Metal Storm logo
Theme (metal) albums

Original post

Posted by Immortalist, 18.06.2006 - 14:15
There might have been a similar thread in the old forums, I am not sure but anyway let's start this up now.

Basically, I am looking for recommendations and discussion about theme albums made by metal artists. For example, Arjen Anthony Lucassen's Star One is a science-fiction styled progressive/heavy metal group that released two albums. Or another one, Desperados and Dezperadoz, (that are actually the reason for me to start this thread, thanks to Varoth for recommending them in the first place) are a side-project of Tom Angelripper + Alex Kraft playing western/country-influenced metal.

I think that these styles give a lot of variety to musicians' normal style and other musical styles have a lot of strong melodies that can be used in metal this way too. I mainly prefer more melodic stuff, and the bands I am looking for should actually be mixing the particular style with metal, not just using it in the background (lyrics, make-up etc..).

Thanks in advance.

edit:

Shortly: I am personally looking for recommendations of the field of theme albums that use those themes musically, not just in lyrics and/or background stories. However, since I am not able to edit the topic title this discussion is free for all kinds of concept albums now.
10.04.2008 - 10:11
FOOCK Nam

Written by Bad English on 10.04.2008 at 09:57

Written by FOOCK Nam on 10.04.2008 at 09:26

Pain Of Salvation, every album has its own theme or interconnected.

and thay all are so boaring man, realy

Same what I think, I suggest them here 'cause just knowing they wrote concept album. But for music, I dont feel eager much to them. But you know, they are progressive cult band in my country scene of metalheads.
12.10.2009 - 03:41
ToMegaTherion

King Diamonds work always has a theme. But there are others too. So here goes a top 5 list in no particular order
King Diamond - Abigail
King Diamond - The Puppet Master
King Diamond - Give Me Your Soul... Please
Iced Earth - The Dark Saga
Iced Earth - Something Wicked albums (Framing Armageddon/ The Crucible of Man) Two excellent albums linked by the same theme.