Metal Storm logo
Mayhem - Guitarist Quits The Band

Mayhem guitarist / songwriter Blasphemer has decided to leave the band. Here's the musician's comment:

"It is with these written words that I hereby retract myself from my position as the guitar player of Mayhem.

The main reason behind this conclusion lies in the fact that I simply don't see any future for me in the band anymore, at least not a future I'd like to participate in over the coming years. I've been playing my part in the band now for more than 13 years already, having composed, produced and released several albums with great vision, dedication and craftsmanship, to arrive at this crossroad of opposites. Sooner or later, all things comes to an end, and in my case, this circle is complete.

For some of you this might not come as the biggest surprise, as I've clearly stated in several interviews that I was not sure what the next step would be. These "hints" were partly rooted in the fact that our latest album fulfilled all of the expectations, visions and aspects of negativity that I felt I wanted to express with this band, and also, of similar importance, that I felt tired of both the touring aspects, amidst its turbulence and personal differences, and also my role in the band.

It has been a dark, devoted and spellbinding journey, and as some beings and entities develop, others remain the same. I've developed my essence. No questions. However, the legacy of MAYHEM will / must always remain what it always has been, and I wish to thank all parts involved and to wish them all the best for the future. I also would like to thank my followers over the years, from "Wolf's Lair..." to "Ordo...", my vision has been clear. I'm also sure the band will continue with a respectful formation, and that an eventual album will be placed "up there", where it (should) belong.

I have now personally chosen to focus on other paths in terms of creativity and vision. My "child of heart" AVA INFERI has already a busy schedule for the future and our third album is being crafted as we speak. I will also re-surface with new will and blood in a future extreme project. You have not heard the last of me, on the contrary. It's all about to begin.

Note that the few already scheduled shows will go on as planned WITH me.

Rune Eriksen/Blasphemer".

Source: season-of-mist.com
Band profile: Mayhem
Posted: 22.04.2008 by SlaytallicA

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 39   Visited by: 215 users
22.04.2008 - 21:16
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
No Blasphemer, No Mayhem IMO...
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
22.04.2008 - 21:21
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Noooo!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.04.2008 - 21:29
Talvi

Gay bands always end
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
22.04.2008 - 21:34
Vermin

Written by Talvi on 22.04.2008 at 21:29

Gay bands always end

That's both an igorant and foolish statement..

Sad to see him go :/
22.04.2008 - 21:48
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
This sucks for mayhem. I can't see them going on without him
22.04.2008 - 22:06
Lucas
Mr. Noise

Gay bands always end

I hate personal wars, but this post calls for it. Mayhem is better than half of the bands in your favourite bands list.. yeah yeah, in my opinion of course. :
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.04.2008 - 22:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
RIP Mayhem, rip BM, rip old school metal no more metal metal wa sin past I wanna die(it wasnt literaly)
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.04.2008 - 22:25
NECURATU

So long Blasphemer, burn in hell and all that! I wouldn't be surprised the whole band calls it quits pretty soon, they've just about earraped everything that could be earraped.
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
22.04.2008 - 22:33
Talvi

Written by Lucas on 22.04.2008 at 22:06

Gay bands always end

I hate personal wars, but this post calls for it. Mayhem is better than half of the bands in your favourite bands list.. yeah yeah, in my opinion of course. :

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
22.04.2008 - 22:46
flamey

Written by Lucas on 22.04.2008 at 22:06

Gay bands always end

But that half doesnt include Opeth, Pain of Salvation, Agalloch or Moonsorrow right? *smiles*
22.04.2008 - 23:47
kaos666

Good night Mayhem. It was great while it lasted.
23.04.2008 - 00:07
Damnated
Churchburner
Mayhem is finished, i knew it when they released Ordo .. . it was just too good. everything from now on would have been in this record's shadow. that is why i'm glad that Blasphemer feels the same way and avoids the temptation to write again. i'm glad that he quit. Mayhem ended in a glorious way.

i just hope that there won't be another album..
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
23.04.2008 - 00:28
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Huh. Dont know what to think. I liked some albums with him but disliked others (lets please not get into this again). So I guess we just have to wait and see, its possible a better guitarist will come along, who knows.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.04.2008 - 01:08
ß
Problem?
This definatley is not good.. this will probably effect the band in a big way.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
23.04.2008 - 02:15
selken
Irreligious
Written by Katatronik on 22.04.2008 at 21:16

No Euronymous, No Mayhem IMO... xD
----
23.04.2008 - 04:53
M??aLWaRrIöR?

well another bad new.. whats next??
23.04.2008 - 05:17
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This fucking sucks. I honestly didn't know what to expect from Mayhem though because Ordo Ad Chao is just soooo fucking good....how could they expand on it? Even if they tried, it would probably have been a step down, just like what happened to Anaal Nathrakh, Nile, Behemoth, Akercocke, etc etc.
23.04.2008 - 06:54
xdissectionx

I like this band's releases, but it really should have ended after De Mysteriis imo
----
23.04.2008 - 08:14
Justice

oh
who's next ???????????????????????????
23.04.2008 - 10:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Damnated on 23.04.2008 at 00:07

Mayhem is finished, i knew it when they released Ordo .. . it was just too good. everything from now on would have been in this record's shadow. that is why i'm glad that Blasphemer feels the same way and avoids the temptation to write again. i'm glad that he quit. Mayhem ended in a glorious way.

i just hope that there won't be another album..

perhaps you're right. though, i wouldn't mind a new album, as long as they get a new 'visionary'. what i would really hate would be a new, average album. if it is controversial in one way or another, it would be ok.
----

23.04.2008 - 10:27
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
this is bad news about mayhem agian after Maniac leave the band , I wish take good guitarist after Blasphemer but really I can't see them going on without him
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
23.04.2008 - 11:23
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Wow this really sucks.
First they cancel coming to NZ and now they pretty much split up.
...I need a drink.
23.04.2008 - 12:40
Hamird
Lieutenant
Mayhem will lives untill Hellhammer, Necroburcher and the great Attila are in the band... Attila is enough to release a good album, look at his disco, no bad album lives there, wherever he was, with whoever he works, he release a great work.

So, just wait to the new guitarist will be announced and then say MayheM is dead... Maybe the band go to be better with the new guitarist. this is a change and changes allways are not bad...
23.04.2008 - 12:48
Shadowcross
The Summoner
HMM this sucks...
it is completely understandable from an artists perspective and could be for the best in a lot of ways...

so where does that leave us fans in Australia?? now im expecting they won't be touring at all...
23.04.2008 - 13:16
dancingdecember

Gay bands always end

gay people always use avatars like yours.

Written by selken on 23.04.2008 at 02:15

Written by Katatronik on 22.04.2008 at 21:16

No Euronymous, No Mayhem IMO... xD

haha this was good

on the topic...FUCK !!!
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
23.04.2008 - 13:41
Stigma
Account deleted
Too bad for the band I guess. Perhaps it's a new beginning for them.
23.04.2008 - 14:26
Mosquiller

But Alas!
MayheM should have been disbanded after death of euronymous... Fuck Hellhammer !!!
----
Written by Konrad on 10.12.2009 at 22:41

Hey, if you put your mind to something, you can accomplish it...just don't give up.
23.04.2008 - 15:19
Witcher

Written by Justice on 23.04.2008 at 08:14

oh
who's next ???????????????????????????

Shut up crocodile
23.04.2008 - 15:20
Witcher

Nooooooooooooo I wanna my Uncle Erikson
23.04.2008 - 18:47
Judas
The Amputator
I hope this doesn't impact on their touring...

Sucks for the album production too, but really, it's best if they quit while they're ahead IMO.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."

Hits total: 6724 | This month: 12