Metal Storm logo
Opeth

Original post

Posted by addiction, 22.04.2008 - 13:06
the last opeth thread reached the max of 500 posts....so this is the new one...:)
i've never started a topic before in about 4 years...but this is a good chance...:)
Opeth is a fantastic band, probably my favourite. i more or less like all their albums but i think i like blackwater park slightly more than the rest, maybe because it is the first one i ever listened to.
i am looking forwards to the new album and to see them live on the defenders of the faith tour in london in a few days!!!
anyway, you know the drill...discuss away....
18.06.2012 - 01:51
InnerSelf
proofread free
Found this, pretty cool
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
18.06.2012 - 22:09
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by InnerSelf on 18.06.2012 at 01:51

Found this, pretty cool

Oh, same guy that played Mastodon's Leviathan in its entirety. Thanks for sharing!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
18.06.2012 - 23:33
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by K✞ulu on 18.06.2012 at 22:09

Found this, pretty cool

Oh, same guy that played Mastodon's Leviathan in its entirety. Thanks for sharing!

I wasn't aware of that, dude's got talent
----
is not bold enough
19.06.2012 - 20:20
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I find these piano covers really cool. I notice it works really well. I remember I spent some afternoons listening to In Flames' piano covers. Very entertaining.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.06.2012 - 16:19
Warman
Erotic Stains
I read in the paper yesterday that Micke Åkerfeldt and Mastodon are planning some project together, anyone knows something more about this?
----
29.06.2012 - 11:27
Storchillarn

Found this, pretty cool

He should do a cover of Silhouette.
08.07.2012 - 03:05
InnerSelf
proofread free
You guys thought Heritage was just Mikael longing for his roots for a bit ? well, suck on this :s

For me, Watershed was absolutely amazing and I hoped that Opeth would build on that sound, that awesome balance between Prog, Death and the more experimental moments courtesy of me.Akerfeldt.
----
is not bold enough
08.07.2012 - 04:37
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Good. I'm still hoping Opeth goes dubstep someday.
19.07.2012 - 04:33
chronic-headache

Thought opeth was pretty boring at first, but I though my arms, your hearse was okay. Then I bought on a blind whim damnation and ghost reveries, then took a break. Now getting into blackwater park and deliverance, and Im totally digging them now. Def. a band that takes time to love. Any recs on where to go next?
19.07.2012 - 04:47
Crucifux
Account deleted
Written by chronic-headache on 19.07.2012 at 04:33

Thought opeth was pretty boring at first, but I though my arms, your hearse was okay. Then I bought on a blind whim damnation and ghost reveries, then took a break. Now getting into blackwater park and deliverance, and Im totally digging them now. Def. a band that takes time to love. Any recs on where to go next?

Get Still Life and then work backwards through their discography. I'd avoid Heritage unless you're a fan of prog rock.
05.09.2012 - 09:16
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw

Found this, pretty cool

Holy shit, that guy plays some wicked piano there. That was excellent.
----
08.09.2012 - 00:46
haladflire65
Account deleted
So I gave Opeth a listen because of their obvious popularity, and so far really liked The Drapery Falls and The Moor. Any suggestions for other songs I might dig? I've listened to a bit of Blackwater Park as well but found some sections of it a bit dull.
08.09.2012 - 19:39
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by InnerSelf on 08.07.2012 at 03:05

You guys thought Heritage was just Mikael longing for his roots for a bit ? well, suck on this :s

As someone sang it before, so Sad But True...
----

My Instagram
08.09.2012 - 22:58
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 08.09.2012 at 00:46

So I gave Opeth a listen because of their obvious popularity, and so far really liked The Drapery Falls and The Moor. Any suggestions for other songs I might dig? I've listened to a bit of Blackwater Park as well but found some sections of it a bit dull.

I love all they have to offer, but some especially awesome tracks are as follows:

Under the Weeping Moon
The Night and the Silent Water
When
The Amen Corner
Demon of the Fall
Godhead's Lament
Serenity Painted Death
Bleak
Blackwater Park
Deliverance
Closure
Ghost of Perdition
Beneath the Mire
Harlequin Forest
Heir Apparent
Hessian Peel
Hex Omega (this one sounds like you're in the middle of a hurricane, right in the eye of the storm, experiencing calm while everything around you is torn apart)

If you don't mind the prog-rock with the 70's vibe (Heritage) then you might also like "I Feel the Dark"

Anyway, those are a few of my favorite tracks.
----
15.09.2012 - 17:54
Thrashette

I got so bored that I couldn't even finish Heritage when I first listened to it. I gave it another chance earlier this week and found it enjoyable. It's still a great album, just very different from their previous releases. I prefer their older material, but I can still appreciate Heritage.
16.09.2012 - 20:08
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Thrashette on 15.09.2012 at 17:54

I got so bored that I couldn't even finish Heritage when I first listened to it. I gave it another chance earlier this week and found it enjoyable. It's still a great album, just very different from their previous releases. I prefer their older material, but I can still appreciate Heritage.

Many people seem to react that way. It's really weird at first and then "it kinda makes sense". You also need a certain open mind, who can't be comparing it to their previous work because there is no comparison.
----

My Instagram
17.09.2012 - 09:43
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by BloodTears on 16.09.2012 at 20:08

Written by Thrashette on 15.09.2012 at 17:54

Many people seem to react that way. It's really weird at first and then "it kinda makes sense". You also need a certain open mind, who can't be comparing it to their previous work because there is no comparison.

I've never had a problem with being open-minded, and I'm able to appreciate a lot of genres. I do listen to a lot of non-metal stuff as well. Additionally, Opeth is one of my favourite bands. Yet, no matter how hard I try, I can't, I simply can't feel anything positive about Heritage. It's so dead, devoid of feelings and emotions. It sounds like a clinical, experimental exercise in old prog re-creation. Very much calculated, with no passion involved. The only song that shows any kind of feelings is Folklore.
17.09.2012 - 13:02
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Quote:

I've never had a problem with being open-minded, and I'm able to appreciate a lot of genres. I do listen to a lot of non-metal stuff as well. Additionally, Opeth is one of my favourite bands. Yet, no matter how hard I try, I can't, I simply can't feel anything positive about Heritage. It's so dead, devoid of feelings and emotions. It sounds like a clinical, experimental exercise in old prog re-creation. Very much calculated, with no passion involved. The only song that shows any kind of feelings is Folklore.

I remember you saying that in some conversation about Opeth. Actually "Folklore" is one of my favourite songs on the album. Maybe it will grow on you with time? I started to appreciate it more after I saw them live and they played the new songs, for some reason it fitted with all the rest. It must be disappointing to you, especially if you love the band. I'm curious to see what they will do next and metal seems to be out of the picture.
----

My Instagram
18.09.2012 - 17:01
Sangre Sani

There was a time I didn't like Opeth at all and I thought their music is boooooring and loooong....
Now I can say with clear concience that I was just stupid or deaf. I think they play that kind of music that one must grow up to really understand it and appreciate it. Maybe I just grew up to Opeth?
20.09.2012 - 00:39
mayoarm

Written by Sangre Sani on 18.09.2012 at 17:01

There was a time I didn't like Opeth at all and I thought their music is boooooring and loooong....
Now I can say with clear concience that I was just stupid or deaf. I think they play that kind of music that one must grow up to really understand it and appreciate it. Maybe I just grew up to Opeth?

nah I think you developed a sense of maturity in music, and realization that good music a lot of times requires longer tracks to build up the emotion, or rather, display the vast range of emotion (sound tone, tempo change, clean/growls - all relevant attributes found in opeth's music). Not to mention the actual music is pretty progressive, which requires you to train your ear before being able to have such sounds "sink in" without it causing headaches my opinion anyway, not being elitist (well, just a bit =\)
20.09.2012 - 00:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
My God the post above mine has to be the most pretentious ever here on MS

Liking Opeth means having developed a sense of maturity in music and that progressive music is hard to get into?

My God first time I heard Opeth I eally liked it but years later it is boring to me as hell, nothing to do with so-called maturity or getting music or not. FFS I have been listening to metal from 1979 until now and everything has gone by my ears. And let me guarantee you not a single subgenre is hard to het or has to do wih maturity in music listening or training your ears.

And it is espcially funny coming from a 20-year-old who only got into this sort of music about 10-12 years at most
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.09.2012 - 01:02
mayoarm

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.09.2012 at 00:50

My God the post above mine has to be the most pretentious ever here on MS

Liking Opeth means having developed a sense of maturity in music and that progressive music is hard to get into?

My God first time I heard Opeth I eally liked it but years later it is boring to me as hell, nothing to do with so-called maturity or getting music or not. FFS I have been listening to metal from 1979 until now and everything has gone by my ears. And let me guarantee you not a single subgenre is hard to het or has to do wih maturity in music listening or training your ears.

And it is espcially funny coming from a 20-year-old who only got into this sort of music about 10-12 years at most

you're right, it was exaggerated. What I wrote, perhaps written in an exaggerated pretentious manner, is my experience. As you pointed out, I'm relatively young, so I might (and probably will) change my views regarding music some time in the future. I disagree, thought with your statement about how progressive music doesn't require "ear training" and some sort of "musical maturity". I don't see how anyone can enjoy progressive music fully without SOME knowledge of music theory, even if it's sub-conscience if that's possible (understanding musical elements without it being taught to you).

I'd appreciate it if you explain your argument rather than simply criticize my age next time, although it was a valid point.
20.09.2012 - 14:54
Daniell
_爱情_
You can understand music without being taught any theory about it. And it doesn't require any special effort from your subconsciousness. It's a simple like/dislke most of the time.

Perhaps in order to fully appreciate some albums, some prior musical experiance is handy. Like, for example, Opeth's latest shitpile, Heritage. It contains lots of references to various genres and time periods. But in this case it doesn't matter, because the album sucks balls
20.09.2012 - 16:31
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by mayoarm on 20.09.2012 at 00:39

nah I think you developed a sense of maturity in music, and realization that good music a lot of times requires longer tracks to build up the emotion, or rather, display the vast range of emotion (sound tone, tempo change, clean/growls - all relevant attributes found in opeth's music). Not to mention the actual music is pretty progressive, which requires you to train your ear before being able to have such sounds "sink in" without it causing headaches my opinion anyway, not being elitist (well, just a bit =\)

I think the musical maturity thing is valid in a very personal point of view. You can't tell a guy "listen to this and this and this before trying progressive", if he checks it out and doesn't like it then probably, years later after listening to other things, his tastes will broaden a he will like it. But that'd be more of a personal taste development than "training yourself to listen to progressive music". It does sound fucking elitist when said that way jazz people do that all the time.

And regarding the musical theory knowledge, if you don't have it you look for other things in the music, that doesn't mean you necessarily won't enjoy it . Most of progressive listeners I know are actually musicians, so it could make sense if they looked for theory-related stuff in the music but it's definitely not a must. Just try to remember how you perceived music when you didn't have a single idea of what was going on.
I do think there are subgenres hard getting into though, I'll disagree with Marcel there.
20.09.2012 - 16:58
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by mayoarm on 20.09.2012 at 01:02

I don't see how anyone can enjoy progressive music fully without SOME knowledge of music theory, even if it's sub-conscience if that's possible (understanding musical elements without it being taught to you).

I enjoyed prog the first time it was presented to me, and without any knowledge of musical theory, subconscious or otherwise. I wasn't a very good or patient listener back then either - if anything, I tried to grow an attention span so I could enjoy this music for longer periods of time uninterrupted. And I never got the people who said it's weird or whatever, to me it always had some natural flow and appeal. Sure it's a bit different from heavy and power metal, but so is every other genre of metal, particularly the extreme ones.

And I'm pretty sure there's loads of other people like me as well. Then there's the others who need a bit of time to get into the stuff, but it's like that with every genre of music - sometimes you need time, sometimes you don't. And progressive is one of those genres where the approximated time needed to get into it is blown way out of proportion because people started talking about how difficult it is to get into it for some reason. That's the reputation.
----
7.0 means the album is good
18.11.2012 - 17:15
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Opeth played the first of their announced acoustic (not 100% acoustic, in fact) shows on Friday, looks like it was great:

And some nice covers:

19.11.2012 - 16:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
The acoustic version of Demon Of The Fall sounds pretty awesome. Definitely something I would like to cover while camping on the woods, being all necro and kvlt
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.11.2012 - 19:45
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Lol Pretty cool indeed! However, I would love to see this song live at least once in my life, with growls.
----

My Instagram
21.11.2012 - 05:42
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by BloodTears on 19.11.2012 at 19:45

I would love to see this song live at least once in my life, with growls.

Same here... saw them twice and didn't get it. And if they keep walking down the prog rock path probably I won't ever
21.11.2012 - 11:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Unhealer on 21.11.2012 at 05:42
Same here... saw them twice and didn't get it. And if they keep walking down the prog rock path probably I won't ever

Welp, at least you saw them twice before Heritage, right?. 29 will be my first time so if I see them after than I still won't get as much metal as you got.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.