02. Boiling Blood
03. The War Cult
04. Villa Vampiria
05. Sigma Enigma
06. The Art Of Immolation
07. Salt In Your Wounds
08. Soul Sweeper
09. Serpent King

Holland death metallers God Dethroned are back with their seventh studio album, entitled "The Toxic Touch", which was recorded and mixed at the Soundlodge Studio in Leer (Germany) by Jörg Uken (www.soundlodge.de) and mastered by Darius van Helfteren at Wisseloord Mastering Studio (Holland). This new effort features two new members, who joined after the 2004 album, entitled "The Lair Of The White Worm". God Dethroned doesn't seem to have lost its identity even after Henk "Henke" Zinger (bass) and Isaac Delahave (guitars) have joined the band. On the contrary, the God Dethroned members have created a powerful statement with this album, evolving musically and bringing something quite different to all their previous releases.

After only one listening, the first impression is the musical evolution on this new album. God Dethroned have toned down the speed a tad, turned up the melody, giving to this latest release a Gothenburg melodic death metal sound. As I said, the tempo is more slow compared to their previous efforts, but still extreme, full of aggressiveness - plenty of blast beats and waves of crushing guitar riffs. Isaac's and Henri's guitar work is impressive and ranges from simple but effective thrash riffs to more complex riffs and solos, giving to "The Toxic Touch" a large panel of variations, both musically and emotionally, on songs like "Hating Life", "On Wings Of Pestilence" or "Typhoid Mary". One of the more brutal songs from the album is "Macabre World", a track containing raging guitar riffs, killer vocals, blast beats, but always with a melodic side as the whole album. "The Toxic Touch" also contains the atmospheric instrumental song "Away From Emptiness" which defines God Dethroned's sound evolution well - more mid-tempo and melodic. The other important point of "The Toxic Touch" is that the new orientation of the band doesn't focus only on the music, but shows in the themes too. Lyrics show a tendency to move away from the classical anti-Christian odes and focus on more social and personal subjects, showing that God Dethroned is trying to refresh their ideas and their whole style.

With "The Toxic Touch", God Dethroned are even more determined to intoxicate us with their sound by presenting speedy riffs with high quality death metal vocals, accompanied by melodic parts, obsessive groove and catchy moments. "The Toxic Touch" is still brutal enough, but the songs are much catchier with fewer blast beats and more groove, compared to the band's previous work. That might disappoint die-hard fans, but on the other hand, their sound's evolution leads to a more accessible album and possibly to a wider audience.

Highlights: 'Hating Life', 'On Wings Of Pestilence', 'Away From Emptiness' and 'Macabre World'.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by White Winter Sun | 11.04.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 59 users
15.04.2008 - 12:03
Rating: 10
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Hey it's great to see someone else with an appreciation for this album It's one of my top 10 ever. I never really cared much for older material from the band, though I do like some of the beginning tracks off their 2004 release as well. This album, is that perfect mix of melody and extreme sides - and you are right, they have lyrically evolved as well, and finally sing about something with a personal touch. The Typhoid Mary concepts are so well done!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
16.04.2008 - 12:59
Rating: 9
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Written by Jason W. on 15.04.2008 at 12:03

Hey it's great to see someone else with an appreciation for this album It's one of my top 10 ever. I never really cared much for older material from the band, though I do like some of the beginning tracks off their 2004 release as well. This album, is that perfect mix of melody and extreme sides - and you are right, they have lyrically evolved as well, and finally sing about something with a personal touch. The Typhoid Mary concepts are so well done!

Yes I like a lot this album (all God Dethroned's albums to be honest ).
As you said, this album is the perfect mix of melody and extreme sides and shows something different, what led me to make this review.
29.10.2013 - 00:09
Rating: 7
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I found this album as one of their weakest. one of it's main problems is it's production which is generic and not so good as in other albums. also i didnt find not even one "amazing" song. i mean there are nice moments as macabre world, the great riff on hating life and the catchy (but repetitive) typhoid mary but generally this album lacks the "flame" that other albums of GD have managed to create.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
29.10.2013 - 00:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Deadmeat on 29.10.2013 at 00:09

I found this album as one of their weakest. one of it's main problems is it's production which is generic and not so good as in other albums. also i didnt find not even one "amazing" song.

And yet you rate
Kreator - Hordes Of Chaos
Kreator - Enemy Of God
Kreator - Violent Revolution

and yet you rate all of those albums as the best ever and they suffer the exact same problems as what you accuse thid God Dehtroned album of (not that I disagree with your comment ont this album)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.10.2013 - 10:36
Rating: 7
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2013 at 00:52

Written by Deadmeat on 29.10.2013 at 00:09

I found this album as one of their weakest. one of it's main problems is it's production which is generic and not so good as in other albums. also i didnt find not even one "amazing" song.

And yet you rate
Kreator - Hordes Of Chaos
Kreator - Enemy Of God
Kreator - Violent Revolution

and yet you rate all of those albums as the best ever and they suffer the exact same problems as what you accuse thid God Dehtroned album of (not that I disagree with your comment ont this album)

well you remember me after so many years haha! it's a matter of taste dude.
1. you cant deny that enemy of god has an great production. also viol revolution has a very good one. and hordes of chaos has a different production that is not sooo great, ok i agree with that.

2. "amazing" songs? i find (cause it's a matter of taste) that all those albums have many great songs. i mean most of the songs are great on my ears and in every album i find 3-5 amazing songs.

3. also what i said about god dethroned's production is that it isnt as good as on their previous albums. in kreators albums happensthe oposite as they turned into thrash again and tried having a nice production.

finally, i've said before that i find hordes of chaos not so great as the other 2 albums. so when i stated this i went back and listened to it to judge-rate it once again. though i reallize it's not a 10 i cant rate it a nine cause i like it more than my average 9 albums....

---> also i never rated those "as the best ever" but as my favorites! never forget that...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!

Hits total: 5277 | This month: 11