10. Heeding The Call [rehearsal demo 1998]
11. Let The Hammer Fall [rehearsal demo 1998]
12. Warriors Of Faith [rehearsal demo 1998]
13. Back To Back [rehearsal demo 1998] [Pretty Maids cover]
14. At The End Of The Rainbow [rehearsal demo 1998]
15. Dreamland [rehearsal demo 1998]

Disc III [DVD][20 Year Anniversary Edition bonus]
01. Legacy Of Kings - Interview 2018
02. Heeding The Call [Live at Park Avenue, Jan. 19th 1999, Shure Endorsement Party]
03. The Metal Age [Live at Park Avenue, Jan. 19th 1999, Shure Endorsement Party]
04. Let The Hammer Fall [Live at Park Avenue, Jan. 19th 1999, Shure Endorsement Party]
05. Steel Meets Steel [Live at Park Avenue, Jan. 19th 1999, Shure Endorsement Party]
06. Breaking The Law [Judas Priest cover] [Live at Park Avenue, Jan. 19th 1999, Shure Endorsement Party]
07. Shure Endorsement Ceremony
08. Listening Session
09. German TV Advertisement
10. Releaseparty For Legacy Of Kings
11. Head Over Heels [Accept cover]
12. Balls To The Wall [Accept cover]
13. Breaking The Law [Judas Priest cover]
14. Outtakes And Sign Off
15. I Want Out [Helloween cover] [Live at Hansen Studios]
16. Unchained [Live In Switzerland]
17. Legacy Of Kings [Live in The U.S.A.]
18. Remember Yesterday [Live in Japan]
19. Warriors Of Faith [Live in Chile]
20. Let The Hammer Fall [Live in Sweden]
21. I Believe [Live in Sweden]
22. Breaking The Law [Judas Priest cover] [composite video]

With 1998's 'Legacy Of Kings', Hammerfall brought absolutely nothing new to the large and intimidating table of Heavy Metal. Still, this is a great album and it deserves some respect. This is far from a master-work, mind you, but it is Hammerfall's best so far. If they could write another one like this again (the only other that came close after was Crimson Thunder, in my opinion) then I just might have to get back into this band.

I think just about my favorite part of the album is the beginning of 'Heeding The Call'. The drums sound then the guitars kick in and blow your mind. It is absolutely great. Within one minute of listening I knew this was going to be a very good metal release. The guitars have great distortion and chunk. They are well played, and the arrangements are just fine. The only thing that annoyed me was the vocalist, as he sounded a little too high and sissy sounding for me, but after hearing the album at least three times I grew used to it and now I enjoy it.

Highlights on the album for me include 'Heeding The Call', the title track, 'Let The Hammer Fall', 'Remember Yesterday', 'Back To Back', and the soft album closer, 'The Fallen One'. I would have actually liked it if the latter was in the middle of the album and a heavier track was chosen to close, but hey, that's just me.

Again, there isn't anything very new or stand-out about this album. Its just a very good, guitar-crunchy Power Metal album that some people should look into. It's great fun.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by | 29.09.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 129 users
13.04.2008 - 11:02
Rating: 10
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
very good review
and why regenade didnt come to your mind...it is much better than crimson
29.08.2010 - 18:05
Rating: 9
treptolemus
aphotic_zoning
That's one of my favorite albums. I like the guitar parts a lot. Great fun, as you mentioned the band at their prime, and full of energy.
----
\m/etalstor\m/
24.10.2010 - 16:06
Mountain King
K i K o
I think dreamland is the best song on the album. Such a great one...
16.05.2011 - 23:37
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Good review. The vocals are exactly like you mentioned, but they get much better.
16.05.2011 - 23:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Great review, and pretty much what I think of the album myself. Hammerfall have yet to make an album where I've liked every song on it, as even their best albums have a couple of fillers on them. And I actually agree about "Crimson Thunder" being a very good album as well. "Legacy Of Kings" is definitely one of their best, as there are a few great songs on it, and only a small amount of filler. The album starts to lose it's legs during the 2nd half of it, but every song up till and including, "At The End Of The Rainbow" is great stuff! xD
05.06.2012 - 18:20
Infernal Eternal

Hammerfall's best.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
25.10.2013 - 14:51
Rating: 6
Supernaut

A huge drop in quality from the first album. The songs are not as good - I guess these were the leftovers, as the original drummer still has composing credits on most songs. Secondly, only the singer and rhythm guitarist remained from the first album, and the new guys are less credible and together. I dunno - are the live albums more ballsy? - else I say stick to the debut.
04.05.2017 - 18:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Supernaut on 25.10.2013 at 14:51

A huge drop in quality from the first album. The songs are not as good - I guess these were the leftovers, as the original drummer still has composing credits on most songs. Secondly, only the singer and rhythm guitarist remained from the first album, and the new guys are less credible and together. I dunno - are the live albums more ballsy? - else I say stick to the debut.

I have to agree about it but I don't say drop, I say more going to PM not HM way what is bad it self
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 8230 | This month: 11