04. Battle Against Time
05. Death And The Healing
06. Starchild
07. Beautiful Death
08. Sadness And Hate
09. Winter Madness [demo] [Japanese bonus]
10. Beyond The Dark Sun [demo] [Japanese bonus]
11. Death And The Healing [demo] [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [Live At Summer Breeze 2005 DVD] [2006 Special Tour Edition re-release bonus]
01. Beyond The Dark Sun
02. Battle Against Time
03. Sleeping Stars
04. Beautiful Death
05. Death And The Healing
06. Winter Madness

Those readers who are familiar with the history of folk/power-metallers Ensiferum will doubtless be familiar with the history of Wintersun (i.e. that after walking out on Ensiferum, main man Jari Maënpäa formed the latter as a solo project). Speculation was rife in melodic metal circles - expectations for 'Wintersun' were largely high, though some suspected that Wintersun would be little more than Ensiferum Pt.II. In spite of the various similarities between this release and those of Maënpäa's former band (and make no mistake- they do exist), 'Wintersun' is very much an exceptional album, and will be reviewed as such.

Along with writing all music and lyrics, Maënpäa has taken it upon himself to play all guitar parts, keys and unleashes the vocal powerhouse with which listeners were teased in Ensiferum. Maënpäa is joined in this sonic sublimation by Rotten Sound drummer Kai Hahto, who lends to the album a deservedly intense and passionate rhythmic backbone.

The combination of the two is nothing short of breath-taking. By bringing together the best elements of folk, power, prog and extreme metal, Wintersun takes the listener on a remarkable journey covering a huge musical spectrum while maintaining a distinctive and exciting sound. Opening track "Beyond the Dark Sun" acts as short, fast slap in the face - grabbing the listener by the balls and warning them to get ready for a soulful and aggressive 54 minutes. Songs such as "Winter Madness," "Battle Against Time," and "Starchild" perpetuate this sorrowful, though energetic vibe by mixing the expectedly flashy, impressive guitar-playing of Maënpäa with some truly astounding drumming from valuable recruit Hahto. As a guitarist myself, the guitar-playing on an album is of vital importance to me - if the pyrotechnics fizzle, my interest fades. With this in mind, let it be said that if Angus Young is TNT, then listening to 'Wintersun' is an apocalyptic barrage of H-bombs. Maënpäa's leads mix soul and shred in ways that the competition can only dream of, while his rhythm playing is aggressive, beautiful, immaculate. Time for the Starchild to take over from the Wildchild, if I may be so bold as to say so.

Such songs (the fast ones, that is) are complemented beautifully by the several majestic and emotive masterpieces that adorn "Wintersun." As "Death and the Healing" and the epic "Sadness and Hate" illustrate, Maënpäa manages to craft mind-blowing songs at practically any tempo - reflecting his undeniable songwriting expertise perfectly.

Production of the album is just as compelling as its musicianship. Everything is crystal-clear, with each instrument mixed masterfully. The engineering and production (no prizes for guessing who produced it) is invaluable in the creation of the album's strong and cold ("wintery" even) atmosphere.

The generally melancholic and introspective feel of the album (both lyrically and musically) is further augmented by the wonderful album art (courtesy of Kristian Wahlin). The snow that dominates the scene is oppressive and foreboding, though light breaks through ever-so-slightly, as it does in the music.

In summary, all aspects of this album (from the overlooked to the essential) complement each other and create a cohesive whole that provides the listener with an experience to be very much treasured. I feel privileged to have this album - it truly feels like a gift from Jari Maënpäa to the metal world. There is no way that I can give 'Wintersun' anything other than a perfect 10.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by Hyvaarin | 16.06.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Black_Handed
Rating:
Ok, just to make it clear right at the beginning, I absolutely love/adore/worship (choose preferred term) this album. And I'm not alone, just check the number of fans in "Featured bands" section. So reviewing this album comes with great responsibility.
Jari Mäenpää started as a part of Ensiferum. Great black folk metal band if you'd ask me. So why did he leave? He came up with some interesting not-so-Ensiferum-like ideas. So he started his own project with drummer Kai Hahto of Rotten Sound grinders. But where are the others? Where are synth, bass, second guitar players we can hear in there? Well by the time Wintersun was recorded Jari Mäenpää did everything except drums. Yes, everything except drums. Later on Jukka Koskinken of Norther and Teemu Mäntysaari joined to finish the lineup.

Read more ››
published 07.07.2006 | Comments (26)

Guest review by
Talvi
Rating:
Wintersun is the band Jari Mäenpää started after leaving Ensiferum. Some people dispise this band because they compare it to Ensiferum and say it's worse. Big mistake. This probably isn't as bombastic and catchy as Ensiferum, of course, but, what is Wintersun?

I've seen them labelled as Melodic Death Metal, as well as Extreme Power Metal. The first thing that comes to my mind though, is Children Of Bodom. But Children Of Bodom they are not. They play somewhat epic, almost progressive Melodic Death/Black Metal with Folk influences. You may see it as less Folk-like, as only some riffs have Folk qualities, but more aggressive and complex Ensiferum. It's far more than just that however.

Read more ››
published 29.12.2006 | Comments (6)

Guest review by
RhaegarTargaryen
Rating:
When in 2004 Jari Mäenpää left Ensiferum, few people could imagine what impact that would leave on the metal community. Ensiferum got on pretty we'll, but what Jari did with his new band Wintersun was something quite unexpected. There are only few albums that deserve this kind of praise and hype, but I think this one is one of them.

Read more ››
published 21.12.2007 | Comments (29)

Guest review by
Andro Maximus
Rating:
A most beautiful melancholic album cover, fast sweeping guitar solos, some fantastic melodies, and an epic, if slightly overproduced soundscape - Wintersun's debut album is clearly the result of a lot of passion and hard work and is obviously intended to be a monumental album. It is a shame then, that with so much going for it, Wintersun falls short of being the masterpiece that it is intended to be.

Read more ››
published 27.07.2014 | Comments (11)

Comments

Comments: 80   Visited by: 459 users
17.06.2006 - 15:40
Revenant
Account deleted
So true, hail Witnersun
18.06.2006 - 19:48
Basso
Account deleted
Wintersun is good, but incredibly overrated. This album is not perfect, it is good. And I don't really see how they could become this overrated since wintersun is in my eyes just Ensifyrium with more blastbeats.
23.06.2006 - 02:46
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.06.2006 at 19:48

Wintersun is good, but incredibly overrated. This album is not perfect, it is good. And I don't really see how they could become this overrated since wintersun is in my eyes just Ensifyrium with more blastbeats.

Wintersun is far more than Ensiferum with blast beats....havent you listened to it at all? Dont you hear how more intrictate and complicated the music is? Ensiferum is sword in the hand metal...Wintersun is much more Epic and challenging than that. It has far more solos and sweeps and complex song writing than anything from Ensiferum. If i could give Wintersun more than 10/10 i would...its that good.
23.06.2006 - 14:55
Basso
Account deleted
I still think Wintersun is largly overrated and I don't think anything at the moment can change that... Maybe their liveshow at Wacken can prove me wrong. I will give them another chanse there.
25.06.2006 - 14:17
lFrostl
Account deleted
Awesome Album!!!!! yes they are more complex than Ensiferum.

25.06.2006 - 18:07
Rating: 5
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
I agree with Basso here. It surely is a good album, but a 10 is way too much. I'd give it an 8.

Maybe you guys have it for only two weeks, because the first few times I was in love it with it too. But then it because just.. good. Not God.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.06.2006 - 19:41
Rating: 10
Black_Handed
A village idiot
heheh i hope my review is going to be posted too . first time it was rejected only because one sentence didnt make any sense. i missed the word "album" ). even though i actually meant to put it there...just forgot . ok anyway this album is great...but i didnt give it all 10s. lowest mark was for originality. but the rest is mostly 10s (with one 9...im not sure
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
26.06.2006 - 13:46
Rating: 9
Hyvaarin
Nervel: I don't know if that was directed at me as well as the others, but I've had the album for well over 2 weeks - 9 months or so. Fair enough that you don't worship it like I and some others do, though .
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
26.06.2006 - 14:32
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Yes, that was directed towards you. Well, if you have it for so long, than I guess your opinion is valid. Apologies if I offended you, but I find it way too overrated for a 10. Anyway, your opinion.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.06.2006 - 14:41
Hyvaarin
Hey, no problem at all. Glad you took the time to comment my review.

----
26.06.2006 - 14:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Ok. No problem too.
----

10.07.2006 - 03:00
Stigmatized
Maybe a 9, not a perfect album.
26.07.2006 - 01:19
Svelte
Account deleted
Hail Wintersun, they rock...I really like their sound and the guitar playing is awesome...
13.01.2007 - 15:58
Purge
Account deleted
Hell, if this album isn't a 10, it's at least a 9.9! I've had it since just after release and still think it's one of the greatest albums i've ever heard, or ever will hear!
15.01.2007 - 02:56
DeadEternity
Account deleted
This s/t debut is definitely a masterpiece imo. I rarely find an album I like this much. The production is the best, or at least one of the best I've heard. It might be as close to a 10 as any other album I can think of. Hyvaarin's review nailed my thoughts on this really fantastic piece of work. It has great guitar work, blast beats, lyrics, and vocal styles, and it has a 'winter' atmosphere. This is an album I think MUST be listened to from the first note to last to truly be appreciated for what it is.
15.01.2007 - 04:26
Hyvaarin
Written by Guest on 15.01.2007 at 02:56

Hyvaarin's review nailed my thoughts on this really fantastic piece of work.

Awesome .
----
16.01.2007 - 13:35
Stigmatized

I have to agree. This is the album most overrated by so many people. Aside from "Beyond the Dark Sun" and "Death and the Healing", this album is pretty average.
17.01.2007 - 21:00
Baz Anderson
staff
after reading all these fantastic reviews and all the rest of it - i listened to the album expecting some kind of masterpiece or something like that, that would totally blow me away. but when i did get 'round to listening to it, i wasnt that impressed at all..
it has a couple of good songs on it but the whole album just didnt capture me.. there was nothing catchy on it at all
i like the Ensiferum stuff before this a lot lot more..
18.02.2007 - 12:40
Rating: 8
lenesu
God damnt it, how can you give a ten to this one? 10's must have epic albums, the ones that vave a cornerstone importance for metal, and wintersun hasn't done that yet. Either learn how to be fair with us all and put fair marks or dont review at all.
19.02.2007 - 04:17
Hyvaarin
Umm... dude, it's completely fair. I PERSONALLY can't find a fault with the album at all, and rated it accordingly. If you disagree, fair enough, but for christ's sake don't question the "integrity" of my review - every single fucking review anywhere is based of the reviewer's impression - this is no exception.
----
22.02.2007 - 08:33
Asat0r
Yeah man, if you don't like the review then write your own.
23.02.2007 - 16:17
orc001
Account deleted
i think this album is amazing and i cant wait for Time. I think i agree with Lenesu in saying 10s should be for epic albums. While i love it, i don't think that this album has dramatically changed metal or anything. Maybe a 9.5 though
23.02.2007 - 18:59
FOOCK Nam
One of my life's best albums.
25.03.2007 - 12:06
cruel pain
carpathian flame
a bit overrated but da albums quite good cant w8 for da next 1
01.05.2007 - 09:27
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Well I don't think it is really overrated, it just depends on what kind of metal you like. A lot of people like the Ensiferum stuff Jari did because they like the catchy folk like melodies and the folk lyrics. I love those, but I also like other ways of musical expression, especially something that comes from the the depth of someone's heart and mind. For example, Wintersun. Wintersun is melodic, epic, and, for me, a journey into the beyond. This s/t release is really amazing imo. I've had the cd for almost a year and out of the 150 or so cds i own, it is my favorite. Jari's song writing and lyrics are excellent on Wintersun. This album is really good and I'm looking forward to Time.
02.05.2007 - 01:31
Dectac
Account deleted

i totally agree with you, the album is great but overrated.
11.06.2007 - 05:14
doosh
Account deleted
i disagree with the people calling this review and album "over rated". this album, imo, is perfect. especially for its' genre. i can't even believe the insanity of the riffing. Wintersun is amazing.
24.06.2007 - 14:44
Warman
Erotic Stains
I too think this album deserves a perfect 10, very good review too.
----
25.06.2007 - 16:50
Abattoir
staff
Geat work.. Looking forward to next album
25.06.2007 - 17:14
RavenLord
To call this album 'Ensiferum with more blastbeats' is a ridiculous over-simplification. Ensiferum were never as progressive or as varied as Wintersun, and Wintersun are not as folk-ish as Ensiferum. They are completely different bands, and just because they share a guitarist/vocalist does not make them synonymous.

That said, I think a perfect 10 is a little too high for this album. It's one of my top 10 of all time, but I'd give it about a 9.5-9.8, because there are some naff moments (mainly in Starchild). It's almost 100% killer, though.
----

Hits total: 13108 | This month: 19