Metal Storm logo
Detrimentum - Embracing This Deformity review

Reviewer:

4 users:
Band: Detrimentum
Album: Embracing This Deformity
Release date: February 2008

01. Scalestomeasurethemisfortuneofman
02. Disillusion Ethos (Of Torment And My Bleeding Shadow)
03. Blood Simple
04. Dark Eye
05. The Flesh Elemental
06. Born To Bleed (Losing Myself To Silence)
07. Negativity Flux
08. Ills To Which The Flesh Is Heir
09. The Contusions Of Remorse
10. Twilight's Slow Attrition

The metal scene and more particularly the extreme metal scene in England and the whole United Kingdom have been in question for some time now regarding the supposed lack of great death metal bands from these lands. England has a vast underground of talented death metal outfits and Detrimentum are just one of the bands at the forefront of the underground legions of hell just waiting to burst onto the scene and once again put the United Kingdom on the map of extreme music.

Detrimentum have grown musically and forged their own sound for their debut album "Embracing This Deformity". This full-length is one of fresh but very dark brutal death metal with a steely focus, all the musicians involved sound very solid both in their own capabilities as well as together in the band. The album is not by any means primitive or monotonous, as is the most common Achilles' heel among death, and especially brutal death metal bands, "Embracing This Deformity" is quite a technical saga without it being overly so. The guitars often have a gloomy feel to them and the drumming by former Gorerotted stick-man Jon Rushforth is possibly the most intense performance he has laid down for an album with unrelenting blastbeats and surplus double bass through every track of the album. Vocals are very guttural and performed fantastically with the music as it switches tempo again and again. Indeed this is relatively diverse music as far as unrelenting death metal goes.

The album has most, if not all of the elements required to make a great album. Detrimentum provide a performance as intense as you can get, one minute a complete wall of blastbeats and guttural screams at impressive speeds, and the next minute the guitars are carving a grim atmosphere to pave the way for the next brutal onslaught of drum skin pummelling. "Embracing This Deformity" sounds great both structurally - how the songs are written, as well as production-wise with a clean production, but not so crystal clear it takes all the feel and atmosphere out of the music. If anything negative can be noted, it would be that there are no true highlights on the album; the highs of the album are there but just not accentuated as much as they could be.

For a debut, "Embracing This Deformity" is a phenomenal album of focused and intense death metal that is both brutal and relatively diverse. You won't be able to stop your head banging to this one, Detrimentum sound mature and professional right from the start without losing any touch of the death metal spirit. It is time for the world to sit up and take note as Detrimentum fight the battle to get themselves and their homelands heard once more.

Written on 21.04.2008 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 76 users
22.04.2008 - 16:38
Damnated
Churchburner
Great album, definitely one of the best releases from this year.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
22.04.2008 - 17:24
Rating: 8
Sunioj

Very intense album, support! This is actually up there with Origin's release IMO... perhaps I like this more.
29.05.2008 - 04:35
Stigmatized
Very solid, especially for a debut. Look forward to hearing more from these guys.
04.08.2008 - 22:15
Abattoir

Yea, cool album...kind a very brutal staff, and I like it

Hits total: 5358 | This month: 7