07. Smothered
08. Soundtrack To My Demise
09. Bed Of Bones
10. This Poison
11. Welcome The Darkness
12. Mind Crusher
13. Last Breath
14. Listen To The Snake [bonus]

Lazarus Complex is a fairly new project, hailing from the states, by sole member Jerry Wilde. With no goal other then to release his music for those who care, he already has put out two self-released full-lengths. And now, with "Listen To The Snake", a reference to Adam and Eve in Eden, the first compilation is out. With only two albums a compilation might seem a bit superflous, but since the full-lengths are very hard to obtain, there is an actual point to this comp.

Immediate eye-catcher of this album and band are the vocals. They fall in the vague and misty area of "love-or-hate". Their sound is warm, but also lethargic and -to naysayers- bored. Some might miss the cold, high-pitched yet passionate vocals of Solitude Aeturnus or Candlemass, but in my opinion, this works too. Perhaps less well, at times even weak, but variety of spice makes hungry. Once you are used to them, the feeling of lethargy will enroll you. Life is no longer worth living.

Black Sabbath receives worship and credit once again. Half of the riffs bear their trademark, heavy sound. Another doom band that seeps through is Saint Vitus, especially through the fuzzy distortion of the guitars. Besides these two giants of doom, the band that Lazarus Complex reminds me most of is Solitude Aeturnus. Very similar in atmosphere and style -besides the vocals-, but of course humbly following after a mile or two. Downside of this album is the unbalanced songwriting. Some songs are great, but others are dull and obviously less inspired.

Unfortunately, due to label issues, this compilation might be very hard to obtain. Shortly after the release of "Listen To The Snake", the label folded. There is of course still the magic world of MySpace, which features some songs and updates on the band's quest for a new label. Give them a listen and judge for yourself. This is only for those who care.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 26.03.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 13 users
02.04.2008 - 09:25
rohgue123
hmmm...i think the vocals suit the music pretty well, its different though but i like it
----
God has a hard-on for me.

Hits total: 4134 | This month: 14