Metal Storm logo
Opeth

Original post

Posted by addiction, 22.04.2008 - 13:06
the last opeth thread reached the max of 500 posts....so this is the new one...:)
i've never started a topic before in about 4 years...but this is a good chance...:)
Opeth is a fantastic band, probably my favourite. i more or less like all their albums but i think i like blackwater park slightly more than the rest, maybe because it is the first one i ever listened to.
i am looking forwards to the new album and to see them live on the defenders of the faith tour in london in a few days!!!
anyway, you know the drill...discuss away....
07.06.2011 - 05:34
rekkuza-

Written by advent on 05.06.2011 at 20:18

So any one have a low hopes for the new album

Meh, keep your expectations low, then no disappointment like the last time.
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
07.06.2011 - 12:03
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Heh, yeah no expectations. The best way to do it.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
07.06.2011 - 14:01
NyarlathoTim

Written by rekkuza- on 07.06.2011 at 05:34

You didn't like Watershed?? I thought it was a thousand times better than Ghost Reveries.
----
Burning Shadows - US Power Metal
Recently Vacated Graves - Zombie Metal
Isenmor - Folk Metal
07.06.2011 - 18:16
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Dudes, the new record will be freaking amazing; it the same time it will also suck balls; and despite all that, it will be quite mediocre.

I promise.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
07.06.2011 - 23:21
Storchillarn

I hope it's not anything like Damnation but I'm pretty sure it isn't. I think it will be really weird, as in 70's progressive/psychadelic, mixed with some really old-school metal riffing á la Sabbath. I've read that Mikael does some cool vocal stuff on the album, reaching new heights with his clean singing. If this is true and they've kept the weird stuff to a minimum I think I'll be most pleased.
08.06.2011 - 07:50
rekkuza-

Written by NyarlathoTim on 07.06.2011 at 14:01

Written by rekkuza- on 07.06.2011 at 05:34

You didn't like Watershed?? I thought it was a thousand times better than Ghost Reveries.

Well, to be honest, I was a little bit disappointed by the level of musicianship exhibited in Watershed compared to its predecessor. Watershed exudes a certain minimalism in its instrumental complexity, thereby putting more emphasis on the melodies and flow of the music, instead of technicalities. It is good music in its own way, but I certainly expected more from Opeth after Ghost Reveries and Damnation. I think, and I can't emphasize enough on the fact that music tastes are completely subjective, that in the aforementioned 2 albums, Opeth has woven intricate technical playing with aesthetically pleasing melodies. But in Watershed, the technical department left a lot to be desired. It is pretty music, I don't deny that. I listen to it very often. But I just expected more from Opeth. What do you think?
----
08.06.2011 - 10:13
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by rekkuza- on 08.06.2011 at 07:50

Well, to be honest, I was a little bit disappointed by the level of musicianship exhibited in Watershed compared to its predecessor. Watershed exudes a certain minimalism in its instrumental complexity, thereby putting more emphasis on the melodies and flow of the music, instead of technicalities. It is good music in its own way, but I certainly expected more from Opeth after Ghost Reveries and Damnation. I think, and I can't emphasize enough on the fact that music tastes are completely subjective, that in the aforementioned 2 albums, Opeth has woven intricate technical playing with aesthetically pleasing melodies. But in Watershed, the technical department left a lot to be desired. It is pretty music, I don't deny that. I listen to it very often. But I just expected more from Opeth. What do you think?

To me Opeth have never been about technicality. Opeth have always been about good although not commonplace songwriting. The music is quite progressive, and it was pretty much getting more so with each release. I never compared the technical element of Watershed to Ghost Reveries or Blackwater Park because, I guess, it has never been necessary. Watershed as it is for me might be Opeth's best album with amazing songs.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
08.06.2011 - 16:55
NyarlathoTim

Written by rekkuza- on 08.06.2011 at 07:50

Ghost Reveries sounded... forced to me. Particularly the middle of the CD: Atonement, Harlequin Forest, and Hours of Wealth. There are vocal lines that don't quite fit into the music here and there. And I don't find as many memorable parts of that CD as I do with others. That being said, there are a few amazingly awesome songs on there. Especially the first and last tracks.

Watershed, on the other hand, flows better, as you said. All the songs are equally interesting and memorable. What also probably helped was that I wasn't expecting it to be so amazingly good after Ghost Reveries.

Opeth has never put out a bad album though, so I'm not worried for the next one.
----
Burning Shadows - US Power Metal
Recently Vacated Graves - Zombie Metal
Isenmor - Folk Metal
08.06.2011 - 19:03
BloodTears
ANA-thema
All this worrying before the album is pointless anyway.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
08.06.2011 - 19:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by JÄY on 05.06.2011 at 10:10

I like their sound on watershed (wth is a watershed?) the best....gloomier....hope they continue this.

A dictionary is a man's best friend

here from the Oxford english Dictionary:
noun
1 an area or ridge of land that separates waters flowing to different rivers, basins, or seas. an area or region drained by a river, river system, or other body of water.
2 an event or period marking a turning point in a situation:
these works were a watershed in the history of music

British: the time after which programmes that are regarded as unsuitable for children are broadcast on television.

Origin:
early 19th century: from water + shed in the sense 'ridge of high ground' (related to shed), suggested by German Wasserscheide
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.06.2011 - 19:24
Daniell
_爱情_
The end of days is drawing near, Marcel is posting in an Opeth thread!
08.06.2011 - 19:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Daniell on 08.06.2011 at 19:24

I really do like Opeth a lot up to and including Damnation/Deliverance
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.06.2011 - 21:49
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Ahah Marcel's love for Opeth is underestimated!
----

My Instagram
08.06.2011 - 22:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BloodTears on 08.06.2011 at 21:49

Yep
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.06.2011 - 22:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.06.2011 at 22:11

Written by BloodTears on 08.06.2011 at 21:49

Yep

heheh yeah I guess I underestimated it as well, I had the same reaction when I saw your comments on Xasthur related thread or when you told me you liked Reroute To Remain. For some weird reason I never thought you liked those things

I thni same applies for me... I really like Opeth up and including D/D
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.06.2011 - 23:24
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.06.2011 at 19:41

Written by Daniell on 08.06.2011 at 19:24

I really do like Opeth a lot up to and including Damnation/Deliverance

I knew there was some reason left in that doom-addled brain of yours
09.06.2011 - 18:43
gopherhawk2@gmail.co

That new art has to be a joke right? I like the shout out to the 70 prog rockers but still guys.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
11.06.2011 - 03:41
MeloDeathViking

I'm really looking forward to this new album. I loved Watershed, but it I'm hoping for the inclusion of more harsher vocals. Also, Watershed seemed to get off track every now and then.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
11.06.2011 - 20:07
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by MeloDeathViking on 11.06.2011 at 03:41

I'm really looking forward to this new album. I loved Watershed, but it I'm hoping for the inclusion of more harsher vocals. Also, Watershed seemed to get off track every now and then.

Harsher vocals as in more growls? That appears to be off.
----

My Instagram
12.06.2011 - 07:44
MeloDeathViking

Written by BloodTears on 11.06.2011 at 20:07

Yeah, growls is what I meant. If I remember correctly, only 3 of the 7 songs had growls. I think their strongest material is when they have both clean vocals and growls.
----
12.06.2011 - 09:51
rekkuza-

Oh dear, I love Akerfeldt's growls!
----
13.06.2011 - 12:49
Storchillarn

I hope they'll have at least one guitar solo on par with the ones in Windowpane.
13.06.2011 - 17:53
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by MeloDeathViking on 12.06.2011 at 07:44

Yeah, growls is what I meant. If I remember correctly, only 3 of the 7 songs had growls. I think their strongest material is when they have both clean vocals and growls.

I hope there will be less growls. Akerfeldt is such a talented vocalist, I'm sure he can find a way to sing more harshly than his clean vocals, and less growly at the same time.
13.06.2011 - 18:58
MeloDeathViking

Written by Daniell on 13.06.2011 at 17:53

Written by MeloDeathViking on 12.06.2011 at 07:44

I hope there will be less growls. Akerfeldt is such a talented vocalist, I'm sure he can find a way to sing more harshly than his clean vocals, and less growly at the same time.

I wouldn't mind hearing something that falls in the between. I just won't want all clean vocals again. He definitely has one of the best voices in the business, but I think that also includes his harsh vocals.
----
15.06.2011 - 21:33
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Mikael quote from Bonnaroo:

"there are a lot of different genres here yeah? its not very usual for a band like us here i guess"

Opeth... opening for Lil Wayne
28.06.2011 - 16:41
Warman
Erotic Stains
I just read on Wikipedia that there will be no growls at all on the album. I really don't know what to think. This could either turn out to be a new Windowpane or maybe the most brilliant thing they've done.
----
28.06.2011 - 17:25
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Warman on 28.06.2011 at 16:41

I just read on Wikipedia that there will be no growls at all on the album. I really don't know what to think. This could either turn out to be a new Windowpane or maybe the most brilliant thing they've done.

you back on MS? :O

btw Windowpane is actually brilliant.
I loved Watershed, despite the haters, and wouldn't mind another Damnation. I totally trust their ideas, they have still to do wrong.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
28.06.2011 - 17:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Nah, they did wrong with Watershed too many wanking moments (still quite good on the wank-free songs)
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.06.2011 - 17:31
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Elio on 28.06.2011 at 17:25

Written by Warman on 28.06.2011 at 16:41

you back on MS? :O

btw Windowpane is actually brilliant.
I loved Watershed, despite the haters, and wouldn't mind another Damnation. I totally trust their ideas, they have still to do wrong.

I of course meant Damnation, not Windowpane (which is a great song, of course). What I meant is that I do not want another Damnation, one is enough.

And I've always been here. Just haven't had the time to post anything the last year. My university studies have taken up all my time. Who knew that you had to learn the whole history of the world, when studying to be a teacher in History and Swedish?
----
28.06.2011 - 17:46
Elio
Red Nightmare
Well, maybe Watershed is not among their very best albums, but would you consider it a bad album?

-Warman, you done with that mate?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.