Metal Storm logo
Opeth

Original post

Posted by addiction, 22.04.2008 - 13:06
the last opeth thread reached the max of 500 posts....so this is the new one...:)
i've never started a topic before in about 4 years...but this is a good chance...:)
Opeth is a fantastic band, probably my favourite. i more or less like all their albums but i think i like blackwater park slightly more than the rest, maybe because it is the first one i ever listened to.
i am looking forwards to the new album and to see them live on the defenders of the faith tour in london in a few days!!!
anyway, you know the drill...discuss away....
21.11.2012 - 14:36
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.11.2012 at 11:08

Welp, at least you saw them twice before Heritage, right?. 29 will be my first time so if I see them after than I still won't get as much metal as you got.

Nah, one time on the Watershed tour and the other in April for the Heritage tour. Thankfully they dropped the clean-vocals-only setlist that they were doing after they released the album by the time they got to South America. You are seeing them on the 29th? Don't wanna spoil you but the setlist they are playing has some songs that slightly make me want to kill you out of envy
21.11.2012 - 17:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 21.11.2012 at 14:36
Nah, one time on the Watershed tour and the other in April for the Heritage tour. Thankfully they dropped the clean-vocals-only setlist that they were doing after they released the album by the time they got to South America. You are seeing them on the 29th? Don't wanna spoil you but the setlist they are playing has some songs that slightly make me want to kill you out of envy

So you are saying they play the same setlist during an entire tour? Huh... So I guess this setlist we are talking about is the same I saw in the article?

Major spoiler. But don't worry... I thought about that once I saw the article.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.11.2012 - 17:36
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.11.2012 at 17:27

So you are saying they play the same setlist during an entire tour? Huh... So I guess this setlist we are talking about is the same I saw in the article?

Don't know what article you are talking about, but they either play the acoustic set or the "normal" set on this tour. The "normal" set has a fucking sweet setlist, the acoustic may vary since it wasn't even rehearsed as Mikael said
21.11.2012 - 17:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 21.11.2012 at 17:36

Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.11.2012 at 17:27

Don't know what article you are talking about, but they either play the acoustic set or the "normal" set on this tour. The "normal" set has a fucking sweet setlist.

This article.
Then again... Unless my sources are lying: The only swedish acoustic date is on Norrköping and I'll see them at Malmö so I'm 95% sure it won't be acoustic.
If the article I posted doesn't show the setlist you are talking about... Then don't spoil anything I already got my ticket. My sis bought it for my birthday. Fuck yeah.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.11.2012 - 17:58
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.11.2012 at 17:38

The only swedish acoustic date is on Norrköping and I'll see them at Malmö so I'm 95% sure it won't be acoustic.

Oh, no no, luckily for you are going to have another setlist then. That is the one I was talking about, I will only tell that you that it's fucking awesome
22.11.2012 - 17:59
Risto
Wandering Midget
On a side note, their support band is good as well if you don't mind some poppier psychedelic rock.

22.11.2012 - 20:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Psychedelic rock is everywhere now.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
23.11.2012 - 07:33
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by BloodTears on 22.11.2012 at 20:41

Psychedelic rock is everywhere now.

Weird, even though I hear a lot of bands using this sound as an influence or inspiration of sorts, I haven't really noticed a huge "pure" psychedelic rock movement where I live (maybe that's the reason lol ). The only well-known psych rock band from today I've heard is Portugal the Man, which I've heard a lot of good things about.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
23.11.2012 - 11:35
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Quote:

Weird, even though I hear a lot of bands using this sound as an influence or inspiration of sorts, I haven't really noticed a huge "pure" psychedelic rock movement where I live (maybe that's the reason lol ). The only well-known psych rock band from today I've heard is Portugal the Man, which I've heard a lot of good things about.

They are from my country and I never heard of them? Are they really good? I just notice many bands using that sound and going back to that era now, like a resurrection of sorts.
----

My Instagram
23.11.2012 - 11:48
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Risto on 22.11.2012 at 17:59

On a side note, their support band is good as well if you don't mind some poppier psychedelic rock.

I should have seen them with Pain Of Salvation last Euro tour *gloom cookie*
----
7.0 means the album is good
23.11.2012 - 16:32
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.11.2012 at 17:38

Then again... Unless my sources are lying: The only swedish acoustic date is on Norrköping and I'll see them at Malmö so I'm 95% sure it won't be acoustic.

The Stockholm shows are acoustic.
----
27.11.2012 - 11:05
trattorino
I think, considering how many acustic guitars they usually use in the songs , that this is going to be pretty cool and not forced at all...i mean, I always see Mikael more as an acustic guitar player than an electric one.
05.12.2012 - 18:56
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
New album in pipeline?

OPETH Frontman Mikael Akerfeldt Describing Two New Songs.

Quote:
"I have one new song, which I really like, a new song. It's the most miserable song I ever wrote, and it's beautiful, I think. And then I have a song that we jammed, actually, on tour. I came up with a little lick and became a bit of a director and just told everyone to play this and that, and we started jamming on something. And it sounded, immediately from the beginning, which was also my idea, it sounded like the band Goblin, if you heard them, the Italian [progressive rock] band. So it's a crazy riff, a Goblin rip-off, and the song is called 'Goblin', which is a good title, I think. And we're gonna record it. I'm not sure if that will be too much of a fucked up song to be on the record, because there will definitely only be one song ever we do that is gonna sound like that. So maybe it'll just be some extra thing that we have. But it's really good; I love it. But then again, it's just because of the closeness to Goblin."

Source: here.
06.12.2012 - 05:49
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Quote:
Quote:

They are from my country and I never heard of them? Are they really good? I just notice many bands using that sound and going back to that era now, like a resurrection of sorts.

Sorry for the late message, I wasn't notified. They're actually from Portland, Oregon believe it or not. I've heard a few samples of them, they're pretty decent. Yeah, like many people seem to have a revitalized interest in prog for the most part.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
15.12.2012 - 00:43
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by CobiWan1993 on 06.12.2012 at 05:49

Sorry for the late message, I wasn't notified.

She wasn't notified for that either because you two keep deleting user references from quotes. I'm pretty sure this ended up in your inbox
15.12.2012 - 12:51
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
True lol But Blizk saves the day
----

My Instagram
15.12.2012 - 19:04
TheBigRossowski
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 05.12.2012 at 18:56

New album in pipeline?

OPETH Frontman Mikael Akerfeldt Describing Two New Songs.

Quote:
"I have one new song, which I really like, a new song. It's the most miserable song I ever wrote, and it's beautiful, I think. And then I have a song that we jammed, actually, on tour. I came up with a little lick and became a bit of a director and just told everyone to play this and that, and we started jamming on something. And it sounded, immediately from the beginning, which was also my idea, it sounded like the band Goblin, if you heard them, the Italian [progressive rock] band. So it's a crazy riff, a Goblin rip-off, and the song is called 'Goblin', which is a good title, I think. And we're gonna record it. I'm not sure if that will be too much of a fucked up song to be on the record, because there will definitely only be one song ever we do that is gonna sound like that. So maybe it'll just be some extra thing that we have. But it's really good; I love it. But then again, it's just because of the closeness to Goblin."

Source: here.

Goblin? Seriously?! Dude...

Anyways, I was one of the fortunate Dudes to see the unplugged show in Frankfurt and I have to say... it was a BIT lamer than I expected. One of the highlights was definitely the acoustic "Demon of the Fall". I also enjoyed the cover of Black Sabbath's "Solitude". Beautiful. But they were much better & darker in Cologne...
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
11.06.2013 - 20:23
Written by Guest on 11.06.2013 at 19:18

Quite nice interview:

Really cool. Thanks for posting.
----
Tungsten - Original Progressive Metal from Philadelphia, USA.

Check us out at tungstenphilly.com or at facebook.com/tungstenphilly or at tungstenphilly.bandcamp.com

For fans of Opeth, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, Mastodon, Ayreon, etc.
06.09.2013 - 10:16
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Opeth Says New Album "Not Death Metal Hard, But Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Hard".

Full details.
07.09.2013 - 01:48
Mattybu
The fact that hard rock is even mentioned is a very good indicator that there new album is not going to be "hard" at all.

I have never understood why Opeth hasn't had the death metal tag on this site (for some albums), though. Sure it isn't as brutal as Bloody Hacksaw Fuckgutter's Penile Chainsaw Evisceration demo but they have their death metal moments.
07.09.2013 - 01:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Mattybu on 07.09.2013 at 01:48

but they have their death metal moments.

mmm, actually NO, just on My Arms Your Hearse there is some death metal, but that's it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.09.2013 - 05:11
Mattybu
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.09.2013 at 01:50

mmm, actually NO, just on My Arms Your Hearse there is some death metal, but that's it.

See you admitted it! Some moments!

But really, even Mikael says they play death metal (at times). I've heard him say it in person tons at shows. And if he thinks they do, then I do.
07.09.2013 - 09:38
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.09.2013 at 01:50

Well, Orchid is a classic example of good old Swedish melodeath like In Flames or Dark Tranquility with mixes of Death Doom like early Katatonia.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
07.09.2013 - 10:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Mattybu on 07.09.2013 at 05:11

But really, even Mikael says they play death metal (at times). I've heard him say it in person tons at shows. And if he thinks they do, then I do.

And Alexi Laiho has said on numerous occassions in the past that Children Of Bodom plays black metal...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.09.2013 - 18:36
Mattybu
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.09.2013 at 10:48

And Alexi Laiho has said on numerous occassions in the past that Children Of Bodom plays black metal...

No comment on that one.

30.09.2014 - 02:00
Ðírg&euml
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.09.2013 at 10:48

Written by Mattybu on 07.09.2013 at 05:11

----
LAST.FM : http://www.last.fm/user/DirgeElucidatr
MY PHOTOGRAPHY: http://blasphemedsoldier.deviantart.com/
30.09.2014 - 02:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Opeth is closer mch closer to DM a CoB to BM ... well Opeth in the past they was, my bad,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.10.2014 - 03:10
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
I was on Opeth's official Facebook page and where it shows all your facebook friends who also liked the page, all the Opeth fans on my friends list happen to be some of the absolute coolest, most down to earth people I know. If there's no connection between that and being an Opeth fan, it's the biggest coincidence I've seen yet.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it's probably because (due to the nature of Opeth's music), it takes an open mind to get into them. Open mindedness plays a huge roll in being a cool, down to earth person I suppose.
29.10.2014 - 04:47
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 29.10.2014 at 03:10

I was on Opeth's official Facebook page and where it shows all your facebook friends who also liked the page, all the Opeth fans on my friends list happen to be some of the absolute coolest, most down to earth people I know. If there's no connection between that and being an Opeth fan, it's the biggest coincidence I've seen yet.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it's probably because (due to the nature of Opeth's music), it takes an open mind to get into them. Open mindedness plays a huge roll in being a cool, down to earth person I suppose.

Ironically, this post is everything but open-minded and humble.
29.10.2014 - 09:46
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Guest on 29.10.2014 at 03:10

You're pushing the boundaries of what ridiculous means.