Metal Storm logo
Opeth

Original post

Posted by addiction, 22.04.2008 - 13:06
the last opeth thread reached the max of 500 posts....so this is the new one...:)
i've never started a topic before in about 4 years...but this is a good chance...:)
Opeth is a fantastic band, probably my favourite. i more or less like all their albums but i think i like blackwater park slightly more than the rest, maybe because it is the first one i ever listened to.
i am looking forwards to the new album and to see them live on the defenders of the faith tour in london in a few days!!!
anyway, you know the drill...discuss away....
13.10.2011 - 18:33
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.10.2011 at 18:18

Written by Guest on 13.10.2011 at 17:10

Heritage is my favourite album by Opeth so far, I give a shit is some call it not metal, it's a fantastic METAL album influenced by 70s rock. Shame by the cover, though, it's horrible...

Weird, for some reason I thought you wouldn't like it.
I personally dislike the record and will talk about the band as "opeth.2" from now on. Probably a 6 from me.
And yes... the artwork is fucking awful.

I'm not an Opeth fan, but this album somehow hooked me since the first listening
13.10.2011 - 18:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 13.10.2011 at 18:33

I'm not an Opeth fan, but this album somehow hooked me since the first listening

Oh I know that, I also remember that you posted sometimes that their best album for you was either Orchid or Morningrise, which I can't even begin to explain how superior are to this dissapointment of an album..
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.10.2011 - 19:01
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.10.2011 at 18:53

Written by Guest on 13.10.2011 at 18:33

Oh I know that, I also remember that you posted sometimes that their best album for you was either Orchid or Morningrise, which I can't even begin to explain how superior are to this dissapointment of an album..

Sometimes it is a problem to differenciate from "the best" album to "one's favourite"... I mean, both Orchid and Morningrise are outstanding, they had resisted the passing of time and almost 20 years after their release are still considered a classic, while Heritage was just recently released, I hadn't listened to it more than 10 times and yes, I enjoy it a lot but don't get me wrong when I say that it's my favourite, I just received it as a gust of fresh air from a band that was progressively becoming pretty rancid, and even with all the respect I have for Opeth's first 3 albums, I had already enough of them, I don't feel like listening to them anymore, so when I say Heritage is my favourite I'm not saying it is the BEST (ask me that in 10 years), just that is the only Opeth album I'm currently ready to fully enjoy.
13.10.2011 - 19:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 13.10.2011 at 19:01

Sometimes it is a problem to differenciate from "the best" album to "one's favourite"... I mean, both Orchid and Morningrise are outstanding, they had resisted the passing of time and almost 20 years after their release are still considered a classic, while Heritage was just recently released, I hadn't listened to it more than 10 times and yes, I enjoy it a lot but don't get me wrong when I say that it's my favourite, I just received it as a gust of fresh air from a band that was progressively becoming pretty rancid, and even with all the respect I have for Opeth's first 3 albums, I had already enough of them, I don't feel like listening to them anymore, so when I say Heritage is my favourite I'm not saying it is the BEST (ask me that in 10 years), just that is the only Opeth album I'm currently ready to fully enjoy.

Well, that's a better explanation of your opinion than some people around here that go all "omg if you don't like the new album you are, like, super stuck in the past, like". You should have seen the album's thread. It was kind of a troll war at times.
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.10.2011 - 06:20
Void Eater
Account deleted
I tried listening to Opeth again 10 minutes ago or so. Started playing The Leper Affinity, thought it was cool for a minute, then I forgot it was playing for 4 minutes, until they switched into an acoustic part. It's well performed, the riffs are good, the acoustic parts are nice, and it's all so calm and inoffensive... Which isn't exactly a good thing. They would make great elevator music, and seem like they would function quite well for those times where you're feeling thoughtful but don't feel like thinking.
15.10.2011 - 09:25
fabregassed
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.10.2011 at 06:20

I tried listening to Opeth again 10 minutes ago or so. Started playing The Leper Affinity, thought it was cool for a minute, then I forgot it was playing for 4 minutes, until they switched into an acoustic part. It's well performed, the riffs are good, the acoustic parts are nice, and it's all so calm and inoffensive... Which isn't exactly a good thing. They would make great elevator music, and seem like they would function quite well for those times where you're feeling thoughtful but don't feel like thinking.

The Moor changed my opinion.
15.10.2011 - 14:01
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth

Sounds more like a lame excuse for being inattentive... those four minutes that you missed out on are quite intense and full of changing riffs, bridges, transitions, leads and a pretty good solo.

Don't get your point on elevator music and the "thoughtful" comment.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
15.10.2011 - 19:18
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
A nice interview with Mikael: http://www.metal-army.com/?p=26680.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
16.10.2011 - 02:38
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.10.2011 at 09:25

The Moor changed my opinion.

That's the only song by them that I've fully enjoyed.
22.10.2011 - 23:22
ralph86

I'm still in two minds about this disc. I have been listening to it again today. I think actually it starts off with a lot of promise and then gets more and more forgettable as the album progresses. I'm not one for Death Metal and could easily take or leave some of the earlier albums - but I did think that Watershed was a high point in the band's career. Would have loved this album to be as coherent as their previous effort... but I'm still not gonna call quits on it and will continue to give it a few more spins!
26.10.2011 - 14:48
Daniell
_爱情_

Opeth isn't easy to digest. "The Leper Affinity" that you mention is a long song consisting of many contrasting parts. Also, Opeth made a habit of writing songs that almost never use the verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus pattern. All that makes most of their music not too easy to approach. This isn't to say that you need to listen to the band more to appreciate it. If you don't like it after a few initial listens, you probably never will. No harm done - there are thousands of bands that you might like more, so there is no need to waste time listening to Opeth if you dislike their music initially. I olny mean to say that in order to fully appreciate the depth of Opeth, you need to give every song many listens, which, incidentally, completely excludes Opeth as elevator music...
28.11.2011 - 22:04
Berserker
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 26.10.2011 at 14:48

Opeth isn't easy to digest. "The Leper Affinity" that you mention is a long song consisting of many contrasting parts. Also, Opeth made a habit of writing songs that almost never use the verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus pattern. All that makes most of their music not too easy to approach. This isn't to say that you need to listen to the band more to appreciate it. If you don't like it after a few initial listens, you probably never will. No harm done - there are thousands of bands that you might like more, so there is no need to waste time listening to Opeth if you dislike their music initially. I olny mean to say that in order to fully appreciate the depth of Opeth, you need to give every song many listens, which, incidentally, completely excludes Opeth as elevator music...

This describes my music relationship with opeth. I have friends that are die hard fans of this band and they always tell me that it's has a complex composing and it's not for the untrained ear. I've listened to it several times now i can't seem to enjoy it. They're obviously a good band because all sorts of people like them, it's not a trend or anything like that. At the same time i can say that it's not a band for everyone.
19.12.2011 - 17:57
Sammol

Hey people. is opethforum.com inaccessible right now? or it's just me?
21.12.2011 - 15:29
Libishomen

Ah mike....WHY U NO GROWL ANYMORE
21.12.2011 - 19:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Libishomen on 21.12.2011 at 15:29

I have a feeling you aren't the only Y U NO guy when it comes to his growls.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.12.2011 - 21:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.12.2011 at 19:56

Doesn't look like a guy to me...
22.12.2011 - 17:07
Libishomen

Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.12.2011 at 19:56

Written by Libishomen on 21.12.2011 at 15:29

I'm not. Good old Mike destroyed the whole Opeth concept..
22.12.2011 - 19:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Libishomen on 22.12.2011 at 17:07
I'm not. Good old Mike destroyed the whole Opeth concept..

I was never a big fan of the band to begin with, but I can certainly understand fans' frustrations. Going from their extreme form of prog to a more progressive rock approach reminiscent of the '70s isn't exactly something I'd be stoked about. That, and losing the growls altogether - probably the only reason I bothered with Opeth in the first place.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.12.2011 - 21:12
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.12.2011 at 19:53

I was never a big fan of the band to begin with, but I can certainly understand fans' frustrations. Going from their extreme form of prog to a more progressive rock approach reminiscent of the '70s isn't exactly something I'd be stoked about. That, and losing the growls altogether - probably the only reason I bothered with Opeth in the first place.

I could live without MIkael's growls (even though they're the best growls ever) if only "Heritage" was any good. But it's not, it's merely average. Even such a musical genius as Mikael Akerfeldt can sometimes get lost on his endless search for new musical challenges. I do hope to hear some great Opeth music in the future.
23.12.2011 - 21:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I don't get what about Akerfeldt is "genius" to be honest. :/
----
24.12.2011 - 09:54
Milena
gloom cookie
I haven't bothered with Opeth a lot, but I can see why so many people are displeased with their new turns... When I gave a spin to Heritage, it sounded more like a 70's prog tribute album to me. It's okay to honor your heroes, but he could have come up with a separate project for that. And it's okay to take drastic turns, just not like "hey look at me I'm playing my fave music 'nough with them growls".

Mikael has a lovely voice, so it's not like it's not pleasant to hear it, but the combination of those growls and cleans is one of the things that made them famous back in the day and some people are pretty attached to that.
----
7.0 means the album is good
25.12.2011 - 11:50
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.12.2011 at 21:14

I don't get what about Akerfeldt is "genius" to be honest. :/

If we're to believe the great Metal Storm guest reviews of truth, Akerfeldt is the single greatest musical genius to have lived (and still lives today).
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
25.12.2011 - 11:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by vezzy on 25.12.2011 at 11:50
If we're to believe the great Metal Storm guest reviews of truth, Akerfeldt is the single greatest musical genius to have lived (and still lives today).

I hear he's better than Beethoven.
----
25.12.2011 - 11:57
Uldreth

Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.12.2011 at 11:53

Written by vezzy on 25.12.2011 at 11:50

I hear he's better than Beethoven.

Oh dat review...
25.12.2011 - 12:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Uldreth on 25.12.2011 at 11:57
Oh dat review...

Oh well, it provided comedic relief during The Massive Success April Fool's Day 2011 for Great Benefit of Glorious Website.

Props on the signature by the way. You get a batch of cookies. Home-made.

----
25.12.2011 - 12:08
Uldreth

Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.12.2011 at 12:01

<Cookiez>

Oh gawd, you just ruined my childhood memories of cookies
25.12.2011 - 12:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Uldreth on 25.12.2011 at 12:08

Sorry, I fell asleep listening to Opeth while they were baking.
----
25.12.2011 - 12:11
vezzy
Stallmanite
Blopeth is the perfect baby lullaby. They should release a special compilation CD.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
25.12.2011 - 12:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by vezzy on 25.12.2011 at 12:11
Blopeth is the perfect baby lullaby. They should release a special compilation CD.

Like their entire discography in one box.
----
25.12.2011 - 14:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.12.2011 at 12:09

Written by Uldreth on 25.12.2011 at 12:08

Sorry, I fell asleep listening to Opeth while they were baking.

I love Opeth but that was hilarious
----
Rod, let me love you.