04. Bemoan The Martyr
05. Leach
06. The Plagued
07. Resurgence Of An Empire
08. Anoint The Dead
09. Contemplate Regicide
10. Bound Dead
11. (Exit) The Few

In what is likely to be the single most shocking event on the scene this year, longtime brutal death metal stalwarts Cryptopsy decided to reinvent themselves as crazy jacks-of-all-trades for their latest release, The Unspoken King. Nevertheless, this album shouldn't get buried by the chaos that will certainly ensue amongst old fans and other more orthodox death metal types. This is because it is just too good to be mired by ridiculous genre discussions.

Yes, what you heard is true - this album contains clean vocals, melodeath leads, funky bass lines, breakdowns augmented by brass instruments, jazzoid guitar solos, samples and keyboards (amongst other things). At the same time, the band doesn't abandon their brutal side at all. The difference is that within the more interesting and dynamic song structures that their expanded means allow for, Cryptopsy now doesn't dwell in brutality for its own sake. The enjoyment of this music doesn't come from the novelty of how ridiculously technical and violent it is. Instead, an appreciation of how these traits are incorporated into concise and impressive musical pieces comes to the fore and the Canadians clearly have the song writing chops to make it all work together in a memorable way. Bands like Protest The Hero or SikTh also make unpredictable ADD-metal that jumps all over the place stylistically; however, thanks to their musical pedigree and experience with chaotic song writing, Cryptopsy simply do it better and with more class.

The Unspoken King is unpredictable but flows well together. As songs like "Leach" and "The Plagued" demonstrate, the key to making this album work lies in memorable motives and the remarkably innovative ways of fusing them together. "The Plagued" is actually, as difficult as that is to believe, an extreme metal ballad. Of particular note is also the song "Bound Dead", which mixes death metal with vocal melodies recalling Alice In Chains with a finesse that can only be described as frightening.

Bands like Dillinger Escape Plan, Between The Buried And Me and Divine Heresy take notice: Cryptopsy is giving you a run for your money. Music should be evaluated based on how successful a band is at achieving the given aim of a collection of songs. The Unspoken King passes this with flying colors. One thing is for sure: this band sure does have balls.

Written on 17.04.2008 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
Cryptopsy are a household name when it comes to brutal death metal, and for five albums over the past fourteen years that is exactly what they delivered. Until now. Lord Worm is out of the band, replaced by metalcore vocalist Matt McGachy and for the first time in the band's history a keyboard player, Maggie Durand, is introduced to the ranks. Musically Cryptopsy are a completely different band, shedding their brutal death metal skins and wriggling towards the metalcore whilst still keeping some technical death metal ties.

Read more ››
published 22.04.2008 | Comments (16)

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 122   Visited by: 503 users
15.06.2012 - 13:59
Rating: 6
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Moosh666 on 15.06.2012 at 13:35

I think seeing trends made by corporations endorsing scenekids as a bad thing is very intelligent. We metalheads are not ignorant, we like different and new things, we however do not like poppy crap we've seen a million times. An except of musical progression in metal would probably be stuff like Crossover Thrash, or that banjo solo that the BLACK METAL BAND Taake did. Poppy emo crap is not musical progression, it's fucking selling out.

Hmmm yeah I don't hear any pop or emo hear and I'm not a Cryptopsy fan.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.06.2012 - 14:39
JD
Account deleted
Me neither.
15.06.2012 - 14:47
Moosh666
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.06.2012 at 13:59

Written by Moosh666 on 15.06.2012 at 13:35

I think seeing trends made by corporations endorsing scenekids as a bad thing is very intelligent. We metalheads are not ignorant, we like different and new things, we however do not like poppy crap we've seen a million times. An except of musical progression in metal would probably be stuff like Crossover Thrash, or that banjo solo that the BLACK METAL BAND Taake did. Poppy emo crap is not musical progression, it's fucking selling out.

Hmmm yeah I don't hear any pop or emo hear and I'm not a Cryptopsy fan.

Ok 'Scene' or 'Metalcore'. I don't concern myself with that kind of music so I don't know the specifics.
15.06.2012 - 15:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Moosh666 on 15.06.2012 at 14:47
Ok 'Scene' or 'Metalcore'. I don't concern myself with that kind of music so I don't know the specifics.

Is it lonely up there on your pedestal?

Honestly. You aren't any better than anyone else just because you listen to music and are apparently "above" listening to "crap" like pop music - or in this case, "scene music" or metalcore. Admittedly this album was poorly executed and a desperate attempt for a band to remain relevant, jumping on a bandwagon for seemingly no other purpose than to reap the rewards of popularity and thus, achieving a decent cash flow. But that doesn't mean metalheads are in any way inherently intelligent.

Are you trying to tell me you've never come across an ignorant metalhead?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.06.2012 - 15:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.06.2012 at 15:28

Honestly. You aren't any better than anyone else just because you listen to music and are apparently "above" listening to "crap" like pop music - or in this case, "scene music" or metalcore. Admittedly this album was poorly executed and a desperate attempt for a band to remain relevant, jumping on a bandwagon for seemingly no other purpose than to reap the rewards of popularity and thus, achieving a decent cash flow. But that doesn't mean metalheads are in any way inherently intelligent.

I love how the guys says metalheads like different and new things when he has Alestorm amongst his favourite bands or Be'lakor and quite a few other bands which at least in theeir current guise can't be considered different or new with any stretch of the imagination
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.06.2012 - 11:42
Moosh666

I have never seen myself as 'better' or more 'intelligent' than anyone else due to my music taste. On the contrary I'm a very stupid person (I've done a lot of stupid shit). But you just described exactly how I see this band now but you sounded like you pitied them? I guess that is fair enough, making music you probably don't like to gain cash can make you feel dirty. I respect your opinion sir.
18.06.2012 - 11:44
Moosh666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.06.2012 at 15:35

I love how the guys says metalheads like different and new things when he has Alestorm amongst his favourite bands or Be'lakor and quite a few other bands which at least in theeir current guise can't be considered different or new with any stretch of the imagination

That is the most hypocritical response I have ever received, you tell me off for judging others on musical taste (even though I was judging the band themselves) and then you insult my for my musical tastes? Are you an idiot or something?
19.06.2012 - 00:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Moosh666 on 18.06.2012 at 11:42
...you sounded like you pitied them? I guess that is fair enough, making music you probably don't like to gain cash can make you feel dirty. I respect your opinion sir.

Let me set the record straight and tell you that I have no reason to pity these guys. I haven't enjoyed a great deal of their material in the past few years, but this album is an absolute shit-fest. It's definitely considered a sell-out release and I have no problem with that description, being that they reduced their technicality to a minimum, gave up their brutality, and wrote some of the most banal deathcore put to CD.

The only problem I had with this thread is your ignorant response about "pop" and "scene" music regarding the album.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.06.2012 - 01:29
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 00:17

...you sounded like you pitied them? I guess that is fair enough, making music you probably don't like to gain cash can make you feel dirty. I respect your opinion sir.

Let me set the record straight and tell you that I have no reason to pity these guys. I haven't enjoyed a great deal of their material in the past few years, but this album is an absolute shit-fest. It's definitely considered a sell-out release and I have no problem with that description, being that they reduced their technicality to a minimum, gave up their brutality, and wrote some of the most banal deathcore put to CD.

The only problem I had with this thread is your ignorant response about "pop" and "scene" music regarding the album.

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Anyway, I heard the first track of this and quit.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.06.2012 - 15:15
Moosh666

Haha. Well Pop is short for 'Popular Music', Deathcore is one form of Popular music at the moment right? And majority of the musicians in this genre (not all I admit) look like scenekids. Hence why I used those terms, out of pure honesty, I don't give a shit about offending people, music is a fucking objective art form. It's not like I'm personally attacking these people.
19.06.2012 - 15:15
Moosh666
Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.06.2012 at 01:29

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Anyway, I heard the first track of this and quit.

Hahaha, that made my day man XD
19.06.2012 - 15:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Moosh666 on 19.06.2012 at 15:15
Haha. Well Pop is short for 'Popular Music', Deathcore is one form of Popular music at the moment right? And majority of the musicians in this genre (not all I admit) look like scenekids.

Popular music is reserved for the likes of Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Adele, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber... not deathcore bands. Sure the genre itself is a bit popular compared to others, but honestly heavy metal and power metal both have much wider audiences, so it's unfair to call deathcore a scenekid's genre when in reality more people listen to the likes of Nightwish and Children of Bodom.
----
19.06.2012 - 16:18
Moosh666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 15:49

Haha. Well Pop is short for 'Popular Music', Deathcore is one form of Popular music at the moment right? And majority of the musicians in this genre (not all I admit) look like scenekids.

Popular music is reserved for the likes of Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Adele, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber... not deathcore bands. Sure the genre itself is a bit popular compared to others, but honestly heavy metal and power metal both have much wider audiences, so it's unfair to call deathcore a scenekid's genre when in reality more people listen to the likes of Nightwish and Children of Bodom.

I guess you're right there (the pop part), but I see you missed how I admitted they don't all look like scenekids? And I never said only scenekids listen to it, fuck no, I have mates who like that shit too. Ok all loose ends tied up here? Or are you still pissed at my 'ignorant' opinion?
19.06.2012 - 16:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
I don't give a shit about offending people, music is a fucking objective art form.

Wtf does this mean? Every single art form is subjective, NOT objective.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.06.2012 - 16:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Moosh666 on 19.06.2012 at 16:18
I guess you're right there (the pop part), but I see you missed how I admitted they don't all look like scenekids? And I never said only scenekids listen to it, fuck no, I have mates who like that shit too. Ok all loose ends tied up here? Or are you still pissed at my 'ignorant' opinion?

I'm not pissed, and I do still think your opinion on deathcore is based on ignorance, but I suppose a lot of people hate on it just because the genre is gaining popularity and, as you pointed out, the majority of deathcore fans are scene kids.
----
19.06.2012 - 16:37
Moosh666
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.06.2012 at 16:28

I don't give a shit about offending people, music is a fucking objective art form.

Wtf does this mean? Every single art form is subjective, NOT objective.

Sorry, typo
19.06.2012 - 16:39
Moosh666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 16:33

Written by Moosh666 on 19.06.2012 at 16:18

I'm not pissed, and I do still think your opinion on deathcore is based on ignorance, but I suppose a lot of people hate on it just because the genre is gaining popularity and, as you pointed out, the majority of deathcore fans are scene kids.

What? No, I hate it because it sounds like fucking Pop Punk crap with whiny screaming and breakdowns added in, can't fucking stand it. I don't give a shit how popular something is, if I don't like it then I don't fucking like it.
19.06.2012 - 16:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Moosh666 on 19.06.2012 at 16:39
What? No, I hate it because it sounds like fucking Pop Punk crap with whiny screaming and breakdowns added in, can't fucking stand it. I don't give a shit how popular something is, if I don't like it then I don't fucking like it.

Okay champ calm down, it's just a discussion. If you're hearing pop punk (Blink-182, Sum 41, Simple Plan) in deathcore then I'm sorry to say you have a very odd sense of hearing. Yes the screams can sometimes come off as whiny, even though the focus is on either pig squeals and/or death metal growls, and yes there are boatloads of breakdowns, but deathcore has no ties whatsoever to pop punk. It's hard to believe you don't like it based purely on what it sounds like being that you think it sounds like the three bands I mentioned above rather than disliking it due to its popularity and teenage scene kid appeal.
----
19.06.2012 - 16:53
Moosh666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 16:43

Written by Moosh666 on 19.06.2012 at 16:39

Okay champ calm down, it's just a discussion. If you're hearing pop punk (Blink-182, Sum 41, Simple Plan) in deathcore then I'm sorry to say you have a very odd sense of hearing. Yes the screams can sometimes come off as whiny, even though the focus is on either pig squeals and/or death metal growls, and yes there are boatloads of breakdowns, but deathcore has no ties whatsoever to pop punk. It's hard to believe you don't like it based purely on what it sounds like being that you think it sounds like the three bands I mentioned above rather than disliking it due to its popularity and teenage scene kid appeal.

Well it's mainly the clean vocals they put in that sound Pop Punk-ish, and sometimes the riffs sound kind of like it, although those riffs are used fuckload more in Metalcore. I rarely hear any growling in the bands I've encountered but when I do they bark some shit, then scream it, then cliche boy band singing comes in, then breakdown. But that's pretty much how I made the connection, yes sounds rather ignorant but I hear what I hear. Maybe I'm thinking more of Metalcore (in terms of the clean vocals)?
19.06.2012 - 17:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Moosh666 on 19.06.2012 at 16:53
Well it's mainly the clean vocals they put in that sound Pop Punk-ish, and sometimes the riffs sound kind of like it, although those riffs are used fuckload more in Metalcore. I rarely hear any growling in the bands I've encountered but when I do they bark some shit, then scream it, then cliche boy band singing comes in, then breakdown. But that's pretty much how I made the connection, yes sounds rather ignorant but I hear what I hear. Maybe I'm thinking more of Metalcore (in terms of the clean vocals)?

I think you might be getting your genres mixed up, as you pointed out.

Here's an example of metalcore:

Here's an example of melodic metalcore:

And here's an example of deathcore:

Now here's an example of pop punk:

----
19.06.2012 - 17:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 17:00
Killswitch Engage

Man, this is awful. But yey for Converge... All Shall Perish is not that bad at all. I specially enjoyed their latest which I wrote for the awards.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.06.2012 - 17:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.06.2012 at 17:11
Man, this is awful. But yey for Converge... All Shall Perish is not that bad at all. I specially enjoyed their latest which I wrote for the awards.

A lot of melodic metalcore bands have given both metalcore and deathcore bad names, because people just lump it all together. Then they start thinking The Unspoken King is going to sound like a new Killswitch release, when the two are incredibly far apart in terms of sound.

As for All Shall Perish, I never really dug their sound, but it helps when you're one of the genre's pioneers... they were setting the trend at that point, not following it.
----
19.06.2012 - 17:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 17:15

As for All Shall Perish, I never really dug their sound, but it helps when you're one of the genre's pioneers... they were setting the trend at that point, not following it.

Aye, I'm not really a fan or anything... Just enjoy their latest and some old songs since I'm yet to hear their discography anyway. My favorite Deathcore band is Ion Dissonance and that band is probably not even deathcore! xD Well, their deathcore sound in their last two albums are obvious but there's still some other shizzle going on.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.06.2012 - 17:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.06.2012 at 17:19
My favorite Deathcore band is Ion Dissonance and that band is probably not even deathcore!

Well their death metal leaning is blatant, and they play technical metalcore. Their songs are composed with more thought and executed with a little more precision and effort than is traditional of metalcore - especially melodic metalcore and deathcore.
----
19.06.2012 - 17:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 17:22

Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.06.2012 at 17:19
My favorite Deathcore band is Ion Dissonance and that band is probably not even deathcore!

Well their death metal leaning is blatant, and they play technical metalcore. Their songs are composed with more thought and executed with a little more precision and effort than is traditional of metalcore - especially melodic metalcore and deathcore.

To me this is plain deathcore... just more intelligent than other band:

Okay, not plain... but at least 70%
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.06.2012 - 18:06
Moosh666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 17:00

Written by Moosh666 on 19.06.2012 at 16:53

I think you might be getting your genres mixed up, as you pointed out.

Here's an example of metalcore:

Here's an example of melodic metalcore:

And here's an example of deathcore:

Now here's an example of pop punk:

I've heard all these bands before, I've never cared especially for bands like All Shall Perish and The Black Dahlia Murder, bands that some mates of mine enjoy occasionally, Converge is also one of them. I still can't stand them, people seem to think just because the band is less known then let's say, Killswitch Engage, it means it's good. I've listened to all these bands you've mentioned with Mr. Doctor, and I personally can't stand any of it, I like what I like. Why can't anyone just stop shoving this shit down my throat?
19.06.2012 - 18:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Moosh666 on 19.06.2012 at 18:06
I still can't stand them, people seem to think just because the band is less known then let's say, Killswitch Engage, it means it's good.

I've listened to all these bands you've mentioned with Mr. Doctor, and I personally can't stand any of it, I like what I like. Why can't anyone just stop shoving this shit down my throat?

Again, you seem to focus on the popularity of a band rather than the sound. The purpose of the videos was pointing out the differences in sound, not to "force shit down your throat". I don't even like any of those tracks myself, with the exception of Converge, but I was trying to illustrate a point. My apologies for trying to oppress you with knowledge. Carry on.
----
19.06.2012 - 18:16
Moosh666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 18:11

Written by Moosh666 on 19.06.2012 at 18:06
I still can't stand them, people seem to think just because the band is less known then let's say, Killswitch Engage, it means it's good.

I've listened to all these bands you've mentioned with Mr. Doctor, and I personally can't stand any of it, I like what I like. Why can't anyone just stop shoving this shit down my throat?

Again, you seem to focus on the popularity of a band rather than the sound. The purpose of the videos was pointing out the differences in sound, not to "force shit down your throat". I don't even like any of those tracks myself, with the exception of Converge, but I was trying to illustrate a point. My apologies for trying to oppress you with knowledge. Carry on.

Sorry I got kind of overwhelmed, I get bugged too much by some mates to listen to Black Dahlia, Converge, All Shall Perish, etc even though I've already heard them a million times before and told the pricks that I don't like them. Knowledge however is my favourite food
19.06.2012 - 19:07
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Really good deathcore = Despised Icon

That is all.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.06.2012 - 10:49
kesh
Account deleted
Tend to download before i buy, wish i hadnt bothered. Bunch of french canadians gone mad. 2/10.

Theyve never even got close to there first album, None So Vile

Hits total: 15653 | This month: 18