01. Transilvanian Hunger
02. Over Fjell Og Gjennom Torner
03. Skald Av Satans Sol
04. Slottet I Det Fjerne
05. Graven Takeheimens Saler
06. I En Hall Med Flesk Og Mjød
07. As Flittermice As Satans Spys
08. En Ås I Dype Skogen

A cutting guitar, a bass that sounds like a buzzing of a wasp swarm, a shrill and dying voice, drums beating like chaos-tumult and a filthy production. This is the definition of pure black metal, the one of the renewal at the beginning of the 90's.

This resurrection has a name: Darkthrone, whose Transylvanian Hunger is their fourth opus, an album even faster and malicious than the previous ones. This opus has everything to become a cult: the lyrics, written by Fenriz and Varg (Burzum), and the sentence on the back cover that has brought up so many debates vaguely hinting of "Aryan Norwegian Black Metal", of course, without forgetting the unlimited potential of insanity in this work. With this piece Darkthrone have created a nearly perfect blackmetal pattern (some will say that A Blaze in the Northern Sky is better...) and many bands will try to recreate this atmosphere, but with no chance to ever near it.

Satan himself has certainly shed a tear facing so much genius - the art of regression and of musical purification, which is the climax of the beauty of evil...

Written by N K Monarch | 11.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 270 users
19.04.2008 - 07:22
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Amen to this review my friend! Short and direct, and a fair rate for one of the best black metal works. You've said everything, that's the definition of pure black metal.
I have enjoyed a lot ''A Blaze In The Northern Sky'', but this one really blow my mind, truly pure.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.04.2008 - 18:01
Rating: 10
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
maybe the best english skiller on forum
05.03.2009 - 23:37
Rating: 9
Slayer666

A neet and sweet little review, that says it all with a few scentences. Well done!
And well done Darkthrone!
30.08.2009 - 18:47
Rating: 10
HATHOR

Darkthrone at their finest
18.09.2009 - 11:12
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
One of the best pieces in genre
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.12.2010 - 20:17
Mikrokosmos
Account deleted
I totally disagree, this is one of the shittiest black metal ever imo. just wanted to point it out here
05.12.2010 - 00:39
RavenKing

Written by Guest on 04.12.2010 at 20:17

I totally disagree, this is one of the shittiest black metal ever imo. just wanted to point it out here

It has nothing technical. It's a minimalist album. But I think it's great in its own way.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
17.01.2011 - 20:04
Luneth
Account deleted
I don't think it's all that, however that doesn't take from the fact that its a really good black metal album.
18.01.2011 - 23:20
Rating: 4
ForeverDarkWoods

In my opinion, out of the Darkthrone black metal trilogy, this one is definitely the low point. A Blaze... is miles above this, and Under... is also quite a lot better.

I'd even go as far as to say that Panzerfaust beats this one.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
22.01.2011 - 22:12
RavenKing

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 18.01.2011 at 23:20

In my opinion, out of the Darkthrone black metal trilogy, this one is definitely the low point. A Blaze... is miles above this, and Under... is also quite a lot better.

I'd even go as far as to say that Panzerfaust beats this one.

I prefer ABITNS and UAFM to "Transylvanian Hunger" but surely not "Panzerfaust".
I don't like "Panzerfaust" at all. It marks the point at which Darkthrone started making those crappy Motorhead-esque songs I hate.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
16.10.2011 - 20:00
Night Sight

Masterpiece
the only great album that is perfect by darkthrone
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
06.09.2012 - 03:11
Rating: 8
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 04.12.2010 at 20:17

There are loads of albums better than it, but it paved the path for thousands of bands to come. What is your point exactly?
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
28.11.2016 - 15:28
Riccardo

You might not like black metal and, therefore, you might not like this record. But if you anyhow like black metal, you have to adore this record.
This is pure black metal feeling. 39 minutes after which your idea of extreme music will change forever.
07.10.2017 - 22:03
BetulaObscura

Good review! Short and to the point!

This album IS Black Metal.
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"

Hits total: 10017 | This month: 20