06. Fathers Perversion
07. Suicidal Savagery
08. Doomed
09. United In Deception
10. Decimated
11. Summon
12. Sweet Revenge [Motörhead cover]
13. Down [Animate Records bonus]

We've come to a point in which is hard to keep track of all the Death Metal albums released every month, there are so many and, as I've come to realise, many are so uninspired that there's no point. A few bands are always worth a try though, and I list Krisiun as one of them, not because they are particularly original, but because I know I'll get some competent brutal Death Metal. Sometimes that's all I need and Krisiun seem to want to make sure we'll hear them almost every year, which is very rewarding for any fan, no matter how much you think you don't mind the bands you like taking a long time to release new material, deep down you know you wish they'd put out a new one every year.

So here we have "AssassiNation," this Brazilian trio's fifth work this decade. The first song leaves no doubt: this is going to be a savage experience from start to finish. High-speed percussion that would scare even the drummers of Kataklysm, riffs as evil and brutal as the pioneers of the genre set as norm, generic anti-Christian lyrics growled violently by vocalist Alex Camargo, everything in the right place. There are few surprises here, no one expects many anyway, a couple of interludes and a good Motörhead cover are all that's needed to guarantee that this album offers something beyond the formula. Even so, a few tracks stand out to me, the ones where they allow some groove or melody into their guitar work, like "Suicidal Savagery" and "United In Deception."

A record like this may be labelled as repetitive, and I'm really not able to contradict that, I started skipping a few tracks myself after the first three listens, but it is also a given fact that Krisiun's musicians are talented and they succeed in offering what their fans expect from them, more, in fact, then they have in some previous records. "AssassiNation" is powerful and solid enough to keep their status above several other bands that wish and try every month to be at least half as good as Krisiun.

Written by Passenger | 24.08.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 97 users
28.04.2008 - 05:35
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
i'm not very demanding to death metal... so this album seems fine for me, another quality work from Krisiun.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
27.03.2010 - 22:56
Rating: 8
I_Die_Often
Damn! Play this back to back with Aeons Rise To Dominate and I feel ready to conquer the world!
So much energy and hate and BrOOtallity!
Very good album!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
19.11.2011 - 05:56
sepulkisser
Only 7??

This album is fucking perfect!!! Kolenses are the MASTERS OF DEATH METAL!!!

Hits total: 4750 | This month: 7