Metal Storm logo
Most depressive metal ballads

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 18.06.2006 - 14:19
well, a topic where you can post which are, in your opinion, the most depressive, tearbringing ballads.
I'll say that "Glory to the brave" by hammerfall, and (though it's not actually a ballad), Ghost love score by Nightwish are really depressive songs.
27.12.2006 - 06:31
Eternal Flames

My Dying Bride - For My Fallen Angel: Still remains my one of my favourite ballads even after so long. It's such a sad yet beautiful song.

Iced Earth - Melancholy: You could and couldn't call it a ballad. It's got a really nice mix of harder and softer parts. Barlow's vocals are just perfect in this song.

Iced Earth - Watching Over Me: Well, this would probably be my all time favourite. Such a sad song dedicated to Jon Schaffer's good friend who died in a motorcycle accident. I love how Matt Barlow manages to put so much emotion into the song, despite that he's not expressing his own thoughts in it. But I suppose most people can relate to the song somehow. A lot of us have lost close friends to us, and that's probably what makes this song so great.
27.12.2006 - 16:59
angel
Account deleted
metallica - nothing else matters, which is a great song..but depresseve? dont know ^^
29.12.2006 - 22:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 27.12.2006 at 06:52

The River Flows Frozen does it for me by Eternal Tears of Sorrow, just makes you feel so distant and cold like your falling into nothingness and becoming frozen inside if that makes any sense I don't know it's just everyhting about this one song evokes pure heartfelt emotion from the acoustic intro the clean vocals to the soaring lead at the end of the song it has it all.

same I can say about Bride Of The Crimson See bout songs are amazing and best of ETOS!
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.12.2006 - 22:34
Warman
Erotic Stains
Deathstars Virtue to Vice
Very beautiful and emotional song, especially live. Makes me damn depressed, in a positive way.
----
30.12.2006 - 01:18
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
I am not into this stuff...and also can not say that i get depressions from songs...but a good "ballad", song that could be called depressing, or at least writen in somewhat of a depression is Fade To Black by...you all know...
30.12.2006 - 15:00
baldur

Written by baldur on 30.12.2006 at 14:59

machine head - decend the shades of night a really awesome ballad every time i listen to it i just want to start crying
06.01.2007 - 00:30
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Adding: Entwine - Safe In A Dream

Very simple song, but intense and profound. The slow guitars and drums with the desperate vocal make it just perfect for me whenever I feel down about... love. A feeling of loniless, despair, a feeling when you just want to tear your heart out and throw it out the windov... When you feel alone, knowing the person you long for is not here... And you doubt will he ever be?....

I agree on My Dying Bride's For My Fallen Angel I dislike doom and MDB tho, but this song is the only of their I absolutely adore. The violins are so slow and sorrowful, and the voice, deep as ocean... With beautiful lyrics.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
13.01.2007 - 21:46
APOHAKC
The Bard
Maybe someone took my list little strange for this topic but this is how things work in my brain, I really find this songs heavy (not like HM)

My Dying Bride - Angel And The Dark River - album
Raintime - Chains Of Sadness
Iced Earth - A Question Of Heaven
Grave Digger - A Ballad Of Marry
King Diamond - So Sad
Whispering Gallery - Shades Of Sorrow - Almost all songs from this album
London After Midnight - Almost all songs from this great band
... and many more this is what was first on my mind and what I am listening right now but most of this staff would definetly be my first choice
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
19.01.2007 - 12:38
Asitis

My Dying Bride - For My Fallen Angel
My Dying Bride - Ceremonial Requiem
Iced Earth - I Died For You
Iced Earth - Melancholy

Agalloch - {insert random song title} (Awesome band)

First I thought i'd be a nice idea to start a poll or something, have a lil competition for the most depressive song
But then Agalloch came to mind. And no need for competition.
----
The silent moment, right before the dusk fades away
I open my eyes, but the darkness stays
22.01.2007 - 14:26
..HumanError..
Account deleted
The first song that comes to my mind is .... hmmm... lol; a bunch of Sentenced, and many other suomi band's songs. Cross My Heart And Hope To Die by Sentenced is ... oh god... (im already crying ) one of the most depressive song ive ever heard. Hmmm.... id also mention Closer (My Love) by Entwine.

Oh, talking about Hammerfall, Always Will Be is really really beautiful.

Oh, just remembered, i know its not metal, but ... THE MOST depressive song i know is Haemoglobin by Placebo. It is really worth the trying, whether you are a metalhead or not. But hey, ALL Placebo's songs are depressive Oo.
23.01.2007 - 01:26
lazarus

I've got some good songs that are really depressive (imo), Anathema with their song called Lost Control from the album Alternative 4, Day by Katatonia, Credence by Opeth (which I believe is one of the sadness song I've ever heard) and Body of Clay played by Agathodaimon. Obviously there are some others but I can't recall the rest of them right now.
----
And sometimes I despair
At who I've become
I have to come to terms
With what I've done
28.02.2007 - 22:47
Valentin B
Iconoclast
again, not a "true" ballad, but iced earth- a question of heaven really hits me in the soft, warm, and fuzzy(lol) spot... :'( if you pay attention to the angel voices, you could be in the best mood possible, it's impossible not to get affected by the song...
28.02.2007 - 23:00
darksun

Dio's as long as it's not about love anathema's one last goodbye,forgotten hopes sentenced's killing me killing you,cross my heart and hope to die and mourn.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
01.03.2007 - 06:06
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Rainbows 'Rainbow Eyes' Dios voice just sounds so.....sad in that song which is weird for me considering when I think of Dio I think slightly more agressive (as far as clean vocalists go) but happyish in a way.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.03.2007 - 15:01
Damnated
Churchburner
Nocturnal Depression - Anthem to Self-Destruction. the base riff is insanely good, and pretty depressing too.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.03.2007 - 00:51
Cock_Spit
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 28.02.2007 at 22:47

again, not a "true" ballad, but iced earth- a question of heaven really hits me in the soft, warm, and fuzzy(lol) spot... :'( if you pay attention to the angel voices, you could be in the best mood possible, it's impossible not to get affected by the song...

Oh eM Gee! I get that feeling also when I first heard that song. O_O I find it beautiful, yet depressing and tranquil at the same time.
18.03.2007 - 07:36
selken
Irreligious
In my opinion, when I'm too tired and don't want speed, i listen to this:
Forever and One, from Helloween, the chorus is... simply sad
Mama Said, by Metallica
Stratovarius' Years Go By
Stratovarius' Mother Gaia
Moi Dix Mois - Mephisto Walts
----
18.03.2007 - 20:07
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Well the one that really stands out is Fade to Black, great ballad, but here are some other good ones:

Iron Maiden - Wasting love
Wintersun - Sadness and Hate
Iron Maiden - Journey men
Mama Said - Metallica
Sonata Arctica - Brocken
Gamma Ray - Lake of Tears

Not 100% sure if the last one's a ballad but it's sure depressing.
24.03.2007 - 13:43
Anathemani@c

Written by Guest on 18.03.2007 at 20:07

Well the one that really stands out is Fade to Black, great ballad, but here are some other good ones:

Iron Maiden - Wasting love
Wintersun - Sadness and Hate
Iron Maiden - Journey men
Mama Said - Metallica
Sonata Arctica - Brocken
Gamma Ray - Lake of Tears

Not 100% sure if the last one's a ballad but it's sure depressing.

Sorry but I cant get you.. How do you mean journey man and mama said as ballads??
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
24.03.2007 - 13:45
Anathemani@c

Written by BloodTears on 01.03.2007 at 16:48

anathema's one last goodbye most definately.

What about Regret, Lost Control and Flying??? Regret's lyrics are more than depressive! No more words about music...
----
Trapped in time
24.03.2007 - 13:47
Anathemani@c

Written by selken on 18.03.2007 at 07:36

Mama Said, by Metallica

How can you actually find mama said from Metallica as a depressing song?? The most depressing Metallica song is Nothing else matters and -maybe- fade to black. But not mama said..
----
Trapped in time
25.03.2007 - 14:49
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Anathemani@c on 24.03.2007 at 13:45

Written by BloodTears on 01.03.2007 at 16:48

anathema's one last goodbye most definately.

What about Regret, Lost Control and Flying??? Regret's lyrics are more than depressive! No more words about music...

Yes you are absolutely right. Actually Lost Control is my favourite alternative 4 song, the first anathema song i listened.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.03.2007 - 18:05
selken
Irreligious
Written by Anathemani@c on 24.03.2007 at 13:47

Mama Said, by Metallica

How can you actually find mama said from Metallica as a depressing song?? The most depressing Metallica song is Nothing else matters and -maybe- fade to black. But not mama said..

I have a mother...
----
26.03.2007 - 18:07
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Anathemani@c on 24.03.2007 at 13:47

Mama Said, by Metallica

I also find Mama Said to be very sad and depressive. James sings it with so much emotion, almost painful. It sure is an amazing song.
----
26.03.2007 - 18:23
Anathemani@c

OK then, maybe I am wrong. I ll give it one more try... But nothing of these songs can be more depressive than anathema's One Last Goodbye, Regret, Lost Control and Flying. I can assure you
----
Trapped in time
11.04.2007 - 16:39
LoUd3
Account deleted
Nightwish - Sleeping sun... Every tiny piece in that song is filled with so much emotion.
19.04.2007 - 07:09
Thrash666

Written by Bas on 19.06.2006 at 14:38

Metallica´s One, the whole idea behind it is so sad...

Fuck ya it is and the video makes it even more distrubing and depressing. I think that hands down the most depressive ballad is In This River its just so fuckin depressing R.I.P. Dimebag!!!
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
23.04.2007 - 04:14
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well, not only the ballads, but pretty much everything by Sentenced since 1998

- For The Love I Bear
- The Rain comes falling down
- Down Togheter
- Bleed In My Arms
- Killing Me Killing you

And so on...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
16.05.2007 - 13:52
High and Mighty
Account deleted
For My Fallen Angel from My Dying Bride. It really is tearsome
16.05.2007 - 14:49
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
The most depressive ballad i can think of now is probably
Suicide Note pt:1 - Pantera (its a song that has always hit close to home)
also worth a note in this...
Wait for Sleep - Dream Theater (Again another song which has alot of meaning to me)
Again - Tapping the Vein (It is a song about letting go of someone special because you know they deserve better)