Metal Storm logo
Opeth

Original post

Posted by addiction, 22.04.2008 - 13:06
the last opeth thread reached the max of 500 posts....so this is the new one...:)
i've never started a topic before in about 4 years...but this is a good chance...:)
Opeth is a fantastic band, probably my favourite. i more or less like all their albums but i think i like blackwater park slightly more than the rest, maybe because it is the first one i ever listened to.
i am looking forwards to the new album and to see them live on the defenders of the faith tour in london in a few days!!!
anyway, you know the drill...discuss away....
29.10.2014 - 10:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Methinks Mr. Thunderaxe didn't see Opeth's Facebook when Opeth didn't deliver the song they promised they would on time. Fans were anything but open minded, cool and tolerant.
29.10.2014 - 12:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Daniell on 29.10.2014 at 09:46

You're pushing the boundaries of what ridiculous means.

I thought usually I do it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.10.2014 - 14:18
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Bad English on 29.10.2014 at 12:54

I thought usually I do it

Methinks you're not alone anymore.
29.10.2014 - 21:42
Mattybu
Written by Guest on 29.10.2014 at 03:10

I was on Opeth's official Facebook page and where it shows all your facebook friends who also liked the page, all the Opeth fans on my friends list happen to be some of the absolute coolest, most down to earth people I know. If there's no connection between that and being an Opeth fan, it's the biggest coincidence I've seen yet.

There is no connection. Usually attributing qualities of a tiny sample size to a much larger overall group doesn't provide a high level of accuracy when characterizing that group, either.
02.11.2014 - 02:21
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 29.10.2014 at 09:46

Written by Guest on 29.10.2014 at 03:10

I was on Opeth's official Facebook page and where it shows all your facebook friends who also liked the page, all the Opeth fans on my friends list happen to be some of the absolute coolest, most down to earth people I know. If there's no connection between that and being an Opeth fan, it's the biggest coincidence I've seen yet.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it's probably because (due to the nature of Opeth's music), it takes an open mind to get into them. Open mindedness plays a huge roll in being a cool, down to earth person I suppose.

You're pushing the boundaries of what ridiculous means.

I'm not an idiot, I understand that correlation does not equal causation, hence why I typed "If there's no connection between that and being an Opeth fan, it's the biggest coincidence I've seen yet.", Please bear in mind, also, that I was high when I posted that
06.12.2014 - 00:26
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 29.10.2014 at 10:01

Methinks Mr. Thunderaxe didn't see Opeth's Facebook when Opeth didn't deliver the song they promised they would on time. Fans were anything but open minded, cool and tolerant.

Yep. If I remember correctly, people were flipping their shit.

I've personally met a ton of really cool Opeth fans, and some that were total douchebags. The music they like didn't have much to do with that at all.
----
11.01.2015 - 00:59
Oakdude
I dont like any kind of growling/screaming vocals so I have a really hard time getting in to Opeth, I've listened to the Blackwater Park album a few times though because the music is just awesome.
20.01.2015 - 12:08
Nucky
I haven't listened them for a while now.. Used to like them but now I just don't listen their music anymore..
20.01.2015 - 20:43
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Oakdude on 11.01.2015 at 00:59

I dont like any kind of growling/screaming vocals so I have a really hard time getting in to Opeth, I've listened to the Blackwater Park album a few times though because the music is just awesome.

That's how it all usually starts when we start getting into more extreme vocals, the instrumental quality sucks you in first
21.01.2015 - 17:46
Oakdude
Written by Risto on 20.01.2015 at 20:43

That's how it all usually starts when we start getting into more extreme vocals, the instrumental quality sucks you in first

Haha yeah I've accepted the growling on In Flames first albums because the music is awesome, but I really doubt I'll start liking growling any time soon, to me it just sounds horrible.
18.02.2015 - 10:26
Deathmaster

Dude just... wow. Ok so try listening to Damnation, watershed, Heritage and Pale Communion. there are maybe like 3 Growly vocal songs on watershed, the rest is ALL clean vocals. ]

Opeth is Great of course, My Opeth obsession is shall we say on Hiatus, as I am a bit burned out on them from a LOT of listening. But will be checking out pale communion soon, so we shall see. I own all Opeth albums from Orchid-Ghost Reveries, my fav is somewhere between Still Life, Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation. And ghost Reveries is pretty beast too.
----
"While I live let me live deep."-Robert Howard
20.04.2015 - 06:42
Amy
Opeth is just one of those bands that you would have to put yourself in a calm environment in order to enjoy their music, especially with everything after Blackwater Park. Try having a very metal bubble bath while listening to an Opeth album. Earlier albums such as Orchid and Morningrise work in a wider variety of situations.
----
\m/
18.05.2015 - 00:07
Sentinel65

That's how I started out too; I listened to their latest album and went onto albums like Damnation. I could tolerate the growling vocals, but I was really in it for the instruments. Eventually the vocals grew on me, and now I listen to more death metal and black metal.
01.06.2015 - 19:09
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
The first Opeth album I got into was Blackwater Park. I'm not sure why I was so hesitant. I was listening to bands like At the Gates and Death at the time, and I could stomach some acoustic guitar in my metal, however, something just didn't click right away. Eventually, Bleak was one of those songs that really peaked my interest after listening to the album a number of times. The patience definitely payed off.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
03.08.2015 - 22:41
Forty2One
Opeth's performance at Wacken was amazing.
----
Circus Maximus - Symphony X - Sabaton - Lost Horizon - Outworld - Falconer - Hammerfall
In Flames - Dream Theater - Enslaved
03.08.2015 - 22:47
Forty2One
Written by AtLossForWords on 01.06.2015 at 19:09

The first Opeth album I got into was Blackwater Park. I'm not sure why I was so hesitant. I was listening to bands like At the Gates and Death at the time, and I could stomach some acoustic guitar in my metal, however, something just didn't click right away. Eventually, Bleak was one of those songs that really peaked my interest after listening to the album a number of times. The patience definitely payed off.

Sometimes albums and songs can be like that.

Patience is definitely very important when first listening to them. I can often be too quick to judge a song after hearing it the first time, but not every song/album is going to click right away. Some songs/albums take a little time to grow on you and then they become one of your favorites.

I think it's because, some bands are so alien too you at first that they don't quite make sense, but if you don't give up on them, suddenly they can begin too and make an impact.
----
Circus Maximus - Symphony X - Sabaton - Lost Horizon - Outworld - Falconer - Hammerfall
In Flames - Dream Theater - Enslaved
16.08.2015 - 03:38
JayMo4
Written by Amy on 20.04.2015 at 06:42
Try having a very metal bubble bath while listening to an Opeth album.

That's how I listen to all of my metal
07.10.2015 - 21:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
He is old, better split up and be live band only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=69&v=rDDrJVNzruU
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.10.2015 - 17:20
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Oakdude on 21.01.2015 at 17:46

Haha yeah I've accepted the growling on In Flames first albums because the music is awesome, but I really doubt I'll start liking growling any time soon, to me it just sounds horrible.

Hey You are from Sweden man. How can you hate or /wtf not accepted growling on In Flames before ? Even The Jester Race in my opinion their best release.

Now In Flames just piece of shit. Old In Flames, Gold In Flames. IMO
11.11.2015 - 14:16
Oakdude
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 11.10.2015 at 17:20

Written by Oakdude on 21.01.2015 at 17:46

Hey You are from Sweden man. How can you hate or /wtf not accepted growling on In Flames before ? Even The Jester Race in my opinion their best release.

Now In Flames just piece of shit. Old In Flames, Gold In Flames. IMO

Same thing there, love the music but cant stand the growling on the old albums.
16.11.2015 - 10:13
angel_heart
Written by Amy on 20.04.2015 at 06:42

Opeth is just one of those bands that you would have to put yourself in a calm environment in order to enjoy their music, especially with everything after Blackwater Park. Try having a very metal bubble bath while listening to an Opeth album. Earlier albums such as Orchid and Morningrise work in a wider variety of situations.

Yeah, it's one of those bands that requires a certain mood to appreciate properly. It's ethereal and calm enough to not work if you're agitated, and yet it has enough grunts and changes of pace to not work if you're tired, and I certainly can't discover its magic unless I devote myself to it 100%, no doing anything else while listening to it, but paying full attention. But when all these criterias are reached, magic happens.
10.07.2016 - 18:01
POST restriction..
17.02.2017 - 15:40
konung
Am I missing something, but the last post is from 2015. On opeth? What do you think about the last album - sorceress?
17.02.2017 - 17:53
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^That's probably because people are more likely to discuss it in the respective album threads...
Nothing wrong with posting here as well, though. It's just that there's a discussion there if you want to read =p
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
24.02.2017 - 20:51
Sang Dalang Abu
^^ In my opinion that album was good, one thing amazed me, Mikael Akerfeel...... he did growling again
25.02.2017 - 12:57
konung
What I was trying to say. It is interesting how an active thread suddenly died in 2015, yet albums keep coming up by Opeth. I guess i musjudged the situation, It is only the type (or place) of discussion that changed.
20.03.2017 - 19:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
I moved the discussion just to keep it on topic
Written by Guest on 20.03.2017 at 18:58

Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.03.2017 at 18:39

Nah, I'd say productionwise it's superior to Still Life as it feels much more organic and "wild" (Karma comes to mind)... But the songwriting is much stronger and unique on Still Life imo. The difference in quality are extremely small in those albums though... So I'm basically splitting hairs here.

I actually agree with you, but I just have a personal attachment to MAYH, although if I think about it Still Life is my real favorite. Everything after SL and BP sucks imo

My first album was Deliverance so I have some fun memories of that one and I really enjoy Damnation as well as it sounds basically like their older stuff minus the metal... Unlike Heritage where the prog rock influences are less Pink Floyd and more King Crimson... But donw awful. My first real disappointment was with Ghost Reveries but I warmed up to it after many years, some goes for Watershed tbh. But everything from Heritage up to now is garbage to me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.03.2017 - 21:29
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Everything from Heritage up to now should be garbage to any level headed person.
20.03.2017 - 23:13
VIG
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 20.03.2017 at 21:29

Everything from Heritage up to now should be garbage to any level headed person.

Indeed, but I don't like everything after Blackwater Park, Deliverance, and Damnation. All of their albums have big change in sound from the last. That is why everyone's favorite by them is different, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
30.08.2017 - 09:50
soltar777
Written by 3rdWorld on 20.03.2017 at 21:29

I wouldn't go as far as to say they're garbage, but I would say they need to go back to their roots, sorceress was a pretty big disappointment...