'm sure that I'm kind of timid ,I can't afford any hurts which the people I loved bring to me.
03.04.2013 - 19:59
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by feichacha on 01.04.2013 at 18:00

I'm always live with myself,I mean I think everyone will leave me in the end,I can't imagine how it hurts.so I always been lonely ,I know its weird,and someone maybe think im too cold,but no one can stay with me all the time.I'm sure that I'm kind of timid ,I can't afford any hurts which the people I loved bring to me.

yeah I understand this very well.
19.08.2016 - 01:40
Metren
Dreadrealm
I think this forgotten topic deserves to be re-animated. It's interesting to read people's views on life.

As for me, I start by trying my best to not harm myself, my loved ones or mankind. When I succeed at that, I try to take the next step and actually improve the well-being of the previously named. I don't think having a strict set of rules works, because people and situations are so radically different and ever-changing, however it might help to have some principles, guidelines, or rather suggestions, that are not written in stone, but perhaps at least written in wood (shitty expression, I know). My main princple in life is to be relentless when facing ignorance and evil that actually causes harm, but to be gentle, kind and forgiving, when facing ignorance, conflicts and other unpleasent things that can't actually harm anyone. In following this principle, I have found at least some inner peace and happiness in a world, where both seem to be a rare thing.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
22.08.2016 - 09:40
redmonde

I learned that life is short so use it wisely.
22.08.2016 - 11:21
no one
Account deleted
Written by Metren on 19.08.2016 at 01:40

I think this forgotten topic deserves to be re-animated. It's interesting to read people's views on life.

As for me, I start by trying my best to not harm myself, my loved ones or mankind. When I succeed at that, I try to take the next step and actually improve the well-being of the previously named. I don't think having a strict set of rules works, because people and situations are so radically different and ever-changing, however it might help to have some principles, guidelines, or rather suggestions, that are not written in stone, but perhaps at least written in wood (shitty expression, I know). My main princple in life is to be relentless when facing ignorance and evil that actually causes harm, but to be gentle, kind and forgiving, when facing ignorance, conflicts and other unpleasent things that can't actually harm anyone. In following this principle, I have found at least some inner peace and happiness in a world, where both seem to be a rare thing.

That's a good way to be....not very kvlt though.
22.08.2016 - 11:34
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Guest on 22.08.2016 at 11:21

That's a good way to be....not very kvlt though.

The grave will supply plenty of time for kvltness
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
22.08.2016 - 21:10
ANGEL REAPER

Dunno, i never had any ,maybe beside "March forward!" .What is goal of this march i am not sure yet, haven't found it yet.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
01.09.2016 - 09:06
FOOCK Nam

I have bunch of philosophies and lots of and some significantly from metalstormers.. Sometimes i forgot sometimes i remember, its cool.. Wish me sleep well tonight..
20.12.2016 - 01:04
DoomGuild
Account deleted
"Like most others, I was a seeker, a mover, a malcontent, and at times a stupid hell-raiser. I was never idle long enough to do much thinking, but I felt somehow that some of us were making real progress, that we had taken an honest road, and that the best of us would inevitably make it over the top. At the same time, I shared a dark suspicion that the life we were leading was a lost cause, that we were all actors, kidding ourselves along on a senseless odyssey. It was the tension between these two poles - a restless idealism on one hand and a sense of impending doom on the other - that kept me going."
― Hunter S. Thompson, The Rum Diary
27.05.2018 - 00:30
Drippy.Hippie

Various schools of thought make up my world view (all of which pretty much overlap)......Satanism (or "LaVeyan" Satanism for those who ignorantly believe that Satanism has different branches/types.....it absolutely does not), Ayn Rand's Objectivism, Nietzchean Thought, A touch of Machiavellianism, Epicureanism...............I'm militantly Anti-Postmodernist.

So, for the most part, I'm an individualist and anti-egalitarian to the core and unlike most of the masses, my mind is more than capable of perceiving things beyond the confines of good vs evil. I am also able to understand the difference between a 'sacrifice' and an 'investment' (which can be applied in the context of both monetary and personal).......I am opposed to Martyrdom. Anything which does not serve me in the long run is not worth my time/energy. Man's true nature is bigger than you, it's bigger than me.....So why try to fight our true nature? Man is the only animal within the natural realm who aimlessly does this.......because most men are too spineless to confront the fact that they have an ego, fucking cowards.

Also, subjectivity is the most cringe-worthy of trash. Dealing in absolutes is the only rational way to be. Facts don't change, truth doesn't change, both of those things exist independent of our feelings. Yes, throughout the ages, a general consensus may change but, we don't manufacture facts, we DISCOVER facts. To anyone who wishes to shoot that weak, tired, bullshit argument about "Only Siths deal in absolute truth"......Well, I ask you, that claim about Siths which you just made......Is it absolutely true?
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.
27.05.2018 - 16:13
IronAngel

Written by Drippy.Hippie on 27.05.2018 at 00:30

Nietzchean Thought... I'm militantly Anti-Postmodernist.
Also, subjectivity is the most cringe-worthy of trash. Dealing in absolutes is the only rational way to be.

Does not compute. Nietzsche brought epistemology out of the stone age and (would have) stood for the polar opposite of your views. He was post-modern before it was a thing. Although he was a bit ridiculous with his pomp and circumstance, he was a legitimate thinker and should not be associated with the intellectual charlatans you cited.
28.05.2018 - 03:35
Drippy.Hippie

Written by IronAngel on 27.05.2018 at 16:13

Written by Drippy.Hippie on 27.05.2018 at 00:30

Nietzchean Thought... I'm militantly Anti-Postmodernist.
Also, subjectivity is the most cringe-worthy of trash. Dealing in absolutes is the only rational way to be.

Does not compute. Nietzsche brought epistemology out of the stone age and (would have) stood for the polar opposite of your views. He was post-modern before it was a thing. Although he was a bit ridiculous with his pomp and circumstance, he was a legitimate thinker and should not be associated with the intellectual charlatans you cited.

Let me guess, you're one of those people who believe that Nietzsche was a nihilist, aren't you?

So okay, maybe he wasn't quite pro-objectivity......but he sure as hell was not a defacto postmodernist nor was he a nihilist.........My interpretation of being 'Beyond Good and Evil' is not to say that one should be amoral, but rather, transcend the moral norms that the masses have established. If you can prove that you occupy the moral high ground and the masses do not, then why not express it?

"Intellectual charlatans" Bite me.
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.
28.05.2018 - 10:28
IronAngel

Written by Drippy.Hippie on 28.05.2018 at 03:35

Let me guess, you're one of those people who believe that Nietzsche was a nihilist, aren't you?

So okay, maybe he wasn't quite pro-objectivity......but he sure as hell was not a defacto postmodernist nor was he a nihilist.........My interpretation of being 'Beyond Good and Evil' is not to say that one should be amoral, but rather, transcend the moral norms that the masses have established. If you can prove that you occupy the moral high ground and the masses do not, then why not express it?

Granted, it has been years since I studied philosophy and I'm not sure what books I have in mind, but I'm thinking here of Nietzsche's epistemology and the importance he gives to perspective/"optics". His background is Kantian, but I think it's been argued he subjectivizes/psychologizes/historizes Kant's categories. So that there is no access to unfiltered reality, no perspective outside perspectives to take, and the categories which shape our perception are highly contigent.

If we combine this with the "will to power" idea and move beyond Nietzsche's own intentions to the actual (and sensible, given the premises) legacy, we pretty much arrive to Foucault and the marriage of power relations and epistemes. Post-modernism ahoy.

Nietzsche may have held onto the conviction that somehow, his own ideas were above perspectives, or that by recognising the necessity of perspectives and exploiting them in some kind of a dialectic he might rise to higher truthfulness. I don't think that's very well founded on his own philosophical insights. (And we must remember he wasn't so much a systematic philosopher as a firecracker tossing ideas out there for testing.) The logical conclusion of his philosophy may not be meta-ethical relativism, post-modern anti-realist metaphysics or other extreme positions (mostly straw men used by positivists; I haven't seen much of that in academia). But the conclusion is a renewed study of history and society from the perspective of power and the dependence of values and knowledge of historical conditions - and that, in a nutshell, is the post-modern (academic) project.

As for his ethics, I don't remember what he says exactly but I don't think, from his point of view, you could ever "prove" that you occupy the moral high ground because "God is dead", i.e. there is no objective high ground to appeal to. (Granted, he might imply that having the strength of character to declare that you know better and feel more sincerely is in itself sufficient, but I don't buy that.) There is an existential streak in this realization, and while I'm maybe some kind of a non-realist virtue ethicist, I think this is a good point: ultimately the nature of morality boils down to individual responsibility. It is possible to do everything by the book, follow the laws, your professional ethic or the tenets of some ethical system like utilitarism but at the end of the day, that does not absolve you of moral responsibility - if you did wrong anyway, it may be on the system but it's also on you.

You may have read it, but I think Alasdair McIntyre's After Virtue is a good analysis of the dead end of western ethical theory by the 19th century, and how Nietzsche's solution was one logical (but unsatisfying) way out of it. What he offers as an alternative is less impressive, but I think he captures something essential about Nietzsche's appeal.

More broadly, I am suspicious of any theories that posit the exceptionality of their proponents. Nietzsche's style encourages this kind of rhetoric ("unlike most of the masses, my mind is more than capable of perceiving things beyond the confines of good vs evil"). I think arrogance is counter-productive to intellectual/ethical growth (it is the man that must be overcome, if you will).

I'm not moralizing you here; it's not wrong because it's wrong, period, and the meek shall inherit the earth! Rather, it is empirically dubious: we know for a fact that many people are entirely convinced of their own excellence contrary to surrounding society. They see and understand more, they feel more truly, they're free of the illusion. Only, they don't even agree with each other. And there is no evidence suggesting that these people are more intelligent than others. Being in a PhD program, I know dozens of docotral candidates and even internationally successful post-docs who suffer from impostor syndrome (in fact, I know barely any who don't): they continually think they are a fraud, not a real expert like others, and fear the day they are "exposed." It seems that the danger of highly intelligent people in highly demanding jobs is not hubris but excessive doubt - because they've seen through the illusion of their own excellence but cannot yet (affectively, anyway) reconcile this with a realistic impression of others.

That went a bit further into pyschology than intended, but the point is, I think it's supreme hubris to think that if you disagree with most people, you must have come to some gnostic realisation that others are incapable of reaching. Chances are, many smart people understand your arguments very well, may have even gone through that phase at some point, and are simply critical of them for their own, legitimate reasons. If it seems that no matter how you argue, they don't get it, chances are that you're not presenting your case clearly (hello Nietzsche) or that there's some fundamental incongruence you hadn't considered. Anyone who is overly confident in their own view, especially if it is in radical conflict with the general consensus, probably has not considered and understood enough alternative positions to realize that most arguments, and especially entire world views, are radically underdetermined and therefore there may be good reasons to subscribe to them, but not sufficient reasons to exclude any other possibilities.

That's not to say you shouldn't be confident in your position as long as it seems the strongest, but it's simply false to say that "the masses" (and especially the intelligent people throughout history who happen to agree with the masses) "don't get it" or are deluded. You might be a special snowflake with exclusive gnosis that reveals hidden truths (which is what many religious sectarians argue, after all) - but chances are, you're not, and there's no way to know for sure.

I try (and often fail) to be humble not because it's the "right" or "Christian" thing to do but because it's emotionally and intellectually mature and empirically reasonable.
28.05.2018 - 11:18
IronAngel

And slightly beside the point: I think reading more is the best antidote to arrogance and interest in absolutes. When you start reading and get enthusiastic about something, sure, at first you think it's the best thing ever and you're one of the elect few. But the more you read, and more broadly - provided you remain sympathetic and intellectually sincere towards the books - the harder it becomes to believe in simple answers or be very certain about something. I can't help but be struck by the intelligence, personal virtue, superior education and broad perspective of many writers I don't agree with.

This initial infatuation with an idea (and consequently, your idea) is related to the Mt Stupid phenomenon (the less you know, the more you think you know), but it's more than that. I think it has to do with persuasion, our short affective memory, and the aforementioned underdeterminedness of arguments. Often I find myself listening to a lecture, watching YouTube videos or reading an article and agreeing enthusiastically with the speaker/author. What a good point! But then I read a critical piece, or come back to consider the issue from some other perspective, and I am convinced that the initial point was completely wrong. But then, I might become skeptical of this reversion too. I think it shows that even educated people make their judgements "in the heat of the moment." The argument can be persuasive, but because it's never conclusively determined, the counter-argument can be just as good, and because we're always making these judgements in specific contexts (with their own emotional tenor, social tensions, practical reasons weighing now one way, now the other etc.) it may be hard to finally solve who's right.

I guess my point is, it becomes hard to remain dogmatic if you're 1) intelligent, 2) honest to yourself, and 3) read enough, sympathetically enough. I am lecturing you as a person a bit, sure, but I think it's fair since you kinda asked for it, declaring your allegiance very confrontationally to very these antagonistic, dogmatic schools of thought. I don't seriously think I'll convert you, but it needs to be said that independent, critical thinking, intellectual honesty and moral backbone don't necessarily (or even likely) lead to the self-serving, militant and reductive conclusions you've come to. Others aren't "cowards" or "less capable" for not agreeing with that nonsense.