Band: Jeff Walker Und Die Fluffers
Album: Welcome To Carcass Cuntry
Release date: May 2006

01. The Man Comes Around [Johnny Cash cover]
02. I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You) [Freddy Fender cover]
03. You're Still On My Mind [Byrds cover]
04. Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down [Kris Kristofferson cover]
05. Mississippi [Red Foley cover]
06. I Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) [Jerry Lee Lewis cover]
07. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry [Hank Williams cover]
08. Once A Day [Bill Anderson / Connie Smith cover]
09. The End Of The World [Sylvia Dee / Skitter Davis cover]
10. Rocky Mountain High [John Denver cover]
11. Keep On Rocking In The Free World [Neil Young cover]

Were you one of those people who, upon discovering that "Keep On Rotting In The New World" on Carcass' Swansong was not in fact a grindcore version of the famous rock hymn, felt a little disappointed? Well, it seems like Jeff Walker has finally decided to fill this gap in for us. We finally get our Neil Young cover, along with ten other country and blues standards butchered by the ex-Carcass vocalist and a bevy of guest musicians, including Ken Owen, Bill Steer, David and Vincent Cavanagh, Billy Gould, Nicke Anderson, Shane Embury and Nick Holmes, to name but a few.

As you can guess, this is quite a weird release. I was expecting Hank Williams III or Al Jourgensen (with his 666 Shooters) to release some sort of country-metal album first but Jeff Walker has beat them to it. It also seems like he has taken a pretty laid-back attitude and recorded what sounds like a collection of songs that a bunch of his metal friends captured during a night of rodeo, heavy drinking and square dancing. In other words, this is not any kind of ground-breaking country metal hybrid that could perhaps point other bands into a fresh new direction. Instead, what we get is some famous songs performed with a metal edge and multiple vocalists (although Waters' anti-melodic rasp dominates). The band is definitely more at home with the faster and more dynamic songs such as "I Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)" and the album closer, although the legendary ballad "Once A Day" also sounds decent in their rendition. This stuff is definitely fun to listen to but otherwise does not do much else for me.

In the end Welcome To Carcass Cuntry is more of a novelty album than a collection of meaningful songs. I suppose you can play it on some of those metalhead parties you go to, or perhaps to make your country-loving friends laugh.

Written on 20.06.2006 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 48 users
20.06.2006 - 01:39
arnibes
Account deleted
This is awfull.

Really great......

Still funny
23.06.2006 - 11:09
Shadowthrone

Keep on rocking inm the free world:cool:
08.11.2006 - 23:03
Undercraft

hmmm this album shouldn't contain the word "carcass" on it, i think it can deceive record buyers into thinking this is an actual Carcass release... when is definitevely not remotely, vaguely similar to carcass
08.11.2006 - 23:47
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
uhh...the HIM dude plays bass on this album? wow...yesterday I heard that Tim Yeung is touring with All That Remains, and now I hear that Ville is playing bass with an ex-Carcass member. Damn, the world really is going to end.
18.04.2009 - 16:56
Rating: 10
HarmonyCorruptio

HIM are shite, but Ville is the real deal. He's a obsessive Cathedral fan, and has helped out lots of great Doom Metal bands, like Amorphis, get that little more exposure by putting them on HIM's tour as support.

Jeff for some reason has loads of friends in Finland. Can't figure out why. Hell, Jeff played a cover of Corporal Jigsore Quandary live with HIM. And Ville was uncredited, he was only listed as a "Singing Janitor", so it's not THAT bad.
16.11.2017 - 02:06
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by HarmonyCorruptio on 18.04.2009 at 16:56

HIM are shite, but Ville is the real deal. He's a obsessive Cathedral fan, and has helped out lots of great Doom Metal bands, like Amorphis, get that little more exposure by putting them on HIM's tour as support.

Jeff for some reason has loads of friends in Finland. Can't figure out why. Hell, Jeff played a cover of Corporal Jigsore Quandary live with HIM. And Ville was uncredited, he was only listed as a "Singing Janitor", so it's not THAT bad.

I have also seen Ville try to worm his way into the backstage of a Fields Of The Nephilim show, only to be mercilessly rejected by the band on the basis of "who the fuck is that?". No idea how that ended up, but it was a pretty awesome thing to watch. Either way, it kinda speaks of his conviction, so I've learned to respect him for it. He just wanted to meet a band he idolized, talk to them and shit. Good effort.

Hits total: 13180 | This month: 16