Metal Storm logo
Yahoo.com's best and worst "hair metal" bands of all time.

Original post

Posted by LeChron James, 03.05.2008 - 07:25
Yahoo.com released its list of the best and worst "hair metal" bands of all time. some of these, in my opinion, arent hair metal bands, but then again Yahoo.com wouldnt know music if it were being beaten over the head with it. yes, being beaten over the head with music. it could happen

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/32122/the-25-best-hair-metal-bands

http://new.us.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/32270/the-25-worst-hair-metal-bands

i'll leave the rest to discussion...
17.03.2009 - 23:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Charly546 on 16.03.2009 at 10:56

Written by Doc G. on 16.03.2009 at 04:52

Written by -Valhalla- on 13.06.2008 at 06:19

The undisputed worst hair metal band is Nitro.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tf_FySOVBGA

Don't you mean BEST hair metal band? Michael Angelo Batio is a God amongst guitarists.

That doesn't stop the band from sucking... (Based on the first album and assumption that the second is not different). Also, there are many bands which have very capable members, but still suck.

Either way that band is totally awesome. It was quite obvious that they weren't supposed to be taken all that seriously anyways.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.03.2009 - 15:44
DayFly
What a stupid list. Looks like I ought to reconsider my music tastes, I mean W.A.S.P. and Lizzy Borden are two of my favourite bands. But to be honest, the two lists seem to be more about superficial charisma than music, it's so much easier hating Bret Michaels and Sebastian Bach for participating on reality TV shows and loving Axl Rose for being a recluse than actually having to comment on music.
21.03.2009 - 22:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by DayFly on 21.03.2009 at 15:44

What a stupid list. Looks like I ought to reconsider my music tastes, I mean W.A.S.P. and Lizzy Borden are two of my favourite bands. But to be honest, the two lists seem to be more about superficial charisma than music, it's so much easier hating Bret Michaels and Sebastian Bach at participating on reality TV and loving Axl Rose for being a recluse than actually having to comment on music.

Keep in mind this guy probably worships Radiohead. Don't ask me why or how that ties in, but he really seems like the type judging by his writing.

I'm glad Poison was on the worst list, number 1 though? Oddly enough two of the bands that were on his "best" list really should have taken number 1 on the worst list - Loverboy and Winger. I really need to stop looking at this list, and I'd really like to contact this guy by e-mail or something and ask this guy what the fuck is wrong with him.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.03.2009 - 22:21
Biedrik
Heh, I love how Yahoo had to pick out non-glam bands to make a list of good glam metal.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
24.03.2009 - 20:47
Best Glam band? Celtic Frost OBV!
18.04.2009 - 03:52
BuzzPhil
Those two lists are ridiculous! Wasn't it supposed to be on Hair Metal??? Most of them are Glam Metal or Hard Rock.
18.04.2009 - 10:33
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Oh, again, I hate this kind of lists of Yahoo, still I read some of them. Who the hell does this sucky documents? The wouldn't recognize Metal even if they were at the Wacken fest.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
20.04.2009 - 16:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BuzzPhil on 18.04.2009 at 03:52

Those two lists are ridiculous! Wasn't it supposed to be on Hair Metal??? Most of them are Glam Metal...

Yes, your point being?
Hair Metal is the exact same thing as Glam Metal, just a different name for it. And back in the Eighties us in the thrash scene would call it Poser Metal because of all the posing they did.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.04.2009 - 01:38
BuzzPhil
Yeah... Glam and Hair Metal is probably the same thing but my opinion is that Guns n' Roses, Bon Jovi, Scorpions, Ozzy Osbourne, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Whitesnake and W.A.S.P. are more Hard Rock/Heavy Metal than Hair or Glam Metal. But that's my opinion.
22.04.2009 - 04:15
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Where is Blind Guardian?
22.04.2009 - 16:49
-Soulreaper-
Written by Introspekrieg on 22.04.2009 at 04:15

Where is Blind Guardian?

In Germany....

23.04.2009 - 16:26
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I agree to some extent to the good list (except for Kix - how did they make it there?).

Anyway I have respect and really like half of thre bands in the "worst" list: Great White, Dokken, Mr Big, WASP, Europe, Whitesnake, Skid Row, Extreme and even Bad English.

First of all I wish people would stop classifying Whitesnake as hair metal (is it just the image?) because even with 1987 and Slip of the tongue, it's still bluesy driven hard rock if I may say so.

Mr Big - I really love listening to these guys - the bass work is amazing, vocals really good, guitars excellent and the drumming was more than decent; or is it that the guy who wrote that so called article bashes them just because of the sappy To be with You (that would be silly and wrong).

WASP - well, great band if you ask me, enjoyable, pissed off hard & heavy.

Europe is an easy prey to bash because of the commercial The Final Countdown - but even with that album they don't deserve all the negativity they get - yes, some of the lyrics are really terrible, other than that I say John Norum's guitar work saves the album, for me at least. People should try the early Europe, before they reached the mainstream, they will definitely have some surprises there.

Skid Row - their first two albums are really good, they just don't deserve to be in the worst list.

Dokken - another more than decent hard & heavy band that does not deserve any negativity.

Extreme - I think it's the same situation as with Mr Big - did he judge the band only for their sappy More than Words? Because the musicians are skilled and the vocals more than decent if you ask me.

Great White - these guys are enjoyable even as Led Zeppelin clones, honestly, there are far worse bands than this (some of them are in the best list for God sake).

As for Bad English - I like them because I like Journey (not even ashamed to admit this) and I really like Neal Shon as a guitarist, so there you have it...

And one last thing - how is Scorpions a hair metal band? As for Queensryche being hair metal, I start questioning the person's knowledge of music...

by the way - has anyone noticed that the Mr Big photo is not even them?? It's David Lee Roth Band line up with Billy Shheehan and steve Vai (I don't remember the drummer's name, my apologies) What can I say but LOL!
21.05.2009 - 20:14
-Valhalla-
Written by Charly546 on 16.03.2009 at 10:56

Written by Doc G. on 16.03.2009 at 04:52

Written by -Valhalla- on 13.06.2008 at 06:19

The undisputed worst hair metal band is Nitro.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tf_FySOVBGA

Don't you mean BEST hair metal band? Michael Angelo Batio is a God amongst guitarists.

That doesn't stop the band from sucking... (Based on the first album and assumption that the second is not different). Also, there are many bands which have very capable members, but still suck.

Chris Broderick is from Jag Panzer and they suck, but he is still one of the most amazing guitarists today.
----
A decapitated head could remain conscious for up to 30 seconds after being removed, offering the victim a truly unique perspective on the world for those last few moments.
21.05.2009 - 20:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 23.04.2009 at 16:26

by the way - has anyone noticed that the Mr Big photo is not even them?? It's David Lee Roth Band line up with Billy Shheehan and steve Vai (I don't remember the drummer's name, my apologies) What can I say but LOL!

I hdan't even noticed that, hahahaha.

I also immensely doubt his knowledge of music for calling Queensrÿche hair metal, but also Y&T hair metal. What the fuck?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.05.2009 - 22:17
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 21.03.2009 at 22:17

Keep in mind this guy probably worships Radiohead.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... What's wrong with that? They are probably my favorite non-hard rock/metal band, and I like to think that I have a good concept of good/bad music.

But yeah, calling Queensrÿche hair metal totally dis-validates any argument that this guy knows what the fuck he's talking about.
21.05.2009 - 22:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 21.05.2009 at 22:17

Written by Doc G. on 21.03.2009 at 22:17

Keep in mind this guy probably worships Radiohead.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... What's wrong with that? They are probably my favorite non-hard rock/metal band, and I like to think that I have a good concept of good/bad music.

But yeah, calling Queensrÿche hair metal totally dis-validates any argument that this guy knows what the fuck he's talking about.

Not only alling Queensryche heair metal disvalidates any argument that this guy knows what he's talking about but also calling Scorpions, Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, Spinal Tap (why the hell name a non-existent band?), Mr. Big (with wrong picture even, of the David Lee Roth band as JohnDoe pointed out hhahahaha), Y&T, Bad english, Whitesnake hair metal is ludicrous. He apparantly thinks all big hair = hair metal (then he should also name quite a lot of 80s thrash bands)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.05.2009 - 22:30
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.05.2009 at 22:24

Not only alling Queensryche heair metal disvalidates any argument that this guy knows what he's talking about but also calling Scorpions, Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, Spinal Tap (why the hell name a non-existent band?), Mr. Big (with wrong picture even, of the David Lee Roth band as JohnDoe pointed out hhahahaha), Y&T, Bad english, Whitesnake hair metal is ludicrous. He apparantly thinks all big hair = hair metal (then he should also name quite a lot of 80s thrash bands)

Yeah, he prob mentioned Spinal Tap, because it's a indie-fag sort of thing to do. And now that I really think about it... you're right. His probably doesn't even listen to these bands outside of the few singles each one put out...
21.05.2009 - 22:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 21.05.2009 at 22:30

... outside of the few singles each one put out...

Exactly, cause he only mentions hitsingles when talking about Extreme (also not hair metal btw) and Mr Big. He probably only heard Is This Love by Whitesnake as well not knowing they are actually a blues based hard rock band (even their popular 1987 and Slip Of The Tongue albums he's probably referring to are blues based and have nothing to do with glam metal, hair metal, poser metal, call it whatever you eant.)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.05.2009 - 11:35
DayFly
Well to be fair, the guy who wrote this is a lot less strict on genre labels as metalheads typically are. I guess for the casual music fan hair metal is term that encompasses anything remotedly related to hard rock in the 80s. His list still sucks btw.
07.07.2009 - 18:10
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Im not a real big fan of the genre except for the occasional hit song/video that shows up on VH1 Classic. But I do have a couple of comments about the bloggers list:

- Dokken on the worst list? They were one of the heavier metal bands of the time. Hair band? Yes. You could call them that but they rocked!
- Queensryche is NOT a hair band
----
rekt
07.07.2009 - 23:45
cortez
Written by HarmonyCorruptio on 24.03.2009 at 20:47

Cherry Orchards was a hilarious video.
----
Sons of vengeance can you rescue me...
08.07.2009 - 06:52
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by cortez on 07.07.2009 at 23:45

Written by HarmonyCorruptio on 24.03.2009 at 20:47

Cherry Orchards was a hilarious video.

hehe...you know what tho? I actually think Celtic Frost's next release..."Vanity/Nemesis" is a fantastic album
----
rekt
08.07.2009 - 08:03
cortez
Written by tea[m]ster on 08.07.2009 at 06:52

hehe...you know what tho? I actually think Celtic Frost's next release..."Vanity/Nemesis" is a fantastic album

I have to admit I never really gave that one a chance based on how terrible Cold Lake was. I'll have to go back and check it out.
----
Sons of vengeance can you rescue me...
21.03.2012 - 21:06
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by -Soulreaper- on 22.04.2009 at 16:49

Written by Introspekrieg on 22.04.2009 at 04:15

Where is Blind Guardian?

In Germany....

LMFAO
22.03.2012 - 01:53
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
I think both lists have their share of good and bad, but overall hair metal is pretty righteous.