Metal Storm logo
Opeth

Original post

Posted by addiction, 22.04.2008 - 13:06
the last opeth thread reached the max of 500 posts....so this is the new one...:)
i've never started a topic before in about 4 years...but this is a good chance...:)
Opeth is a fantastic band, probably my favourite. i more or less like all their albums but i think i like blackwater park slightly more than the rest, maybe because it is the first one i ever listened to.
i am looking forwards to the new album and to see them live on the defenders of the faith tour in london in a few days!!!
anyway, you know the drill...discuss away....
30.08.2017 - 20:17
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by soltar777 on 30.08.2017 at 09:50

I wouldn't go as far as to say they're garbage, but I would say they need to go back to their roots, sorceress was a pretty big disappointment...

True. They are fucking up things by collaborating with or speaking to people like Steven Wilson, personally no offense to the guy but he is one of those that think their fart doesn't smell. And I am not blaming just the lack of heavy sound or harsh vocals because they did Damnation without them both and it still was stellar so buck up the songwriting I say.
01.09.2017 - 17:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by 3rdWorld on 30.08.2017 at 20:17

Written by soltar777 on 30.08.2017 at 09:50

I wouldn't go as far as to say they're garbage, but I would say they need to go back to their roots, sorceress was a pretty big disappointment...

True. They are fucking up things by collaborating with or speaking to people like Steven Wilson, personally no offense to the guy but he is one of those that think their fart doesn't smell. And I am not blaming just the lack of heavy sound or harsh vocals because they did Damnation without them both and it still was stellar so buck up the songwriting I say.

Well I would say they are garbage, its like metallica, no matter how heavy latest album is after all style and image changes band cant go back and even seeing boat bands live wont work, I woubt I would go to see Opeth live even whit old songs would be put on the table.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.09.2017 - 08:18
theembryo
I saw them live last year, it was good, as naturally (to me) they did a couple of the 'heavier' tunes from Sorceress. I do wish they would perform more off of Still Life, though...
21.03.2018 - 03:49
WayTooManyCDs
While I can understand why people like to name drop Steven Wilson in the "downfall of Opeth", I just don't think it's as relevant as people make it seem. To my knowledge, the only thing Wilson was directly responsible for was changing around the song order a bit on Heritage (which did badly upset the balance of the album, the music makes a lot more sense from beginning to end when you move The Devil's Orchard between Haxprocess and Famine where it belongs as everything builds to and falls off from that song). Beyond that, Akerfeldt has stated throughout his career his love for prog and how a lot of his inspiration comes from non-metal music. I think after he injured his voice with Bloodbath and his death vox lost a lot of their power he saw it as the right time to make the leap into the genre he had always wanted to make music for from the very beginning.
20.07.2018 - 20:51
Rishodi
Rishodi
Written by 3rdWorld on 30.08.2017 at 20:17

They are fucking up things by collaborating with or speaking to people like Steven Wilson, personally no offense to the guy but he is one of those that think their fart doesn't smell. And I am not blaming just the lack of heavy sound or harsh vocals because they did Damnation without them both and it still was stellar so buck up the songwriting I say.

That's an odd thing to say. Steven Wilson helped produce and mix Damnation, and also contributed backing vocals and performances on multiple instruments. He was involved in the same capacities with Blackwater Park and Deliverance, and also wrote the lyrics for Death Whispered a Lullaby. I think most Opeth fans can agree those three albums are masterpieces.
04.09.2018 - 16:23
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Rishodi on 20.07.2018 at 20:51

That's an odd thing to say. Steven Wilson helped produce and mix Damnation, and also contributed backing vocals and performances on multiple instruments. He was involved in the same capacities with Blackwater Park and Deliverance, and also wrote the lyrics for Death Whispered a Lullaby. I think most Opeth fans can agree those three albums are masterpieces.

Blackwater Park is a masterpiece, Damnation is OK, Deliverance is pretty good. 9.5/10, 6.5/10 and 7.5/10 are how I'd rate them as a pretty big Opeth fan. As far as Wilson's production goes, best I can do is quote Marcel: "The guy mixes music to the point where it all sounds lifeless".
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
21.02.2024 - 19:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
JETHRO TULL founder Ian Anderson will make a guest appearance on the next album from the Swedish progressive metal band OPETH.

----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing