05. Fire
06. Every Time
07. Emotune
08. More
09. Juliet
10. All Alone
11. Your Name
12. Bare Tree

Even if it's not the most famous band from Poland, Delight is already signed on the monster label Roadrunner Records. Maybe that you don't know them but "Breaking Ground" is already the fifth album of this combo leaded by the female singer Paulina Ma?lanka. Don't expect anything à la Nightwish here, Delight plays something which is Gothic and particularly near of the music of Lacuna Coil. Maybe that it's a bit Pop sometime that's right but "Breaking Ground" is not a bad album.

Definitely, the music of Delight is a bit similar to the one of Lacuna Coil. Between Dark Pop and Metal, "Breaking Ground" is a however a nice album of Gothic Metal. We don't have any male vocals here and only the voice of Paulina (which is not some kind of false symphonic vocals) in addition of some dark melodies and ambiances. This is dark definitely but not tortured too, don't worry, the choruses and riffs are well done and catchy but this is also really commercial and poppy? That's the main problem of "Breaking Ground", I cannot say that it's a bad release really but you must like modern Metal, female singers and really commercial tunes to enjoy this release. If you don't care about such points don't hesitate any more time to buy this CD, it's better than a lot of other "female metal bands" but if you cannot stand Lacuna Coil or Evanescence, just go away as soon as possible.

"Breaking Ground" is well recorded and I think that Delight is band which is composed of good musicians. The performance of Paulina Ma?lanka is really honorable and I like the fact that she sings with a normal voice. She doesn't try to do some kind of symphonic voices and that's a good thing, at least here, her voice is beautiful and not false. The recording of the release is really good too, this release is really professional and as I said earlier in this review, its only problem comes from the fact that it's really commercial.

"Breaking Ground" is a perfect album for all the people who use to listen to Gothic Metal a la Lacuna Coil. If you're looking for this kind of music, don't hesitate anymore time to buy this release which is full of good melodies and catchy songs. Ok, this is a bit Pop on a side but you know it now, just make your choice now.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 02.04.2008

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 55 users
02.04.2008 - 21:59
velvet

I really liked Delight in the days of 'eternity', but their later stuff has left me 'meh'. You're right about the similarity with Lacuna Coil on this album, I'd say steer clear or go for previous albums. Completely fair review
03.04.2008 - 03:32
Rating: 8
Jason W.
Razorbliss
I have found this album much more satisfying than the most recent Lacuna Coil CD, though yes it's not very adventurous and is instead commercially oriented. The first two tracks have the words "single" written all over them, but you know, they quickly made it to some mix CDs I made for driving In many ways, some of the songs remind me of another CD I really like, Tapping The Vein's "Damage," especially the slower tempo tracks. I just wished that the lyrics were more interesting, but they sound great with Paulina singing
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
08.04.2008 - 04:12
semmellitis

Although the music is very very commercial and a bit too simple at many times, I found myself listening to most of its songs over and over and. They surely try to approach a broader audience. I have already told some of my friends, who listen mostly to rock and 'light' metal. to listen to it and the feedback I got was very positive. For me 'Every Time' is a truly great song, followed by 'Emotune', 'In too deep' and 'Sleep with the light on', in this exact order :-)
15.02.2009 - 23:51
Ragana
Rawrcat
The review says the truth - you really must be an open-minded or just into modern and commercial metal (rock) music, otherwise it's worthless to get this album.
Personally I didn't know Delight before. Thought they are good and got this album. I must say I was very disappointed, because even I couldn't listen to most of these pop songs (yeah, the vocalist's weird style of singing made me think more about that). Of course, songs are pretty catchy and annoying at the meantime, but the good thing is that music in general is pretty qualitative and as I sort-of mentioned, there were few songs I like. For moments when I want something easy-listening and fairly whiny.

Hits total: 6054 | This month: 10