09. Biomechanic Man
10. Last Kiss Goodbye
11. Dynamite Tonite
12. Monster Monster
13. 13 (Outro)
14. Don't Let My Mother Know [Japanese bonus] [2008 re-issue bonus]
15. Would You Love A Monsterman? [radio edit version] [Japanese bonus]
+ Would You Love A Monsterman? [video]

Welcome to the monster disco! The Finns have finally unleashed their demons from hell, the band Lordi, named after their lead (demon) singer Lordi. The other demons are named: Kita (drums and backing vocals), Enary (Keyboards, Piano and backing vocals), Amen (Guitars and backing vocals) and Kalma (Bass and, you guessed it backing vocals!). Hell, these guys rock and sing and they became a huge sensation in their native country in 2002, when they released their debut album 'Get Heavy' and their two singles 'Would You Love A Monsterman?' and 'Devil Is A Loser'. It's time to get heavy?

With a booklet painted in hell (each page, front and back cover are filled with extravagant art works) and a so very short debut album (38 and a half minutes of playing time) Lordi are hailing from Finland, with a monster of rocking heavy metal sound in their baggage. Dressed as demons / monsters on stage (and rest of their time?) they give us the impression of the devil that has come on earth's surface to get himself some of our souls, and the fins seem willing to give, but not so much the rest of the world (I haven't heard of another country where they could celebrate such tremendous success and I still wonder why? Maybe because of the new metal thing that has become such a trend over the last few years!). Did they appear too late on the landscape of metal? I don't think this is the last time we've heard of them. Indeed there has been a discussion about their sound, yes it does remind me of some good old times, but some people are criticising: this is a pure plagiarism of Kiss and 80's Alice Cooper. But it's not. Other bands have been very inspired by early masters (and monsters) of rock and heavy metal, so why should this band sound different as it does now? To me Lordi create the currently greatest rocksound on the planet and though the album is short it's worth all the money.

Cease the discussion and start rocking to the monster rock show Lordi provide us with. Apart from the outro 13 (which sounds like somebody is being burned while tied up and gagged in a box?!?! very spooky) this is a great album. You don't have to wonder what the deeper meaning of it is. Just some entertaining (even disco-qualified) metal, with an evil-looking band behind it: Yes, you could even say that Marilyn Manson as the incarnation of evil has retired and been replaced by Lordi (judging from their outward appearance)! To make sure for yourself, watch the video that is enhanced as a little bonus track and can be viewed on the pc.

Written by Pierre Tombale | 22.06.2004

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 89 users
15.05.2008 - 03:18
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
9.9? You have got to be kinding me. Maybe a 7.9. You are telling me this album should be ranked alongside "Master of Puppets" or "Operation: Mindcrime" with a rating like that.

Sorry, this is a fun album, but not worthy in any way of that rating.
----
(space for rent)
15.05.2008 - 04:47
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Dane Train on 15.05.2008 at 03:18

9.9? You have got to be kinding me. Maybe a 7.9. You are telling me this album should be ranked alongside "Master of Puppets" or "Operation: Mindcrime" with a rating like that.

Sorry, this is a fun album, but not worthy in any way of that rating.

tooootaly agree!! 9.9!!?? wtf!?
i mean, sure, songs are sticky and fun, but after 3 times at least i got bored, and songs are kinda all alike. still, 9.9 is deserved only by really good albums from really good bands, and barely! i'd give it a 7.9 also, 8.3 tops!!
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
06.05.2011 - 07:37
soadbyob
Account deleted
The only Lordi album I ever listened to for the longest time was the Arockalypse, but I heard this one day and was blown away. Lordi are really underappreciated for good straight-up Heavy Metal
26.01.2012 - 20:31
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Lordi is my favorite hard rock band. I think all their albums are equal in quality, but neither of them deserves an 10.

Hits total: 4340 | This month: 7