Metal Storm logo
What philosophy do you base your life on?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.06.2006 - 15:26
As the topic indicates... What is the philosophy, quote, saying etc... that you base you life mostly on and use basicly every day in your life with yourself and your surroundings?
I mainly follow the quote : "To be or not to be? That is not the question! To BE! But to be what?" it kind of makes me think about every choice i make in my life and every path i choose to take with myself and my surrounding.
09.12.2008 - 09:59
laid2rest
Account deleted
I've thought that you've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run. And that you never count your money, when you're sitting at the table, because there'll be time enough for counting, when the dealing's done.
09.12.2008 - 10:00
laid2rest
Account deleted
I've thought that you've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run. And that you never count your money, when you're sitting at the table, because there'll be time enough for counting, when the dealing's done.
13.04.2009 - 12:21
RoboMinotaur
Account deleted
Ive always struggled with understanding why things were defined as good and bad.
Its all cause and effect. someone could say that truman dropping the A-Bomb was unnecessary and inherently bad.
Others could say he dropped it, saved thousands of potential lives through strife and therefore is inherently good.
Put both those aside and you have one man, making one decision, and a spiderweb of effects and statistics from that decision.
Theres a word for that, its called Nihilism and thats what i believe.
15.04.2009 - 07:53
Hrothdane
Written by Guest on 13.04.2009 at 12:21

Ive always struggled with understanding why things were defined as good and bad.
Its all cause and effect. someone could say that truman dropping the A-Bomb was unnecessary and inherently bad.
Others could say he dropped it, saved thousands of potential lives through strife and therefore is inherently good.
Put both those aside and you have one man, making one decision, and a spiderweb of effects and statistics from that decision.

Not necessarily. A number of philosophies reject objective morality. Nihilism specifically means that nothing has intrinsic meaning/value NOR CAN IT BE GIVEN. To be a true nihilist, terms of valuation (such as bad, good, evil, etc) must have absolutely no meaning to you. Thus, the very idea of nihilism has no moral value to you. Thus, logically, you have no rational reason to be a nihilist.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
17.04.2009 - 07:45
RoboMinotaur
Account deleted
Written by Hrothdane on 15.04.2009 at 07:53

Not necessarily. A number of philosophies reject objective morality. Nihilism specifically means that nothing has intrinsic meaning/value NOR CAN IT BE GIVEN. To be a true nihilist, terms of valuation (such as bad, good, evil, etc) must have absolutely no meaning to you. Thus, the very idea of nihilism has no moral value to you. Thus, logically, you have no rational reason to be a nihilist.

Okay, with you just bantering "thus" around like a mad man, lets get something straight. Just because a philosophy doesnt accept
a certain mechanics that others use for justification (good/bad) doesnt mean that the terms dont exist. Further more Nihilism doesnt
prohibit the formation of opinions. So essentially said nihilist could substitute Like and Dislike inplace of good and bad without moral
infringement. Your view of having no rational reason to be a nihilist is based on an individual living in a world of supreme morality
which honestly cant exist unless your a madman.
17.04.2009 - 08:14
Hrothdane
Written by Guest on 17.04.2009 at 07:45

Okay, with you just bantering "thus" around like a mad man, lets get something straight. Just because a philosophy doesnt accept
a certain mechanics that others use for justification (good/bad) doesnt mean that the terms dont exist. Further more Nihilism doesnt
prohibit the formation of opinions. So essentially said nihilist could substitute Like and Dislike inplace of good and bad without moral
infringement. Your view of having no rational reason to be a nihilist is based on an individual living in a world of supreme morality

I'm talking about the term nihilism as the philosophical community defines it, not some random meaning I came up with. I'm saying that you cannot make a sound inductive argument for nihilism. I am NOT saying you can't be a nihilist; you will just have to accept that the choice to be a nihilist is criterionless and wholly subjective. Opinions lie beyond the realm of logic. "I like" and "I dislike" are subjective.

I don't believe that there is a consistent a priori universal morality, or in fact that anything has intrinsic meaning or value. However, as an existentialist in the vein of Nietzsche and Sartre, I also believe that we can and should create meaning or value, as well as a morality to support that. A true nihilist would say that is impossible.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
18.04.2009 - 10:02
RoboMinotaur
Account deleted
Written by Hrothdane on 17.04.2009 at 08:14

Written by Guest on 17.04.2009 at 07:45

I'm talking about the term nihilism as the philosophical community defines it, not some random meaning I came up with. I'm saying that you cannot make a sound inductive argument for nihilism. I am NOT saying you can't be a nihilist; you will just have to accept that the choice to be a nihilist is criterionless and wholly subjective. Opinions lie beyond the realm of logic. "I like" and "I dislike" are subjective.

I don't believe that there is a consistent a priori universal morality, or in fact that anything has intrinsic meaning or value. However, as an existentialist in the vein of Nietzsche and Sartre, I also believe that we can and should create meaning or value, as well as a morality to support that. A true nihilist would say that is impossible.

That's kind of the point. That's kind of always been the point throughout history. IF the people in the Russian Nihilist movement sat
down and tried to create any of these things your advocating for Nihilism to even "exist" (in your opinion) then it wouldnt have been
anything new, It would have just been another antiquated and failed system. Your beliefs that people should strive for meaning and value
is a stab at giving life meaning. Nihilism is just cutting the crap. ya you can STRIVE to create meaning but that doesnt mean that you
can succeed. So you created a famous novel that will be remembered and studied for all time. too bad humanity will exist for a tiny
smidgen of all time.
18.04.2009 - 16:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
My current philosophy(concerning the relationships with other people)
-help everyone as long as they didn't do (or the fact that i am helping them does) considerable harm to me in the past or present or there is a possibility they'll do in the future
-don't steal, cheat or lie as long as it does considerable harm to another person if they found out
-be friendly but cautious with most people
28.05.2009 - 17:46
Varjo Hauta
Account deleted
In the end, when it's time to die, at least I know that I gave my life for things I love. Oh...one more thing....never make decisions when you're angry.
08.06.2009 - 23:12
AbdelioR
I try to do what I want and what I think it's correct. I don't care about the other people's thinking. I think that this life has no especial meaning, we are here purely by chance, so, why do I have to do what "they" wants me to do? I'll do what I want. I think we must enjoy every day of our life, doing that what makes we feel comfortable. Polytics, religion, people who tells you what is good and what it bad, what can you do and what you can't, bleeeh!! Nobody will disturb my internal peace
----
97. Keep your Gore level down for your friends, you're still a social being.
01.12.2009 - 05:57
Nexus
Asshat
I just had a conversation with a friend of mine, and this pretty much sums it up:

Quote:

everyone suffers, everyone seeks happiness.
this is a fact of the existence of every sentient being with a capacity for either in the history of the universe
his first realization was that life, as usually lived, is suffering
his second Noble Truth was that this suffering is not haphazard and inescapable (he was not a pessimist)
it is a conditioned arising, and as such, has definite causes
this fact was his third Noble Truth
what causes suffering?
according to him, a few main mental factors:
--clinging to things, phenomena, ideas, people, etc.--to impermanent forms that inevitably pass away and cause suffering when they do
--craving
--aversion
and --ignorance, forgetting that all impermanent things can never provide permanent satisfaction, that all phenomena are impermanent, that all of the constituents of our being (body, thoughts, feelings, mental formations, states of consciousness) are impermanent, and that no being escapes sickness, old age, and death
this, to me, constitutes a universal truth that links the subjective worlds of all beings together
the Buddha suggested that the more we become mindful of these causes of suffering in our inner life and diminish them with practice, the less we will suffer
he poses that as a hypothesis for us to test out
There is another universal that guides my life
This one is truly universal, which we know because it was independently discovered by Aristotle in Ancient Greece, Kung-fu tzu (Confucius) in Ancient China, and the Buddha in Ancient Nepal
even though these individuals never corresponded with one another

this, as Aristotle wrote about it in his Nicomachean Ethics, and Confucius wrote about in his Analects, is the truth of the Middle Way
which is that the best human beings can hope to achieve is always the middle way between extremes, and that virtue itself constitutes a middle way
for instance:
courage is the middle way between cowardilness and rashness
wisdom is the middle way between ignorance and overthinking
joy is the middle way between suffering and self-destructive intoxication
love is the middle way between hatred and clinging obsession
and so on, for all of the virtues
the Buddha accepted this view, but also radically extended it to all spheres of human life; he thought that even in our metaphysical views, we should pursue the middle way
so, we would not say "the universe is totally beautiful" or "the universe is totally ugly", we would say the universe is both beautiful in the midst of its ugliness and ugly in the midst of its beauty

or we would not live by total indulgence in everything on the one hand, or total asceticism on the other; we would live a balanced life that is moderate, but enjoys the joys of the universe at the same time
so in all things, these three great sages tell us, we should seek the middle way
this principle guides my thinking, action, and speech
(even when I drink, I do not get so little drunk that it isn't worth my money, nor so drunk that I get very sick and hungover )

And: What doesn't kill ya, makes ya stronger!
----
If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for everything
02.12.2009 - 20:42
CaLu
Account deleted
This is the philosophy I try to base my life on: We must keep the spirit alive otherwise we'll drown in our negativity.

It sort of means that you must try to see the positive in every situation you deal with. And giving you a positive aura around you so that you sent a positve vibe to the people who're around you.

By trying to avoid to see the negative out of things, although negativity is almost certain to occur in everyones lifes, it is best to think about the better days to come and after the darkness, there shall always be light shining upon you.

By staying in negative feelings / thoughts / situations you can come - at least in my opinion - in a negative spiral. Which can in the worst scenario mean the end of life.
27.01.2010 - 09:57
Here's mine. It's straight of of Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse V:

So it goes.

Basically it means to me that life is an uphill struggle. It's the fusion between the Elizabethan Wheel of fortune and Sysiphus and his boulder. When bad stuff happens - so it goes. Equally, when good stuff happens, so it goes. You take every day as it comes because it will always be different. The more active in pursuing you goals and dreams you are the better, but at the end of the day, life wins. So it goes. Human endeavor is ultimately futile because human nature cannot be changed. So it goes.

This was also summed up in a bumper sticker with 'shit happens' written on it, but that's a wee bit simplistic. And doesn't imply that you should READ THIS BOOK NOW!!!

I also try to behave with honour and chivalry in almost everything that I do. And I believe that hard effort is the price we all must pay to achieve anything worthwhile - paraphrasing Vince Lombardi there.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
28.01.2010 - 02:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Ive only ever had one philosophy/motto in life, and it's simply, ''treat others as you yourself wish to be treated''.
28.01.2010 - 23:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.01.2010 at 02:21

Ive only ever had one philosophy/motto in life, and it's simply, ''treat others as you yourself wish to be treated''.

Good one , but you know rthere enemy to who wanst em dead and ehh long story and I never will do it
There one other what I stoll from Mongols MC
''Respect Fiew-Fear Non'' Its abour rude and bully type people, because there hasnt been non time in my life in open air city fest whatever where people ruin all fun because they likes do it , simply i dont like such people
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.01.2010 - 23:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
I believe in the path as set forth by Monique, the French exchange student in the 80's classic flick, "Better Off Dead"...

"Go this way real fast. If something gets in your way, turn."
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.01.2010 - 23:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
About death I always follow no please for mercy, if someone try kill him he sad please for life, I wont I better choose he shoot me, how please for lie and try hit his gun, dunno why people are scared when see gun and before death I have no fear from it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.01.2010 - 15:47
FOOCK Nam
Written by Bad English on 28.01.2010 at 23:24

About death I always follow no please for mercy, if someone try kill him he sad please for life, I wont I better choose he shoot me, how please for lie and try hit his gun, dunno why people are scared when see gun and before death I have no fear from it

Man, if you compare death by gun-hitting to suicide, and if you face suicide situation, it is not clearly about your fear. Almost people commit suicide cry before they did it.
29.01.2010 - 15:48
FOOCK Nam
Written by BitterCOld on 28.01.2010 at 23:21

"Go this way real fast. If something gets in your way, turn."

I dont understand it
30.01.2010 - 15:06
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.01.2010 at 02:21

Just imagine how annoyed introvert personalities will get when one as an extrovert traets them as s/he wants to be treated!
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
30.01.2010 - 15:31
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Smile while you're making it
Laugh while you're taking it
Even though you're faking it
Nobody's gonna know.
06.02.2010 - 00:40
Misandry
"Is it really such a big deal?" and "Everything in moderation." describe the way I live my life. "Change is the only unchanging truth." is the way I stay happy.

And the way I interact with others is summed up with, "Do something unexpected." Which isn't very hard to do, actually. Also, as a side note, I don't believe in lies. Or time. Expectations, lies, and time are all things that make life miserable - or so I've noticed. And I don't particularly want to be miserable.
----
"Death solves all problems. No man, no problem." - Stalin
06.02.2010 - 02:04
FOOCK Nam
Written by Valentin B on 18.04.2009 at 16:03

My current philosophy(concerning the relationships with other people)
-help everyone as long as they didn't do (or the fact that i am helping them does) considerable harm to me in the past or present or there is a possibility they'll do in the future
-don't steal, cheat or lie as long as it does considerable harm to another person if they found out
-be friendly but cautious with most people

Nice. I like the last one most but the first two is not bad too.

Wonder if people closed to you in family or kin harm you, do you still help them ? Sorry if my question sounds blunt.
30.03.2010 - 15:47
SerratedSyringe
"As you are walking through open territory disturb no one. If a man disturbs you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
05.04.2010 - 01:17
I_Die_Often
Written by SerratedSyringe on 30.03.2010 at 15:47

"As you are walking through open territory disturb no one. If a man disturbs you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."

I also like to treat everyone with respect and courtesy until they show me they are not deserving of it.

Personal Philosophy - Self reliance and personal accountability.
There are two things that don't seem to exist much these days.
I like to believe I posses both traits, but those around me are the judge of that.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
05.04.2010 - 01:25
SerratedSyringe
Written by I_Die_Often on 05.04.2010 at 01:17

Written by SerratedSyringe on 30.03.2010 at 15:47

I also like to treat everyone with respect and courtesy until they show me they are not deserving of it.

Personal Philosophy - Self reliance and personal accountability.
There are two things that don't seem to exist much these days.
I like to believe I posses both traits, but those around me are the judge of that.

Self reliance is very important to me too. I think if you can be self reliant accountability will follow and vice versa.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
10.04.2010 - 01:11
Candlemass
Defaeco
Non aware self-biased one.
and that's the best one!

Why even start looking for the truth when you already know it?
15.04.2010 - 16:03
Kennoth
I don't have special philosophy in life.

Perhaps, 'eye for an eye'?
----
*insert something deep and profound*
05.11.2010 - 12:15
Yavanna
I don't have a specific life filosophy, only just hold on.
AND KEEP MY DARKSIDE UNDER CONTROL.
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
04.02.2011 - 14:46
Night Sight
To live for my death
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness