05. Everything
06. From Far Away
07. Painful But True
08. Only God
09. You Are My Shelter
10. A.E.A.
11. From My Heart
12. Tear Apart

The possibilities of combination in Heavy Metal are proven to be endless, I found the most interesting those that combine folkloric elements of certain country/culture and mix them with Heavy Metal, any kind of it (Black Metal, Death Metal, Power Metal etc)

Our next guest here in Metal Storm are full of it. And for that, I mean that they have Folk influences of cultures such as the Hindu and the Gypsies , that of course, mixed with a healthy dose of Trash Metal and Death Metal, with Hardcore outbursts.
After the Gypsy music intro "I Know Them" kicks in, and the first thing you think of is Max Cavalera, and his 2 creations, Sepultura and Soulfly, the growly vocals reminds me of him a lot, and this band has tribal sounds like both of the aftermentioned bands.

I'm not such a big fan of Hardcore or Metalcore music, but I do find interesting the thing that Ektomorf is trying to do, sadly not all tacks contain those tribal and folk sounds, there are more straight songs like "No Compromise" and "A.E.A.", but the real killers here are the ones with the tribal sounds, like "Gypsy", this one begins like a normal song, but towards the end a gypsy chant begins it's melodious yet mesmerizing chant. "From Far Away" begins with some sitars playing evoking images of some forgotten culture, the good thing is that the sitar undertones maintain throughout the song. "You Are My Shelter" is another great song with an Arabic taste, while "From My Heart" is a marvelous instrumental song, full of acoustics and tribal chants.

I don't know how's the typical music in these guys homeland (they hail from Hungary), and I don't know how come they came up with the idea of using those foreign influences in their music either. Never listened any of their previous albums (this is the fifth one), but maybe I'll try to get my hands on one of those.
If they have given those tribal elements more importance in their songs this would be a much interesting album, that's for sure, because the thing they were trying to do here is attractive, but since I'm not a big fan of Metalcore, some of the songs were completely uninteresting for me. Anyway, nice try from these Hungarian Metalheads, let's see how their sixth album turns out to be.

Written by Undercraft | 18.03.2004

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 38 users
12.04.2008 - 06:45
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
''If they have given those tribal elements more importance in their songs this would be a much interesting album...'' could'nt i agree more. If they really have given the tribal parts more importance than the hardcore shit this album would be a lot better. They should've keep the same spirit of Kalyl Jag, their best work.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 5725 | This month: 5