Metal Storm logo
Most depressive metal ballads

18.06.2006 - 14:19
Valentin B
Iconoclast
well, a topic where you can post which are, in your opinion, the most depressive, tearbringing ballads.
I'll say that "Glory to the brave" by hammerfall, and (though it's not actually a ballad), Ghost love score by Nightwish are really depressive songs.
18.06.2006 - 14:34
CrematorY
Account deleted
Sentenced has a very emotional song which is depressive but i kind of like it even though it makes me feel down... i dont know... there is just something in that song its called Mourn. Wonderful Music!!!
18.06.2006 - 14:43
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Opeth-The Drapery Falls.

Not really a tear-jerker, but goddamn depressive and the best (read, most depressive) singtitle ever. There is only one that comes close to such my depressiveness and that is Anal Cunt's I sold your dog to a chinese restaurant
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
19.06.2006 - 01:53
Daru Jericho
I don't know if it counts as a ballad as such (could be though) but what about My Dying Bride's 'For My Fallen Angel'? It was the first MDB song I heard and I'll say what the person said to me when explaining this track: "It sounds like the vocalist's bride is actually dying."
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

19.06.2006 - 08:39
Aresius
Account deleted

In my opinion, these are a little depressive

Iron Maiden
Remember Tomorrow, Strange World, Journeyman, The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, No More Lies, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Childhood's End, Phantom of the Opera, Prodigal Son, No Prayer for the Dying, Revelations, The Evil That Men Do, The Prophecy, 2 A.M, Gangland, Como Estais Amigos, Virus, etc...

Joe Satriani - I Believe
HammerFall - Always Will Be, Imperial, Never Ever
Bruce Dickinson - Tears of the Dragon
Helloween - Hell Was Made in Heaven (at least for me)
Iced Earth - Watching Over Me, Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
Kamelot - Once a Dream
King Diamond - Them
Luca Turilli - Warrior's Pride, Princess Aurora
Manowar - Master of the Wind

Megadeth
Use the Man, A Tout le Monde, In My Darkest Hour, Countdown to Extinction, Captive Honour, Trust, This Was My Life, etc...

Mob Rules - Hold On
Nightwish - This Moment Is Eternity
Ozzy Osbourne - Mama I'm Comin' Home, Dreamer
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody, Somebody to Love
Rata Blanca - Otoño Medieval, Ella, Viejo Amigo, Mujer Amante, etc...
Rhapsody - Where Dragons Fly, Forest of Unicorns, Lamento Eroico
Sonata Arctica - Replica
Stratovarius - Coming Home

Yngwie Malmsteen
Blue, Asylum II - Sky Euphoria, Save Our Love, Like an Angel, Golden Dawn, Amberdawn, Tournament, On the Run Again, Hold On, Dreaming (Tell Me), Brothers, Crying, Guardian Angel, Preludium, Fuguetta, Adagio, Icarus' Dream Suite, Fugue, etc...

Hmm...just a few...well, some of these are not really "ballads", but depressive, well at least for me, remind me bad times...
19.06.2006 - 12:52
Damnated
Churchburner
Beatrik - Eternal Rest. The vocals are so fucking depressive, if he cried that wasn't so sad.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
19.06.2006 - 13:32
marinBG
Manowar - Heart of Steel, MASTER OF THE WIND
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters (I know, I know... we all know about it, it's out and boring now ), Fade to black

i don't seem to remember more, but in my ballad listening times I remember that there was a lot of good stuff...

P.S.: Iron Maiden - wazzup amigo
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
19.06.2006 - 14:38
Bas
Retired Staff
elite
Metallica´s One, the whole idea behind it is so sad...
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
19.06.2006 - 15:01
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
Wasn't it the most depresive one ballad, not the most depresive 100 ballads because you don't really have an oppinion?

My choice is going for: Skyclad - Jumping My Shadow (just read the lyrics...some of the saddest ones)
19.06.2006 - 15:04
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by Daru Jericho on 19.06.2006 at 01:53

I don't know if it counts as a ballad as such (could be though) but what about My Dying Bride's 'For My Fallen Angel'? It was the first MDB song I heard and I'll say what the person said to me when explaining this track: "It sounds like the vocalist's bride is actually dying."

Ah yes, I remember I nearly cried when I first heard it. *is pussy*

But yes, that song is depressive.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
19.06.2006 - 16:29
marinBG
Written by Bas on 19.06.2006 at 14:38

Metallica´s One, the whole idea behind it is so sad...

very true... one of my favourite metal songs of all time...
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
19.06.2006 - 18:59
Southern Wind
Account deleted
The most depressive Metal song I know is Hypocrisy's "Slippin' Away"... damn, I love Hypocrisy so much, they're able to make the most hateful music and also the most sorrowful.. Peter Tägtgren is a genious.
19.06.2006 - 23:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast
@venom
well, if they know more than one depressive ballad,what do i/you care?(remember that the title of the topic is "most depressive metal balladS")
plus the ONLY song that i almost cried when i first heard it(getting ready to be bombarded with "you pussy!" and "yeah,we knew that song already!" posts ) Led Zeppelin's Stairway to heaven
Damit that song's emotional!
20.06.2006 - 01:39
TheKreator
Account deleted
hmm...most depresive metal ballads would be...well...all Axel Rudi Pell's ballads ( especailly "When a blind man cries") ...and also..well..more emotionate than depressing...WASP's "Sleeping in the fire", and "Cries in the night"...oh yeah...and let's not forget Skid Row-In a darkened room
20.06.2006 - 02:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
My:
Accept - Sea Winds because of lyrics
Psycotic Waltz - I remeber, listen this song and you knwo why?
Bruce Dickinson - Tears of the Dragon
Black Sabbath - Changes

Quote:

yeap this is not ballad but great greatvsong and my first MYB song was "For You" and "Heroin Chick"

I think lot of peolle dont knwo what is ballad so many Iron Maiden mention, In Flames,
Joe Satriani - I belive its balld all songs of that album sounds simmilar, I gonna listen this tape just now
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.06.2006 - 04:34
Surtur
mmm what about Credence from Opeth, it's sad and the lyrics are full with melancholy...
----
" And every angel needs a tear to laugh "
20.06.2006 - 04:48
Susan
Smeghead
elite
Katatonia: Teargas

Katatonia: Sleeper (especially the line about "I am unable to protect you")

Masterplan: Back for my Life (I'm crawling back for my life/ begging to my love/ I was drinking wasn't thinking/ and I didn't mean to make you cry)

Awww....
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
21.06.2006 - 23:58
Alouqua
Account deleted
I found Lacrimosa very depressive... and beautiful so I can't choose one song of them. I also like this songs of Virgin Black, 'Beloved' and 'Our Wings Are Burning' are just so sad... oh, I forget one song that makes me cry: Melancholy of Iced Earth...
22.06.2006 - 13:51
X-FrEaK
depressive? if you want depressive you have to pick Katatonia...for example the song Day with Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth
----
22.06.2006 - 18:26
Dragonheart
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.06.2006 at 08:39

Manowar - Master of the Wind

That song is a 'soft' ballad certainly, but the lyrics aren't that depressive after all:
"Fly away, to a rainbow to the sky / gold is at the end for each of us to find... for any day that stings two better days it brings / nothing is as bad as it seems"

Stratovarius' "Coming Home" may start out a little melancholic, but it never gets even remotely depressive IMO. In fact, I think it's pretty optimistic.

To the thread starter, I don't consider "Glory to the Brave" depressive. It may be a song about loss, but the music is still too positive. (Power metal and depression don't mix well in general for that very reason.)

Ironically, one of the most depressive PM songs I know is "Turn Back Time" from the "happy flower metal" band Freedom Call. There is desperation in both the lyrics and the music.
Lyrics --> http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/lyrics.php?album_id=644#2773
24.06.2006 - 00:03
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Tristania's December Elegy. I remember it being the first song I heard from them and the melancholy in it was the reason why I loved it so much. Still remains the most depressively emotional song to me, due to heartbreaking vocals of Vibeke Stene, doom guitars, ending violins and the whole ambient they create together.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
24.06.2006 - 23:47
holababa
Account deleted
maybe it's not a ballad but i would say lethe from dark tranquillity. it can tear me wide open pretty hard every time i hear it. you can hear stanne is literally sreaming his soul out.
some of the khoma stuff like "like coming home" is really moody too
26.06.2006 - 01:33
valkyrie6852
Account deleted
amon amarth- the fate of norns
iced earth- i died for you
metallica- fade to black
nevermore- sentient 6
opeth- in my time of need, hope leaves, the drapery falls, weakness, hours of wealth, isolation years, TO BID YOU FAREWELL, nectar, under the weeping moon
sentenced- basically all of their stuff, especially fragile
sonata arctica- last drop falls, tallulah, shamandalie

theres no debating that those sonata songs are ballads...
26.06.2006 - 07:35
Pianoman
Account deleted
Swanheart of Nightwish is so sad and depressive. With Piano Arramgements is so emotional I cant explain it just feel its magic.
Also is Wings of Destiny of Rhapsody that is my favourite ballad of all times but i dont know is so depressive.
And innocense of shaaman is beatyfoul too with the voice of the best singer of all time Andre Matos.
27.06.2006 - 13:03
Hyvaarin
Written by marinBG on 19.06.2006 at 13:32

Manowar - Heart of Steel

Seriously?! I find Heart of Steel to be amazingly uplifting, and not depressing at all.

Hammerfall's 'Remember Yesterday' gets me pretty depressed. The thought of playing it at a friend's funeral is too much for me . Oh, and 'Tallulah' by Sonata Arctica.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
27.06.2006 - 19:48
Sunioj
Sentenced, I would listen when I feel down and burntout....okay lyrics for a finnish band. Manowar has some ballads, but they always and with a happy and glorious vibe. And thats what I love. Hypocrisy's slave to the parasites or deathrow is frikkin' suicide music.

Tristania's world of glass may not be a deppressive album, but its a damn good ballad like album.
29.06.2006 - 03:46
Nightmare^
Iced Earth-I died for You...a really sad song....and I have connected it with a bad period of my life...this song means and reminds a lot to me...
----
29.06.2006 - 06:51
tulkas
el parcero
Sonata Arctica - Shamandalie
Iced Earth - I died for you, watching over me
There´s something about Lithium and a Lover from Sirenia that
Opeth - Hope leaves
Menhir - Instrumental, although being an instrumental song, it is really depressive
Dream Theater - Dissapear, Vacant, Space-Dye vest
Charon - Sorrow song, the name says it all.
And finally, although it´s not a ballad, Am I 1? from Dark Tranquillity just does it for me, maybe because I feel like it´s about me or something like that. It really brings out more than one tear I love that song
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
08.07.2006 - 17:38
Mariela.
Account deleted
Sonata Arctica are very good at metal ballads! When I heard "Tallulah" and "Broken" for the first time I felt sad and miserable..They're just so beautyful and really touched my heart!
08.07.2006 - 23:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well you all shood try
Arakain - ''Zase Spis V Noce Sama''
Great song, title in englis ''she are sleepimg alone tonight'' video remainds me, ehh its about man who cant gtet women, and well then she is sleeping alone, thats how it shood be

Also
Arakain - ''Zampomen'' gtreat ballda, full whit enery, remainds me about those days, when I wasnt whit booze so much and still smiling. yeah begining of 90ties when sistem fall.

Try here www.arakain.cz
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing