Metal Storm logo
Theme (metal) albums

Original post

Posted by Immortalist, 18.06.2006 - 14:15
There might have been a similar thread in the old forums, I am not sure but anyway let's start this up now.

Basically, I am looking for recommendations and discussion about theme albums made by metal artists. For example, Arjen Anthony Lucassen's Star One is a science-fiction styled progressive/heavy metal group that released two albums. Or another one, Desperados and Dezperadoz, (that are actually the reason for me to start this thread, thanks to Varoth for recommending them in the first place) are a side-project of Tom Angelripper + Alex Kraft playing western/country-influenced metal.

I think that these styles give a lot of variety to musicians' normal style and other musical styles have a lot of strong melodies that can be used in metal this way too. I mainly prefer more melodic stuff, and the bands I am looking for should actually be mixing the particular style with metal, not just using it in the background (lyrics, make-up etc..).

Thanks in advance.

edit:

Shortly: I am personally looking for recommendations of the field of theme albums that use those themes musically, not just in lyrics and/or background stories. However, since I am not able to edit the topic title this discussion is free for all kinds of concept albums now.
30.06.2006 - 23:49
Semíramis*
anything from Rhapsody of course, they are classic
----
<..celass abdala rahin asnufar..kahib infehila a mort di kain..>
01.07.2006 - 09:09
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by Semíramis* on 30.06.2006 at 23:49

anything from Rhapsody of course, they are classic

And Luca Turilli's albums, don't forget !:)
02.07.2006 - 00:28
Semíramis*
yeah, Luca Turilli's albums too
From Cradle of Filth you have Cruelty and the Beast, that portraits Elizabeth Bathory's life....and Damnation and a day, that is just like Mabool from Orphaned Land but it is more based on the apocalipse
----
<..celass abdala rahin asnufar..kahib infehila a mort di kain..>
02.07.2006 - 03:12
Alfo
Account deleted
Blind Guardian have a tolkien theme through all their album but Nightfall in Middle-Earth in especially concentrated on the Silmarilion - book from Tolkien.

There is also Amon Amarth, their viking theme is also something really interesting
03.07.2006 - 00:17
Revenant
Account deleted
Amon Amarth, Tyr and Enslaved DONT have a viking theme in the music, just the lyrics

Most bands in the folk metal genre DO
12.07.2006 - 21:03
Darryl/2112
Account deleted
i always thought RUSH did it well with 2112 ,Hemipheres,Caress of Steel and Farewell to Kings.
01.08.2006 - 23:44
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Nobody post yet the Glorius Burden?

Glorious Burden
Artist: Iced Earth

This contain the most patriotic Epic Trilogy Called Gettysburg (1863) and it talks about the three days of combat between north and south,an emotive trilogy, an emotive album also (very patriotic, Declaration Day, the reckning, when the eagle cries, Valley Forge). My favorite of Iced Earth...or:

Horror Show

This is about Monsters and legends, as the title name is an horror show, nothing epic (well Dracula could be, or Im Ho Tep) but is a very well done album, my second favorite from this band.
02.08.2006 - 00:27
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
You can also try the White Skull Albums or Domine ones.

The firts band have theme albums (well, i only have two of them, but are amazing)

1.Tales From the North (about vikings, with Chris Boltendahl as guest musician)
2.Public Glory, Secret Agony (about Roman Empire)

Domine have also great themes from the michale moorcocl books!
30.08.2006 - 06:09
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
I think most good albums follow a theme of some sort. Some more subtile than others. Most Iced Earth albums follow a them... Same with Kamelot esspecially Epica/Black Halo. Epica as well follow themes. On each of their albums. Basically every BM album has a theme... Satyricon - Nemisis Devine is an obvious 1. Dream Theater do many theme based albums... my favorite is Scenes From a Memory.
03.12.2006 - 18:01
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, Dream theaters "Metropolis part 2, scenes from a memory" is a concept album that deals with a man who commited a murder and has to learn to deal with his guilt and try to redeem himself.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
04.12.2006 - 16:23
villain
Hlidskalf - Burzum
Its related to Norse mythology. Its a soundtrack kind of a album. A good one.
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
06.12.2006 - 10:16
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Are we talking like concept albums here?

Cus not many people know that the newest Belphegor album (Pestapokalypse VI) is a concept album about pestilence, satan (of course), and above all the apocalypse. good album.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
08.12.2006 - 18:29
Syrack
Account deleted
Melechesh, it is a black metal based on mesopotamian native music. the lyrics are mesopotamian history and mythology.
Ancient rites - Rvbicon (2006) - mostly about the Roman empire, marches, keyboards ...
Tenhi, I have heard only Maaaet from this finnish folk doom, interesting, but it's not really metal.
and metal with celtic folk like Cruachan, Eluveitie and maybe Primordial (The gathering wilderness is awesome)....
13.06.2007 - 09:06
villain
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal /The Madrigal Of The Night: Eight Hymnes To The Wolf In Man

Its all about the wolf, the man and the night. Its a blast of RAW black metal throughout the way. I don't think its that catchy but it grows on you.
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
13.06.2007 - 12:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by villain on 04.12.2006 at 16:23

Hlidskalf - Burzum
Its related to Norse mythology. Its a soundtrack kind of a album. A good one.

then all bathory albums can be such type too

and early Blind Guardian(Nigtfall....) ist all about Tolkein storiues and such thinks even that thema are overated but BG made good stories/songs
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.06.2007 - 20:26
RavenLord
Summoning have a very strong Tolkien theme throughout their music, lyrics and artwork, moreso than Blind Guardian.

Also, try and pick up Sabbat's 'Dreamweaver - Reflection of our Yesterdays' if you can. Read the lyrics along with the music, and you'll never look at another concept album the same way.

Obviously, lots of Folk/Black/Viking bands from Scandinavia and Finland have strong themes running through their works; of nationalism, Wotanism etc. Try Amon Amarth for good Viking lyrics, or Moonsorrow. Finntroll are good for a laugh, as well.
----
14.06.2007 - 18:34
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Arian Totalis on 03.12.2006 at 18:01

Well, Dream theaters "Metropolis part 2, scenes from a memory" is a concept album that deals with a man who commited a murder and has to learn to deal with his guilt and try to redeem himself.

Huh? According to Wikipedia it's about Nicholas who share the same soul as the murdered Victoria. Victoria then takes contact with Nicholas in his dreams and wants him too reveal the truth about her murder. Nicholas wasn't the one who murdered Victoria, it was "The Miracle" (and the Hypnotherapist is the reincarnation of The Miracle).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_Pt._2:_Scenes_from_a_Memory
----
14.06.2007 - 19:54
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Warman on 14.06.2007 at 18:34

Written by Arian Totalis on 03.12.2006 at 18:01

Huh? According to Wikipedia it's about Nicholas who share the same soul as the murdered Victoria. Victoria then takes contact with Nicholas in his dreams and wants him too reveal the truth about her murder. Nicholas wasn't the one who murdered Victoria, it was "The Miracle" (and the Hypnotherapist is the reincarnation of The Miracle).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_Pt._2:_Scenes_from_a_Memory

lol, ok sorry, my mistake.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
14.06.2007 - 23:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by RavenLord on 13.06.2007 at 20:26

Obviously, lots of Folk/Black/Viking bands from Scandinavia and Finland have strong themes running through their works; of nationalism, Wotanism etc. Try Amon Amarth for good Viking lyrics, or Moonsorrow. Finntroll are good for a laugh, as well.

But thay had lyrics about vikng thema but ewery album has viking theme, but there are not like one album for example about Egil, or Eric, next about for example Vikinh ships in western seas or vineland so I woud not say those are 'real' theme' albums
----

apos;'
[image]
15.06.2007 - 04:25
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Well seeing as the thread creator wanted people to name BANDS that contain a certain theme, i will name these, there is already a thread about concept and themed albums.

Ones that come to my mind are:

Lost Horizon - Both albums are related to the movies Highlander 1 & 2, their name was actually called Highlander until they changed it.

King Diamond - King is quite famous in the Metal scene for creating horror thrilling albums both musically and lyrically. On every album he never fails to add a touch of humour to these nightmarish tales.

Edenbridge - Although Edenbridge are not strictly themed, they are one of those bands that create the same atmosphere from every album, everything is calm and beautiful. Not even Nightwish are like this.
03.04.2008 - 17:19
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth, based on J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion
Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli.

EDIT: Also Falconer - Sceptre Of Deception
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
05.04.2008 - 01:00
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Turisas - The Varangian Way
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
05.04.2008 - 02:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Opeth - Still Life

Is a very nice concept album.
It's about a guy back on the old days [maybe medieval age or something]
and he is in love with a girl [Melinda] but since he is ateist... he must leave the town and never return.
He returned after 15 years and wanted to search his love... when He found her, She was a nun.

The guy try to talk to her and want her to come with him to another place and blablabla
A very good story... and the end kick ass.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.04.2008 - 02:21
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Vinnie R. on 01.08.2006 at 23:44

Nobody post yet the Glorius Burden?

Glorious Burden

This contain the most patriotic Epic Trilogy Called Gettysburg (1863) and it talks about the three days of combat between north and south,an emotive trilogy, an emotive album also (very patriotic, Declaration Day, the reckning, when the eagle cries, Valley Forge). My favorite of Iced Earth...or:

Horror Show

This is about Monsters and legends, as the title name is an horror show, nothing epic (well Dracula could be, or Im Ho Tep) but is a very well done album, my second favorite from this band.

Strangely enough those are the only 2 Iced Earth albums I could really get into. I loved the Glorious Burden, I dont understand why so many people dislike it?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.04.2008 - 17:59
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Hmm.. How come nobody mentioned Iced Earth's "Dark Saga", based on Spawn comic??
----
07.04.2008 - 07:43
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Written by Stalker on 06.04.2008 at 17:59

Hmm.. How come nobody mentioned Iced Earth's "Dark Saga", based on Spawn comic??

How can i forget that one?! That's an amazing disc! Oh specially "I Died for you" that's a very sad song!
08.04.2008 - 22:23
selken
Irreligious
What about Ayreon?
this dude has many great ideas for composing concept albums, my fav is The Human Equation.
----
09.04.2008 - 05:38
Metal_Militia
//Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche is the best for me. Then Still Life by Opeth is theme based. I would say Scenes From A Memory by Dream Theater but i think everyone has covered that one for me//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

10.04.2008 - 09:26
FOOCK Nam
Pain Of Salvation, every album has its own theme or interconnected.
10.04.2008 - 09:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by FOOCK Nam on 10.04.2008 at 09:26

Pain Of Salvation, every album has its own theme or interconnected.

and thay all are so boaring man, realy
----

apos;'
[image]