Metal Storm logo
Opeth

Original post

Posted by addiction, 22.04.2008 - 13:06
the last opeth thread reached the max of 500 posts....so this is the new one...:)
i've never started a topic before in about 4 years...but this is a good chance...:)
Opeth is a fantastic band, probably my favourite. i more or less like all their albums but i think i like blackwater park slightly more than the rest, maybe because it is the first one i ever listened to.
i am looking forwards to the new album and to see them live on the defenders of the faith tour in london in a few days!!!
anyway, you know the drill...discuss away....
26.07.2011 - 23:15
Storchillarn
I like it. I think it will find it's own place among their albums. Basically every album has been special in some way but in the end they're all great.
27.07.2011 - 00:00
Drew23
This is wonderful track! It's not similar to their other works! And it's not similar to Damnation. It's other!

I think, the masterpiece is coming!
27.07.2011 - 00:11
Ivor
Staff
Written by Daniell on 26.07.2011 at 22:57

I already see crowds of fans outraged by this album. Where is growling, where is this, where is that? In their blind indignation they will not even notice whether the music is good or not. As for me, after 3 listens, I love this track. I will now stop listening to it so that I won't skip it while listening to the whole album, whenever I get my hands on it.

I make a point of not listening to the tracks from upcoming albums more than once. Spoils the fun later on. But I liked what I heard, I was waiting for somekind of a shift and it seems something is coming our way. However, I'm not sure if conclusions a la no growling can be drawn from this single track. I wouldn't mind it though, Mikael's got a wonderful singing voice. Anyways, I'm have a good feeling about this album. Watershed didn't quite stick with me as much as I thought it would.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on M
27.07.2011 - 00:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Yeah...Definitely not my thing. Lacks all of what I used to love about Opeth. Can't say I'm exactly disappointed, as it's apparent they've been heading in this direction for a while. Not particularly bad, I just don't think I could stomach an entire album of that.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.07.2011 - 00:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 27.07.2011 at 00:12

Yeah...Definitely not my thing. Lacks all of what I used to love about Opeth. Can't say I'm exactly disappointed, as it's apparent they've been heading in this direction for a while. Not particularly bad, I just don't think I could stomach an entire album of that.

I agree with this. Like... With every single sentence. I just couldn't find the right words XD. It explains the frustration I had with Opeth since Ghost Reveries Good stuff, I can't deny it... But I just can't enjoy it as much as I would really want to.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.07.2011 - 08:29
You could totally see this coming with how Ghost Reveries and Watershed had been progressing towards. I think it's great. Yeah, the lack of growls is a change, but some of my favourite Opeth songs don't have growls in them anyways, so....yeah. Can't wait.
27.07.2011 - 09:27
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I'm Lovin' It.

I like Ivor's idea, listen to it once, fight the inclination to listen to it again, more fun when the whole album is released.
27.07.2011 - 09:33
JCJen7
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.07.2011 at 00:18

Written by Doc G. on 27.07.2011 at 00:12

I agree with this. Like... With every single sentence. I just couldn't find the right words XD. It explains the frustration I had with Opeth since Ghost Reveries Good stuff, I can't deny it... But I just can't enjoy it as much as I would really want to.

I definately see where your coming from, but I can't possibly imagine being continually impressed with Opeth rehashing their Blackwater Park or MAYH ideas over 10 or so albums. I mean, that music is great, and in my opinion timeless, something I will listen to for years to come. However, I don't really need to hear 10 albums of Opeth cleverly and creatively combining death metal and progressive music. So, although I am pretty sure I won't like this particular album as much as anything from Morningrise-Damnation/Deliverance, I am still really looking forward to it.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
27.07.2011 - 11:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by JCJen7 on 27.07.2011 at 09:33

I definately see where your coming from, but I can't possibly imagine being continually impressed with Opeth rehashing their Blackwater Park or MAYH ideas over 10 or so albums. I mean, that music is great, and in my opinion timeless, something I will listen to for years to come. However, I don't really need to hear 10 albums of Opeth cleverly and creatively combining death metal and progressive music. So, although I am pretty sure I won't like this particular album as much as anything from Morningrise-Damnation/Deliverance, I am still really looking forward to it.

People misunderstand a lot of what I say about Opeth and just think I want the same albums over and over again which is NOT what I or Godin are saying at all.

Opeth is basically putting technical hability over atmosphere. Someone might disagree here but I just don't feel anything while listening to that stuff. There's not that elegant while still brutal at times atmosphere. You don't have to make 10 similar albums to do that. there were many moments like that on GR fortunately but only a few on Watershed and this song... I barely feel something.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.07.2011 - 11:44
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.07.2011 at 11:39

Written by JCJen7 on 27.07.2011 at 09:33

People misunderstand a lot of what I say about Opeth and just think I want the same albums over and over again which is NOT what I or Godin are saying at all.

Opeth is basically putting technical hability over atmosphere. Someone might disagree here but I just don't feel anything while listening to that stuff. There's not that elegant while still brutal at times atmosphere. You don't have to make 10 similar albums to do that. there were many moments like that on GR fortunately but only a few on Watershed and this song... I barely feel something.

I agree with you here on this. Its lost the typical opeth atmosphere. I'm going to wait for the full album to make up my mind though.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
27.07.2011 - 11:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Spirit Molecule on 27.07.2011 at 11:44

I'm going to wait for the full album to make up my mind though.

Exactly, I'm a shameless fanboy so I'm still going to buy everything they do... but complain about it like a whiny bitch
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.07.2011 - 11:49
Elio
Red Nightmare
Nah, I won't listen to it until the album comes out
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
27.07.2011 - 12:23
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Like many others before me, I have to say this sounds like Dexter Morgan to me too. Also, at about 3:50 I recognize a butchered version of the ending riff from Blackwater Park. It doesn't have the feeling of "how do they come up with this stuff" that I got from Still Life, Blackwater Park or some of the songs on Morningrise. This song is boring, not because it is different, not because it doesn't have growls, not because of any other reason besides the reason that it is boring.
27.07.2011 - 13:08
Slayer666
Prog rock, eh? Nice song, I sure like it better than 95% of Opeth's other stuff. Possibly because it's more straightforward and unpretentious.
How do all of you people feel that atmosphere in Opeth's older works, I'll never know.
27.07.2011 - 13:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 27.07.2011 at 13:08

How do all of you people feel that atmosphere in Opeth's newer works, I'll never know.

Fixed your post.

You're welcome.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.07.2011 - 13:42
Slayer666
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.07.2011 at 13:25

Written by Slayer666 on 27.07.2011 at 13:08

How do all of you people feel that atmosphere in Opeth's newer works, I'll never know.

Fixed your post.

You're welcome.

Dude, you're so totally duh for this.
27.07.2011 - 14:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 27.07.2011 at 13:42

Dude, you're so totally duh for this.

I'm duh.... and you are? Meh?

Vonpire would approve of this.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.07.2011 - 15:44
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Nah, he wouldn't. There's no Draconian in this thread.
27.07.2011 - 18:29
JD
Account deleted
History repeats itself
27.07.2011 - 19:51
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
after listening to the track, I think it Might turn out to be the first opeth I feel positive about =P
----
loves 小巫
28.07.2011 - 06:13
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I've never been able to get into Opeth but after hearing the new track, I find myself actually wanting to hear more.
28.07.2011 - 11:34
JD
Account deleted
seriously? Anyway good song, I like it.
28.07.2011 - 12:49
TheBigRossowski
Mikael said it would take an acquired taste to get into the album (if you're not into this stuff already). But the Dude is ugh, enjoying the new track, man. It's fuckin' interesting, man, fuckin' interesting. Now I don't want to hear anything else from the album until it comes out. In fact, I should slowly stay away from this thread so that I may avoid any fuckin' nihilists who have a leaked version!

Don't want to hear it from someone who downloads a leak before the release!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
28.07.2011 - 20:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Elio on 27.07.2011 at 11:49

what E said... while i'm not a big Opeth fan, generally speaking if a band i know i like (enough to be on my "i will certainly buy their albums" list) has an upcoming album, i'll avoid snippets and the leaks. did just that with the last Enslaved, Neurosis (wow that was long ago...) and i think it makes the first listen a bit more enjoyable to be completely surprised.

i did check out the Mastodon/Adult Swim new video simply because the video looked so awesome.

and not a huge Opeth honk, but the throwback cover art intrigued me enough that i'll likely by the album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.07.2011 - 05:42
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by BitterCOld on 28.07.2011 at 20:17

what E said... while i'm not a big Opeth fan, generally speaking if a band i know i like (enough to be on my "i will certainly buy their albums" list) has an upcoming album, i'll avoid snippets and the leaks. did just that with the last Enslaved, Neurosis (wow that was long ago...) and i think it makes the first listen a bit more enjoyable to be completely surprised.

i did check out the Mastodon/Adult Swim new video simply because the video looked so awesome.

and not a huge Opeth honk, but the throwback cover art intrigued me enough that i'll likely by the album.

Dude didn't you post the mastodon snippets Anyway I'm looking forward to that album way more than this, and the new yob as well. Damn their Prepare the ground track is fucking brilliant
----

Last fm
Don't click here
29.07.2011 - 05:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Spirit Molecule on 29.07.2011 at 05:42

Dude didn't you post the mastodon snippets Anyway I'm looking forward to that album way more than this, and the new yob as well. Damn their Prepare the ground track is fucking brilliant

i posted the Brent Hinds ad and bloopers.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.07.2011 - 05:55
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by BitterCOld on 29.07.2011 at 05:50

Written by Spirit Molecule on 29.07.2011 at 05:42

i posted the Brent Hinds ad and bloopers.

Haha my bad
----

Last fm
Don't click here
06.08.2011 - 07:07
Mothman
I have only listened to one of Opeth's albums: Ghost Reveries (2005). I remember that I thoroughly enjoyed it. My favorite song from that album was "The Grand Conjuration." I need to buy some more of their albums, but my limited budget and procrastination has kept me from considering the possibilities.
07.08.2011 - 14:46
Jirpo
Written by Mothman on 06.08.2011 at 07:07

I have only listened to one of Opeth's albums: Ghost Reveries (2005). I remember that I thoroughly enjoyed it. My favorite song from that album was "The Grand Conjuration." I need to buy some more of their albums, but my limited budget and procrastination has kept me from considering the possibilities.

Get Blackwater Park next!
10.09.2011 - 02:04
@gent_-_orange
They are in town in November and I am thinking of going to see them live, Can anyone who has seen them tell me if they are any good?