Metal Storm logo
The Mars Volta

Original post

Posted by Detric, 17.06.2006 - 18:44
Ive always known The Mars Volta, I just never gave them a second chance, cause I didnt like em at first. So decided to give them another chance, and I really liked it this time. But I have no albums by them, and ive only heard some of their songs like Inertiatic Esp, Roulette Dares, The Widow, Televators and some others I cant remeber, but I thought they were all pretty good! So is anyone into The Mars Volta? If so, what record should I start with, and which one is their best? I love how they combine alot of different genres into their music, rock, jazz, fusion, punk and many others, they are very talented.
02.12.2008 - 01:30
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
Cedrics lyrics are phenomenal. Did you know Bedlam in Goliath is a concept album? It's pretty sweet. It talks of Omars present to Cedric, an ancient ouija board from Islam. They conjured evil spirits and unfortunate events happened like their manager's breakdown and flooding of their studio. The music is supposed to send the spirits back to the realm. Either they believe in this stuff truly, or its a genius publicity stunt for their new album. Either way, its fucking awesome.
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
02.12.2008 - 03:58
I, The Quatropus

Written by benvolent on 01.12.2008 at 14:55

Written by I, The Quatropus on 27.11.2008 at 01:48

Cedric is actually the vocalist, Omar is the guitarist.

I knew, I'd mess that up!

It's all cool.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
02.12.2008 - 04:00
I, The Quatropus

Written by {aud}devil on 02.12.2008 at 01:30

Cedrics lyrics are phenomenal. Did you know Bedlam in Goliath is a concept album? It's pretty sweet. It talks of Omars present to Cedric, an ancient ouija board from Islam. They conjured evil spirits and unfortunate events happened like their manager's breakdown and flooding of their studio. The music is supposed to send the spirits back to the realm. Either they believe in this stuff truly, or its a genius publicity stunt for their new album. Either way, its fucking awesome.

I found the first one to have more meaning. Well, better meaning anyways. De-loused was written in response of a close friend of theirs being comatose. After he awoken, he told them all the strange stuff he pictured. Several weeks/months later, he ended up committing suicide (jumping off a 3-story building if I do remember).
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
09.02.2009 - 00:49
Omni
Account deleted
Written by I, The Quatropus on 25.11.2008 at 18:40

Written by Guest on 05.08.2007 at 12:14

Written by Throne of Rats on 10.03.2007 at 14:44

Frances The Mute is definatly the best. Anyone agree??

I'm not sure, for me FTM was the weakest album with De-loused being the strongest. But its been a while since I've listened to these guys properly. In fact, I'm gonna stick on FTM now and refresh my memory.

While all this is going on, i'll have to disagree. Of course De-loused was their strongest, but their weakest has to be The Bedlam In Goliath. I've never received such a headache in my life, I lost faith in them when they released that heap of shit.

Haha! This was before I heard The Bedlam in Goliath. I have now and I stand by what you've said. I've listened to it a couple of times now but it won't grow on me I know that. This band keeps going downhill. I probably won't pay attention to anything they put out now. Sigh.
09.02.2009 - 05:38
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I've never really heard this band before. What do they sound like? Who could they be compared to?
----
Coldgrits
18.02.2009 - 18:45
Detric
King Of Twilight
They sound like a perfect mix between progressive rock, jazz, fusion, latin, punk, pop & psychedelic music, and im not even close to get it right! They dont sound like any other band in the world, and therfor cant be compared to anything really. But thats just my opinion. One of my favourite bands of all time. Check out their Myspace.
08.03.2009 - 14:43
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
Not a lot of people like The Bedlam in Goliath, its true its no Deloused, but I still like it. I also like Amputechture while a lot of others don't either. If it wasn't for Omar producing the Bedlam in Goliath it might've actually sounded better. Its like he's taking his fingers and moving the tone keys to each instrument constantly and I can't stand that
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
20.04.2009 - 15:12
Detric
King Of Twilight
"Octahedron is the upcoming fifth studio album by American rock band The Mars Volta, set for release on June 23, 2009. The album is being released by Warner Bros. Records in North America and Mercury Records worldwide. The first U.S. single will be Since We've Been Wrong, and the first European single will be Cotopaxi."

Track listing:

1. Since We've Been Wrong - 4:14
2. Teflon - 2:50
3. Halo of Nembutals - 11:13
4. With Twilight as My Guide - 6:48
5. Cotopaxi - 3:50
6. Desperate Graves - 5:31
7. Copernicus - 6:12
8. Luciforms - 10:28
20.12.2009 - 19:03
the stranger

Written by {aud}devil on 08.03.2009 at 14:43

Not a lot of people like The Bedlam in Goliath, its true its no Deloused, but I still like it. I also like Amputechture while a lot of others don't either. If it wasn't for Omar producing the Bedlam in Goliath it might've actually sounded better. Its like he's taking his fingers and moving the tone keys to each instrument constantly and I can't stand that

The Bedlam In Goliath is ok, has it's moments. Haven't heard Amputhecture though, and by the rating people have given it, sure it seems like the weakest release.
27.02.2010 - 14:06
Entropic Silence

Love these guys, although I've only heard De-loused and Goliath. Prefer the former, but love the latter nonetheless. Saw them at the Big Day Out recently and they were phenomenal. They opened with Inertiatic, played Goliath and Cicatriz (yes all twelve odd minutes it was ingenious) and closed with Roulette Dares. they played some other stuff in between. Best act of the festival.

Also, re Bedlam in Goliath conept, I'm a bit sceptical. I read that around the same time that they threw away the ouija board they quit drugs. Just strikes me that them realising that an oiuja board was no longer in control of their lives coincided with them no longe rusing hallucinogenics...

Amazing band. Seriously.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
27.02.2010 - 21:25
Detric
King Of Twilight
Go listen to Frances The Mute. One of best albums ever made.
02.03.2010 - 22:33
the stranger

Written by Entropic Silence on 27.02.2010 at 14:06

Love these guys, although I've only heard De-loused and Goliath. Prefer the former, but love the latter nonetheless. Saw them at the Big Day Out recently and they were phenomenal. They opened with Inertiatic, played Goliath and Cicatriz (yes all twelve odd minutes it was ingenious) and closed with Roulette Dares. they played some other stuff in between. Best act of the festival.

Also, re Bedlam in Goliath conept, I'm a bit sceptical. I read that around the same time that they threw away the ouija board they quit drugs. Just strikes me that them realising that an oiuja board was no longer in control of their lives coincided with them no longe rusing hallucinogenics...

Amazing band. Seriously.

They quit the drugs? I think that's even more amazing than the music they write.
08.03.2010 - 04:07
Sick Girl

I recently learned about this band through a band. And honestly, I was sooooo amazed with them! It's such different and unique music. It's kinda like a combination of Led Zeppelin and Coheed and Cambria, but with a more unique twist.
08.03.2010 - 08:48
Detric
King Of Twilight
Totally agree.
22.06.2010 - 12:36
Fëanor

Great band. Though I'm suprised to find the thread in the alternative metal forum as opposed to the rock/general music forums. No matter.

They seem to keep the music fairly fresh, and although to me Deloused can't be topped (it flows so perfectly from start to finish), I really like the last release, Octahedron. Goliath is ok but I find it's their weakest effort. Frances and Amputecture are groovy as all hell.

Only disappointment I have with the band is their live performance. To me, at least, they are a studio band. They may yet change my mind one day, I'd go see them again if they were headlining.
----
~Everything we think we know is merely a guess, and every thought process is a theory in progress.~

I'm not insane - I'm just smarter than you!
22.06.2010 - 21:11
Detric
King Of Twilight
I was a bit disappointed with Octahedron.. Its like something was missing. Its actually more a pop album than a rock album, and that dosent matter, but it seemed like they lost a little of their energy. I really miss the long songs, like they had on rest of their albums. But its still a good album I think. I hope they will release that DVD soon... They have been talking about that for a long time now..