Metal Storm logo
Opeth

Original post

Posted by addiction, 22.04.2008 - 13:06
the last opeth thread reached the max of 500 posts....so this is the new one...:)
i've never started a topic before in about 4 years...but this is a good chance...:)
Opeth is a fantastic band, probably my favourite. i more or less like all their albums but i think i like blackwater park slightly more than the rest, maybe because it is the first one i ever listened to.
i am looking forwards to the new album and to see them live on the defenders of the faith tour in london in a few days!!!
anyway, you know the drill...discuss away....
14.06.2008 - 16:35
ß
Problem?
Yes very impressive. Too bad they don't play any good metal on any local radio stations here.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
14.06.2008 - 16:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
woooow... the international carts were indeed impressive, Go Opeth!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.06.2008 - 17:26
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I think all the excitement about this album is just because it's a new Opeth album. I think St. Anger was as well holding high ranks in the charts. So... but the album is indeed a good one.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
14.06.2008 - 17:46
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Written by K✞ulu on 14.06.2008 at 17:26

I think all the excitement about this album is just because it's a new Opeth album. I think St. Anger was as well holding high ranks in the charts. So... but the album is indeed a good one.

That's a strange way to completely back-up on yourself.
----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
14.06.2008 - 18:06
TheBigRossowski
FINALLY!! My Special Order is here!!! LOL, the whole band says that "Axe" is a funny guy, but "confused". Almost 6 minutes into "Lotus Eater", what is with the ultra progressiveness?! The rest of the song was cool, but I hate that part of the song.

What's with the code, anyone know? Translated yet?
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
17.06.2008 - 04:07
Demorgiis
Account deleted
My favorite is still there first.. "Orchid"..
I love here new album though. listening to it now!!
18.06.2008 - 23:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Sorry dudes, but I couldn't get through Watershed. The first half is just too messy and unfocused, and then it just gets boring from there. I really need to listen to albums before I buy them. THIS YEAR FUCKING SUCKS.

Oh, and there's something else I want to bitch about. I always get annoyed by really small things, and Opeth always does this annoying drum part every time the song tempo changes or whatever. It's hard to explain, but like, there will be like accoustic guitars and clean vocals or whatever, and then the drums always do the same thing to queue a transition. It's weird because they haven't had the same drummer, but it's on almost every Opeth album.

But, I do want to mention that Mikael's growls are more brutal than ever before.
19.06.2008 - 20:00
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Dangerboner on 18.06.2008 at 23:27

Sorry dudes, but I couldn't get through Watershed. The first half is just too messy and unfocused, and then it just gets boring from there. I really need to listen to albums before I buy them. THIS YEAR FUCKING SUCKS.

Thats the impression I got from the 2 songs Ive heard. Too bad this album is going to almost definitely get an award in the MS Awards simply because of the name on it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.06.2008 - 16:26
Elio
Red Nightmare
watershed is not so good as i expected...it's not bad but still life's songs are just memory...my favourite remains orchid but blackwater park and still life are only a step behind
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
21.06.2008 - 03:16
Demorgiis
Account deleted

Dont ever compare St.Anger to Watershed again..
St.Anger is the biggest piece of shit.
Watershed is greatness.
You fail at life............................................
21.06.2008 - 07:52
Evil Chip
The album is amazing i just listened to it. I like the progressive aproach that they are taking now with watershed and ghost reveries. Opeth always surprises me. Good job again.
21.06.2008 - 12:29
Candlemass
Defaeco
Opeth create some golden melodies...
Opeth are a winter bands, but not crappy as many black metal bands,
and much more touching and less minimalistic.
Opeth deserve all the credit coming there way.
21.06.2008 - 16:06
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Well said.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.06.2008 - 16:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Man... Even if I don't like the last two album as much as I would love to... You can't compare them to Metallica and their awful album. It's just... Impossible.
Like Demorgiis said, you fail at life if you do that.
----
Rod, let me love you.
23.06.2008 - 03:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Guest on 21.06.2008 at 03:16

Dont ever compare St.Anger to Watershed again..
St.Anger is the biggest piece of shit.
Watershed is greatness.
You fail at life............................................

I agree partially with both of you, yes I think there is a lot of over-hype just because its Opeth, but at the same time, I think Akerfeldt would have to lose a few fingers in a freak accident before making an album shittier than St.Anger,
----
- George Carlin
24.06.2008 - 20:34
Demorgiis
Account deleted
St. Anger: The sound of a forty year old ex-alcoholic, staring down the barrel of middle age, while desperately trying to make an album.

WaterShed: Not the best Opeth album,but not even in the same universe as St. Anger...
24.06.2008 - 23:07
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Dude, he did not say that Watershed is as bad as St. Anger. He said that the hype around the album was the same. Read.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.06.2008 - 23:50
Demorgiis
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 24.06.2008 at 23:07

Dude, he did not say that Watershed is as bad as St. Anger. He said that the hype around the album was the same. Read.

thats still a comparison, buddy... and ppl shouldnt even be aloud to talk about st. anger.... It should be wiped out of metal history...
i have no respect for anyone who backs up st anger in any way...(not saying he did)
25.06.2008 - 13:35
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
So what if "its still a comparison"? It's a good one, in my opinion.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.06.2008 - 19:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Lucas on 25.06.2008 at 13:35

So what if "its still a comparison"? It's a good one, in my opinion.

That bad eh?
----
- George Carlin
25.06.2008 - 20:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Jesus Christ!!! The comparison Ktulu made is that both bands are very popular, and that both albums entered the charts. And the point he made, was that St. Anger was bad and Watershed was good. They both entered the charts, because both bands are big...
----

25.06.2008 - 23:56
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
I don't get all this hate over St. Anger that you cant even make a comparison. There are far worse albums that no-ones pays attetion to, but just cuz its Metallica everyone's so sensitive about the whole thing.
----

My Instagram
26.06.2008 - 00:08
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Lucas on 25.06.2008 at 20:28

Jesus Christ!!! The comparison Ktulu made is that both bands are very popular, and that both albums entered the charts. And the point he made, was that St. Anger was bad and Watershed was good. They both entered the charts, because both bands are big...

yes exactly (although i don't think st. anger was that crappy of an album). my point was that no matter what these bands release there will always be a lot of noise about their releases. Just wait till the next Metallica album comes out. It's gonna be considered like the best metal album ever released (kinda exaggerated on this one, but you know what i mean)
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
26.06.2008 - 18:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by BloodTears on 25.06.2008 at 23:56

I don't get all this hate over St. Anger that you cant even make a comparison. There are far worse albums that no-ones pays attetion to, but just cuz its Metallica everyone's so sensitive about the whole thing.

And I dare to say that if St. Anger was a debut album from a new band... the review's rating would be [at least] a 7...
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.06.2008 - 23:59
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.06.2008 at 18:12

Written by BloodTears on 25.06.2008 at 23:56

And I dare to say that if St. Anger was a debut album from a new band... the review's rating would be [at least] a 7...

So you get my point. i think everyone needs to get over St. Anger.
----

My Instagram
27.06.2008 - 01:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by BloodTears on 26.06.2008 at 23:59

Yeah... The album is awful. But that's it.
You can hear worse things... You need to turn on the MTV and look at Pussy cat dolls.

But nobody likes the truth
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.06.2008 - 19:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.06.2008 at 01:51

Written by BloodTears on 26.06.2008 at 23:59

Yeah... The album is awful. But that's it.
You can hear worse things... You need to turn on the MTV and look at Pussy cat dolls.

But nobody likes the truth

PROSTITUTES ARE ALLOWED TO SING TOO!

as long as Maroon 5 are writing music St.Anger isnt at rock bottom. But back to this Opeth album, I think the only thing I really dont like is the weird time changes (from the 2 songs Ive heard) Im not really into prog, but I can handle long songs that have a good flowing transitions (Ensiferums 'Victory Song' being a good example) but this whole st.op.g.o..s.top.go stuff is irritating for me, and I dont think it occurs as much on the previous albums.
----
- George Carlin
27.06.2008 - 21:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Doc G. on 27.06.2008 at 19:54

PROSTITUTES ARE ALLOWED TO SING TOO!

as long as Maroon 5 are writing music St.Anger isnt at rock bottom. But back to this Opeth album, I think the only thing I really dont like is the weird time changes (from the 2 songs Ive heard) Im not really into prog, but I can handle long songs that have a good flowing transitions (Ensiferums 'Victory Song' being a good example) but this whole st.op.g.o..s.top.go stuff is irritating for me, and I dont think it occurs as much on the previous albums.

Sorry, I forgot the prostitutes' rights.

Well, I'm not a prog fan, I actually find most of the prog bands really boring [Opeth is the first band with prog influences that I really like... along with Devil Doll, but their music is way to different.]

I don't see the problem with the lenght of the songs [I can stand Devil Doll's music that consist only of a song] But I understand your point about stop-go-stop.

For me the problem is about feeling, some songs are actually very good, but others are like "woooow, that was great.... Now I gonna listen to [insert another band here] now"
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.06.2008 - 22:40
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Its curious how you two don't really like prog and then like Opeth.

Music is really something. But why don't you like it? Why is it boring for u?
----

My Instagram
28.06.2008 - 12:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by BloodTears on 27.06.2008 at 22:40

Its curious how you two don't really like prog and then like Opeth.

Music is really something. But why don't you like it? Why is it boring for u?

Music means a lot for me, I give a damm for the genre. But if it doesn't "feed" me quite well... It just turns into beautiful music and that's it.

And about the prog... Maybe because Opeth do have other influences [like death metal] and it feels always interesting to hear something from them. Other bands like Akercocke have prog & black influences. Devil doll have some gothic and folk influences and I can continue the whole day...

But bands that are plain prog are difficult for me to join. Don't know why. Your question for me is like asking to a person "why don't you like carrots?". and the other person just say "Well... Because I don't like it, that's all."

I hope you can understand my point
----
Rod, let me love you.