Metal Storm logo
Symphony X

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 17.05.2006 - 05:23
One of my favorite Progressive Metal bands Symphony X has released nothing but great albums their entire career my favorite being the Divine Wings of Tragedy. Michael Romeo is a great neo-classical guitar player and can sweep extremely well. Michael LePond is also a very talented bass player with a great style and often uses techniques in their songs such as tapping. Michael Pinella the keyboard player is also amazing and sometimes samples great classical pieces in their songs. The drumming by Jason Rullo is also very unique and I find it easy to tell a Symphony X song from other bands similar to them by his drumming alone. Then there's Russell Allen who is my favorite Prog singer he has such a great voice and it really suites the music. In my opinion Symphony X is one of the top Progressive Metal bands around today and are far superior to Dream Theater.
01.03.2011 - 05:51
Xtopher
Actually it hasnt been revealed yet, its just assumptions cause thats the artwork they have in the tshirts sold at the concerts.
and it makes sense, being "ICONOCLAST" the title of the new album.
check the church of the machine web or the SX forums on ultimatemetal, theres lots of info on the new album.
----
07.03.2011 - 23:14
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Apparently they played two new songs in Paris.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
08.03.2011 - 02:09
Iriki
Written by BloodTears on 07.03.2011 at 23:14

Apparently they played two new songs in Paris.

Yeah, Here are the songs:

13.03.2011 - 18:07
JÄY
Metal slave
Whew.... in an age where bands give us daily updates its hard to be patient in between SX's very seldom updates
20.03.2011 - 22:43
Aeonian_Lich
Russell's live performances on these 2 songs are magnificent. In fact it is far more better than his older live performances that I've seen. Can't wait for the new album.
21.03.2011 - 15:59
Storchillarn
It's hard to judge the new stuff based on those live-performances but I'm not super enthusiastic. Although, I'm not in the power metal-mood at the moment so maybe that's why.
29.03.2011 - 23:17
Xtopher
Artwork and setlist revealed. Double album, here we go!
----
29.03.2011 - 23:25
Yasmine
Written by Xtopher on 29.03.2011 at 23:17

I am hawt for it. lol
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
29.03.2011 - 23:36
Xtopher
Written by Yasmine on 29.03.2011 at 23:25

I am hawt for it. lol

you better be [wo]man, we´ve waited too long for this, but i forgive everything just because they didnt try to shorten the album (as obviously they were asked to in the first place by nuclear blast) and convinced them to release a doble album cause it was worth it. thats having some balls.
and also, DVD next year, finally!!

if what Russell says is true, we might be looking at a full orchestrated live dvd from SX, that would just be too much to handle for me.
----
30.03.2011 - 00:00
Yasmine
Written by Xtopher on 29.03.2011 at 23:36

Written by Yasmine on 29.03.2011 at 23:25

I am hawt for it. lol

you better be [wo]man, we´ve waited too long for this, but i forgive everything just because they didnt try to shorten the album (as obviously they were asked to in the first place by nuclear blast) and convinced them to release a doble album cause it was worth it. thats having some balls.
and also, DVD next year, finally!!

if what Russell says is true, we might be looking at a full orchestrated live dvd from SX, that would just be too much to handle for me.

I'll have to have to get me that too!
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
31.05.2011 - 19:54
Tetravirulence
Huge fan of Michael Romeo, his tapping is the most clear sounding ever and solos are there for reasons just not for the sake of it
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
31.05.2011 - 22:45
Xtopher
By now everyone interested in the album should have listened to the iTunes samples circling around youtube as well.
What do u think of em?

i liked some, i didnt like as much others, but u cant judge an SX song for a 1 minute sample, ive been wrong before...oh the wrongness lol.
----
02.06.2011 - 22:09
NyarlathoTim
Written by Xtopher on 31.05.2011 at 22:45

By now everyone interested in the album should have listened to the iTunes samples circling around youtube as well.
What do u think of em?

i liked some, i didnt like as much others, but u cant judge an SX song for a 1 minute sample, ive been wrong before...oh the wrongness lol.

Symphony X is one of those bands where I know I'm going to buy the album (I already pre-ordered it) so there's no point in listening to any tracks before I have the CD in my hand. I don't know why; I'm just weird that way.

In fact, when they played the new songs on tour, that's when I went to take a leak and grab another beer.
----
Burning Shadows - US Power Metal
Recently Vacated Graves - Zombie Metal
Isenmor - Folk Metal
05.06.2011 - 10:12
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by NyarlathoTim on 02.06.2011 at 22:09

Written by Xtopher on 31.05.2011 at 22:45

What do u think of em?

Symphony X is one of those bands where I know I'm going to buy the album (I already pre-ordered it) so there's no point in listening to any tracks before I have the CD in my hand. I don't know why; I'm just weird that way.

In fact, when they played the new songs on tour, that's when I went to take a leak and grab another beer.

you and me both! i dont care for bands playing unreleased songs live, all that much...let alone 2. I did like em though
05.06.2011 - 17:20
Iriki
I just have seen Jesus in Pain of Salvation concert yesterday...Symphony X is Today

*awesome face*
07.07.2011 - 18:54
thehondo
I find it hard to believe this thread is not buzzing! The new disc is absolutely fantastic and takes them even deeper into new places. Some of the prog snobs think its too guitar driven, its perfect for members here, (#1 Hot Albums). Have they finally taken the crown from DT?
----
No time like the present
08.07.2011 - 01:17
Iriki
I love their later sounding, I think their old virtuous/polished/epic power one somewhat boring... ):
08.07.2011 - 10:30
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by thehondo on 07.07.2011 at 18:54

I find it hard to believe this thread is not buzzing! The new disc is absolutely fantastic and takes them even deeper into new places. Some of the prog snobs think its too guitar driven, its perfect for members here, (#1 Hot Albums). Have they finally taken the crown from DT?

It is buzzing, in the Iconoclast review thread.
Taken the crown from DT? The bands are too dissimilar to be fighting for the same crown. Besides, SX almost completely abandoned progressive wankery* on their last 2 releases, while DT show no signs of doing so.

*progressive wankery - excessive display of instrumental prowess, rarely justified by song structure, mostly caused by a desire to show off
08.07.2011 - 14:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'll listen to the new stuff this weekend, if time allowes it. I really liked Paradise Lost, so my expectations are high.
----
09.07.2011 - 11:51
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Daniell on 08.07.2011 at 10:30

*progressive wankery - excessive display of instrumental prowess, rarely justified by song structure, mostly caused by a desire to show off

haha perfect
10.07.2011 - 23:40
thehondo
Written by Daniell on 08.07.2011 at 10:30

It is buzzing, in the Iconoclast review thread.
Taken the crown from DT? The bands are too dissimilar to be fighting for the same crown. Besides, SX almost completely abandoned progressive wankery* on their last 2 releases, while DT show no signs of doing so.

Hahaha! That is spot on! I personally wanted both bands to get more aggressive but still mix in the prog elements. SX has taken that to another level. They still get lumped in the same genre, eventhough fans like us know how different they really are. That's the reason I pose the question.
----
No time like the present
15.10.2011 - 14:42
Vikcen
Metálico
Sala Penelope Madrid 13/10/11:

Was awesome!
16.11.2011 - 20:20
I could never get into DT and don't own any of their albums for the previously mentioned "wankery." SX blends everything I love in Metal from both smooth and harsh vocals from Allen (best in the business IMO) to Romero's guitar work and song writing. I love all their albums though and have enjoyed seeing them stay similar but not be afraid to expand their sounds or give less than their best quality stuff. I was able to see them live in '08 when promoting PL and now I get to see them live again in '12 with IE! Cannot wait!
17.11.2011 - 21:59
Just recently started to listen to these guys when I got the album Paradise Lost which I enjoyed, can anyone recommend the next one to listen to or just go for the whole discography?
----
Heavy Metal Bullet
Blog for New Metal Bands and Album/Gig Reviews
http://heavymetalbullet.blogspot.com/
17.11.2011 - 23:03
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by HeavyMetalBullet on 17.11.2011 at 21:59

Just recently started to listen to these guys when I got the album Paradise Lost which I enjoyed, can anyone recommend the next one to listen to or just go for the whole discography?

Whatever from "Divine Wings of Tragedy" through "Iconoclast" will be good enough.
18.11.2011 - 01:03
Vikcen
Metálico

The Odyssey =)
18.11.2011 - 07:03
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Vikcen on 18.11.2011 at 01:03

The Odyssey =)

I second that.
29.11.2011 - 06:03
NLthrasher
Written by JÄY on 18.11.2011 at 07:03

Written by Vikcen on 18.11.2011 at 01:03

The Odyssey =)

I second that.

For sure!
13.03.2012 - 13:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Does anyone here know any Symphony X songs on guitar? I know Romeo is one of the most technical guitarists out there but I'm currently trying to expand my musical abilities and so I decided to try to learn the song "Iconoclast" on rhythm guitar, should be quite interesting as I've been struggling just with the intro riff for about 1 hour now haha. I can play it now as it's a lot easier than it sounds (half picking, half tapping) but I can't get it to sound as clear as on the album
13.03.2012 - 21:13
Storchillarn
Written by Valentin B on 13.03.2012 at 13:33

Does anyone here know any Symphony X songs on guitar? I know Romeo is one of the most technical guitarists out there but I'm currently trying to expand my musical abilities and so I decided to try to learn the song "Iconoclast" on rhythm guitar, should be quite interesting as I've been struggling just with the intro riff for about 1 hour now haha. I can play it now as it's a lot easier than it sounds (half picking, half tapping) but I can't get it to sound as clear as on the album

I tried learning the riffs in Inferno but there's always some lick or part of a riff that's just too crazy. Of Sins And Shadows works fairly well.. until the soloing begins.