05. Nazarenus Peritens
06. Epitome Of Your God
07. Mysterium Tremendum Et Fascinans
08. Manifest
09. Assyria
10. Oath
11. Into Ataraxis
12. The Final Slaugther [Nifelheim cover]

Next in line of the Belgian review series, is "Perverting The Nazarene Cult ", the debut album of Belgian Black Metal band Aguynguerran (God may know how you pronounce it or what that even means. But it almost certain has something to do with Pope Zachary, heretic separation and anathema maranatha). What I do know, is that the band Aguynguerran was formed in the late nineties and has related band connections with Enthroned, Wapenspraak & Drinkgelag, Iconoclasm and Panchrysia, who are certainly not the least among the Belgian Black Metal scene. After releasing two blasphemous demo albums in the Belgian rotten underground, they caught the attention of Shiver Records, who are thus releasing the band's first full-length, with one fine title that can only make Dimmu Borgir jealous.

The music that is currently blasting through my speakers is clinging, anti-Christian traditional Black Metal with room for melodic turns that whip up the atmosphere even more. For sure this is a really intense release and tenacious experience. And let me explain to you why. First of all, this is traditional Black Metal in a quite contemporary form, because the album has the typical (dare I say almost unimaginative) tight Black Metal riffing and drumming drenched with piercing vocal splashes, but the razor-sharp modern production makes this release being both fierce and clean. Due the almost thrashy riffs and pulverizing solos, the tempo on this album is really fast and aggressive, that is, apart from the more melodic mid-tempo parts. And those parts are what make this album so enjoyable actually. It is obvious that this band can do more than just playing tight and being extreme, as they are also not afraid of experimenting with melodic elements. Best example is the ending of "Oath" that sounds almost like an Agalloch rip-off. There are also two instrumental songs on the album, one that is clearly Middle-Eastern inspired, and the other being a violin/cello interlude. And let's not forget the medieval-like symphonic intro (with a segment from the Latin speech from the aforementioned pope where the cult word "Aguynguerran" is mentioned) before unleashing hell. But the annihilation is yet complete after involving the Anti-Christian lyrical themes. The darkness Aguynguerran bring is completely overwhelming after reading the lyrics, while listening to "Perverting The Nazarene Cult" and watching the gloomy booklet pictures and cover art (by Kris Verwimp, known from his work for Marduk, Immortal, Thryrfing and Old Man's Child). Last but not least, this album has also a solid cover of Nifelheim's "The Final Slaughter", which fits perfectly in the overall intensive picture and atmosphere, and will without a doubt amuse a lot of Black Metal appreciators.

Normally I'm not such a big fan of Black Metal myself, but this is really good stuff. And I think that already says enough. When comparing to other bands, Aguynguerran are like a less chaotic and more melodic kind of Enthroned, which can be no surprise if you know that Aguynguerran's guitarist/vocalist is also part of Enthroned these days.
"Perverting The Nazarene Cult" should be something for you if you're looking for some very appealing straight-forward Black Metal, though, which is neither mind-blowing nor innovating.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by Thryce | 10.05.2008

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 82 users
11.05.2008 - 11:49
FOOCK Nam

I just listened to the song Perverting The Nazarene Cult. Very intense.
11.05.2008 - 14:24
FOOCK Nam

Totally agree, full of tradition black metal element. And tradition black metal is BEST. I would give higher rating as 7.5 but also I think 7.3 is quite fair enough.
11.05.2008 - 17:06
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Where can i get this album ? I really like the song Perverting the Nazarene Cult
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
12.05.2008 - 02:18
Varegan
Hamranakara
I downloaded "Perverting The Nazarene Cult" from their website.that was so melodic. I like it!
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
12.05.2008 - 17:21
Bastarex

@Thryce,

You wrote a very decent review of the album "Perverting The Nazarene Cult" by Aguynguerran, I personally find the rating of only 7,3 a bit on the low side; but your rating is surely acceptable, considering this is only the debut album by Aguynguerran!

I personally think that this album is one of the best black metal releases ever, especially for the beautiful intro "Anathema Maranatha" and I'm not just saying this because I'm from Belgium too! Special credits also go to Kris Verwimp for his mighty artwork! Finally, my rating would be: 9,0.

Hits total: 5867 | This month: 4