Metal Storm logo
Folding your arms

27.04.2008 - 15:26
Øyvind
Grave Digger
I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but when people fold their arms, they don't do it the same way. Some people put their right arm over left, like me (check my photo), others do it vice-versa, left over right. So, my questions are: which way do you fold your arms and do you know why people fold them differently? Does it have something to do whether you're right-handed or left-handed, or with personality, or something else...?
----
27.04.2008 - 16:55
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i actually noticed that lol!(yeah i suck that much ) and it's not right, because it can cause your spine to lean in the direction the arm you're holding behind. and imo it's not something about personality, but almost 100% if you're left or right handed.
27.04.2008 - 17:40
GT
Coffee!!
As Cursed said I think it has to do with whether you're left or right handed. I do it both ways actually (when crossing my arms that is!). Don't know why, but sometimes it just doesn't feel right the other way.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
27.04.2008 - 17:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by GT on 27.04.2008 at 17:40

As Cursed said I think it has to do with whether you're left or right handed. I do it both ways actually (when crossing my arms that is!). Don't know why, but sometimes it just doesn't feel right the other way.

yeah it feels weird. kind of like if someone told you to shake hands with your left hand
27.04.2008 - 17:59
GT
Coffee!!
I think you misunderstood me. What I meant to say was if I today cross my arms with the right arm on top I might do it with the left on top tomorrow, because the other way feels wrong tomorrow (or vice versa)
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
27.04.2008 - 21:25
Valentin B
Iconoclast
oh. anyway that feels weird to me all the time lol
27.04.2008 - 21:37
Stuart
MiseryKing
One must remember that the folding of arms is an incredibly important issue in metal. Sometimes I might buy an album purely based on the fact of how many folded arms I can see on the back cover. If you get one in which every single member has his arms folded then you know its gonna be a killer album. If only one persons arms are folded, it is only acceptable if he is the singer as this shows he is the most serious and you should listen carefuly to the words. Otherwise its the amount of folded arms that really dictates the quality of the music.
27.04.2008 - 21:39
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Stuart on 27.04.2008 at 21:37

One must remember that the folding of arms is an incredibly important issue in metal. Sometimes I might buy an album purely based on the fact of how many folded arms I can see on the back cover. If you get one in which every single member has his arms folded then you know its gonna be a killer album. If only one persons arms are folded, it is only acceptable if he is the singer as this shows he is the most serious and you should listen carefuly to the words. Otherwise it the amount of folded arms really dictates the quality of the music.

well it's in the general forum so the thread starter didn't think about music when he opened it
27.04.2008 - 21:47
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Valentin B on 27.04.2008 at 21:39

One must remember that the folding of arms is an incredibly important issue in metal. Sometimes I might buy an album purely based on the fact of how many folded arms I can see on the back cover. If you get one in which every single member has his arms folded then you know its gonna be a killer album. If only one persons arms are folded, it is only acceptable if he is the singer as this shows he is the most serious and you should listen carefuly to the words. Otherwise it the amount of folded arms really dictates the quality of the music.

well it's in the general forum so the thread starter didn't think about music when he opened it

Hehe, yeah I know, it just got me thinking about how alot of the albums I own contain some form of arm-folding. but to comment more exactly on the original post. I think your more dominant arm will always feel more comfortable going on-top. And because left handed people are thought by some to more artistic, I have just realised I should keep my eye open for covers which contain the left arms on top.
27.04.2008 - 22:18
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Written by Valentin B on 27.04.2008 at 16:55

i actually noticed that lol!(yeah i suck that much ) and it's not right, because it can cause your spine to lean in the direction the arm you're holding behind. and imo it's not something about personality, but almost 100% if you're left or right handed.

I'm not quite sure it's about which hand you're using more frequently, because for instance in my highschool class everyone was right-handed but they folded their arms in both ways, so I don't think it's about that.
----
27.04.2008 - 22:19
Torelli

Written by Stuart on 27.04.2008 at 21:47

I think your more dominant arm will always feel more comfortable going on-top.

Not allways I think. I'm left-handed, but when I'm folding my arms, the right-hand usually goes on-top.
27.04.2008 - 22:25
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Torelli on 27.04.2008 at 22:19

Written by Stuart on 27.04.2008 at 21:47

I think your more dominant arm will always feel more comfortable going on-top.

Not allways I think. I'm left-handed, but when I'm folding my arms, the right-hand usually goes on-top.

Hmmmmm.... well I guess that means my theory is wrong. Maybe if people have the more dominant arm over the less dominant arm it shows readiness to act quickly should they need to make any sudden action with the precision of the more dominant arm and that maybe people who have their dominant arm below are not usualyy required to make quick movements with needing the precision of their more dominant arm. It is possible that a more dominant arm on top shows a domineering personality and a dominant arm below means a passive personality.
27.04.2008 - 23:21
Ernis
狼獾
Do I sense the similarity with the issue of having left thumb or right thumb on top while having hands clasped together?
27.04.2008 - 23:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ernis on 27.04.2008 at 23:21

Do I sense the similarity with the issue of having left thumb or right thumb on top while having hands clasped together?

no, but the importance of it is just as low
02.05.2008 - 19:31
Achor
Account deleted
i used to have my left arm over my right (im right-handed), but a couple of years ago i changed it, because i wanted to do a thing that one of the gladiators from the show gladiators did. he would cross his arms, and then take out the right hand and point at the camera or the audience or whatever and wink. hehehe! i thought he was so cool, so i started doing the same. and now the other way feels totally wrong.
03.05.2008 - 14:11
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Written by Guest on 02.05.2008 at 19:31

i used to have my left arm over my right (im right-handed), but a couple of years ago i changed it, because i wanted to do a thing that one of the gladiators from the show gladiators did. he would cross his arms, and then take out the right hand and point at the camera or the audience or whatever and wink. hehehe! i thought he was so cool, so i started doing the same. and now the other way feels totally wrong.

I've heard somewhere that you need around 9 months to switch completely...
----
03.05.2008 - 14:21
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by GT on 27.04.2008 at 17:40

I do it both ways too, but also I am both armed or whatever it is called, I use both hands and legs almost equally effective, for example, when I write I usually use right hand cause in the school most of the kids used it so I did not want to be a freak using left hand, although I write with left one same as with right one, when playing football I use both legs, depending of person guarding me, if he's right legged I used left and in reverse, shoot with left cause it is stronger, I can't think of any other examples, but those two were the most obvious ones, damn, I'm freak too...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
03.05.2008 - 16:16
Achor
Account deleted
Written by Øyvind on 03.05.2008 at 14:11

Written by Guest on 02.05.2008 at 19:31

I've heard somewhere that you need around 9 months to switch completely...

well, it took a while before it stopped feeling weird, but not 9 months.. more like two weeks or something
03.05.2008 - 16:49
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
what the hell kind ov topic is this?
04.05.2008 - 13:10
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Written by Guest on 03.05.2008 at 16:49

what the hell kind ov topic is this?

Is it too weird or not too weird?
----
16.07.2008 - 12:38
Pole Kitten
Account deleted
right over left, always. it feels wrong the other way.
23.07.2008 - 00:58
Gordon Freeman

If I don't think about it I go right over left. But if I make a conscious effort to cross left over right I don't actually feel any different.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
23.07.2008 - 01:08
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Woow. What a weird topic man Ok, anyway, Im right handed, and do it left over right... i guess. yeah....
----
23.07.2008 - 03:55
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Stalker on 23.07.2008 at 01:08

What a weird topic man

I was just about to post that but you beat me to it...
I'm left handed and I always go to put my left arm over my right..
05.11.2010 - 14:26
Yavanna

Left over right, always. I never cared about it, but after seeing this post, I begun to pay attention.
I am right handed, but do some things with left hand, such using the my computer's mouse, while writing with right hand. My college classmates find it very strange. I do both things at same time.
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
05.11.2010 - 14:55
Kennoth

One must remember that the folding of arms is an incredibly important issue in metal. Sometimes I might buy an album purely based on the fact of how many folded arms I can see on the back cover. If you get one in which every single member has his arms folded then you know its gonna be a killer album. If only one persons arms are folded, it is only acceptable if he is the singer as this shows he is the most serious and you should listen carefuly to the words. Otherwise its the amount of folded arms that really dictates the quality of the music.

OT: I'm right handed, but I always fold my left hand on top of my right. I guess it's just instinctive.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
05.11.2010 - 21:48
Ernis
狼獾
I think I fold them interchangeably... there's no big difference, is there?
08.11.2010 - 08:13
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Never thought about it much and I rarely ever fold my arms actually. More comfortable with left over right.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
10.11.2010 - 22:35
treptolemus
aphotic_zoning
Well, left over right -that's usual for me. More comfortable and easy to do.
But... right thumb over left thumb.
Legs: both ways (left over right and the other way) - fine and comfortable.

Written by Himann on 08.11.2010 at 08:13

Never thought about it much and I rarely ever fold my arms actually. More comfortable with left over right.

I think folding arms shows a "defensive" position.
----
\m/etalstor\m/
16.11.2010 - 14:07
Kennoth

About leg folding, I prefer folding left over right as well.
----
*insert something deep and profound*