Metal Storm logo
Most depressive metal ballads

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 18.06.2006 - 14:19
well, a topic where you can post which are, in your opinion, the most depressive, tearbringing ballads.
I'll say that "Glory to the brave" by hammerfall, and (though it's not actually a ballad), Ghost love score by Nightwish are really depressive songs.
23.12.2007 - 20:44
Ascalon
Tears of Ice of Stratovarius ... maybe the most of Lacrimosa songs ... nut i preffer power metal
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
26.12.2007 - 09:21
FOOCK Nam
Glory To The Brave is so decent

The depressive metal ballads, almost for me is Fade To Black ,of Metallica, but I prefer Sonata Arctica cover version. Its really sad and depressive.
26.12.2007 - 13:50
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Written by FOOCK Nam on 26.12.2007 at 09:21

The depressive metal ballads, almost for me is Fade To Black ,of Metallica, but I prefer Sonata Arctica cover version. Its really sad and depressive.

Oh Sonata Artica covered Fade To Black? haven't heard of this before..., i only know that Sonata Artica made a cover of 'Still Loving You' (Scorpions) and the song turned to something, well, .. crappy
26.12.2007 - 15:03
FOOCK Nam
Written by Guest on 26.12.2007 at 13:50

Written by FOOCK Nam on 26.12.2007 at 09:21

Oh Sonata Artica covered Fade To Black? haven't heard of this before..., i only know that Sonata Artica made a cover of 'Still Loving You' (Scorpions) and the song turned to something, well, .. crappy

Yeah, Sonata Arctica do covering Fade To Black of Metallica, it is in Takatalvi album. Not sure but maybe the Still Loving You also is in Takatalvi. They also have another Helloween cover I Want Out.
27.12.2007 - 01:02
Sonic MrSumo
Hollow...by Pantera.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
31.12.2007 - 00:39
Olli
Dream Theater - Wait For Sleep is a really sad song but it's brilliant
Theres an opeth song too that I remember, butt I cant remember what it's called.. I need to find out.
Damageplan - Soul Bleed
Dry Kill Logic - Goodnight
H.I.M - The Sacrament (their best song by far)

Serj Tankian - Saving Us the video is really deep and the ending really gets me every time.

I have a few more in my head but I cant remember what they are called.. so I'll leave it at that
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
31.12.2007 - 16:37
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
Stratovarius - Dream with me
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!
31.12.2007 - 19:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Damnated on 15.08.2006 at 11:40

Am I the only one who can't see depression in heavy/power metal?

I'm with you man... But I have some tracks that for me are very depressing... but again... not so many at all.

Anyway for me the best ballads [some of this songs are not completely ballads, but god!!!.. they are soo sad .... Like you see here.. I really love the sad stuff jajajajaja

* ANATHEMA: Deep, Forgotten Hopes, Make It Right [This one is very simple.. but the facking songwritting... simple but I loved it], One Last Goodbye [I'm out of words here... the hole history of a guy who lost his true love all in Vincent's vocals], Are You There, Flying, Sleepless 96 [Heavy and sad at the same time.. facikng awesome ]
* METALLICA: One [This is the very first metal-song that I heard in my life.. and is still the one of the best songs... and the best song of Metallica IMO... The history behind this song and the video are exellent]
Fade to Black, The unforgiven [I and II]
* MY DYING BRIDE: For You, My Wine in Silence [this one is so gooooooooood... very sad]
* MÄGO DE OZ: El Lago, Pensando en Ti, Requiem [I don't care if the lyrics are a bit cheesy or gay.... the fellings are awesome]
* NIGHTWISH: Ever Dream, Sleeping Sun,
* OPETH: Nectar [I love this one very much... an exellent solo and the vocals are out of this world, Mikael sound very sad in this one], To Bid You Farewell [this is a facking MUST!!!], Face of Melinda [Those who know the history of the entire album know why this song is prefect. the songwritting too], Harvest, Windowpane, Hope Leaves, To Rid the Disease.
* RAMMSTEIN: Seemann, Mutter [One of the most crasy lyrics that I have readed], Nebel, Amour [you HAVE TO READ the translation, is a really poem and explain in a crazy and psicho way what Love really is], Klavier.
Ohne Dich, Stirb Nicht Vor Mir
* RHAPSODY: Wings of Destiny [only this one... simple but beautiful]
* SOPOR AETERNUS: Alone, No-one Is There
* THEATRE OF TRAGEDY: Venus, And When He Falleth, On Whom the Moon Doth Shine.
* VIRGIN BLACK: Beloved, Our Wings Are Burning [One of the best guitarr that I have listened to... it really sounds like a chello]
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.01.2008 - 09:38
FOOCK Nam
Agree with Mr.Doctor, Wings Of Destiny is beatiful.

Another depressive ballads I would pick is Hours Of Wealth, of Opeth. Its lyric is very depressive.
01.01.2008 - 14:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Yeah.. That song is really good.But I don't like so much the last album by Opeth.
The only songs that I like are Ghost of perdition, The Grand Conjuration and Isolation years... the last one is one of the best ballads by them IMO.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.01.2008 - 16:57
Graveheart
Written by X-Ray Rod on 31.12.2007 at 19:00
* ANATHEMA: One Last Goodbye [I'm out of words here... the hole history of a guy who lost his true love all in Vincent's vocals]

I hope you don't mind me correcting, but actually the true (emphasis on the "true") story behind the lyrics is the passing of Helen Cavanagh - the mother of Daniel, Vincent and Jamie. At first I also thought it was about the end of a romantic love story, which seemed cheesy to me so I didn't care about the lyrics, but I changed my mind the day I found out.
01.01.2008 - 17:04
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've recently fallen in love with Disappear and Misunderstood by Dream Theater. Especially the first one mentioned is very depressive and so fucking beautiful. Wait for Sleep is a must when it comes to depressive music too.
----
01.01.2008 - 17:11
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Written by Graveheart on 01.01.2008 at 16:57

* ANATHEMA: One Last Goodbye [I'm out of words here... the hole history of a guy who lost his true love all in Vincent's vocals]

I hope you don't mind me correcting, but actually the true (emphasis on the "true") story behind the lyrics is the passing of Helen Cavanagh - the mother of Daniel, Vincent and Jamie. At first I also thought it was about the end of a romantic love story, which seemed cheesy to me so I didn't care about the lyrics, but I changed my mind the day I found out.

Yeah it's true, and also the whole 'Judgement' album is dedicated to Helen.. But actually i think it's natural when someone reads the lyrics of 'One Last Goodbye' and starts saying the song is about love if he has no clue of the real story behind... , i at first had that thought as well
01.01.2008 - 19:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff

I know who is the hole history behind the cd Judgement xD
But When I read lyrics ... for me is much better to have my own translations and thoughts.
It's more...interesting.
And I don't know why is cheesy... I know that it's your Opinion. But I really hate when metalheads use that word =S

It usually comes from persons who don't have a heart [just my opinion man, don't take it in a bad way ]
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.01.2008 - 19:34
ArcanaHereticae
Gamma Ray - Lake of Tears. Slow, yet still pretty epic.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
02.01.2008 - 20:41
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Nightwish - Forever Yours
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.01.2008 - 21:02
Graveheart
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.01.2008 at 19:47

I know who is the hole history behind the cd Judgement xD
But When I read lyrics ... for me is much better to have my own translations and thoughts.
It's more...interesting.
And I don't know why is cheesy... I know that it's your Opinion. But I really hate when metalheads use that word =S

It usually comes from persons who don't have a heart [just my opinion man, don't take it in a bad way ]

Maybe I used the wrong word there, it seemed more like a "boring" love story saying "you are dead and I am alone" for the millionth time. For me it's got to be based on reality in order to move me, I don't have a heart for fictional tragedies anymore if there is nothing new to it. It's alright though, I just felt like pointing that out in case you didn't know it was real.

My contribution to the thread: even though it's not a ballad, Transfixion by Rapture has this certain guitar tone that's depressing in a weird way. It's hard to explain what it sounds like, but it's a lot similar to what Opeth has going on on Blackwater Park. It's that atmosphere in the guitars.
03.01.2008 - 10:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
you are dead and I am alone" for the millionth time.

I'm agree on that xD... In real cases... I'm really senseless too. But in music I'm feel very much the histories behind the songs.
I'm understand you in every way man

Another Ballad.... The hole Damnation... exelent album by Opeth IMO... But especially. To Rid The Disease.
----
Rod, let me love you.
03.01.2008 - 21:40
Warman
Erotic Stains
I hope someone has mentioned Dead Boy's Poem by Nightwish. That one always breaks my heart and must be the most depressive one! Oh and did I say that it's also one of the best songs ever?
----
04.01.2008 - 04:56
Zarathustra19
Account deleted
I think one of the most depressive songs (outside of the genre of Depressive Black metal) would be "Brave" by Katatonia. Wonderful song, but very depressive. Its a toss-up between that or Funeral's "This Barren Skin"
04.01.2008 - 15:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Warman on 03.01.2008 at 21:40

I hope someone has mentioned Dead Boy's Poem by Nightwish. That one always breaks my heart and must be the most depressive one! Oh and did I say that it's also one of the best songs ever?

I don't know why I don't like that one xD... It just.. don't work for me.
For me the ballads of Nightwish are... Angels Fall First, Sleeping Sun, Ever Dream, Forever Yours, Creek Mary's Blood and finally Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.01.2008 - 16:48
NECURATU
Don't forget the death metal ballad of sorts, Dreaming In Red from Dismember!
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
04.01.2008 - 18:33
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.01.2008 at 15:55

For me the ballads of Nightwish are... Angels Fall First, Sleeping Sun, Ever Dream, Forever Yours, Creek Mary's Blood and finally Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan

Two For Tragedy is also a depressive one, do you like it?
04.01.2008 - 20:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 04.01.2008 at 18:33

Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.01.2008 at 15:55

Two For Tragedy is also a depressive one, do you like it?

I wanted to pick that one.. But when I hearded the song again... It wasn't so good to make feel something xD
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.01.2008 - 22:06
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
what about Away by NW? this one is depressive like hell too

(try it together with my 300 vid )
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

05.01.2008 - 05:35
juanopereira
For me, Tallulah by Sonata Arctica and Dreams come True by HammerFall. Very Sad and depressive songs, but good XD
07.01.2008 - 08:02
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Heart Of Steel by Manowar, it makes me cry when i listen it with some beers...
23.03.2008 - 13:28
FOOCK Nam
Written by Vinnie R. on 07.01.2008 at 08:02

Heart Of Steel is depressive? I disagree. I can only agree that it is a vary emotional songs, and like emotion-boost positively
23.03.2008 - 18:50
VPeter
I find it absolutely hilarious that there are a lot of people who find heavy metal/power metal depressive
"oh no! mine poor Skuffy the dragon died " seriously do you people even now what depressive is? and have you chaps ever heard of DOOM metal?
I really laughed when some folk here mentioned Manowar, seriously!
not to mention the horrible Metallica songs "fade to black" and "one" then again Metallica always sucked.
then finaly I fail to see the depression in the whiney screams of emo black metal.
how ever these are mine picks: My Dying Bride, Type O Negative, old Theatre of Tragedy, Draconian among others.
23.03.2008 - 19:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by FOOCK Nam on 23.03.2008 at 13:28

Written by Vinnie R. on 07.01.2008 at 08:02

Heart Of Steel is depressive? I disagree. I can only agree that it is a vary emotional songs, and like emotion-boost positively

Like 99% of Manowar songs Heart Of Steel isn't depressive but depressing And it also makes me cry when I listen to it (be it sober or drunk) because it reminds of how crap and even more cheesy Manowar became after their first three albums.
Band such as Manowar are depressing and epitomize everything bad about metal. I can understand why people who don't know much to any metal will look down upon metal when they hear Manowar. I can even understand why they then think that metal is a "male chauvinist pig dominated sexist misogynist world" dominated by fascist war glorifying braindead morons :-)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996