04. End Of Days
05. The Elemental
06. Your Dirge
07. Riot Within
08. Birds In A Rat Race
09. Better Days
10. A Spell To Block The Sun
11. Angelic

It's great to see that Mountain Mirrors is still an active band. Back in 2006 is wrote a review about the second release of this "single man" project from USA. The album was a lovely release of sad and melancholic acoustic Metal; it was really good and promising for the future of this combo. The new album "Dreadnought" follows this way and I have the feeling that Mountain Mirror is more mature now, honestly I can tell you that this band is improving and I believe (really) that some labels and people should have a look on it.

To describe the music of Mountain Mirrors, I will only give you some names and I'm sure that you'll understand: Porcupine Tree, Blackfiel, Opeth (Damnation mode) and Katationia (new). As you can understand now, Mountain Mirrors plays some kind of Progressive melancholic acoustic Rock/Metal. It's perfectly done and really emotive, really Jeff Sanders doesn't have to be ashamed of any comparison with the names that I gave to you earlier in this review. His music is really beautiful, catchy and really deep. The lyrics of this new album are intelligent and well written, seriously if you like to listen to emotive music and Progressive dark music, "Dreadnought" is highly recommended. This is never pompous but really direct, though "Dreadnought" is not an easy of access album, and you really have to love Prog and acoustic tunes to fully enjoy it.

The production of "Dreadnought" is really better than the one of the previous release. I regret however that Jeff Sanders doesn't have the possibility to work with a big studio because sometime without being bad, the sound is a bit weak (but better than before for sure?). Despite this little negative point (which is not so negative actually?) it's hard to find anything wrong on this album. Maybe that it's just a bit short (only 35 mins) for a release which wanna be Progressive but one more time this is just some a detail?

"Dreadnought" is a really nice confirmation. Mountain Mirrors is an original combo and I'm sure that the fans of Progressive Metal/Rock will be surprised by this last release. If you use to listen to dark Prog don't miss this classy album. Let's hope now that a label will sign this band, Jeff Sanders deserves it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 08.04.2008

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 33 users
09.04.2008 - 17:52
Rating: 8
Lone Reaper

Interesting...
09.04.2008 - 23:59
Rating: 9
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Hoo I wanted to post that before and I forgot to do it! (thx to Jeff Sanders )

The album is can be downloaded for free here (in 128k)!!!. If you like it spread some words about it and buy the original CD!

http://www.mountainmirrors.com/dl/DreadnoughtPromo.rar

Enjoy
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!

Hits total: 5487 | This month: 1