Metal Storm logo
What philosophy do you base your life on?

Original post

Posted by , 17.06.2006 - 15:26
As the topic indicates... What is the philosophy, quote, saying etc... that you base you life mostly on and use basicly every day in your life with yourself and your surroundings?
I mainly follow the quote : "To be or not to be? That is not the question! To BE! But to be what?" it kind of makes me think about every choice i make in my life and every path i choose to take with myself and my surrounding.
18.12.2007 - 11:47
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i have formed new "sentence how to live" yesterday :

"Imagine all people in the world will be just exactly like you? Would you like such a world? So always live and act this way, that you would."

this is my answer for the people who are saying "one man can change nothing"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.01.2008 - 09:34
Lupas
Maximus
Pls someone help me I have an exam about 10 from now about Philosophy mainly on Christian Ethics and i really don't know nothing . I wonder how i can pass this one , i don't want to have a resit in summer for this
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
13.01.2008 - 18:59
Hamird
Lieutenant
LIVING AND LEARNING is my target of life. my father told me that learn anything as much as you can ... it's not important that is good or bad... coz it depends on you, if you declare that's a bad act don't do that. ...but if its good use it...
13.01.2008 - 19:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
my life philosophy is live and let die lol

actually i'll quote one of my favourite lyrics on this subject, Iced Earth-Stand Alone

Listen not to ones who preach
Those who feel you're a freak
Everything about you is wrong
You must be sick, you don't belong

Father said, worry not what they say
Use your mind, your own free will
In a time when everyone follows
Ignorance can kill

They only say what they want you to hear
Half-truths have been twisted to conceal your fate
In a world of spoon-fed emotion
Intelligence can save

Stand alone
Hear what I say
Stand alone
You will seize the day

Son, say what you mean, don't be afraid
Tell them how you feel, hear what I say
Be true to yourself and true to your own
Your spirit will crush the hearts of stone

Stand alone
Hear what I say
Stand alone
It's a leap of faith
13.01.2008 - 19:46
Cookies Upstairs
Account deleted
All things must pass, except for time. Time is god, time is everything. There was time befor our creation, and there will maybe even be time after us, I don't know. We live until we die, no matter how far we will get with our medical research, to live is to die, that's all what matters. It is our decision to do what we wish, but we must always keep in mind, whatever we do, even if it lasts an eternal life, we are confined. Searching for the meaning of life is time wasted, because there is none, we live because we have no other choise, except for death, and death is to what everything one day returns. That is my philosophy, you name it.
14.01.2008 - 19:07
Lupas
Maximus
Written by Hamird on 13.01.2008 at 18:59

LIVING AND LEARNING is my target of life. my father told me that learn anything as much as you can ... it's not important that is good or bad... coz it depends on you, if you declare that's a bad act don't do that. ...but if its good use it...

But that is a subjective point of view, in other words it depends only on the view and opinion of a person to declare something good and bad. It is better to guide on the funcntion of that object .
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
16.01.2008 - 10:22
LostSoul

"Live like you're going to live forever, but live like you're going to die tomorrow" some might say it's stupid but I'm not regretting anything I have done in my life so far. Not even my drinking accidents
----
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn... we fucked up"
16.01.2008 - 13:02
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by LostSoul on 16.01.2008 at 10:22

"Live like you're going to live forever, but live like you're going to die tomorrow" some might say it's stupid but I'm not regretting anything I have done in my life so far. Not even my drinking accidents

didn't you mean the James Dean quote: "Dream like you're going to live forever, but live like you're going to die tomorrow"?
16.01.2008 - 21:48
Ernis
狼獾
Now I can finally say out of pure sincere heart.....I AVOID any kind of philosophy forever....the only good thing bout philosophy was the fact that I didn't fail it completely but got an E instead.......for those who feel that philosophy is not for them but still have to suffer studying it at school....I'm so sorry for you....
17.01.2008 - 11:57
LostSoul

Written by Valentin B on 16.01.2008 at 13:02

Written by LostSoul on 16.01.2008 at 10:22

didn't you mean the James Dean quote: "Dream like you're going to live forever, but live like you're going to die tomorrow"?

I quess it's the same... I only saw it somewhere while I was doing something. It just stuck into my brains
----
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn... we fucked up"
19.01.2008 - 03:36
Ascalon

Analysis, imagination... two important things... then the posiblity of being changing everyday ... learning and some way a little bit pesimist and self destructive ... while don't bohter other ones ...

That are my bases ... I don't know if this can be called philosophy
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
23.02.2008 - 02:44
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
the day after tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life......that way you always have a few days to play with. you could paint your toenails to look like talons so when you pick mice up with your feet you look like an eagle........what? its an hour isnt it?
hehe bill bailey.....
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
27.02.2008 - 17:44
belisarius

"only the dead have seen the end of the war" by plato and "man is the cruelest animal" by Nietzsche: violence is a normal action of all things that live because everything and everyone only thinks about him/her/itself.
i also base my life on the idea that everything is explainable by science and that all the rest is just an easy,but wrong, way of explaining something.
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
27.02.2008 - 18:13
pietje
Account deleted
Written by belisarius on 27.02.2008 at 17:44

I also base my life on the idea that everything is explainable by science and that all the rest is just an easy,but wrong, way of explaining something.

Boy, boy, how could ever science explain everything? If everything must be explained by science, we al must be dead, for living things can never be put in any scheme, nor can it be analysed, for you need to rip apart to be able to analyse.
If I have any philosophy, than it is that I am bad, just like anyone else and therefor I can better die than live on like I do now. On the other hand I am a important and necessary part of the society where I live in and so I should not die. My fellow humans are as valuable as I am and so I live for them.
And, as I am a christian, I also need to live for God. That means that I live, knowing that He has saved my dreadful live, given me a new live among other christians, my family, and act in that knowledge, trying to convince all of you of the truth of christianity. I also try to keep His law, even though I know that this thing can on no way save me anymore.
Knowing this is the base and the fundament of my life.
04.03.2008 - 04:03
Hylia

Basically the Traditional western view, that we do have a soul, an essence. Although I don't have a religion, I don't doubt the existence of a higher power. I dont think religion effectively explains all of the mysteries in the world and I do not put my trust in it. Nonetheless, I still like the idea of an afterlife, just not the way religion describes it.
04.03.2008 - 12:57
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Lupas on 14.01.2008 at 19:07

But that is a subjective point of view, in other words it depends only on the view and opinion of a person to declare something good and bad. It is better to guide on the funcntion of that object .

From a philosophical point of view, yes. Then every object has a different meaning, depending on the subject. But you should keep in mind that not everyone use philosophy to judge objects. Actually, learning what is good and bad is a good way to develop moral values. Even when both terms don't really exist.

I don't really base my life on "a" philosophy. Recently I am interested in the topic, but I would never be able to say that I follow the philosophy of one philosopher. I have my own thoughts about life and our existence, and I base my life on those.
04.03.2008 - 13:29
Lupas
Maximus
Written by AntaeusM on 04.03.2008 at 12:57

Written by Lupas on 14.01.2008 at 19:07

From a philosophical point of view, yes. Then every object has a different meaning, depending on the subject. But you should keep in mind that not everyone use philosophy to judge objects. Actually, learning what is good and bad is a good way to develop moral values. Even when both terms don't really exist.

I don't really base my life on "a" philosophy. Recently I am interested in the topic, but I would never be able to say that I follow the philosophy of one philosopher. I have my own thoughts about life and our existence, and I base my life on those.

You are right , and so this is the way a philosophy minded person should behave. Philosophy is based on diferent arguments which reflects reality in which we live so every person have his/her philsophy to base his life on them. I don't agree with "based on my life" but to choice the right way/s to base my life on them .
Studying philosophy is not an easy task but each day i love to discover some theories from different philosophers .
----
05.03.2008 - 19:46
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Hegelianism: It's not enough to look at something at face value and give an extended hyperbole about things (oh, this album is SO good, it will blow your mind!) You have to look at things systematically, deconstruct things and rip them apart and after you go through a systematic revolution will you become mature and knowledgeable...you become the change, taking in the whole object and understanding it and perceived it differently than how you first percieved it
06.03.2008 - 03:55
Number Juan

Rational Egoism. I do what pleases me on physical, mental and social levels. That hasn't made me the most popular guy around by far, but it has made me a hell of a lot happier. It is not perfect but it works for me.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
08.03.2008 - 07:30
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Number Juan on 06.03.2008 at 03:55

Rational Egoism. I do what pleases me on physical, mental and social levels. That hasn't made me the most popular guy around by far, but it has made me a hell of a lot happier. It is not perfect but it works for me.

You mean like Ayn Rand? Her writing kicks ass.
08.03.2008 - 10:23
Number Juan

Written by Guest on 08.03.2008 at 07:30

I haven't gotten around to reading her writings. I will, eventually, but college duties have me by the balls right now. I basically came up with that philosophy myself in a way. I spent a lot of time thinking about the nature of loneliness and how pointless it is to try and please everybody. I simply decided that I was gonna live my life the way I wanted to, look to see if there was a name for it on the internet, and found out that what I was doing was called rational egoism, so that's what I go by. I may be unconciously following at least some of her principles though.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
08.03.2008 - 16:53
Unerly
Account deleted
Live now, fix it later.
08.03.2008 - 18:56
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Number Juan on 08.03.2008 at 10:23

I haven't gotten around to reading her writings. I will, eventually, but college duties have me by the balls right now. I basically came up with that philosophy myself in a way. I spent a lot of time thinking about the nature of loneliness and how pointless it is to try and please everybody. I simply decided that I was gonna live my life the way I wanted to, look to see if there was a name for it on the internet, and found out that what I was doing was called rational egoism, so that's what I go by. I may be unconciously following at least some of her principles though.

Read "The Fountainhead" - I guarantee you'll enjoy it. My younger sister bases her life philosophy on Ayn Rand's principles.
08.03.2008 - 19:00
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 08.03.2008 at 16:53

Live now, fix it later.

I used to think that way. Trust me, you are going to be in for a rough life.
09.03.2008 - 04:48
Unerly
Account deleted
My gf is pregnant now.

Fix it later.
09.03.2008 - 04:57
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.03.2008 at 04:48

My gf is pregnant now.

Fix it later.

Yes, my point exactly. I rest my case.
09.03.2008 - 05:53
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Be The Miracle

----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
09.03.2008 - 08:11
Number Juan

Written by Guest on 08.03.2008 at 18:56

Written by Number Juan on 08.03.2008 at 10:23

Read "The Fountainhead" - I guarantee you'll enjoy it. My younger sister bases her life philosophy on Ayn Rand's principles.

Thanks for the rec. I will buy the book, as soon as I get the chance.
----
09.03.2008 - 08:35
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Number Juan on 09.03.2008 at 08:11

Written by Guest on 08.03.2008 at 18:56

Thanks for the rec. I will buy the book, as soon as I get the chance.

Buy? Why not sign it out of a library?
09.03.2008 - 09:47
Evil Chip

Written by Guest on 09.03.2008 at 04:48

My gf is pregnant now.

Fix it later.

Thats a nice way to see life.