09. Lament
10. Chiron
11. Deuteronomy Excerpt II
12. Understanding The Water
13. Deuteronomy Excerpt III
14. Shock And Awe
15. Red Sky
16. World Drum

I'm not sure that everybody here knows Robbi Robb which is nevertheless one of the most important and original artist from the South Africa musical scene (I'm not only talking about rock here). On a side I totally understand why Tribe After Tribe have never been a well known combo, their music is simply too atypical to be loved by a mainstream audience but if you're a bit open minded and like tribal music I highly recommend to listen to their whole discography including the new album "M.O.A.B. Stories From Deuteronomy"

Tribe After Tribe is a really engaged band and the new album will not differ of this habit. Robbi Rob is a peaceful man, anti militarist, ecologist and who only wants that human-beings live in peace and harmony. Don't believe that our guy lives in a cave, he knows what's happening on Earth nowadays and his new album is one more time a really hard diatribe against our world. It doesn't mean that the lyrics of "M.O.A.B. Stories From Deuteronomy" are totally pessimistic but Robbi Hob without forgetting hopes, says what he wants to say here. I know that some people will be totally hermetic to this message but damn it's good to read such lyrics sometime and it's definitely better than poor fantasy stories?

On the other hand, if the lyrics of "M.O.A.B. Stories From Deuteronomy" are extremely good, the music of the new Tribe After Tribe is really special. I'm not saying that it's bad, but the mix of Grunge, Hard Rock, Progressive Rock and Tribal sounds is really "weird" and I'm afraid that some people will not understand it (and I'm not blaming them here, Tribe After Tribe is a really elitist band unfortunately). This album is really modern actually and you must be aware that you'll have to like World Music or Metal a la "Roots Bloody Roots" (without the powerful heavy riffs) to love "M.O.A.B. Stories From Deuteronomy". It's really original though and if you think that you can like Hard Rock/Grunge music with Didgeridoo, Djembe and other tribal instruments, it should be ok for you. It's never easy to write such kind of music and I think that despite a perfect interpretation and a really good production, "M.O.A.B. Stories From Deuteronomy" will remain an album for the fans of the band only but who know, maybe that this really exotic music will become a must for you with time?

I cannot say that "M.O.A.B. Stories From Deuteronomy" is the album of the year, this release is definitely too complex and elitist to be really catchy but I have to salute the work of Robbi Hob. It's hard to be more original and surprising so have a look on this release, be a bit open minded and I'm sure that you'll like this really cool "Progressive" Grunge release.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 29.04.2008

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 56 users
29.04.2008 - 23:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Damn, didn't know these South Africans were still around. I really do love their second and third full-lengths which were qute well received by the metal press in the Netherlands at the time. SO go check out Tribe After Tribe & Love Under Will
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.04.2008 - 23:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Just listened to the two tracks off this album on their myspace site and they REALLY are a mix of Warrior Soul & Jane's Addiction now it seems.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 5201 | This month: 4