Reviewer:

825 users:
Band: Cradle Of Filth
Album: Dusk... And Her Embrace
Release date: August 1996

01. Humana Inspired To Nightmare
02. Heaven Torn Asunder
03. Funeral In Carpathia
04. A Gothic Romance (Red Roses For The Devil's Whore)
05. Nocturnal Supremacy [96 version] [japanese bonus]
06. Malice Through The Looking Glass
07. Dusk And Her Embrace
08. The Graveyard By Moonlight
09. Beauty Slept In Sodom
10. Haunted Shores [Feat. Cronos]
11. Hell Awaits [Coffin box bonus] [Slayer cover]
12. Carmilla's Masque [Coffin box bonus]

There has been plenty of debate over the years over this band's musical direction and the motives behind it. But whether you love them or hate them you simply cannot deny that this band has played a major part in bringing some of the darker forms of metal to the fore of this musical sub-culture.

Purely due to their controversial nature it is absolutely imperative we are able to look at their music without any prejudice or preconceived judgements. There was in fact a time when they were well respected in the Black Metal fraternity and this term is used lightly to avoid any immediate accusations of incorrect genre definition.

Accusations aside, "Dusk? And Her Embrace" was a key album in the Cradle of Filth progression. It is hailed by long term fans and detractors alike as the moment when all the elements of their music came into perfect alignment and was indeed a revolutionary collection of songs for either better or worse.

The gothic overtones and soundscapes are immense, the classical influence ever present and the long complex compositions lingering. Musically this album has been written as an ode to the darkest emotions of mankind and is as exquisitely violent as it is morose and beautiful. The songs are continually changing and the complexity of the arrangements and musical commentary cannot be ignored.

Guitars and keyboards combine to make an almighty force entwining each instrument around the other and yet are respectively given the opportunity to seize hold of individual moments within this grand statement of human intensity. The drumming is simply superb, whether we are being treated to the beautiful caressing of symbols over the gothic eeriness which the keyboards offer or being bludgeoned with the speed and ferocity of this human battering ram that is Nicholas Barker, it is always delivered in the most technically adept way possible.

The lyrics are virtually of Shakespearean quality and you will definitely need to study them carefully before you will begin to actually pick up which line is being sung at a particular time. The vocals will always be the one most unique characteristic of this band as Dani Filth shrieks his way from beginning to end in the most inhuman style ever to grace your virgin ears. Once you become accustomed to the vocals they do grow on you, but to fully appreciate this you must give them time to grow. We are also blessed with some lovely, seductive, feminine serenades.

Despite giving to the world some of the most beautifully intense and extreme metal music ever written this band will always be hated in certain circles. In this album they prove beyond any doubt that they had the capabilities of pushing the boundaries of human emotion to entirely new levels and it should definitely be given a fair chance.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Stuart | 05.05.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 282 users
05.05.2008 - 14:49
Rating: 10
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Absolutely agree with you man, great review!
Their best work ever, and my favourite album ever! an amazing piece of dark art, from the vocals to the music and the lyrics... everything is so wild but romantic! I love every single note of this album...
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
05.05.2008 - 16:53
MetalShadow
Account deleted
It's their best album!
06.05.2008 - 03:30
GRIGAL
Account deleted
I agree with your views, Stuart. Personally I always thought that there were too many lyrics crammed into the songs but anyway Dusk is rightly considered one of the great Black Metal albums.
11.05.2008 - 00:58
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I think this one is good. A very good listen and Filth's voice is at its peak here, I should say.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.05.2009 - 19:52
Slayer666

The album is truly.... unique. This kind of atmosphere is unheard of before this album, I think. Giving it a 9 in originality, instead of an 11 is damn unfair.
Dusk...And Her Embrace, The Principle of Evil Made Flesh and Cruelty and The Beast are, in my not-so-modest opinion, the greatest pieces of metal.... or, better, music ever to grace our ears.
20.02.2010 - 06:08
Vonpire

It's not only their best album but also it's my favorite album ever, paired with The Gathering How to Measure a Planet (no, no similarities, i am not sticked to a single type of Metal, like many metal fans are, sadly)

I give this a 10 +

Probably i listend to this album more than 500 times and i still love every single piece of it.

Simply Suberb.
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
06.03.2010 - 00:25
SatyriconChick

Great album. It was one of my addictions back in '96. Particularly love "The Graveyard By Moonlight" and "Haunted Shores."
22.01.2011 - 04:16
sordid

Great review.i totally agree.this is COF's masterpiece and is a masterpiece for music itself,it's sadens me that only metalers can enjoy this beuty landscapes created by COF on this cd...at the same time i feel privileged for known this cd.i have it on digipack...bass black with silver letters...wonderfull.it's my favourite cd...ever!!!!
03.06.2016 - 20:07
Copernicus

Written by Slayer666 on 10.05.2009 at 19:52

The album is truly.... unique. This kind of atmosphere is unheard of before this album, I think. Giving it a 9 in originality, instead of an 11 is damn unfair.
Dusk...And Her Embrace, The Principle of Evil Made Flesh and Cruelty and The Beast are, in my not-so-modest opinion, the greatest pieces of metal.... or, better, music ever to grace our ears.

I hear you man! I totally agree
11.12.2016 - 01:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 11.05.2008 at 00:58

I think this one is good. A very good listen and Filth's voice is at its peak here, I should say.

I have to agree about his voice, its more less he sings actually not have weird blow job sperm swallow caught type of talking when he get caught whit cigarette smoke in his troath .. lol
actually he sings there
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.12.2016 - 12:22
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Bad English on 11.12.2016 at 01:07

I have to agree about his voice, its more less he sings actually not have weird blow job sperm swallow caught type of talking when he get caught whit cigarette smoke in his troath .. lol
actually he sings there

2008? lol That was old. This is probably still my fav COF album, along with Midian. His vocals were quite unique.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
11.12.2016 - 21:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 11.12.2016 at 12:22

Written by Bad English on 11.12.2016 at 01:07

actually he sings there

2008? lol That was old. This is probably still my fav COF album, along with Midian. His vocals were quite unique.

not always but here somehow
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 12297 | This month: 16