04. Bemoan The Martyr
05. Leach
06. The Plagued
07. Resurgence Of An Empire
08. Anoint The Dead
09. Contemplate Regicide
10. Bound Dead
11. (Exit) The Few

In what is likely to be the single most shocking event on the scene this year, longtime brutal death metal stalwarts Cryptopsy decided to reinvent themselves as crazy jacks-of-all-trades for their latest release, The Unspoken King. Nevertheless, this album shouldn't get buried by the chaos that will certainly ensue amongst old fans and other more orthodox death metal types. This is because it is just too good to be mired by ridiculous genre discussions.

Yes, what you heard is true - this album contains clean vocals, melodeath leads, funky bass lines, breakdowns augmented by brass instruments, jazzoid guitar solos, samples and keyboards (amongst other things). At the same time, the band doesn't abandon their brutal side at all. The difference is that within the more interesting and dynamic song structures that their expanded means allow for, Cryptopsy now doesn't dwell in brutality for its own sake. The enjoyment of this music doesn't come from the novelty of how ridiculously technical and violent it is. Instead, an appreciation of how these traits are incorporated into concise and impressive musical pieces comes to the fore and the Canadians clearly have the song writing chops to make it all work together in a memorable way. Bands like Protest The Hero or SikTh also make unpredictable ADD-metal that jumps all over the place stylistically; however, thanks to their musical pedigree and experience with chaotic song writing, Cryptopsy simply do it better and with more class.

The Unspoken King is unpredictable but flows well together. As songs like "Leach" and "The Plagued" demonstrate, the key to making this album work lies in memorable motives and the remarkably innovative ways of fusing them together. "The Plagued" is actually, as difficult as that is to believe, an extreme metal ballad. Of particular note is also the song "Bound Dead", which mixes death metal with vocal melodies recalling Alice In Chains with a finesse that can only be described as frightening.

Bands like Dillinger Escape Plan, Between The Buried And Me and Divine Heresy take notice: Cryptopsy is giving you a run for your money. Music should be evaluated based on how successful a band is at achieving the given aim of a collection of songs. The Unspoken King passes this with flying colors. One thing is for sure: this band sure does have balls.

Written on 17.04.2008 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
Cryptopsy are a household name when it comes to brutal death metal, and for five albums over the past fourteen years that is exactly what they delivered. Until now. Lord Worm is out of the band, replaced by metalcore vocalist Matt McGachy and for the first time in the band's history a keyboard player, Maggie Durand, is introduced to the ranks. Musically Cryptopsy are a completely different band, shedding their brutal death metal skins and wriggling towards the metalcore whilst still keeping some technical death metal ties.

Read more ››
published 22.04.2008 | Comments (16)

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 122   Visited by: 503 users
17.04.2008 - 22:03
Stuart
MiseryKing
I can't wait to hear this album, I'm really looking forward to it, i always knews these guys had it in them to one day be able to compose really good music, irrespective of genre, and hey its the same old story, everytime some band grows a little or changes a bit their fans nail them to wall. only to be expected and yes very close-minded. shows up that silly term "metalhead" again and again. I'm surprised that we have not had a comment saying that they are no longer "true".
17.04.2008 - 22:06
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by totaliteraliter on 17.04.2008 at 21:40

Written by jupitreas on 17.04.2008 at 20:58
Noone told you to put them down. As for Cryptopsy, their attempt at the style is well executed. The album has good songwriting. It is definitely innovative on a technical level, although not really on a stylistic one. Oh wait... Didnt I already state this IN THE REVIEW. Dont people read the review that they are commenting on?

Skimmed it over, reviews on this site tend to be a little fluffy. Didn't even notice you wrote it. How is it technically innovative?

Bottom line, even if it is well-executed, fuck it. We all know what Cryptopsy's motivations are, and we've seen how creatively bankrupt they are without Lord Worm's vision to tie the spazz together. There's a million bands doing this better and more honestly. I only object to idiots playing the open-minded card in this case, and you lauding them for having the "balls" to change their sound to something hip and trendy. They haven't fooled me, at least.

^^^^ is to "true" to be fooled.
17.04.2008 - 22:31
totaliteraliter
Written by Stuart on 17.04.2008 at 22:03

I can't wait to hear this album, I'm really looking forward to it, i always knews these guys had it in them to one day be able to compose really good music, irrespective of genre, and hey its the same old story, everytime some band grows a little or changes a bit their fans nail them to wall. only to be expected and yes very close-minded. shows up that silly term "metalhead" again and again. I'm surprised that we have not had a comment saying that they are no longer "true".

Whoever decided that "close-minded" meant "unwilling to waste time listening to trend-hopping sellout bands" was an even bigger fool than you, sir.

Written by jupitreas on 17.04.2008 at 21:56

These comments are for the review, dont post here if you havent even read it.

I have read it. Now can you answer my question? How is it technically innovative?
17.04.2008 - 22:36
Herzebeth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.04.2008 at 12:05

I think that this album will show how close-minded metalfans actually are. I am sure that most will not accept the fact that this is a GREAT album. Only because of the name Cryptopsy which is attached to it.

This really is Cryptopsy's BEST album EVER

I don't see how me not liking this album makes me close minded....I mean I listen to Sigur Rós for example lol...still I think this is maybe Cryptopsy's worst work ever...

I can see how people like you and maybe Collin and Jupi say this is oh so marvelous, I understand you guys liking this kind of changes and experimentation, but I guess my point is, if Cryptopsy was already a great BDM band why fixing their scheme?

the bottom line is...this album is still an average piece, bands like The Dillinger Escape Plan, Cephalic Carnage, Ion Dissonance, etc. do this kind of music 10 times better than Cryptopsy....AND THAT'S THE MAIN REASON WHY I SAY THIS IS AN UTTER PIECE OF SHIT!

I do like this genre, but I think is actually ridiculous to see this band going for it and failing miserably
----
17.04.2008 - 22:45
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
Written by Herzebeth on 17.04.2008 at 22:36

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.04.2008 at 12:05

I think that this album will show how close-minded metalfans actually are. I am sure that most will not accept the fact that this is a GREAT album. Only because of the name Cryptopsy which is attached to it.

This really is Cryptopsy's BEST album EVER

I don't see how me not liking this album makes me close minded....I mean I listen to Sigur Rós for example lol...still I think this is maybe Cryptopsy's worst work ever...

I can see how people like you and maybe Collin and Jupi say this is oh so marvelous, I understand you guys liking this kind of changes and experimentation, but I guess my point is, if Cryptopsy was already a great BDM band why fixing their scheme?

the bottom line is...this album is still an average piece, bands like The Dillinger Escape Plan, Cephalic Carnage, Ion Dissonance, etc. do this kind of music 10 times better than Cryptopsy....AND THAT'S THE MAIN REASON WHY I SAY THIS IS AN UTTER PIECE OF SHIT!

I do like this genre, but I think is actually ridiculous to see this band going for it and failing miserably

I'd say it is better than Dillinger's latest album and on par with the other bands you mentioned. Nevertheless, your reasoning behind disliking this album is definitely far better than that of a lot of people
17.04.2008 - 22:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
I am not saying that not liking it is close minded. I am calling everyone that isn't giving this album a farir chance close-minded. And that seems to be the case with most people replying here.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.04.2008 - 22:53
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
Written by totaliteraliter on 17.04.2008 at 22:31

I have read it. Now can you answer my question? How is it technically innovative?

Its just how the songs flow, how they are constructed etc. Also, the drum playing is inventive in many instances, particularly where fills are concerned. The various twin vocal approaches are also inventive, if not particularly original. The use of samples etc (like the brass mentioned in the review) is also interesting. Basically, how the instruments interact in order to make the songs sound interesting ie. innovative in a technical way. This is not something that one could really explain fairly without getting into a purely musicological analysis; however, it should be pretty obvious after listening closely.
17.04.2008 - 22:54
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Inlé on 17.04.2008 at 19:31

I would say the opposite. A lot of people will force themselves to like this one but will write off similar just because this has the name "Cryptopsy". If people like this then they'll like pretty much all of metalcore.

I think that both version exists. To take In Flames as an example - a lot of people might have forced themselves to like, lets say, STYE just becuse it was relesed by their favourite band, while some other people "decided" that In Flames was going in the wrong direction when they first heard with RTR and therefore disliked STYE without even listening closer to it.
(This might not have to do with the review, but I suppose it would if I've used Cryptopsy as an example instead - unfortunately I haven't listen to much of their discography=
17.04.2008 - 23:21
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Stuart on 17.04.2008 at 22:03

Written by totaliteraliter on 17.04.2008 at 22:31

Whoever decided that "close-minded" meant "unwilling to waste time listening to trend-hopping sellout bands" was an even bigger fool than you, sir.

No, simply bands and people are bound to eventualy grow and try new things. Long term fans find this a difficult reality to deal with. This is not the fault of the band simply the stagnancy of the fan. You say that even if its well executed you simply don't care and that's because you have a preconcieved idea of what YOU would like them to sound like. If it's a shit album and you don't like it fair enough. But give it a chance on its merits. I have never heard this album but intend to simply because of what I've read about it makes it sound really interesting. Maybe I will come back and say that it's terrible but at least I've given it a fair chance something many people have not.
17.04.2008 - 23:22
totaliteraliter
Written by Stuart on 17.04.2008 at 23:01
No, simply bands and people are bound to eventualy grow and try new things. Long term fans find this a difficult reality to deal with. This is not the fault of the band simply the stagnancy of the fan. You say that even if its well executed you simply don't care and that's because you have a preconcieved idea of what YOU would like them to sound like.

I don't care what they sound like. I am only interested in listening to them if they have creativity and integrity (things they have lacked for over a decade).

Written by jupitreas on 17.04.2008 at 22:53
Its just how the songs flow, how they are constructed etc. Also, the drum playing is inventive in many instances, particularly where fills are concerned. The various twin vocal approaches are also inventive, if not particularly original. The use of samples etc (like the brass mentioned in the review) is also interesting. Basically, how the instruments interact in order to make the songs sound interesting ie. innovative in a technical way. This is not something that one could really explain fairly without getting into a purely musicological analysis; however, it should be pretty obvious after listening closely.

Sounds like minor things to me, really. These aren't the kind of things I care about in music generally; what Cryptopsy may be doing technically right isn't enough to detract from the corrupt foundation their music is being based on. That's what should be focused upon, not the fresh coat of paint on this rotting corpse... but carry on fans, us more discerning listeners will move along towards music with merit.
17.04.2008 - 23:28
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
Written by totaliteraliter on 17.04.2008 at 23:22

Sounds like minor things to me, really. These aren't the kind of things I care about in music generally; what Cryptopsy may be doing technically right isn't enough to detract from the corrupt foundation their music is being based on. That's what should be focused upon, not the fresh coat of paint on this rotting corpse... but carry on fans, us more discerning listeners will move along towards music with merit.

It is impressive that you apprently know Flo and co. personally to make that sort of claim. Anyway, at least you conceded that "these arent the kind of things I care about in music generally", which is fair enough.
17.04.2008 - 23:36
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by totaliteraliter on 17.04.2008 at 23:22

Written by Stuart on 17.04.2008 at 23:01
No, simply bands and people are bound to eventualy grow and try new things. Long term fans find this a difficult reality to deal with. This is not the fault of the band simply the stagnancy of the fan. You say that even if its well executed you simply don't care and that's because you have a preconcieved idea of what YOU would like them to sound like.

I don't care what they sound like. I am only interested in listening to them if they have creativity and integrity (things they have lacked for over a decade).

Written by jupitreas on 17.04.2008 at 22:53

Well if you think integrity and creativity means rehashing the same ideas and concepts every single album I think you should be looking these words up in the dictionary. The same kind of albums year in and year out don't show any creativity whatsoever simply a lack evolution. If it's a matter of if isn't broken don't fix it attitude, then we will never hear anything new and exciting from anyone, hell we'd still be listening to cave men banging rawhide drums.
17.04.2008 - 23:43
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
"Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics - if you win you're still retarded.
18.04.2008 - 00:30
Stigmatized
lulz @ Metal Archives reviews thus far. 6 reviews with an average of 4%.
18.04.2008 - 00:36
totaliteraliter
Written by jupitreas on 17.04.2008 at 23:28
It is impressive that you apprently know Flo and co. personally to make that sort of claim

Just making conclusions based on the evidence available.

Written by Stuart on 17.04.2008 at 23:36
Well if you think integrity and creativity means rehashing the same ideas and concepts every single album I think you should be looking these words up in the dictionary. The same kind of albums year in and year out don't show any creativity whatsoever simply a lack evolution. If it's a matter of if isn't broken don't fix it attitude, then we will never hear anything new and exciting from anyone, hell we'd still be listening to cave men banging rawhide drums.

Yes I think integrity and creativity mean rehashing the same ideas and concepts every single album. :

Cryptopsy had two classic albums, BMF & NSV. The second was a dramatic expansion upon and culmination of the first (not a rehash, thankfully). I don't want albums that sound like those, I don't want NSV every year, I don't care if they turn into a synthpop band, all I want albums are that have the same level of spirit and honesty and creativity. Which they have failed to deliver since 1996. I therefore had zero hopes for this album, and I got the mediocrity I expected. What I object to is the people who eat up novelty and praise this album as if it's the first worthwhile thing they've done. People who are easily impressed and quick to brag about how open-minded they are are only fooling themselves.
18.04.2008 - 02:22
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Baz Anderson on 17.04.2008 at 11:54

as far as I am concerned this is not Cryptopsy

Agreed, when I buy I Cryptopsy album this is not what I want to hear. I don't think I'd be into this music even if it didn't have the Cryptopsy name on it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.04.2008 - 06:21
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Well, I've never been excited by anything Cryptopsy has done, so I'm certainly not coming in as a long-time fan. But the style change is a really interesting one, and I think the band succeeds in doing what it set out to do, write a brutal death / metalcore album. But, while I find the entire CD very cohesive and well executed, it doesn't mean I find it particularly interesting either, because I feel like I've heard everything on this CD done before by other bands. Cryptopsy does it good, or even equally as good as previous bands, but there isn't much innovation here into the genre. After listening to it a couple of times, I find myself trying to figure out what the point of the album is, except to say, yes we're great musicians and can switch genres on a whim and do it well, but after the initial "ooh" wears off, what's left?

In the end, I find the album soulless but a good listen. But so many bands have done this before, so it's really just a solid genre-album with a vocalist with minimal idenity outside of sounding like what he's supposed to. I think The Dillinger Escape Plan is more interesting and predates this sound by several years, and a band like Between The Buried And Me has more emotional depth in just one or two tracks than this entire Cryptopsy album has.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
18.04.2008 - 10:02
Rating: 4
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Written by Jason W. on 18.04.2008 at 06:21

Well, I've never been excited by anything Cryptopsy has done, so I'm certainly not coming in as a long-time fan. But the style change is a really interesting one, and I think the band succeeds in doing what it set out to do, write a brutal death / metalcore album. But, while I find the entire CD very cohesive and well executed, it doesn't mean I find it particularly interesting either, because I feel like I've heard everything on this CD done before by other bands. Cryptopsy does it good, or even equally as good as previous bands, but there isn't much innovation here into the genre. After listening to it a couple of times, I find myself trying to figure out what the point of the album is, except to say, yes we're great musicians and can switch genres on a whim and do it well, but after the initial "ooh" wears off, what's left?

In the end, I find the album soulless but a good listen. But so many bands have done this before, so it's really just a solid genre-album with a vocalist with minimal idenity outside of sounding like what he's supposed to. I think The Dillinger Escape Plan is more interesting and predates this sound by several years, and a band like Between The Buried And Me has more emotional depth in just one or two tracks than this entire Cryptopsy album has.

My feelings exactly. I consider myself quite open-minded, but this album doesn't offer anything that hasn't been there before. In fact I'm quite disappointed that the keyboards didn't get any more emphasis.

I also agree with Baz that this shouldn't have been released under the banner of Cryptopsy, not because I mind a band I used to enjoy releasing an album that sticks out of the band's discography like a sore thumb, but because the songs of that album will find their way into the live sets. I planned to go to their concert in June, but I expected total ear-humiliating chaos, not some run-of-the-mill (though technically well-performed) metalcore.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
18.04.2008 - 11:52
Sunioj
I didn't find this album that special, really. Meh.
18.04.2008 - 18:31
szabss3
Account deleted
hmm...it is strange to see how people are throwing shit on each other...I'm curious about how many of you complaining have even heard this album..

I'm not about to defend the album, not that bad, but nothing special. But why to tell off others because you are on a certain opinion...I could never understand this.

Sorry for interrupting the row!
18.04.2008 - 18:46
Herzebeth
Written by Stigmatized on 18.04.2008 at 00:30

lulz @ Metal Archives reviews thus far. 6 reviews with an average of 4%.

now it's 10 reviews...the same average actually...

I guess there's still regular people in the world after all...

I'd give this album - something I guess...
----
19.04.2008 - 11:45
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I just downloaded this, and my biggest problem with the album is how often they stop the pace, destroying all momentum. I'm not talking about the spastic stop and go shit, I'm talking about all those gay slow interludes. The guitars are pretty boring too. The riffs aren't really catchy, and the solos aren't anything special. The album is better than I thought, but it's still easily their worst album. I'd give it around a 5. I hate it when bands go from releasing their best album to releasing their worst.

The singing is so goddamn bad. I'm listening to it as I type, and this singing faggot will not stop wailing. STOP SINGING ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGHHH HE'S NOT STOPPING. This album is just getting worse. The Plagued fucking sucks massive dick - I didn't think anything could be worse than Bemoan the Martyr. I'm tired of all these scene kids thinking that they know how to sing, even though they're so fucking off key. HEY MY HAIR IS SUPER PRETTY AND I CAN SING BECAUSE THE SCENE CHICKS DIG IT. Wait, and where are the keyboards? uuhhh one song had 2.3 seconds of a gay-sounding keyboard in Contemplate Regicide, but other than that, hiring a super trendy chick was completely pointless.

I need to play Once Was Not right now...
19.04.2008 - 12:44
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Not open minded? MS just loves to like everything.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
20.04.2008 - 20:04
Dimaension X
Account deleted
I really liked this album (I heard the "leaked" promo). I'm glad they decided to "re-invent" themselves and take this direction. However, the reviewer and I are apparently in the minority since the Cryptopsy forum has become the largest repository of hate mail that I have ever witnessed.

Metal fans are so conservative and stubborn. It's too bad. I think it's a really good album.
20.04.2008 - 21:03
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I love how it's either one side or the other. We have people completely hating the album, trashing it, ridiculously and really making metal heads look like dumb fucks who deserve discrimination (pyro you sound like a bitch). Then we have people who enjoy it, but claim whoever else doesn't enjoy it is a close-minded, stubborn ass. I love opinions. I really do. Hopefully I'll get a chance to listen to it and form my own useless one too.
----
The force will be with you, always.
20.04.2008 - 22:20
SteTech
After listening to it, it hasn't changed my opinion of Cryptopsy at all. I didn't really like them in the first place.
21.04.2008 - 01:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Clintagräm on 20.04.2008 at 21:03

I love how it's either one side or the other. We have people completely hating the album, trashing it, ridiculously and really making metal heads look like dumb fucks who deserve discrimination (pyro you sound like a bitch). Then we have people who enjoy it, but claim whoever else doesn't enjoy it is a close-minded, stubborn ass. I love opinions. I really do. Hopefully I'll get a chance to listen to it and form my own useless one too.

Really? Because I said I'd give it around a 5 - how's that not being in the middle? You're really generalizing here; maybe you should listen to it before posting a message more useless than our opinions, because you know...your's will ultimately be better, right?
21.04.2008 - 04:15
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Dangerboner on 21.04.2008 at 01:27

Written by Clintagräm on 20.04.2008 at 21:03

Really? Because I said I'd give it around a 5 - how's that not being in the middle? You're really generalizing here; maybe you should listen to it before posting a message more useless than our opinions, because you know...your's will ultimately be better, right?

Who knows? I said I would listen to it, and have heard a few pieces, so I guess I'll find out.
----
The force will be with you, always.
21.04.2008 - 05:52
Number Juan
Listening to it right now. Kinda boring. I'm not digging the vocalist all that much. The biggest question I have is: Why add a keyboardist if the keyboards are barely used? Anyway, I'll listen to it some more and see if it grows on me. Doubt it though.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
21.04.2008 - 20:24
Nazgal
Account deleted
I don't know. I've listened to the album a few times now, and I simply cannot enjoy this. It just really sounds strange.. The vocalist isn't really good either, IMO. He just doesn't fit into this band. I mean, come on, Cryptopsy is (was) Brutal/Technical Death Metal. Okay, I admit, some of the riffs in the album are good, but the vocals ruin it for me.

Hits total: 15650 | This month: 15