Metal Storm logo
Down

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 19.06.2006 - 08:28
Well, is anyone a fan of this bluesy, Rock/Metal "supergroup?" I, for one am. I really enjoy Southern sounding bands like Black Label Society, Alice in Chains (yes, I know they were from Seattle), Crowbar, Lynyrd Skynyrd, CCR (a bit) and the like. I enjoy their material from both albums, and as I sit here and listen to "Eyes of the South" on their myspace, I definitely need to pick up their albums. I have seen their debut at Music Warehouse before and when I get paid this Thursday, it's mine! Anyway, is anyone a fan? Really fanastic material.

By the way, I was never a huge Pantera fan, but Anselmo's vocals really impress me, not to mention just the awesome instrumentation. Wicked.
25.02.2009 - 09:18
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Lucas on 25.03.2007 at 00:56

The vocals of Phil are definatly perfect for this album! If they would've continued Pantera with this kind of vocals it surely wouldn't be as great.

(Old post I know, but hopefully you haven't changed your views). But I agree, I recently started becoming really interested in this band. I love the dirty southern rock vibe to it, and hopefully no 15 year olds form a lynch mob and hunt me down the following comment: I think its way better than Pantera. Not only does Phil sound much more natural here, but Rex seems to shine a hell of a lot more through this band than with Pantera, perhaps its the other musicians complimenting his style better, or perhaps because hes not drowned out by the Abbott brothers.

....I see torches and pitchforks coming over the horizon
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.03.2009 - 22:17
ringofedwin
Account deleted
I kinda miss superjoint ritual but this band will do.
30.07.2009 - 23:14
dublebass27
Account deleted
They're pretty awesome.... i just got my tickets from down's website and am set to go!!!! i heard they're pretty good!!! anyone else going?
02.08.2009 - 03:05
Bolt Thrower
Account deleted
Wow this thread is pretty old. All I will say to add to the discussion is that the first Down album shocked the hell out of me even though I first listened to it about 6 years after it came out. One of the greatest albums of the 90's that most people outside of the Metal community don't know about. It gets a weekly spin in my CD player at least.
03.08.2009 - 17:16
Bodom Night
Account deleted
God
graet topic
21.01.2011 - 13:26
Silent Jay
NOLA is a fantastic album and so is III. I like II, it's got some great songs on there, but to me and many people I've talked to about Down agree is their weakest link thus far. Missed the chance of seeing them live couple of times but it seems a new album is due for December this year so I'll hopefully catch them on tour this time around. I just love the heavyness and all out 'sabbing out'. Pure stoner doom with a sludge approch, love it! and don't worry, I too like this band much more than Pantera.
21.01.2011 - 16:11
ForeverDarkWoods
Down works when you are stoned off your ass, but not otherwise.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
09.02.2011 - 23:29
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
I'm really liking Down II every once in awhile. My guitarist is a huge fan of Pepper Keenan, so I see some value in the stuff he's doing in Down even more so than in CoC.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
15.05.2011 - 17:06
terrorist
I don't like Superjoint Ritual.I think this bands is better.If only they colud make another Nola that would be great.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
15.05.2011 - 17:13
JD
Account deleted
They are definitely better than Superjoint Ritual and Arson Anthem, but Not Pantera.