Metal Storm logo
The Mars Volta

Original post

Posted by Detric, 17.06.2006 - 18:44
Ive always known The Mars Volta, I just never gave them a second chance, cause I didnt like em at first. So decided to give them another chance, and I really liked it this time. But I have no albums by them, and ive only heard some of their songs like Inertiatic Esp, Roulette Dares, The Widow, Televators and some others I cant remeber, but I thought they were all pretty good! So is anyone into The Mars Volta? If so, what record should I start with, and which one is their best? I love how they combine alot of different genres into their music, rock, jazz, fusion, punk and many others, they are very talented.
10.03.2007 - 08:21
Icewings
La Luna
Baby I defenectly agree with you , I enjoy their combinations a lot , and I think this music is really wonderful , like I was saying in another thread all music is is connected and when you do the blending is like really understanding music ... so I think they are great musicians ....
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
10.03.2007 - 14:44
Throne of Rats
Frances The Mute is definatly the best. Anyone agree??
----
Burning Crosses, Invoke the Powers, Rape the Crown, Hell Awaits!!
03.07.2007 - 08:08
Dan066
Account deleted
Written by Stigmatized on 21.06.2006 at 01:46

I borrowed De-loused in the Comatorium from a friend, due to the Guitar World poll that said Mars Volta's guitar player and Alexi Laiho were future legends. I didn't like what I heard, too trippy and TOO alternative for me.

try listneing to Frances the mute, it's a whole lot better.
03.07.2007 - 20:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 03.07.2007 at 08:08

I borrowed De-loused in the Comatorium from a friend, due to the Guitar World poll that said Mars Volta's guitar player and Alexi Laiho were future legends. I didn't like what I heard, too trippy and TOO alternative for me.

But if he already finds De-loused in the Comatorium too trippy he will sure as hell have even more problems with Frances the Mute cause that one is way more trippy.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.07.2007 - 06:26
Dan066
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.07.2007 at 20:27

Written by Guest on 03.07.2007 at 08:08

But if he already finds De-loused in the Comatorium too trippy he will sure as hell have even more problems with Frances the Mute cause that one is way more trippy.

yeah, but he also said too Alternative, so maybe he'll be more interested in FTM.
05.08.2007 - 12:14
Omni
Account deleted
Written by Throne of Rats on 10.03.2007 at 14:44

I'm not sure, for me FTM was the weakest album with De-loused being the strongest. But its been a while since I've listened to these guys properly. In fact, I'm gonna stick on FTM now and refresh my memory.
02.11.2007 - 11:44
Fuath
I loved them from the first time i heard them, to me all their albums would have to be my favourite
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

03.11.2007 - 21:43
Bitch Boy
Is it me or The Mars Volta is not metal (not even alternative metal)?? I think that this topic should go to the Rock Forum.

The Mars Volta... there was a time in the past I used to dislike their music, but it was a couple of months ago I became interested in their music. They are not that bad.
03.12.2007 - 18:13
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
I got to know a couple of weeks back that Theodore did the drum parts for this song. I should have been suspicious about it or something because it kind of lets itself known since Theodore's style of drumming is very peculiar and recognizable, even within this song.
----
Christless
27.12.2007 - 02:29
Damnated
Churchburner
i've been dismissing this band for years now, mostly because the vocals annoyed me. i mean they used to annoy me. but i randomly stumbled upon them 20 minutes ago, and i'm just loving De-Loused in the Comatorium atm. i love how they mix Led Zep and Jimi. i really need to dig into this band now
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
27.12.2007 - 02:40
Sonic MrSumo
Written by Damnated on 27.12.2007 at 02:29

and i'm just loving De-Loused in the Comatorium atm. i love how they mix Led Zep and Jimi. i really need to dig into this band now

that is a sensational album!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
27.12.2007 - 02:42
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 27.12.2007 at 02:40

damn tripy too. i've been searching for this stuff for ages. and it has been right under my nose..
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
27.12.2007 - 02:59
Sonic MrSumo
Written by Damnated on 27.12.2007 at 02:42

Written by Sonic MrSumo on 27.12.2007 at 02:40

damn tripy too. i've been searching for this stuff for ages. and it has been right under my nose..

have you listened to Frances The Mute? i don't like that one as much...
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
27.12.2007 - 04:16
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 27.12.2007 at 02:59

have you listened to Frances The Mute? i don't like that one as much...

i'm yet to hear their other albums, but i'll listen to all of them, i'm sure.
----

27.12.2007 - 17:49
The Soothsayer
Account deleted
I know this has probably been said plenty of times in this thread already, but why is this in the metal forums? The Mars Volta is a progressive rock band. I do like them a lot, don't get me wrong, but aside from the fact that they are influenced by some progressive metal bands, calling them metal is a giant overstatement.
04.01.2008 - 00:16
Cerpin Taxt
Account deleted
Asilos Magdalena is far too the best song...
04.01.2008 - 00:29
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
What do you all think about the weird spooky story on the new album? It personally sounded like a big joke to me.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
06.01.2008 - 08:08
deadset61
Account deleted
Frances the Mute is pretty kick ass and so is De-loused in the Comatorium. You could possible like the band At The Drive In too they ahve some people from the Mars Volta and they are pretty much the same type of music.
01.02.2008 - 18:43
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well, since the new album is out, I was just wondering if anyone has heard the full thing and what do they think?
----
The force will be with you, always.
05.07.2008 - 23:49
Detric
King Of Twilight
The Bedlam In Goliath anyone? This band just keeps getting better and better. I actually love all their albums. Amazing band.
06.07.2008 - 00:16
Detric
King Of Twilight
Actually when I think about it, TMV would fit more in the Rock forum. I dont know if a moderator would be so nice and move this thread to the Rock forum?
18.07.2008 - 18:37
Candlemass
Defaeco
From aesthetics point of view, they don't speak to me at all.
25.11.2008 - 18:40
Written by Guest on 05.08.2007 at 12:14

Written by Throne of Rats on 10.03.2007 at 14:44

I'm not sure, for me FTM was the weakest album with De-loused being the strongest. But its been a while since I've listened to these guys properly. In fact, I'm gonna stick on FTM now and refresh my memory.

While all this is going on, i'll have to disagree. Of course De-loused was their strongest, but their weakest has to be The Bedlam In Goliath. I've never received such a headache in my life, I lost faith in them when they released that heap of shit.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
25.11.2008 - 18:46
Written by Guest on 06.01.2008 at 08:08

Frances the Mute is pretty kick ass and so is De-loused in the Comatorium. You could possible like the band At The Drive In too they ahve some people from the Mars Volta and they are pretty much the same type of music.

Geez, that's an somewhat old band. Way too epic for their time, honestly. When they broke up, Omar, Cedric, and Paul went on to form TMV, while Jim and Tony went on to form Sparta.
----
25.11.2008 - 20:06
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Guest on 06.01.2008 at 08:08

Damn, I don't know... I like some Mars Volta but At The Drive-In is just too core for me. I prefer the proggy side of things, although not the birds-chirping-for-20-minutes prog type stuff. xD
25.11.2008 - 21:59
Elio
Red Nightmare
Wow a thread about The Mars Volta!
I've recently discovered this band and I have to disagree about The Bedlam In Goliath, which I consider a very good album. I have still to listen FTM though.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
26.11.2008 - 01:59
Written by Elio on 25.11.2008 at 21:59

Wow a thread about The Mars Volta!
I've recently discovered this band and I have to disagree about The Bedlam In Goliath, which I consider a very good album. I have still to listen FTM though.

Personally, they were best from Tremulant EP to Frances The Mute. You could tell they started to change during FTM, and in Amputechture, you heard it completely. Why De-loused remains to be such an amazing album is that if you look at producers, Omar Rodriguez-Lopes has been solo producing on every single one by themselves except De-loused for they had Rick Ruben help produce.
----
27.11.2008 - 00:59
benvolent
Amazing band! I hope to see them live some time!

For me 'De-loused in the Comatorium' was the strongest release, while imo from 'Frances the Mute' they exaggerated a bit with all this experimantal-'oh, I forgot to turn off the amplifier, and now, that I drink some coffee my guitar fell and makes this weird noise'-stuff.

I also listened to At the Drive-in and liked it pretty much, but, hey, no way to compare them with TMV(whoever did that)! Well, the same voice and Cedrics unique guitar style, but...no!
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
27.11.2008 - 01:48
Written by benvolent on 27.11.2008 at 00:59

Amazing band! I hope to see them live some time!

For me 'De-loused in the Comatorium' was the strongest release, while imo from 'Frances the Mute' they exaggerated a bit with all this experimantal-'oh, I forgot to turn off the amplifier, and now, that I drink some coffee my guitar fell and makes this weird noise'-stuff.

I also listened to At the Drive-in and liked it pretty much, but, hey, no way to compare them with TMV(whoever did that)! Well, the same voice and Cedrics unique guitar style, but...no!

Cedric is actually the vocalist, Omar is the guitarist.
----
01.12.2008 - 14:55
benvolent
Written by I, The Quatropus on 27.11.2008 at 01:48

Cedric is actually the vocalist, Omar is the guitarist.

I knew, I'd mess that up!
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles