04. Dirty Window
05. Invisible Kid
06. My World
07. Shoot Me Again
08. Sweet Amber
09. The Unnamed Feeling
10. Purify
11. All Within My Hands

Six long years after the release of ReLoad, Metallica come back on the scene to show their 8th studio album, St. Anger. Many of you have almost lost all the respect for this band since the release of the black album, many others hate them because of Load and ReLoad and some others have now lost every interest in their music. Actually, what can you all expect from the band who left its early amazing style to get fame and glory on MTV?

They got the MTV Icon 2003 nomination [did we all see Avril Lavigne?]. They released several commercial operations such as 'I Disappear'; they have a new bass player with a terrible funky look; they have an awful new logo; better leave out this ugly cover artwork by Pushead. The Four Horsemen seem now so far from what they were the 80's...

Are we angry enough? Well, Metallica seem to be angry too! Probably, they've never been so angry before. All the patience they had, all the critics they beared, all the rage they had inside and all the anger have now exploded.

They thought: "Metallica cannot end this way, so we've got to return to our early feelings". This is right: they made a new album, returning to heavy sounds but producing it with all the experience they acquired in these last 20 years. Now it's easy to understand the album's title and the scream in the title track: "I need to set my anger free"!

The Four Horsemen want to regain the fans' trust and to reassure them. For this reason they included a bonus DVD featuring live rehearsal recordings of all eleven songs played with Rob Trujillo. So it is also a way to show us Rob's skill, since he doesn't play on the cd: we must remember that Rob joined Metallica when St. Anger was almost finished and that producer Bob Rock played all the bass lines during the recording sessions.

But what is St. Anger like? Is it "just another Metallica joke"? Is it expensive because of the DVD? Shall you buy it? Don't worry: I bought it for you, the same day as the release, DVD included, it cost me 21,75 Euros: regular Italian price.

I've been waiting for this album since I was 12, since I pushed play and heard Metallica for the first time: "Gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire!". Then began a strong passion that will not end until they'll record rap songs.

I've never lost my Metallifaith [maybe because ReLoad was my first Metal cd] but I must admit that I wasn't expecting all this. I could type a dozen pages about St. Anger but I'll try to describe it in a few lines.

Look at the package: awful design. Look at the tracklist: hmmm, track #2 is a title track, just as in the first albums. Interesting... Now push play!

'Frantic' is heavy fast thrash metal! Aggressive vocals, heavy riffs, terrible drums and a catchy riff coming up sometimes from all that mess! You might think: "The opening tracks are always heavy". You may be right. You may...

Let's skip to the second track. Now your tongue has frozen! You begin to understand that the whole album is pure anger. In the title track there is just a slow clean part during the chorus: it is one of the few soft parts you will find here.

In this album Lars proves that he can still play drums at full blast! I think that we can compare his work on this album to that of ...And Justice For All: ultracomplex and massive. This seems to be a natural evolution, just as St. Anger was Metallica's 6th album. It is just unbelievable: Metallica seems to have buried every trail of Load, ReLoad and maybe of the black album too! You all remember that tiring title track in ...And Justice For All and its complex structure. Now forget it: songs like 'Some Kind Of Monster' and 'All Within My Hands' are here to drive you crazy. I never heard any Metallisong so complex! Just undescribable. Go further, skip all the tracks: the more you hear the less you believe. Are these the same guys who played 'Nothing Else Matters' with an orchestra? Hard to believe. This is not Metallica.

St. Anger is a brutal Thrash metal work, without any kind of structure, totally different from what we heard before. There are no bridges, no verses, no chorus. The guitars are fat. There are no solos: where is Kirk Hammett?

The drums are simply excellent, for their raw sound and above all for the great double bassdrums parts: well done, Lars! But the drums volume is really too loud. The vocal parts are absurd: no melodic lines, too much speech and screams. Total absence of melodic parts: there isn't any heavy ballad, just brutal pieces. It's not a problem: I like Pantera.

But even the early works featured some quiet moments. All the clean guitars we heard in 'One' have disappeared! And what is the result? A chaotic mass of riffs and exuberant drums: Metallica can still shock us! But in my opinion all this mess is not the right way to regain the fans? trust. These are not The Four Horsemen. These are four mad guys.

I'd leave this review without a rating. How would you rate a Metal record that doesn't feature any guitar solo? Can you all hear me? I bet that their next album will include once again fantastic melodies: I swear it! Hehehee...

I know that while I'm typing this on June 6, 2003 [yeah, the same day as the release], thousands of people don't even imagine how they're gonna be shocked! So it is hard to foretell now, but I believe that St. Anger can potentially become an important turning point for Metallica but also for the fans who abandoned them soon after Load. This work shall prove to the world that they're not done yet: like the phoenix, Metallica seems to have risen from its ashes. At the moment, I personally don't like this record. I'd like to see some other review [even on this website].

Written by Account deleted | 22.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Powerslave16
Rating:
Metallica's 2003 release, St. Anger, will most likely always be considered the low point of the bands discography. I'm not sure if I can completely agree with this. I personally believe Load and Reload are worse albums. Mind you, St. Anger is absolutely not a fantastic release. It rambles, has some bad tracks, and sometimes you wonder "what are they doing?" (listen to Hetfield's moans in Invisible Kid). But the album does have energy, something the band has had on about 3 tracks on the last 2 studio discs.

Read more ››
published 10.09.2007 | Comments (61)

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 145   Visited by: 569 users
17.09.2006 - 07:26
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 17.09.2006 at 05:07

... whats gone wrong??

Are you talking about the band or the discussion? If you're talking about the discussion, I must disagree because I see nothing wrong with it.
17.09.2006 - 07:29
Rating: 3
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Guest on 17.09.2006 at 07:26

Written by BurbotsRevenge on 17.09.2006 at 05:07

... whats gone wrong??

Are you talking about the band or the discussion? If you're talking about the discussion, I must disagree because I see nothing wrong with it.

i was talking about the band

they were the best in the 80's and early 90's, not that good in the late 90's and now this. Whats wrong?
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
22.10.2006 - 03:29
marillionfan
Account deleted
A disappointing album. Not only there are no solos, but the drums sound terrible and as far as the vocals are concerned, it's James worst performance.
28.10.2006 - 16:56
Fear Of God
Account deleted
It's your own fault if you're dissapointed, did you guys really think Metallica just comes back and brings out a good or even classic thrash release? Come one. Metallica is dead since 1988, so let them rest in peace.
22.11.2006 - 12:25
Dark Light
Account deleted
i think that this is metallicas best album, if you think about the amount of time it took before they actually gave it out.. the solos are maybe not as good as on some of the other albums, but the whole songs, and the "theme" is brilliant. the song st anger is also brilliant! even my mum knows that song..
22.11.2006 - 15:22
Sunioj
Why is this still an issue? And why do people defend this album? If you like it go ahead, no one cares. No ones liking this album will change the fact that this album is horendous.
26.11.2006 - 11:45
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 22.11.2006 at 12:25

i think that this is metallicas best album, if you think about the amount of time it took before they actually gave it out.. the solos are maybe not as good as on some of the other albums, but the whole songs, and the "theme" is brilliant. the song st anger is also brilliant! even my mum knows that song..

solos??! this album is RENOWNED worldwide for not having even a hint of a solo!
01.12.2006 - 00:16
Insineratehymn
Account deleted

Did you just say solos!? *proceeds to laugh uncontrollably* This album is world-renowned for not having a single solo! Kirk Hammett was forbidden to play on this album! How can you say "the solos are maybe not as good as on some of the other albums" when there was not a solo to be found?
01.12.2006 - 00:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 01.12.2006 at 00:16

Did you just say solos!? *proceeds to laugh uncontrollably* This album does not have a single solo! Kirk Hammett was forbidden to play on this album! How can you say "the solos are maybe not as good as on some of the other albums" when there was not a solo to be found?

he is being sarcastic I think.

And btw am I the ONLY person on this forum that is actually happy that Kirk wasn't allwoed to play a solo? I always found his solos and Lars' drumming the weakest parts of metallica. whenever kirk plays a solo he uses his wah wah pedal and IMO he isn't goo at all, he is even quite crappy if you ask me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.12.2006 - 23:56
Rating: 9
Rupert
Written by Sunioj on 22.11.2006 at 15:22

Why is this still an issue? And why do people defend this album? If you like it go ahead, no one cares. No ones liking this album will change the fact that this album is horendous.

If thinking it's a good album is a worthless opinion, wouldn't thinking it's horrendous be a worthless opinion as well? These are all just opinions and the album isn't one or the other, it's just an album. Personally, I really like the album (although it took some time to grasp), so you can't say it IS a bad album, because people obviously like it, and others obviously detest it.
09.12.2006 - 07:18
XStraightxEdgerX
Account deleted
Written by Rupert on 08.12.2006 at 23:56

If thinking it's a good album is a worthless opinion, wouldn't thinking it's horrendous a worthless opinion as well? These are all just opinions and the album isn't one or the other, it's just an album. Personally, I really like the album (although it took some time to grasp), so you can't say it IS a bad album, because people obviously like it, and others obviously detest it.

Some of us are smart enough to not blindly swallow what the media tells us is the next great album from these sadly washed up musicians Rupert!
09.12.2006 - 07:22
Rupert
Written by Guest on 09.12.2006 at 07:18

Written by Rupert on 08.12.2006 at 23:56

If thinking it's a good album is a worthless opinion, wouldn't thinking it's horrendous a worthless opinion as well? These are all just opinions and the album isn't one or the other, it's just an album. Personally, I really like the album (although it took some time to grasp), so you can't say it IS a bad album, because people obviously like it, and others obviously detest it.

Some of us are smart enough to not blindly swallow what the media tells us is the next great album from these sadly washed up musicians Rupert!

Too bad I don't have MTV.
10.12.2006 - 15:22
Sunioj
Ok lets just look at the album from a critical (metal) standpoint, theres no solos, the lyrics are terrible, the songwriting is repetitive and underachieved, the drumming is pretty bad too. So there you go, you got a bad album.
30.12.2006 - 10:27
Rupert
lol, wow. It's very critical of you to look at it from that perspective...
02.01.2007 - 02:58
XStraightxEdgerX
Account deleted
lol, wow. It's very gay of you to use suspension points. Isn't it supposed to be critical? This is a review. How else would you look at it?
02.01.2007 - 03:10
Rupert
Well, in case your brain's not fully developed, my comment was a sarcastic take on Hellraizer's post. A song doesn't need to have some overblown solo to be "metal". And about the repetetiveness and drumming, this album was meant to be tough to listen to. Have you ever listened to someone who's truly pissed off at you? It's quite unbearable to go through, and that's exactly what the album achieved. That's the brilliance of it. I'm not going to say anything else about this, even if you call me gay or something again, Owen. (H)
02.01.2007 - 03:40
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Rupert on 02.01.2007 at 03:10

Well, in case your brain's not fully developed, my comment was a sarcastic take on Hellraizer's post. A song doesn't need to have some overblown solo to be "metal". And about the repetetiveness and drumming, this album was meant to be tough to listen to. Have you ever listened to someone who's truly pissed off at you? It's quite unbearable to go through, and that's exactly what the album achieved. That's the brilliance of it. I'm not going to say anything else about this, even if you call me gay or something again, Owen. (H)

This album is half-assed when it comes to aggression even. Try Nasum if you need to ventilate, atleast there is some feeling in the hate.
02.01.2007 - 05:05
XStraightxEdgerX
Account deleted
Good point, Basso. If Rupert here wanted some aggression in his music he could simply dig himself out of his mainstream rut and explore the heavier things the government doesn't want him to hear.
06.01.2007 - 18:05
DeadEternity
Account deleted
Metallica has come a long way from RTL and MOP. It's hard to believe this is what Metallica has become. Even Load and Reload has some solos, even if those albums were lousy. No Solos on St. Anger? This Album gets a 1.0 from me.
09.01.2007 - 00:53
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
St. Anger was a terrible album, by far the worst that Metallica has ever made. The only good things that came out've it are that Metallica is willing to try to play thrash metal again, that Lars Ulrich still has the skill to play like in the 80's and that James Hetfield's voice is still pretty good. In my opinian they need to write better songs, much better lyrics and to give my fricken idol Kirk Hammet a solo!
20.01.2007 - 15:55
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
This is one of the worst albums ever, and deserves to be rated 1
----
that which shines without names and forms...
16.02.2007 - 10:13
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
'Frantic' is heavy fast thrash metal'
This is correct only if you mean it as an irony. This album sounds more punk (or nu metal-ish)rather than thrash metal. This album pissed me off completely, and I eventually started disliking the band especially after this album. Metallica died after Burton's death for me, as I have stated in metallica related thereads before.
Thumbs up to you for the review, you have put in a good efffort for it.
Personally, I think '2' (i.e. pure shit) is the correct rating for this shitty album. (however I liked old metallica albums.)
----
that which shines without names and forms...
19.03.2007 - 03:02
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Yeah i was trying to be sarcastic when i said "Metallica is willing to try to play thrash metal again", but they don't have an eye rolling face lol, and yes the album can't possibally get more then a 2, I would give it a solid 1 or less .
22.03.2007 - 02:38
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Thar she is lads...the most hated album of all time. I dont think this even needed a review, but you did a good job at tearing it apart anyways, good work!
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.03.2007 - 06:00
FTW
Account deleted
well lets put it this way, I liked the review, very well written as for their next album here are a few things that will or willnot be included.

1) It wont be another St.Anger. Metallica aren't stupid, plus they've stated it was just an experiment, as was The Loads.
2) St.Anger gives me hope that they are back to playing heavy music again, no more souther blue rock.
3)It is said that the new album will have alot of Master of Puppets influences. Yes MASTER OF PUPPETS.
4) They have a new bassist now, who will be active in the recording process,a new producer, one of the most famous producers in music, think what Rick Rubin has done for Slayer and finally a new lease on life. They have stated that they can have fun again, making music is no longer a chore but a passion.
Lets see that passion come out on the next album.
27.03.2007 - 12:33
AlexCromlech
Account deleted
Some Kind Of Monster is a alright song, Frantic is ohk, but in general I don't like St Anger.
29.03.2007 - 21:58
|Angela|
Account deleted
Um the rating is a bit too high. No seriously. This album was just the pitts. I just loved their first 4 but even the other albums after that had their moments. I didn't like a damn thing on this album. Frantic was ok only for the first listen.

Its a very well written review but I dont agree with it. Anyway as FTW says maybe the next album would be a bit better than this mess.
11.04.2007 - 18:28
shutthehellup
Account deleted
no matter what the album is like if you are a metallica fan your a metallica fan and just leave it at that all this pussy "Kirk couldn't play solos" or "it sounded like shit" well if you dont like it than listen to somebody else. i liked the album and im syked for the next album and if your all real metallica fans you should feel the same
11.04.2007 - 19:49
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.04.2007 at 18:28

no matter what the album is like if you are a metallica fan your a metallica fan and just leave it at that all this pussy "Kirk couldn't play solos" or "it sounded like shit" well if you dont like it than listen to somebody else. i liked the album and im syked for the next album and if your all real metallica fans you should feel the same

I disagree abit with you here, just 'cos you're a fan, you shouldn't "eat the album raw", you should still be critical to it (says a guy that listens to all of Metallicas albums).
Just 'cos your favourite band launches a record, doesn't mean you have to like it to be "a true fan", a true fan in my opinion is still critical to his favourite band, 'cos after all, we all have our independent opinions(and tastes).
I consider myself a Metallica fan, even still if I think St.Anger is the worst piss Metallica has done, 'cos quite frankly, it is.

YES it sucks that Kirk couldn't play solos, and yes "Purify" DOES sound shit in my opinion, but I'm still excited for the next Metallica release, and their concerts, just cos I dislike their one album, doesn't mean I'm a "less fan" than you, and I bet that most people writing here like atleast 2-4 of Metallicas' albums, otherwise I don't see the point in writing here (unless you really really really hate the album).

I call myself a real Metallica fan, but I'm not narrow-minded either, cheers!
(waits for the newest Metallica album to be released).

(sorry if the text is "messy", was in a hurry while writing).
15.05.2007 - 15:44
heavy_hr
Account deleted
The album is shit. From the drums, vocals, playing... Great review man, very comprehensive and interesting to read. In my opinion you gave all the best descriptions for specific parts. As great Metallica fan, I couldn't find 5% positive things as you did. Very sad.

And yes, I'm still excited for the next Metallica release, but surely I won't buy it, as fortunately didn't buy this one. Because it would have been in a garbage already the first day.

Hits total: 23436 | This month: 36