Metal Storm logo
Opeth

Original post

Posted by addiction, 22.04.2008 - 13:06
the last opeth thread reached the max of 500 posts....so this is the new one...:)
i've never started a topic before in about 4 years...but this is a good chance...:)
Opeth is a fantastic band, probably my favourite. i more or less like all their albums but i think i like blackwater park slightly more than the rest, maybe because it is the first one i ever listened to.
i am looking forwards to the new album and to see them live on the defenders of the faith tour in london in a few days!!!
anyway, you know the drill...discuss away....
10.09.2011 - 02:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by @gent_-_orange on 10.09.2011 at 02:04

They are in town in November and I am thinking of going to see them live, Can anyone who has seen them tell me if they are any good?

Twice and heck yeah they're good.
10.09.2011 - 10:29
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Of course they are good
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.09.2011 - 21:57
@gent_-_orange
Written by Guest on 10.09.2011 at 02:09

Written by @gent_-_orange on 10.09.2011 at 02:04

They are in town in November and I am thinking of going to see them live, Can anyone who has seen them tell me if they are any good?

Twice and heck yeah they're good.

Written by BloodTears on 10.09.2011 at 10:29

Of course they are good

Thanks, Just ordered my tickets, really looking forward to it.
12.09.2011 - 15:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Of course they are good

did yoou heard new album .....
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.09.2011 - 16:42
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Bad English on 12.09.2011 at 15:11

Of course they are good

did yoou heard new album .....

Yes, I have. But I'm waiting for the original album to really "listen" to it. Why?
----

My Instagram
12.09.2011 - 18:21
Ivor
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 12.09.2011 at 16:42

Yes, I have. But I'm waiting for the original album to really "listen" to it. Why?

Wanna bet he doesn't like it?

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on M
12.09.2011 - 19:23
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Ivor on 12.09.2011 at 18:21

Written by BloodTears on 12.09.2011 at 16:42

Wanna bet he doesn't like it?

I.

I was expecting that as well

It is kinda the general opinion for this album.
----

My Instagram
12.09.2011 - 22:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Of corse I dont like it its Nr 1 let down whit MDB this year, this is not Operh, if band continue, I hope they split , I wont botther spend SEk 120 or more to buy it I even wont bother open pear block and search for torrents to download it
----

apos;'
[image]
13.09.2011 - 00:43
Ivor
Staff
Written by Bad English on 12.09.2011 at 22:18

Of corse I dont like it its Nr 1 let down whit MDB this year, this is not Operh, if band continue, I hope they split , I wont botther spend SEk 120 or more to buy it I even wont bother open pear block and search for torrents to download it

Dude, what was the last album you actually liked from Opeth? If it's anywhere before Deliverance/Damnation you can as well stuff the talks about the let-down because clearly they haven't done anything worthy your ears for years and you shouldn't be surprised at all.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on M
13.09.2011 - 00:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ivor on 13.09.2011 at 00:43

Written by Bad English on 12.09.2011 at 22:18

Dude, what was the last album you actually liked from Opeth? If it's anywhere before Deliverance/Damnation you can as well stuff the talks about the let-down because clearly they haven't done anything worthy your ears for years and you shouldn't be surprised at all.

I.

I like all till last one, and even last one was lil letdown I like it, not so much , but still, in this I didnt like anything, onlyu Åkerfelt vox,
----

apos;'
[image]
13.09.2011 - 12:54
Warman
Erotic Stains
I won't listen to the new album yet. I'll wait till it's arrived fresh and covered in hard to open plastic in my mail instead.
----
14.09.2011 - 15:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Warman on 13.09.2011 at 12:54

I won't listen to the new album yet. I'll wait till it's arrived fresh and covered in hard to open plastic in my mail instead.

I bite my nails and holly shit if it's a nightmare to open those things sometimes...
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.09.2011 - 16:53
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.09.2011 at 15:56

I bite my nails and holly shit if it's a nightmare to open those things sometimes...

Tell me about it! Also, it seems like I've always cut my nails right before I get a plastic shit cover like that.
----
19.09.2011 - 07:30
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Opeth's new album is something else all right..it is a lot more experimental and I can tell that a lot of work went into it..it is a work of art! Oh man, I am drooling over the new Opeth album!
23.09.2011 - 18:38
Warman
Erotic Stains
My thoughts about the new album.

First of all, I bought the special edition. The first impression is "wow". The 3D album art is beautiful and the golden Opeth coin which came with it is one of those unnecessary shiny things I don't have any use for, but look so pretty.
The important stuff then, the music. Overall impression... I like it. It's so technical and so original. The thing is that I want to like it more, I love the idea and the musicianship. But I can't fool myself. It's a good album, no more than that.
There's two more things I wanna mention. The piano parts are SO beautiful. I found myself constantly to stop what I was doing and then just sat there, listening, taking it in.
What I love even more is the influences from swedish folk music. Not at all something new when it comes to Opeth. I think all their albums have some swedish folk stuff here and there. But it's more apparent here, especially in the title track and "Folklore" (what a song by the way!). During those parts I just miss our beautiful swedish summers so much and the patriotic heart starts to beat.

But I have to admit that when listening to the album, I wanna hear Åkerfeldt burst out some heavy growls. There's some great tracks, but overall I find it to be best suited for typical background music.
----
24.09.2011 - 07:32
JCJen7
Apparently this new tour is only playing songs without growling. odd.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
24.09.2011 - 13:36
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by JCJen7 on 24.09.2011 at 07:32

Where did you hear this?

I'm beginning to think Akerfeldt really has a problem with his growls now. Or maybe it is like he said in an interview that it isn't in his heart anymore to use growls.

Either way, I don't like it.
----

My Instagram
24.09.2011 - 15:37
Panterica
Written by BloodTears on 24.09.2011 at 13:36

Where did you hear this?

I'm beginning to think Akerfeldt really has a problem with his growls now. Or maybe it is like he said in an interview that it isn't in his heart anymore to use growls.

I don't like it either. It seems that Mikael's disregarde of vocal warm-ups and constant tours is starting to take its toll. I really wish it turns out ok cause I really want to see them live again.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
24.09.2011 - 16:33
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Panterica on 24.09.2011 at 15:37

Where did you hear this?

I don't like it either. It seems that Mikael's disregarde of vocal warm-ups and constant tours is starting to take its toll. I really wish it turns out ok cause I really want to see them live again.

Well, I'll be seeing them on their next European tour with Pain of Salvation and I'm really looking forward to it, but I wasn't aware that I wouldn't be able to hear some of my favourite songs, if this no songs with growls thing is confirmed.
----

My Instagram
24.09.2011 - 16:46
Panterica
Written by BloodTears on 24.09.2011 at 16:33

Where did you hear this?

Well, I'll be seeing them on their next European tour with Pain of Salvation and I'm really looking forward to it, but I wasn't aware that I wouldn't be able to hear some of my favourite songs, if this no songs with growls thing is confirmed.

Than tell us how it was.
P.S- Pain of Salvation doesn't do metal music anymore, isn't it?
----
24.09.2011 - 16:49
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Panterica on 24.09.2011 at 16:46

Where did you hear this?

Than tell us how it was.

I guess you can say that. The Road Salt series was more of a prog rock approach for them, but still remaining very true to the band. So, really, I don't care if they release albums that are not metal, they always had other elements in their music and I like prog rock. The fact that they are opening is also a big part why I'm going to this show.

I'll be sure to tell but it is only in November, so there's still a lot to go
----

My Instagram
25.09.2011 - 03:16
JCJen7

Where did you hear this?

I heard it a couple places, from people that have been to the first few shows on the tour. So far, not one song with any growling.

I would think that he is having trouble with his growling, except just about 2 months ago I watched that livestream from the concert (I don't remember what concert, but it's the one that aired both Slipknot and Opeth). And at the concert they played several growling songs, including Master's Apprentice.
----

CHECK THESE OUT
25.09.2011 - 13:04
Panterica
Written by BloodTears on 24.09.2011 at 16:49

Where did you hear this?

Than tell us how it was.

I guess you can say that. The Road Salt series was more of a prog rock approach for them, but still remaining very true to the band. So, really, I don't care if they release albums that are not metal, they always had other elements in their music and I like prog rock. The fact that they are opening is also a big part why I'm going to this show.

I thought that The Road Salt isn't even prog, more kind of Blues-Rock'n'roll? If they do prog-rock than I'll give them another spin. Their vocalist is absolutely great.
----
25.09.2011 - 13:33
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Panterica on 25.09.2011 at 13:04

Where did you hear this?

Than tell us how it was.

I thought that The Road Salt isn't even prog, more kind of Blues-Rock'n'roll? If they do prog-rock than I'll give them another spin. Their vocalist is absolutely great.

Why don't you listen to it and see it for yourself?

They've always been a progressive metal/rock band, the fact that they are kinda bluesy now doesn't take away the fact that they still have those prog elements.
----

My Instagram
27.09.2011 - 12:22
Storchillarn
Set list from first show on the tour.

I've already seen them play all of my favourite songs so I'm not that sad about the more laid back approach. I don't think Mikael has any problems growling, I just think they want to play a lot of new songs and create a different mood than usual. I actually like the set list... except for Nepenthe and Slither.
27.09.2011 - 13:07
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Storchillarn on 27.09.2011 at 12:22

Set list from first show on the tour.

I've already seen them play all of my favourite songs so I'm not that sad about the more laid back approach. I don't think Mikael has any problems growling, I just think they want to play a lot of new songs and create a different mood than usual. I actually like the set list... except for Nepenthe and Slither.

link doesn't work
----

My Instagram
27.09.2011 - 13:36
Panterica
Written by BloodTears on 25.09.2011 at 13:33

Written by Panterica on 25.09.2011 at 13:04

Where did you hear this?

Than tell us how it was.

Why don't you listen to it and see it for yourself?

They've always been a progressive metal/rock band, the fact that they are kinda bluesy now doesn't take away the fact that they still have those prog elements.

Cool. Will do.
----
03.10.2011 - 09:24
JCJen7
^^someone stop the quoting train please^^

Ok, so I ordered the $55 tickets to an Opeth concert that is in about 2 weeks. It said it came with a signed copy of Heritage. I assumed that I would pick up the signed copy at the show, but then the CD randomly showed up at my house a couple days ago, with no signature. Anyone know anyting about how I am supposed to get the signatures that I paid a pretty penny for?
----

CHECK THESE OUT
13.10.2011 - 17:10
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Heritage is my favourite album by Opeth so far, I give a shit is some call it not metal, it's a fantastic METAL album influenced by 70s rock. Shame by the cover, though, it's horrible...
13.10.2011 - 18:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 13.10.2011 at 17:10

Heritage is my favourite album by Opeth so far, I give a shit is some call it not metal, it's a fantastic METAL album influenced by 70s rock. Shame by the cover, though, it's horrible...

Weird, for some reason I thought you wouldn't like it.
I personally dislike the record and will talk about the band as "opeth.2" from now on. Probably a 6 from me.
And yes... the artwork is fucking awful.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.