Metal Storm logo
Summoning

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 05:32
Starting a new post about this amazing epic/atmospheric black metal band from Austria. Please stay on topic.

"Summoning was formed somewhere in 1993 by Silenius (Michael Gregor), Protector (Richard Lederer) and Trifixion (Alexander Trondl) who met in the sort of pub, where they used to drink. Before his activities in Summoning, Protector was playing drums in a kind of progressive thrash/death metal band "Marlignom", that nearly got a record deal at Peaceville, but in that time the band broke up. His very first musical experience was a rock band (he was 15 years old then ) and a four year study of drums in the music school. The musical experience of Silenius was a doom metal band "Shadow Vale"(at 16 years old) and few years in music school studying piano. Before Summoning, Silenius was making music, together with Pazuzu (Ray Wells) in a band Cromm (They made some demos that sounded like Abruptum, but never released anything else). Trifixion played in Pervertum.

The demos sold quite well in a record shop in Vienna, called "Why not". Some times later Silenius got in contact with T.T.(Thomas Tannenberger), who made an interview with Summoning for the local fanzine TAUB (which was the first Summoning interview).They talked a lot and T.T. told that he wanted to form a band of his own, and gave Silenius a tape with some riffs. That was the birth of Abigor. They kept contact and later Silenius replaced Rune (now singer of Amestigon) and did all vocals for all Abigor releases (except the demos) as a permanent Abigor member. As they recorded the first Abigor album("Verw'stung") for the young Napalm Records label, Silenius got in contact with Max from Napalm. They handled a deal with Summoning and soon Summoning's debut "Lugburz" was released on Napalm. That time Summoning members were: Silenius - vocals, keyboards, bass; Protector - keyboards, guitar; Trifixion - drums; And Pazuzu made some additional vocals and wrote some lyrics (he also was singing in DM way on demos). 1995 was a very creative year for Silenius and Protector, and gave lots of practising experience for them. They were involved in the following bands and projects, and made these releases: Summoning "Lugburz", "Minas Morgul"; Pazuzu "And all was silent"; Grabesmond - demo (There was also P.K. in it); Die Verbannten Kinder Evas "Die Verbannten Kinder Evas" ; Abigor "Nachthymnen"; Ice Ages "Strike the Ground"; Weltenbrand "Das Nachtvolk"; Sanguis et Cinis "Schicksal"

After they recorded "Lugburz", they kicked out Trifixion, who turned out to be a commercial thinking asshole. Guys did not want to get a new drummer and so they continued working with medieval and bombastic keyboard percussion sounds. The result can be heard on "Minas Morgul". So the band then consisted of: Protector - vocals, guitar, keyboards, drum-programming; Silenius - vocals, keyboards, bass.

As "Lugburz", an exercise in raw, Abigor-style black metal, was a "first try", and was totally different from all future material, its follow-up "Minas Morgul" was "the crown" of Summoning creation. It opened new horizons for Summoning and for BM music in general. The album was totally inspired by Tolkien themes (as all their later stuff), and was a magnificent epic/ambient BM. "Minas Morgul" contained much of the material from old demos (of course it was made in a very different way).

The next greatest album "Dol Guldur", came to light at 1996. "Dol Guldur" continued "Minas Morgul" musical and lyrical wise, and surely was the a progression in Summoning creativity. On "Dol Guldur" the music from Protector's dark/EBM project Ice Ages also can be heard ("Over Old Hills" theme is taken from "Trapped and Scared" Ice Ages song).

After this album, Summoning stopped their activity, till 1999.They also stopped their work in almost all other bands.

After a long silence, Summoning exploded with new album "Stronghold" in May 1999, forcing everybody to open their eyes and clean their ears. Album was recorded in "Nachtschatten studio" which is the home-studio of Protector, and was engineered and mixed by members of band themselves.
"Stronghold" surely showed some new ways in Summoning musical experience. On the new album, guest-singer Tania, who has also replaced Julia in Die Verbannten Kinder Evas, appeared in a song "Where hope and daylight dies", which was surely a new step for Summoning.Silenius left Abigor (Vocalist from Heidenreich replaced him) due to the lack of interest and style change, and started to work on the new industrial project Kreuzweg Ost (which is near to be released on Napalm) together with Martin Schrienk from Pungent Stench. Protector left "Whispers in the Shadows", after a new album "November", and recorded a new album "In Darkness let me dwell" with Die Verbannten Kinder Eva's (it was released at 22 of Nov.).

In the year 2001 the follow up "Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame" was released. This release was a kind of combination between the old and new style of Summoning. That means that the keyboard lines had been more epic and polyphonic again while the more complex and melodic guitar-style was more close to Stronghold. This time the band used more spoken-word samples to bring a more dramaturgic style to the songs and for the first time the band works with clear vocal choires on the finishing song of the album called "Farwell". The lyrical concept again was totally based on Tolkiens middle earth concept, but for the first time it was combined with some lyrics from another great fantasy author namely "Michael Moorcock". "
12.10.2009 - 05:34
Lord_Regnier

Written by VPeter on 12.10.2009 at 03:18

If you already hate Elffor's cover you will surely hate the rest, that cover is decent compared to the rest. You already said one of the problems of this tribute album " I don't think any other band can play Summoning's music like Summoning are doing because it's a band who has its own style and sound." that is correct, for example Theudho's cover of "Marching Homewards" is technically good but it's played like any average pagan black metal band - destroying all the original atmosphere. I also don't understand all these beginner bands on this album . Why the hell would you cover an excellent song that you know barely needs improvement? And how cocky can you be to expect praise for it, when you know perfectly well you are just rookie and don't have the materials and talent yet to make professional good songs.

I haven't heard Elffor's cover. I meant that I heard some Elffor songs and they were all utter crap.
I would bet my right arm the cover sucks, because Elffor is a shit band with ridiculous vocals (it's like hearing a baby crying).

As for bands covering Summoning's music, I think the only band who could make really good covers of Summoning's songs would be Kinstrife And Blood.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
12.10.2009 - 17:26
Lord_Regnier

I finally listened to the songs on the Myspace page. They're only pale imitations of the originals and reek amateurism.

What would be interesting, imo, is a compilation of NEW, ORIGINAL songs made by different bands. I mean Tolkien-related songs in the same vein as what Summoning are doing, but new songs from other bands. Something that could be kinda similar to Summoning, yet at the same time different. Something with its own identity. Not remakes of the same songs.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
14.10.2009 - 07:34
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Yes indeed summoning is something everyone should enjoy
29.11.2009 - 10:57
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Now it came to my mind...are there any news about promised album? now it seems it was just hoax...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.11.2009 - 15:30
Tryggve

I´ve got their stuff on the computer but haven´t really listened to it yet, despite being interested and loving epic music. Any tips on what albums to go for first? Listen in any specific order etc?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I figured this was the best place to ask
----
[cult of self-esteem]..leads to a nation without great men, a nation mainly of subliterates, full of the cocksureness which flattery breeds on ignorance, and quick to snarl or whimper at the first sign of criticism.

- C.S Lewis
29.11.2009 - 16:22
Calendula

Written by Ellrohir on 29.11.2009 at 10:57

Now it came to my mind...are there any news about promised album? now it seems it was just hoax...

There were never any promises about the album, Protector did some song fragments and that's it, we'll see sooner or later what's going on with it.
29.11.2009 - 17:29
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Tryggve on 29.11.2009 at 15:30

Any tips on what albums to go for first? Listen in any specific order etc?

well currently i am often listening to all of them chronologically (add all songs into playlist and then simply listen and listen) and it is good way

i would suggest to start with Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame, then Oath Bound, then Stronghold, then Minas Morgul and finally Dol Guldur...their first full length - Lugburz is kinda different from other albums (more "black metal" than "atmospheric epic") and i even dont like it much, so i didnt count it in the list...but each album has its moments and even cannot decide which proclaim to be the best...one period of time i say LMHSYF wins it all, but now i am doubting as there is simply at least 3 superb songs on each of these 5 albums
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.01.2010 - 21:49
Detric
King Of Twilight
Heard something about these guys doing programmed drums? True or false? Sounds like they are programmed at times and its starting to annoy me..
17.01.2010 - 22:34
VPeter

Written by Detric on 17.01.2010 at 21:49

Heard something about these guys doing programmed drums? True or false? Sounds like they are programmed at times and its starting to annoy me..

Programmed yes, except for the debut. It's their own choice by the way, they think it sounds more true in the atmosphere they try to set and I agree.
17.01.2010 - 23:12
Detric
King Of Twilight
Written by VPeter on 17.01.2010 at 22:34

Programmed yes, except for the debut. It's their own choice by the way, they think it sounds more true in the atmosphere they try to set and I agree.

Really? I thought it was because they couldnt find any drummer haha. Oh well, thanks for the info. Its always something that they chose to do it, and not cause of any other reason. Only been listening to couple of their songs, which one is the best album?
17.01.2010 - 23:46
VPeter

Written by Detric on 17.01.2010 at 23:12

Written by VPeter on 17.01.2010 at 22:34

Really? I thought it was because they couldnt find any drummer haha. Oh well, thanks for the info. Its always something that they chose to do it, and not cause of any other reason. Only been listening to couple of their songs, which one is the best album?

Many consider Stronghold their best, so you may try that one first. I prefer Dol Guldur and Oath bound over that one though. All of there albums are good, except for their debut which pretty average as it's just plain symphonic black metal and not their epic style. There are only actually 2 albums that are a bit harder to get in to and that is Minas morgul, because it's quite rough in production and Let Mortal Heroes sing your fame for it's massive amount of neoclassical influence. Overall I think Stronghold is the best one to start with and afterwards you can try Dol Guldur and Oath bound after that.
18.01.2010 - 00:24
Detric
King Of Twilight
Awesome thanks a lot.
18.01.2010 - 14:10
Inlé

I'd say Let Mortals and Stronghold are their most accessable albums, personally. May as well start anywhere other than the début though, as all the full lengths since are brilliant. Personally, my favourite Summoning album is Dol Guldur and the Nightshade Forests EP. The oft-overlooked Mirkwood an the Mountain King's Return are my favourite songs by them, definitely.

+ Boo to the Elffor hate a few posts up :X The Elffor cover of Kortirion Among the Trees did suck though, granted.
27.01.2010 - 10:59
Coté

I haven't listened that much to Summoning, but I have to say that the song Land Of The Dead really impressed me. It was the best I've heard in years, all that sorrow, anger and guilt that're felt in the melody and lyrics. It's just amazing, it really makes me almost cry
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
27.01.2010 - 18:49
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Coté on 27.01.2010 at 10:59

I haven't listened that much to Summoning, but I have to say that the song Land Of The Dead really impressed me. It was the best I've heard in years, all that sorrow, anger and guilt that're felt in the melody and lyrics. It's just amazing, it really makes me almost cry

If you like that song you should really check out their other stuff, I guess you would like that too
01.02.2010 - 12:26
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Summoning is amazing. they sound so impossibly epic and great. if they ever tour, it would be a dream come true for me
02.02.2010 - 20:21
Inlé

Yeah...

Focusing on Land of the Dead is a real recurring pitfall when it comes to this band. Honestly, it's under average by their standards. And anyone who is focusing on that one song owes it to themselves to listen to more. I'm not being snobby, as Land of the Dead was one of the first Summoning songs I latched onto back in 07 when I first heard their material (it is one of their most "accessable") but when I first heard stuff like Like Some Snow-White Marble Eyes, Mirkwood, Over Old Hills etc I was hooked.

And now if there's any band I come close to being a raging fanboy over, it's this one XD
05.09.2010 - 21:00
RavenKing

Written by Valentin B on 01.02.2010 at 12:26

Summoning is amazing. they sound so impossibly epic and great. if they ever tour, it would be a dream come true for me

They said they will never play live because the nature of the music makes it too hard to re-create on stage. Their music is not meant to be played live.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
22.01.2012 - 20:24
RavenKing

I got no information about Summoning recently but the status of the band on Encyclopedia Metallum now says "On hold".
Not that I'm surprised as it takes forever to release the next album (if there is really one coming).
----
22.01.2012 - 20:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 05.09.2010 at 21:00

They said they will never play live because the nature of the music makes it too hard to re-create on stage. Their music is not meant to be played live.

A piss poor excuse if ask me. If Secret Chiefs 3 can pull off live performances then replicating Summoning's music on stage would be a piece of cake.
22.01.2012 - 20:48
RavenKing

Written by Guest on 22.01.2012 at 20:31

Written by RavenKing on 05.09.2010 at 21:00

A piss poor excuse if ask me. If Secret Chiefs 3 can pull off live performances then replicating Summoning's music on stage would be a piece of cake.

I don't know. Some bands simply don't like playing live or have no interest for it.
----
22.01.2012 - 20:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by RavenKing on 22.01.2012 at 20:48
I don't know. Some bands simply don't like playing live or have no interest for it.

Hehehe well, I'll take my chances here and I'll bet that what Joe thinks is that even saying "I'm not interested/don't like playing live" is a FAR better excuse than "The nature of our music is hard to re-create live"... Which I happen to agree with. If you don't like it, you just say it how it is... Not going a bit pretentious with the "nature of our music" stuff.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.01.2012 - 21:42
Vombatus
Potorro
I think no one knows anything about a new record.... but I did read on the MA forum that Silenius (or was it Protector?) has a new album out from a side project, so definitely they're still active. There was also a rumour saying that Protector (or was it Silenius?) had a heart-attack and it fucked up the plans and stuff.... since all that is unconfirmed, it sounds like bullshit (or at least I hope so).
As much as I love the band, I'm not specially impatient with a new record since I still enjoy the old albums like the first day, and there is always lots of stuff to discover while we wait.
22.01.2012 - 23:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Vombatus on 22.01.2012 at 21:42

As much as I love the band, I'm not specially impatient with a new record since I still enjoy the old albums like the first day, and there is always lots of stuff to discover while we wait.

Same feelings here... and this chat makes me want to visit one of their cds now yey.
----
Rod, let me love you.
23.01.2012 - 00:16
Slayer666

I dunno, I'd personally prefer if more bands adopted that mindset. Darkspace immediately springs to mind.
26.02.2012 - 01:13
Children of Tyr

Summoning is definitely one of the greatest bands ever. So, it seems only fitting that my first post on this site is on a forum about one of my favorite bands. Stronghold is hands down my favorite album, but I have to touch on the subject of the tribute album "...and in the darkness bind them."

Someone made a comment about how it reeks of amateurism. It does. You're right. That's because all of the bands ARE amateur with the exception of a couple. I had a hand in making the album, and it was NEVER to be intended for official release. The bands were approached and asked to participate and was intended to be created by FANS. Most of the bands are "one man" bands and are fans of Summoning. They aren't high quality, top notch bands. Most of them did their shit in their own homes and had them sent off for mastering. Studio time is expensive.

And to the idiot complaining about "getting off their asses" and writing their own music... last I knew, most of the bands HAD their own demos or full lengths out or were at least working towards that. Besides, at least they actually DID something, right? Instead of whining about it in their mom's basement like some people on here. Which brings me to another point this genius made... covers aren't made to "copy" another artist. They're made to pay TRIBUTE. Hence the phrase "Tribute album." I personally think it's awesome when a band covers a song slightly different than the original. So what if Griefshire has tons of double kick drums, in many ways, it creates a powerful atmosphere as does the original, but in a different way. Who cares if Frekkr's synth sounds are a little thin, it creates a cool dissonance not found in the original. You just have to look at it from another angle and enjoy it for what it is, and not for what the original is. Mischosen's vocals are fantastic, if not a little over powering. You can hear some cheap reverb on it, but it makes for an original take on a classic song.

The problem is that Summoning is a superb band with an incredibly loyal fan base. This could have been a tribute album by the industry's best artists, and it would STILL get negative press. That's just the nature of the beast.
26.02.2012 - 03:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
^ Cool story, bro

Written by Slayer666 on 23.01.2012 at 00:16

I dunno, I'd personally prefer if more bands adopted that mindset. Darkspace immediately springs to mind.

I didn't get this comment. What mindset? not playing live?
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.02.2012 - 14:31
Slayer666

Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.02.2012 at 03:44

I didn't get this comment. What mindset? not playing live?

Yup. Personally, I think some music should just not be played live. I think I'd be bored out of my mind if, say, Varg gathered up some musicians decided to perform his old classics live. It would loose so much of its appeal.
26.02.2012 - 17:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Slayer666 on 26.02.2012 at 14:31
Yup. Personally, I think some music should just not be played live. I think I'd be bored out of my mind if, say, Varg gathered up some musicians decided to perform his old classics live. It would loose so much of its appeal.

Darkspace does play live though. I also fully disagree with you, I'm with Joe on this subject. Anything can be played live, from heavy to black, from thrash to drone, ambient, etc... Doing it well is a completely different question.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.12.2012 - 16:11
Vombatus
Potorro
Anyone knows if the demo tapes rerelease ("The Demon Tapes ... Anno Mortui Domini 1959-1961 (2CD)") is an official release ? Didn't see any mention of it on their website.