Metal Storm logo
Symphony X

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 17.05.2006 - 05:23
One of my favorite Progressive Metal bands Symphony X has released nothing but great albums their entire career my favorite being the Divine Wings of Tragedy. Michael Romeo is a great neo-classical guitar player and can sweep extremely well. Michael LePond is also a very talented bass player with a great style and often uses techniques in their songs such as tapping. Michael Pinella the keyboard player is also amazing and sometimes samples great classical pieces in their songs. The drumming by Jason Rullo is also very unique and I find it easy to tell a Symphony X song from other bands similar to them by his drumming alone. Then there's Russell Allen who is my favorite Prog singer he has such a great voice and it really suites the music. In my opinion Symphony X is one of the top Progressive Metal bands around today and are far superior to Dream Theater.
21.11.2008 - 08:11
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
Pretty good band-- not my fav prog-ish band tho... didnt Paradise Lost win album of the year on this site though?
26.11.2008 - 17:30
Ascendant187

Yeah, Russell Allen's vocals are insanely good. I really enjoyed Paradise Lost even though I was slow on picking it up. A friend of mine badgered me until I did, though. I guess I should thank her lol.
26.11.2008 - 17:33
Luciferion

Written by Guest on 21.11.2008 at 08:11

Pretty good band-- not my fav prog-ish band tho... didnt Paradise Lost win album of the year on this site though?

Oddly enough i hadn't heard of Symphony X at all until Paradise Lost. After giving it a listen i checked them out, and they are now my favourite Prog band. Divine wings of tragedy, and the odyssey are both amazing cds, and Paradise Lost was rightfully voted top by this website.
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
27.11.2008 - 02:52
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I love Symphony X but for some reason I haven't been giving Paradise Lost any of my time...
07.12.2008 - 18:10
Cidinho
Account deleted
Written by Luciferion on 26.11.2008 at 17:33

Written by Guest on 21.11.2008 at 08:11

Oddly enough i hadn't heard of Symphony X at all until Paradise Lost. After giving it a listen i checked them out, and they are now my favourite Prog band. Divine wings of tragedy, and the odyssey are both amazing cds, and Paradise Lost was rightfully voted top by this website.

Same for me. All my prog. needs were being filled by Dream Theater til then.
08.12.2008 - 15:06
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by Guest on 27.11.2008 at 02:52

I love Symphony X but for some reason I haven't been giving Paradise Lost any of my time...

Im the same. To be honest, i dont really think it meets the hype? Is it because ive heard them for too long now? Not sure. Its so boring to me, even though the music isnt bad, i know its good, but not.... grabbing.
09.12.2008 - 01:28
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Dark Cornatus: Hmmm...haven't seen you around in awhile...I don't think I've talked to you in months...

I listened to it two years ago and never listened to it again I dunno why...I can't even remember any songs from it...weird...
09.12.2008 - 01:34
Hrothdane

Paradise Lost was the first Symphony X album I ever heard, so maybe that is why I like it so much. I really love the vocals on that album. Also, a couple songs from the album resonated with me b/c they related to characters I was creating.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
09.12.2008 - 14:20
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by Guest on 09.12.2008 at 01:28

@Dark Cornatus: Hmmm...haven't seen you around in awhile...I don't think I've talked to you in months...

I listened to it two years ago and never listened to it again I dunno why...I can't even remember any songs from it...weird...

Yeh. i havent been very active over the last 2 years. Mainly due to Uni and having a partner. Been on a little more now since uni is over for this year. I remember weve had some good discussions in the past
I havent really listened to it other than maybe 3 times i played it when i first got it.
11.12.2008 - 19:24
DrBadger
Account deleted
Symphony X are awesome.
Michael Romeo is an insane guitarist.
12.12.2008 - 18:37
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Guest on 09.12.2008 at 01:28

I bought it when it came out, listened to it twice and put it away. Honestly I find Symphony X really boring. Sure they may all be great musicians, but every song sounds the same to me, well at least most of the songs.
----
(space for rent)
12.12.2008 - 19:52
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Dane: I think it has to do with the riff machinery being Romeo...
17.12.2008 - 06:58
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Guest on 12.12.2008 at 19:52

Maybe! This past week I have been really trying to get into Symphony X, and I just can't. I love Allen's voice, and it seems everything else he does I am really fond of. His albums with Jorn are so much fun, his solo alum Atomic Soul is great Blues/Hard Rock, and his work with Arjen is really great. I really wish I could like SX, I just can't.
----
(space for rent)
17.12.2008 - 07:42
Hrothdane

Written by Dane Train on 17.12.2008 at 06:58

Maybe! This past week I have been really trying to get into Symphony X, and I just can't. I love Allen's voice, and it seems everything else he does I am really fond of. His albums with Jorn are so much fun, his solo alum Atomic Soul is great Blues/Hard Rock, and his work with Arjen is really great. I really wish I could like SX, I just can't.

Thats fine, no band connects with everyone. What matters is that you tried something and gave it an honest effort though, which is worth respect. If only more people had that attitude about music...
----

14.01.2009 - 22:20
MeloDeathViking

I just got Paradise Lost and I love it. It's such a great album. Can definitly see why it won out for best Progressive Metal album in 2007.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
15.01.2009 - 06:40
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Hrothdane on 17.12.2008 at 07:42

Written by Dane Train on 17.12.2008 at 06:58

It took me a LONG time to get into them. My friends used to go on and on about the Odyssey and thats like 7 years ago, and i just couldnt see it. And now that they're totally over them i LOVE Symphony X! I only started liking them about 3 years ago, so perhaps your time will come, who knows. Paradise Lost is absolutely phenomenal....it probably doesnt compete with the past two albums from Seventh Wonder but its still damn good...

Have you listened to Seventh Wonder? Absolutely epic band prob the new up and coming kings of progressive metal...
20.01.2009 - 04:01
toxik-
Account deleted
One of my favorite progressive metal bands too! When I first heard Twilight In Olympus, I loved them right away until now!
07.02.2009 - 21:01
Hybris

I've heard from them Paradise Lost and I love it, but I have also tried to listen to other songs and I don't like them this much so... any recommendations?
----
Opening a new scar, closing the wounds with a knife
08.02.2009 - 16:23
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Hybris on 07.02.2009 at 21:01

I've heard from them Paradise Lost and I love it, but I have also tried to listen to other songs and I don't like them this much so... any recommendations?

Try listening to "The Odyssey" - especially the songs "Accolade" and "Awakenings", those 2 songs are better than anything on Paradise Lost and im a HUGE PL fan. The Odyssey is their best album, followed by PL
08.02.2009 - 23:33
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Hybris: I personally think that The Divine Wings of Tragedy has some of their best material...also, The Damnation Game has some kick ass Symphony X songs here and there...the band themselves treat their debut album like an EP and don't like it too much but I tend to disagree...it has great riffs and catchy progressive metal tunes on it...I would suggest all that material to listen to...
08.02.2009 - 23:47
Soliloquy

I need to pick up odyssey. but i loved paradise lost and its aggressive heavy-ness. keep in mind, the only other album of SX i have is 'V'. so comparing V to paradise lost, i loved every bit of it. V is a great album and i loved how beautiful and fragile sounding some of the songs are. and paradise lost on the other hand is just aggressive and impactful(atleast in my opinion).

and apparently odyssey is more heavy than progressive, which i tend to like. but i just cant find that damn album anywhere. of if i do, it tends to be twice the price of normal cds...whats up with that?!

and no, i dont support burning cds at all...
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
17.02.2009 - 22:36
bard

I've been listening to a LOT of this band lately, and this week I thought I might toss some of it on during my art lab class, just to see if anyone else would like it. I thought I could start with a few songs from Divine Wings of Tragedy, so I put on Of Sins and Shadows...and the first word that comes from someone's mouth is 'Dragonforce'...

I have lost all faith in the world.
----
28.03.2009 - 16:49
Black_Sheep

I love this band. It's so great, so epic. I've been listening a lot of them lately, especially their newest album (Paradise Lost) which i find as the best one. I have also been practising their songs on guitar

But that's not the point, the thing i wanted to discuss about: has there been any talk about SX DVD? Now would be the perfect time to release a great live DVD. I don't understand why they haven't already.... That would be so great.
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
28.03.2009 - 17:06
Hrothdane

Written by bard on 17.02.2009 at 22:36

I've been listening to a LOT of this band lately, and this week I thought I might toss some of it on during my art lab class, just to see if anyone else would like it. I thought I could start with a few songs from Divine Wings of Tragedy, so I put on Of Sins and Shadows...and the first word that comes from someone's mouth is 'Dragonforce'...

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I listen to metal all day at work, and one of my coworkers insists that Hansi, Russell Allen, and Kai Hansen sound the same. I know hes probably just trying to be an ass (which would be perfectly in character for him), but its still annoying.
----

28.03.2009 - 18:21
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
They said Dragonforce because they hear speedy guitar solos and think only Dragonforce because those guys have slapped a bad name on technical guitar solos because they overdo it...
29.03.2009 - 01:55
nehrodwarf

really! Symphony X are a great band, their songs are amazing, but face they with Dream Theater...
it's too hard to deicide: Dream Theater also it's too good.

But I prefer Symphony X
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
30.03.2009 - 01:06
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by nehrodwarf on 29.03.2009 at 01:55

really! Symphony X are a great band, their songs are amazing, but face they with Dream Theater...
it's too hard to deicide: Dream Theater also it's too good.

But I prefer Symphony X

I prefer Suspyre to those 2 bands Their latest album "When Time Fades" is absolutely jaw dropping
02.06.2009 - 22:16
His Eminence
Account deleted
Written by Hrothdane on 28.03.2009 at 17:06

Written by bard on 17.02.2009 at 22:36

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I listen to metal all day at work, and one of my coworkers insists that Hansi, Russell Allen, and Kai Hansen sound the same. I know hes probably just trying to be an ass (which would be perfectly in character for him), but its still annoying.

I recently showed Symphony X to a friend of mine, thinking he would like it. He said, "If I liked DragonForce, I'd like this." I was shocked.
05.06.2009 - 00:30
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Been listening to V again for the last two days. truly unforgettable melodies
----
loves 小巫
05.06.2009 - 02:24
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
I think V and Twilight in Olympus are my favs, Divine Wings of Tragedy is next then Oddyssey.
I still cant get into Paradise Lost, Oddyssey has song good songs, but yeh...
Their early stuff can be ok, but not as tight as the others.